Strangest Draft Strategy

California Aces

Strangest Draft Strategy

Post by California Aces » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:35 am

What is the strangest draft strategy you have seen so far?

I was in a recent draft where one owner picked up 5 closers and 7 set up guys who could possibly become closers or who could get some saves. No starting pitchers were picked up.

BK METS

Re: Strangest Draft Strategy

Post by BK METS » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 am

California Aces wrote:What is the strangest draft strategy you have seen so far?

I was in a recent draft where one owner picked up 5 closers and 7 set up guys who could possibly become closers or who could get some saves. No starting pitchers were picked up.
Interesting.. might be able to do ok in a stand alone league, but never will compete in an overall championship.

Although I took a different approach and waiting on starting pitching until the 13th round, I haven't seen the NO starting pitching approach. I saw that Outlaw waited until the 18-19th round for a starting pitcher, while previously picking up 3 top catchers and 3 stud closers. Also saw another where someone drafted 8 starting pitchers in his first 8 picks.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 am

California Aces wrote:What is the strangest draft strategy you have seen so far?

If that guy did that in a FAAB less league, good luck gettin to 900 IP.
Always be closing.

California Aces

Post by California Aces » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

This is satellite league. I decided to look another team. This next team has 4 closers, 5 RP, and only one Starting pitcher.
This will be an interesting league to play in. Can't wait to see the free agent pick ups.

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Well - you have encountered an All-RP team - an animal that comes out to play mainly in the Sat leagues. The goal is to get 15's in Sv's, WHIP and ERA. Then try to load up on offense to get as close to 15's across the boards on offense. When it is done well/correctly - the owner has himself a 122 point team and a league championship. THere are more than a few NFBC vets that are quite good at implementing this strategy. It can be a drag if you are looking at your draft as a main event prep - because you won't see that strategy used there generally. But in SAT drafts - this isn't so rare. Usually they grab one SP - to help hit the innings limit.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein