Countdown to the NFBC

Glenneration X

Re: Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:You know, Glenn, zero is a number too, right? :D
Only because Doughy asked, and when Doughy asks one answers...... ;)

Yes, there are ZERO DAYS 'til the NFBC Live Drafts and Auctions!!!! TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!

I started this thread way back in December as Christmas was approaching. As Mikey mentioned above on this thread, and Greg & Jupinka mentioned on others, today feels like Christmas all over again.
As my Christmas, Hannukah, and even Kwanzaa in Spring wish to all of you, may each of the scoreboards for games your pitchers are in all look like the picture above :D .... but none for those of your hitters :shock: .

Good luck again to everyone in your drafts and auctions today and in the week and a half ahead and I personally really look forward to getting together and starting off my live drafts with my Buds in Mahwah tonight!!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:02 am

Glenneration X wrote:Thanks Wayne, it was a blast putting together. Even the Mets-envy from the misguided Cubs, Phils, and Yanks fans who'd visit this thread added to the fun. :D

Now the real fun starts in just a few more days. Catch you in Vegas next week my friend.
Sitting right next to you next week my friend....looking forward to it! :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:Thanks Wayne, it was a blast putting together. Even the Mets-envy from the misguided Cubs, Phils, and Yanks fans who'd visit this thread added to the fun. :D

Now the real fun starts in just a few more days. Catch you in Vegas next week my friend.
Sitting right next to you next week my friend....looking forward to it! :D
The only good thing about getting my 14th KDS choice my friend, but don't steal all my guys. ;) See you next week Bud.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am

Glenneration X wrote:Yesterday was a bit of a cold and snowy day on Long Island, the perfect day to finally crack open my Forecaster and start my prep for the coming NFBC season. I enjoyed a few hours looking over the "numerish" and the "blurbs" and finally getting my head back into getting ready for our drafts. It's about time. After all, it's only 60 Days 'til this info will be put to use. I've got plenty of prep to go and I'd better get to it because in 60 days I'll have to decide.....

Hu's on first......

Wood's on second......

....and 3rd base? Dunn-o. :D

I know, I know. Terrible. Well whatta ya expect? I had 100 of these to come up with.
Occasionally you might get a clunker. ;) :D :P

Of course these guys did it much better.

I loved Abbott and Costello as a kid, used to watch them on Sunday mornings. Great stuff. Here's a link to the original sketch if anyone would like to see it again.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

Winter can be long and brutal, although here outside of Chicago it's been the mildest winter I've ever remembered. None the less, it's still winter.

Baseball though looms on the horizon, it "marks the time".

But how much time?

Pitchers and Catchers report in just under two weeks, then the WBC and the Main Event, all leading up to Opening Day.

I went to the NFBC home page to see the Opening Day countdown clock to find out just how much longer we have to wait until "play ball" is said in earnest. Unfortunately, the clock is not set. Nothing but 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 :shock:

Then I remembered this GREAT thread created by Glenn last year. Actually, I sort of miss-remembered it. I thought it was a countdown to Opening Day, when it really was a countdown to the Main Event.

So I thought, just for one day, 60 days from Opening Day , it would be a great opportunity to bring Glenn's thread back to life.

Everyone, do yourself a favor and go back to page 1 of these post and read all 14 pages. It might not take the chill out of the winter air, it might not make the Main Event or Opening Day come any faster, but it will give you a couple of minutes of enjoyment :)
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am

Yes Glenn, time to begin the countdown. A friend of mine wanted to share her reaction to my first 3 picks (as well as my lack of closers) from the contract league....

surprised cat.png
surprised cat.png (19.51 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Navel Lint wrote: Winter can be long and brutal, although here outside of Chicago it's been the mildest winter I've ever remembered. None the less, it's still winter.

Baseball though looms on the horizon, it "marks the time".

But how much time?

Pitchers and Catchers report in just under two weeks, then the WBC and the Main Event, all leading up to Opening Day.

I went to the NFBC home page to see the Opening Day countdown clock to find out just how much longer we have to wait until "play ball" is said in earnest. Unfortunately, the clock is not set. Nothing but 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 :shock:

Then I remembered this GREAT thread created by Glenn last year. Actually, I sort of miss-remembered it. I thought it was a countdown to Opening Day, when it really was a countdown to the Main Event.

So I thought, just for one day, 60 days from Opening Day , it would be a great opportunity to bring Glenn's thread back to life.

Everyone, do yourself a favor and go back to page 1 of these post and read all 14 pages. It might not take the chill out of the winter air, it might not make the Main Event or Opening Day come any faster, but it will give you a couple of minutes of enjoyment :)
Thanks for the shout out Russ and the blast from last year's off-season. Even with some of the picture links now expired, it was fun for me quickly skimming through this thread and being reminded of the back and forth posts I enjoyed with some of my fellow NFBC brethren.

It wasn't always easy coming up with a new theme for 100 straight days, but it was always fun.

Be cool and enjoy the 53 days 'til this years NFBC. ;)

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:10 am

Glenneration X wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 am
I know we've all been waiting for this day. There are certain players and certain numbers that are so synonymous, so iconic, they require no prolonged introduction, no theme nor buildup to create heightened interest or anticipation. Just the memories of their greatness is enough. So without further ado, I present to you one last pitch from......

The most awesome thread in NFBC history. The message boards aren't what they once were, I know I don't read them very often, but this Countdown post was enjoyed by everyone. Glenn did a beautiful job and he never missed an opportunity to show us one of his favorite players and greatest pitcher in Mets history. Unfortunately some of the photos are no longer available. RIP Tom Terrific.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:07 pm

From another era where the THOUGHT of sitting out a game to "protest" would have gotten you an ice bath...not just for the elbow!

Goodbye Tom Terrific! You are missed.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer