First Weekend Main Event Draft Spots: Friday At 5 PM ET

Greg Ambrosius

First Weekend Main Event Draft Spots: Friday At 5 PM ET

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 am

Tom and I are on schedule to randomly pick the draft spots in the next day and announce the First Weekend Main Event Draft Spots tomorrow. Let's pick a time to do it and make you guys watch them flow in league-by-league. We'll make the Draft Spot Announcements at 5 p.m. ET Friday. Grab a Corona like we're going to do here in Iola and be ready for The Show!!! 8-)

Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?!! :lol:

The dirty work is being done now. Keep your fingers crossed and look for the announcements tomorrow!!! Now that's MARCH MADNESS!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: First Weekend Main Event Draft Spots: Friday At 5 PM ET

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:28 am

Good Morning Everyone!!!!! :D Do you feel lucky today?!! :lol:

Tom and I are up bright and early to pick the leagues and draft spots. Everything is on pace for us to announce the First Weekend Main Event draft spots at 5 pm ET. That's 4:00 CT. Sorry for the confusion on the times, but I got my East Coast and Midwest times screwed up. 5 pm ET it will be.

We'll have some NFBC XII draft spots announced in the morning. Here's the rest of the weekend schedule:

Super League draft spots will be announced Saturday morning, hopefully around 11 am ET

Ultimate League draft spots will be announced Sunday morning, hopefully around 11 am ET

Those owners in the Super League will have until 8 am ET on Saturday to alter their KDS preferences. Ultimate League owners will have until 8 am ET on Sunday to alter their KDS preferences. I think this is fair because some of you are also in NFBC XII and Main Event leagues that First Weekend and may want to change plans slightly in the Super and Ultimate based on the draft spots you received. We can still meet our deadlines with the above time-table, so go ahead here. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Re: First Weekend Main Event Draft Spots: Friday At 4 PM ET

Post by King of Queens » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:26 am

Please fix the title of this thread!!!!

T-minus 8 hours and 34 minutes...I think! :D

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?!! :lol:
:mrgreen:

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:00 am

Forget about fixing the thread. Just move up the announcements to 4pm est. One less hour of torture is appealing.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:47 am

Red Sox Nation- wrote:Forget about fixing the thread. Just move up the announcements to 4pm est. One less hour of torture is appealing.
Cocktail hour is always 5 pm, so I thought that would be the best time!! :lol:

Plus I love to torture you guys!! ;)

The one great thing about this job is that there's a secret you guys all want to know and only Tom and I know it!!! How cool is that? Maybe one day we'll have to webcast this process, but for now there's just two of us who know who has what spots for the First Weekend. Pretty cool secret to have, wouldn't you say? ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gates

Post by Gates » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 am

Greg
Any video linked to the event this year?
That was quite cool...

Gaëtan
Go ahead, make my day...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 am

Gates wrote:Greg
Any video linked to the event this year?
That was quite cool...

Gaëtan
Nope, sorry. It was cool and it was a great way of showing you folks how we randomly pick each name for each league and then slot them into their preferred spots. It really was a way to show you how well this works. Unfortunately, our studio for this is in Chicago at the STATS offices and we're working in Iola this week. We just couldn't quite pull it off to time it so that we could video all of these First Weekend draft spots. Sorry.

But the same process is working now, without the Bingo Machine that is. I think that thing has been retired!! :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 pm

KDS worked very well this year for all of our First Weekend live events, just like it's been working well for the Slow Drafts and the other early online drafts. It especially works for 15 teams because there are so many different opinions of where to draft from in the deeper leagues. I know that not everyone will get their favorite spot -- hey, some people still get their 14th or 15th preferred spot even with KDS -- but it's great to see so many get their top spot or at least Top 3 spot.

For the Main Event First Weekend, we had one league with 8 different teams getting their No. 1 preference. We had two leagues with 7 teams getting their top preference. We had two leagues with 6 teams getting their top preference, two leagues with 5 teams getting their top preference, one with 4 teams and two with 3 teams. That's pretty solid.

