Best prep you can do !

rockitsauce

Best prep you can do !

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 am

After listening to the BaseballHQ guys just rip one of my recent acquisitions (Carlos Quentin)...that guy cost me $51 REAL dollars in MLBC :shock: I was ready to just turn them off, but remembered the REAL reason I clicked on this particular podcast in the 1st place - the interview w/ 2 time NFBC Overall Champ Lindy Hinkelman. Very definitely :mrgreen: (Harold Nichols really likes that phrase)

Who better to learn how to win this contest than from a guy who's done it...TWICE !!! :mrgreen: :shock: ;)

Lindy talked about the key players from last yr's Championship team and also his past playing in CDM lge's, as well as his 'strategy' for winning in high stakes fantasy baseball. He is an avid reader of Shandler's Forecaster every winter, feels it provides all the info you need, and spends a lot of time studying (while others are busy finding pic's of crappy Met players :twisted: , I kid b/c I care Glenn!)

When asked what's the secret? How are you so successful at this NFBC format? Lindy replied that he had some down years in the past and decided from then on that "if I'm gonna lose, I'm gonna lose w/ my players". He went on again to comment about the prep work he does in the off season. For more detailed info you'll hafta listen to the podcast yourself, it's well worth it ;)

One of my fav responses by Lindy was when he was asked about his pitching staff from last yr. He said, "I led off w/ Justin Verlander, who I had 2 yrs ago when I won the thing". WHEN I WON THE THING Is this guy a peach or what? When I won the thing! He sounds like A Prairie Home Companion w/ Garrison Keillor ! So nice & simple.

Last yr I was rooting for KJ b/c I've gotten to know him thru the MLBC lge's he runs and his presence on MB has always been a smart, funny guy. Plus, to be perfectly honest its hard for me to root for a man who makes his living killing animals that are smarter than dogs. After listening to the interview I am a big LINDY fan ! (I still feel bad for the pigs :( ) He just strikes me as a good egg, honest, and extremely self deprecating. He was asked about punting and most would think a canned reply like, "no you can't punt any category" would have been his response. Wrong! He noted how another NFBC player punted saves an won the overall auction championship, "handily". He does NOT have the ego of a person who's had the amount of success that he has. He's the guy who scores the TD and nonchalantly hands the ball to the ref.

Lastly, it made me very happy that Lindy is a fan of our beloved game, BASEBALL. He's not just some guy scanning boxscores and trying to crunch #'s in order to win money. He does look at the different stats and so forth in his prep work, but you can tell that he really loves the game itself. The Baseball HQ interviewers noticed that Lindy mentioned actually watching different players play (Lindy loves watching Verlander, I think if I had him on my team last yr I would too :lol: ) He said, "I watch a lot of the games..I'm not, by any means, a professional scout". When asked about attending games and how w/ his NFBC winnings "heaven knows you can afford it", he replied, "it helps. I do enjoy it, it's kind of my passion...baseball".

After listening to that podcast I feel better about my own "strategies". I'll be damned if I'm gonna shy away from a player b/c this or that expert is down on him. I've been watching baseball for over 30 yrs. I think its time to trust my own intuition. Thank you Lindy. Congrats again on a fine career thus far!

* I forgot about Lindy's answer to the question of drafting Adam Dunn..."it depends" :mrgreen: :twisted: I'm w/ you Lindy, everybody comes w/ a price and if the price for Dunn is cheap enough he's worth a shot.
Always be closing.

Sack

Re: Best prep you can do !

Post by Sack » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Rockit:

Well written, and I can't tell you how true your words ring. I met the world's most famous Pig Farmer
in the Summer of 2001. I had been playing the CDM Diamond Challenge for a few years and several players were
able to correspond on a message board called the "bbs". We were from all parts of the United States and Canada,
but organized an East Coast trip to all meet and greet in June of that Summer. It was a blast and the start of some
life long friendships. The first game was a Doubleheader in Philadelphia at the Vet. All the guys got together and
did the intro's in the parking lot, tailgate style. I ended up striking a baseball conversation with Mr Hinkelman, known
by his CDM nickname of "Beaver", and his passion for the sport shined. I asked him what he did for a living. He responded
that he was a Pig Farmer. Being a "city" guy from the East Coast that works in law enforcement I quickly brought the
conversation back to baseball. It was truly our Universal language. I'm honored to say that we formed a friendship
that continues on strong today, despite the different livelihoods. My Dad passed away in the Summer of 2000. The
one thing my Dad and I could always talk about was baseball. When I lost him, it left a giant void. My Son, now my full partner in crime in these games as many of the NFBC players are aware, was to young to step into that "baseball" role. Lindy
became that baseball sounding board and we became partners in the CDM games and I eventually talked him into
"leaving the farm" and travelling to Las Vegas to take part in these "new drafts". He was hesitant at first, but gave it
a shot. We started with the now defunct WCOFB, until the NFBC was formed by Greg Ambrosius a year later. We held to our roots and considered the "CDM CREW" our baseball family. Gene McCaffrey, who publishes Wiseguy Baseball, was THE voice we respected the most in the fantasy/roto world of baseball and he was and is instrumental in making us all better players. I don't know if Gene is publishing a "Wiseguy" this year, but if he does it comes highly recommended.

