Will Fielder Return To The Brewers?

Tom Kessenich

Will Fielder Return To The Brewers?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 pm

A report today said there's a 99% chance the Nationals won't sign Prince Fielder. I've thought all along the market wouldn't be great for Prince and his best bet would be to return to Milwaukee - especially if he was serious about winning. Would Fielder be willing to return to the Brewers on a one-year deal or could the two sides work out something multi-year but not in the range Fielder has been seeking?

The market has been dwindling for Fielder and while it may be a pipe dream I do think there's still a chance Fielder could return to the Brewers. After all, he loves it there, loves his teammates and it's obviously a winning situation (depending on what happens with Braun).

Stay tuned.

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... s&c_id=was
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Captain Hook

Re: Will Fielder Return To The Brewers?

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Not sure if the Brewers would be willing to be creative enough to actually offer an olive branch that Fielder would accept....but it might be best for both of them

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 pm

If I am prince i am calling ryan madson and asking wtf happened with the phillies. Madson may not answer and boras may get pissed that I called but those are some major $ that madson lost and they may be gone forever. Every year boras does this and every year guys like dough write long articles about boras- but he produces- which is his job. This year the game may be up because there might not be the $ out there. I think prince needs darvish to not sign with texas because if he doesn't they will surely come after prince. darvish needs to sign or not sign before the next domino falls.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

You know how I feel about Boras.
Another domino that may need to fall is the Brewers ridding themselves of KRod's salary.
He was supposed to be a chip for the pennant race. They didn't sign up to have an expensive set-up man to start the year.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Scott signs with Tampa and another dh spot dries up for Damon.
Banner year for Boras...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:You know how I feel about Boras.
Another domino that may need to fall is the Brewers ridding themselves of KRod's salary.
He was supposed to be a chip for the pennant race. They didn't sign up to have an expensive set-up man to start the year.
Agree 100% here Dan. They are paying KRod TOP closer type money to set up Axford and I have to think that Doug Melvan wasn't thinking that was a possibility when they offered him arbitration. Either way I just don't see the Brewers taking a $150 Million plunge on the Prince. They already have Braun signed up long term to be the face of the franchise and I don't believe they want 25%+ of their their payroll going to one guy.

The Nationals are the team for Prince. They are going to be ready to Win in the next couple of years and this is the only year that they can get a big bat and don't have to out pay the BoSox and / or Yankee's to get it. Time will tell, but I think the Nationals take the Boras bate and make the deal.
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 am

I think Prince is going to sign with the Blue Jays for a 5 years deal worth $110 million.Boras always seem to find 1 team to bail him out of his stupidity each year.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:53 am

Roy's Outlaws wrote:I think Prince is going to sign with the Blue Jays for a 5 years deal worth $110 million.Boras always seem to find 1 team to bail him out of his stupidity each year.
The sad thing is that the Brewers offered Prince 5 years for $100 million at the beginning of last season and it was rejected. After last season's performance, there's no doubt the Brewers would have gone to $120 million over 5 years, but didn't want to extend past 5-6 years. When Boras started talking 10 years at $200+ million, the Brewers knew they couldn't contend. Now the way things are going, they probably could have.

I don't see any way he returns to Milwaukee. They spent on Aramis Ramirez and they still have K-Rod for too much. I wish they could retain him, but when Tom Haudricourt says there's no chance he returns I believe him. Boras overplayed his hand and his best hope now is Texas not signing Yu Darvish and turning their attention to Prince. Or he better hope someone at the Dodgers thinks this signing could actually help the value of the team and dives in. Maybe Toronto, but not Seattle or Washington from the looks of things. Should be interesting.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 am

I'll be very disappointed with Melvin if it turns out he misread the market for Fielder and Prince signs for lesser money elsewhere and the Brewers cashed out by signing lesser players prematurely. If I could see this was going to be a limited market for Fielder Melvin should have seen it too.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:07 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:I'll be very disappointed with Melvin if it turns out he misread the market for Fielder and Prince signs for lesser money elsewhere and the Brewers cashed out by signing lesser players prematurely. If I could see this was going to be a limited market for Fielder Melvin should have seen it too.
Tom, as a part time Brewers fan being from Wisconsin myself, I think its Boras and Prince who misread the market not Melvin. Melvin did what he could do within the Brewers Market and after Pujols signed that mega deal in LA, NOBODY thought Prince would be signing a 5 year $100 Million dollar deal. I still think he gets $150 Million+ in the end and that still puts him out of the Brewers plans in my opinion, even without ARam at 3B or KRod as a Set Up man.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 am

I agree Boras as of today appears to have misread the market. My concern is Fielder ends up getting less than he wanted and the Brewers have no chance to get in on the action because they walked away prematurely and spent money on lesser players. I hope that doesn't happen but if it does Melvin will deserve a strong heaping of criticism.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 am

I think this is a rare misstep by Boras.

We are talking big bucks here and the top free-spenders (Yanks, Phillies, Red Sox) already had their 1B locked up. Angels were next and signed Pujols. White Sox have two (Dunn, Konerko). Mets and the Dodgers used to play with the big boys, but both are more moderate now due to their team circumstances. Rangers won last year with a less than $100m salary and must use their bucks to shore up the pitching staff. Tigers have Miggy. Giants will see if Belt can measure up.