I would say that 70-75 percent of all owners set their KDS with something different than 1-15. It was great to see so many people really taking the time to set their KDS preferences and for the most part folks got draft spots they wanted. Not everyone, I realize that and I'm sorry about it. But here's the good news: YOU CAN WIN FROM ANY DRAFT SPOT!! :D

Good luck all and just 2 1/2 hours until Draft Announcement Time!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Okay, 30 Minutes to Draft Slot Announcements!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 pm

&@&#@&$@$&@@&$@& Here we go!!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Okay, let's get the show on the road. We'll do this nice and quickly and give everyone plenty of time to chew on their draft spots. I'll list all of the Main Events for each of the cities & Online within the NFBC General Discussion Forum and then we'll also list each league separately in the League Forum. That's where you can smack talk within your league, introduce yourselves to your league mates and have some fun. I will also put all 10 of the Main Event leagues in the one thread at the top of NFBC General Discussion. Good luck to everyone and THANKS VERY MUCH.

Let's start with the three Las Vegas Leagues. Here they come:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 am

So not a single comment on your First Weekend Draft Spots?? Man, I really have tamed these Message Boards. :lol: In past years, there would have been flaming remarks about my Bingo Machine or about the tough league people were in, or smack talking about how so-and-so is going to kick everyone's butt. What's going on here? Has the fight been taken out of this crew by the long off-season Slow Draft grind? ;)

I can only assume that EVERYONE liked their draft picks if nobody had any comments. Make the best of your presents and turn them all into winners. Good luck everyone.

And remember, as part of your signup you should have a premium pass to MockDraftCentral.com. So if you want to mock draft over there from your newly assigned spot, go at it. Feel free to organize some NFBC-style mocks this next week if you'd like and to promote those draft dates and times on our boards. I kind of miss all of that idle chatter from you folks. It's time to get back on the boards and commiserate with each other now that the best part of the season awaits us. Thanks all and enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Scared $ Dont Make $

Post by Scared $ Dont Make $ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 am

Yeah, Vegas League 1... Is Childs(slot 13) going to poach any of my sleeper picks on his wrap around picks as I wait in the 11 spot. :P

To his advantage, at least I haven't read any of his player insights on his new website endeavor... :idea: hmmm, I still have a week to start reading his stuff and maybe poach his sleepers before he gets his 2 in :D :lol: :lol:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:So not a single comment on your First Weekend Draft Spots??

I can only assume that EVERYONE liked their draft picks if nobody had any comments.
OK, since you asked. I'm not a fan of my spot at all. Can I trade? :)

It's ironic because last year I took some heat from my fellow drafters for what was "perceived" as always getting a favorable slot. However so far this year, despite setting my KDS at 1-15 for 3 of my 4 drafts thus far, my resulting draft slots were 14, 15, and now 14 again. :? :o :shock:

Though somewhat wondering what the hell :? and though I do have a preference for the early and then middle parts of the drafts (thus my consistent 1-15 KDS submissions), I guess I'm OK with it because I truly believe you can win from any spot this year. Plus since things often even out in life, I should be getting some premium spots in my other drafts moving forward. :D

As far as the smack talk, Gekko's been busy contemplating retirement to be Mr. Mom while grabbing additional entries (time consuming), Walla actually is retired, Lance has moved across the street, and Massotto is in lockdown mode in the realization that he's talked so much early smack this year that others are going to actually pay attention to his ummmm we'll call it record this year. :?

Those left behind are a bit more on the quiet side. Enjoy it Greg. I don't see it lasting long. :)

Post by 751542 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 am

Glenneration X wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:So not a single comment on your First Weekend Draft Spots??

I can only assume that EVERYONE liked their draft picks if nobody had any comments.

It's ironic because last year I took some heat from my fellow drafters for what was "perceived" as always getting a favorable slot. However so far this year, despite setting my KDS at 1-15 for 3 of my 4 drafts thus far, my resulting draft slots were 14, 15, and now 14 again. :? :o :shock:

Though somewhat wondering what the hell :? and though I do have a preference for the early and then middle parts of the drafts (thus my consistent 1-15 KDS submissions), I guess I'm OK with it because I truly believe you can win from any spot this year. Plus since things often even out in life, I should be getting some premium spots in my other drafts moving forward. :D

sounds like my luck last year... word to the wise, each event is independent of the last. thus, last year i was backended in ALL higher end drafts. another word to the wise. its hard to diversify in that position! ie thus a shitty year for me. good luck! if there is any consolation in the bigger events this year picks 4 and 4(i probably have now jinxed myself on the super draw at 11)...maybe its a yearly thing??

As far as the smack talk, Gekko's been busy contemplating retirement to be Mr. Mom while grabbing additional entries (time consuming), Walla actually is retired, Lance has moved across the street, and Massotto is in lockdown mode in the realization that he's talked so much early smack this year that others are going to actually pay attention to his ummmm we'll call it record this year. :?