I write this to you and all potential "new" players that if you have a passion for Baseball, LINDY is a great story that we can all relate to in this hobby. He is just as you describe him. A great Champion that is still to this day quiet and unassuming. Just don't mistake the "nice guy" persona on Draft Day. He has, and always will, want to beat you in at the
draft table. Lindy has never played for second place. While some have aspirations to win leagues, Lindy has always been focused on the top overall spot. It is his makeup and he is damn good at what he does. If you think the radio interview or NY Times piece was impressive, make it a point to introduce yourself someday at one of the NFBC events. You'll find that the kind words you wrote about to start this thread more than ring true. Thanks for opening the door and allowing me the chance to add to your post.

I'm handling a Super League in Las Vegas on Sunday, April 1st with my good friend and partner Jim Christie. During the same timeframe, my son is going to sit first chair in our auction team. I asked Lindy to sit in and assist him. Without hesitation, the two time Champ told me it would be his "honor". Imagine that? No ego. Just an incredible passion and love for the game. My Son is going to have a blast.

Prior to the Main Event this year, I'll be really looking forward to Lindy Hinkelman taking his proper spot in the NFBC Hall of Fame. He deserves this honor. Greg and Tom have been smart enough to take advantage of Lindy's success and story to help bring new blood into the NFBC. They truly could not have a better person and player holding that torch!

Ken Magner

ps: Lindy, if you read this - I hope you'll remember this thread the morning of the Main Event when we are standing at the Emperor's Buffet in the Imperial Palace with Mr Mazur and friends. ;)

PGromek

Post by PGromek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

thanks for the posts guys. I'll have to listen to the podcast.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Great stuff and excellent read Dave and Ken. Look forward to listening to the podcast. Perhaps you could post the link here for all interested.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks Ken, always interests me to learn about the people here that I compete with, esp. guys like you & Lindy who've been around long enough to witness 1st hand the changes in this game. Sack & Beaver :mrgreen: sounds like a new sitcom on Fox or a movie starring Nina Hartley :twisted:

It's funny that you mention Gene McCaffrey, I googled him and found his website, but it says "WGB 2011 is shipping as we speak". I was left thinking that perhaps the Wiseguy did not write a new book this yr. If he did I am interested, I mean shoot, if John Crane won't attack him he must be good :lol:

By the way, Good Luck to you & little Joe in the MTM invitational. I know your son is in good hands w/ Lindy and the same is true for my bro :!:
Always be closing.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Baseball Furies wrote:Great stuff and excellent read Dave and Ken. Look forward to listening to the podcast. Perhaps you could post the link here for all interested.
Hey Mike, the podcast is from Baseball HQ's website. This is a test. I'm no Glenn X :oops:

hope it works.

http://bhqmp3.s3.amazonaws.com/hqradio012112.mp3

Lindy is not on til I believe about 40 mins into the thing. Very definitely, I think :twisted:
Always be closing.

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Aw damn Ken....I have to face Chip and Lindy? Unfair. :(

Hey Lindy, can Gabe sit shotgun with me? 8-)
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Hey I talked to Gene at the AFL and he was talking that he was working on the wise guys book for this season. Looking forward to seeing it real soon. I,m in a slow draft now with Gene, I'll ask how the book is coming.

I also spent some time with Linny at a few games in Arizona and every thing Ken said is true, just a down to earth good guy,that knows his baseball.

Just think of the egoboost we would hear if Mikey the mouth won the over all main event championship. We would hope he bought his own island and moved there :D :D

PGromek

Post by PGromek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:24 pm

great interview with Lindy. He's an outstanding rep for the NFBC.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:41 pm

rockitsauce wrote:Thanks Ken, always interests me to learn about the people here that I compete with, esp. guys like you & Lindy who've been around long enough to witness 1st hand the changes in this game. Sack & Beaver :mrgreen: sounds like a new sitcom on Fox or a movie starring Nina Hartley :twisted:

It's funny that you mention Gene McCaffrey, I googled him and found his website, but it says "WGB 2011 is shipping as we speak". I was left thinking that perhaps the Wiseguy did not write a new book this yr. If he did I am interested, I mean shoot, if John Crane won't attack him he must be good :lol:

By the way, Good Luck to you & little Joe in the MTM invitational. I know your son is in good hands w/ Lindy and the same is true for my bro :!:

Wiseguy Baseball is shipping sometime this week; Gene/WGB can be reached at 970-493-3793
Ken, you are a very good friend and Rockett hit the nail on the head, Lindy is the most humble person I have ever met. He is what is good about humanity.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sack

Post by Sack » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks Jim...........Lt Dan, that is correct my friend. Go easy on the Chip, he is helping me on Friday and he is going to pick up some sleepers by watching the tag team of Luny and Tim McCarthy. Lindy will keep him on a steady course! Cya in March Brutha.