Most of these factors have been pretty much known. That leaves the Cubbies and the Cardinals in the teams that project out to $100m plus salaries. Tough to generate much spin between only two teams. And a 25 HR guy named Perez will be someone's option.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 am

I never thought the Cubs were a realistic option because they have so many holes it made no sense whatsoever to splurge on one big free agent. It would have been extremely foolish of them to sign Fielder.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:02 am

I still think he goes to the Nats. They met with Boras last night. They would then have to find a home for adam laroche....probably paying some of his salary to do so.

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:I never thought the Cubs were a realistic option because they have so many holes it made no sense whatsoever to splurge on one big free agent. It would have been extremely foolish of them to sign Fielder.
As much as I like Prince and wanted the Cubs to make this splash, I agree Tom. What they did with Rizzo is much smarter long term and as they continue to get rid of bad contracts and hopefully other pieces like Garza to restock the farm system, they will have plenty of time to spend on Free Agents.
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:09 pm

LA Times beat writer Bill Shaikin just reported that the Brewers had previously offered Fielder a one-year deal to return and Boras turned it down. He didn't say when it was offered but perhaps this is something the two sides could re-visit if Fielder doesn't end up liking what's out there.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:13 pm

A 1 Year Deal for the Brewers would be Great for the Crew. They are set up to win now and still have both Greinke and Marcum for locked up for 1 more year. With ARam coming on Board at 3B, this would be HUGE for Milwaukee, but still highly unlikely.

I am still a little shocked Baltimore hasn't dipped their toe in yet on the Fielder Sweepstakes. They made a large push for Texiera a few years ago and it seems like this would help them compete in the AL East a bit more. Young team, lots of talent...
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Jarbel

Post by Jarbel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm

The nationals are the so called front runners but if they lock up Prince long term that could hurt them in the future with Zimmerman Strasburg Harper Morse and possibly anthony Rendon long term especially with the luxury tax looming. Rangers have Michael young and Moorland at 1st. Add Prince to the mix and that becomes a messed up situation. Baltimore prolly has the money but does Prince want to go though more losing? Baltimore is far from being a contender unless Britton Matsuz and Arrietta figure it out this year.

Now the Brewers yes krod is costly but if Melvin and MA didnt want him or have a possible plan they wouldn't have offered krod arbitration. MA wants a winning team and besides him being an owner hes also a fan. Yes Prince turned down a 5fan year deal but when nobody was happy playing under grandpa aka Macha why would he accept the deal? If Macha was still the coach I bet Braun doesn't accept the extension considering how he even complained about playing for Macha. Best case scenario for Prince would sign a big 1-3 year deal then hit the market again when hes 30. I still say dint count Milwaukee out they've been able to pull of some moves that have surprised us. (Marcum, Grienke, Krod, Tplush)

Jarbel

Post by Jarbel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

I would also count the Cubbies and Cardinals out. Cubbies just got Rizzo and hes only 22 and cardinals have Berkman and 1st with the outfield Im sure Holliday, jay, Beltran. That middle of the order will create late inning headaches with Berkman and Beltran as switch hitters.

Also Carlos Pena and Kotchman are both still out there and they noth are better defensively than Fielder

BEF

Post by BEF » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm

I see three possibilities:

1) Texas if they don't sign Darvish. Mitch Moreland isn't going to block him, and neither will 36 year old Michael Young, who can still play multiple positions and let Prince DH 1-2 times per week.

2) Washington, whose owner will not let one year of LaRoche at $8m get in the way. They could easily eat $5m of that contract and send him to Tampa, where he's a very good fit, and pick up another decent pitcher in return.

3) The "sleeper" could be the Dodgers. They have 1b open, and they're about to sell the team for well over $1 billion. The new ownership groups have already been identified, and I have to believe that this topic has already been discussed with all of them ("would you be willing to take on a $200m contract with Fielder as a condition of your purchase?"). It's a very competitive market, and the Angels have surpassed them in many areas so this would get them pretty close back to even in the PR area.

All three of these teams look to be quite competitive over the next 3 to 6 years and they all have a need at the position. I just don't see any other team matching up as well, from either a financial or competition standpoint.
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

Jarbel

Post by Jarbel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 am

If the Rangers dont get Darvish i dont think offense is going to be their concern. Maybe Moorland doesnt block Prince but to keep Napolis bat in the lineup they'll have him play 1st and dh also. Yes young can every position but if everyone remains healthy he might only be 1b and dh. Also at what point do you look at moving cruz or Hamilton to 1b or DH to keep them healthy?

Nationals i could see if Prince was willing to go short term. Washington could have an outfield of werth, harper, morse. Zimmerman 3rd Prince 1st? Rendon odd man out? Also with the luxury tax looming I think Washington is going to be careful what they spend. In a few years they will have some big contracts to dish out.

Dodgers i could see if ownership situation gets fixed quickly which seems like it is.

Houston i think would make sense if they were more competitive and wanted to spend the money. Have Prince play 1st for a few years then switch him to dh since they are switching leagues.

I still wouldn't count out the crew for a lucurative short term deal especially if Brauns verdict comes out while Prince is still a FA. MA will still want to field a competitive team and missing Braun for 50 will hurt.