Those left behind are a bit more on the quiet side. Enjoy it Greg. I don't see it lasting long. :)
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:43 am

no retirement here. not sure i can make it to NY, so i wanted to draft a team, and if necessary, my partner will draft the team in NY :)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:44 am

March 25th Super League spots coming at 11 am ET today

March 25th Ultimate League spots coming at 11 am ET Sunday
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:44 am

ps - i got my first KDS so i'm pretty pumped! :twisted:

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:54 am

Gekko wrote:no retirement here. not sure i can make it to NY, so i wanted to draft a team, and if necessary, my partner will draft the team in NY :)

Who will draft "ANONYMOUS" in the Mixed 1300 Auction in NYC? :ugeek:

mlbbug

Post by mlbbug » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:12 am

Greg, for what it's worth here's my take on the KDS and my league. I got my #3 choice based on KDS(draft slot 8). I was hoping for something just a little lower to take advantage of what I perceive to be value picks late round 1 and early round 2 but as Glenneration X stated,you can win from any spot based on who you pick not where you pick.I think Ken Magner drafted from the 12 slot last year in my league and he had a great year(4th overall in Main) as did Andre Bourcier who drafted from an even lower slot and he also had a great year. This year I will compete against 4 top 50 NFBC career earning leaders in Mahwah League I on 3/24; #13 Ken Magner,#15 Artie Rastelli,#18 Eddie Gillis and #50 John Lemke. Tough competition for sure but if you want to be the best you have to beat the best!! Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!! :mrgreen:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 am

Glenneration X wrote:

Glenn, I have to comment about this league. I personally ran the KDS for every single league because I wanted to see how KDS worked and how the leagues played out. Every league had owners battling for every spot. But there was one league that just got me extremely mad and it was this Mahwah league. Believe it or not, 12 of 15 owners in this league went straight 1-15. The three owners who set their KDS preferences got their first preferences (one of them was naturally No. 1), the lowest total of No. 1s for the first weekend. Everyone else went straight down the line and yes you were randomly picked 14th. Usually some folks move down to the bottom of the draft order and you at least move up a few spots, but not in this league. Straight butter for 12 owners!!! I've never seen a league like that one, either.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Scared $ Dont Make $

Post by Scared $ Dont Make $ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: Glenn, I have to comment about this league. I personally ran the KDS for every single league because I wanted to see how KDS worked and how the leagues played out. Every league had owners battling for every spot. But there was one league that just got me extremely mad and it was this Mahwah league. Believe it or not, 12 of 15 owners in this league went straight 1-15. The three owners who set their KDS preferences got their first preferences (one of them was naturally No. 1), the lowest total of No. 1s for the first weekend. Everyone else went straight down the line and yes you were randomly picked 14th. Usually some folks move down to the bottom of the draft order and you at least move up a few spots, but not in this league. Straight butter for 12 owners!!! I've never seen a league like that one, either.
Wish I was in that league! Sounds like alot of dead money when none of them have much of a strategy. To use a golfers analogy, sounds like a bunch of "poke and pray" types.

Of course that usually means a top 10 overall team will come out of that league. So good luck to the shark in that tank :)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Just a heads up that the KDS deadline for the Tuesday, March 27th NFBC XII is Monday at 9 am ET. We will announce the draft spots on Monday early afternoon and give you folks 7+ days to prepare for your draft spots. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Purple Helmets

Post by Purple Helmets » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:So not a single comment on your First Weekend Draft Spots?? Man, I really have tamed these Message Boards. :lol: In past years, there would have been flaming remarks about my Bingo Machine or about the tough league people were in, or smack talking about how so-and-so is going to kick everyone's butt. What's going on here? Has the fight been taken out of this crew by the long off-season Slow Draft grind? ;)

I can only assume that EVERYONE liked their draft picks if nobody had any comments. Make the best of your presents and turn them all into winners. Good luck everyone.

And remember, as part of your signup you should have a premium pass to MockDraftCentral.com. So if you want to mock draft over there from your newly assigned spot, go at it. Feel free to organize some NFBC-style mocks this next week if you'd like and to promote those draft dates and times on our boards. I kind of miss all of that idle chatter from you folks. It's time to get back on the boards and commiserate with each other now that the best part of the season awaits us. Thanks all and enjoy.
Las Vegas League #3 looks loaded to me. Without doing any research, at a minimum you have the second place finishers from the Main Event the last three years along with another top five finisher three years ago. I'm sure there are other very accomplished owners in this league as well. Let the games begin!!!