oh no...fistme!

oh no...fistme!

Post by 751542 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:09 pm

i have on a few teams, leaves early with strained oblique, not good, also left before 5th with the lead, no win either, kick to the cahones! :twisted: , pred 15 day dl, out 2-4 weeks! got me early. i have a feeling kj will not be happy either!
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

KJ Duke

Re: oh no...fistme!

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 pm

FISTER = diamond, ultimate, main event. :shock: A critical piece for me and he was looking damn good.

Post by 751542 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm

DL' :twisted: D now how long?, spider sense says a month :o
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Read it and weep, but I'm no doctor, but hes larady on the 15 day DL.

Costochondritis
Definition
Costochondritis is an inflammation and associated tenderness of the cartilage (i.e., the costochondral joints) that attaches the front of the ribs to the breastbone.
Description
Costochondritis causes pain in the lower rib area or upper breastbone. Some patients fear they are having a heart attack. The most severe pain is usually between the breast and the upper abdomen. The pain may be greater when in sitting or reclining positions. Stress may aggravate this condition. Generally the third or fourth ribs are affected. However, any of the seven costochondral junctions may be affected, and more often than not more than one site is involved. The inflammation can involve cartilage areas on both sides of the sternum, but usually is on one side only. Costochondritis should be distinguished from Tietze Syndrome, which is an inflammation involving the same area of the chest, but also includes swelling.
Causes and symptoms
The causes of costochondritis are not well-understood and may be difficult to establish. The most likely causes include injury, repetitive minor trauma, and unusual excessive physical activity.
The primary symptom of costochondritis is severe chest wall pain, which may vary in intensity. The pain becomes worse with trunk movement, deep breathing, and/or exertion, and better with decreased movement, quiet breathing, or changing of position. It is usually localized but may radiate extensively from the chest area. The pain has been described as sharp, nagging, aching, or pressure-like.
Diagnosis
Diagnosis is based on pain upon palpation (gentle pressing) of the affected joints. Swelling is not associated with costochondritis. Diagnosis is also dependent on the exclusion of other causes, including heart attack or bacterial or fungal infections found in IV drug users or postoperative thoracic surgery patients.
Treatment
The goals of treatment are to reduce inflammation and to control pain. To accomplish these goals, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs) are used, with ibuprofen usually selected as the drug of choice. Other NSAIDS options are flurbiprofen, mefenamic acid, ketoprofen, and naproxen. Additional treatment recommendations include the use of local heat, biofeedback, and gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles two to three times a day.
For more difficult cases, where the patient continues to exhibit pain and discomfort, cortisone injections are used as therapy.

PrognosisThe prognosis for recovery from costochondritis is good. For most patients, the condition lessens in six months to a year. However, after one year, about one-half of patients continue with some discomfort, while about one-third still report tenderness with palpation.
Prevention

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Wow....and to think I was bitching about having Scott Baker on a few teams. :?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:54 pm

From what I see, it looks like 3-6 weeks of rest, then maybe another week or so to get back into the rotation.
So sometime between mid May and early June. :(

Money

Post by Money » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Wow....and to think I was bitching about having Scott Baker on a few teams. :?
I left 2 grand in Vegas on the Tigers over 93 and a half plus 110. This is a big blow, besides having him on two teams. Tigers starting pitching is weak at best now. Thank goodness the division is very weak. If they have a chance at the trade deadline, they will mortgage the farm. The owner is desperate to win.
Joe

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 am

Do I hear a phone call to Roy Oswalt from Detriot

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Doug Fister cut short his latest bullpen session after feeling renewed discomfort in his abdomen. :evil:

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 pm

That type of injury- he has to sit for 6 weeks before trying anything. me thinks he might be out a long time....

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Question: Is there anyone playing this game that isn't a f@%#ing pussy anymore...MLB baseball, I mean. Geez. How fragile are these guys? Glad I don't have any of these guys on any of my teams.

I take that back...I just checked. I have some of these guys on all of my friggin' teams! :evil:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Outlaw wrote:That type of injury- he has to sit for 6 weeks before trying anything. me thinks he might be out a long time....
Tigers manager Jim Leyland confirmed Friday that Doug Fister (costochondral strain) will not return before May.
Hardly shocking news after Fister cut a bullpen session short earlier this week due to renewed discomfort in his abdomen. It's not a major setback, but the Tigers will bring him along slowly until the pain subsides. Adam Wilk will keep a rotation spot for now.

Fister will be lucky to make it back by the all star break, if at all this year. Shame too, becuase he was posied for a good year.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Gekko wrote:Doug Fister cut short his latest bullpen session after feeling renewed discomfort in his abdomen. :evil:
There sure have been a lot of injuries this year. :evil:
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:27 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Gekko wrote:Doug Fister cut short his latest bullpen session after feeling renewed discomfort in his abdomen. :evil:
There sure have been a lot of injuries this year. :evil:
Mark, I'd appreciate it if you spent less time constantly bringing up injuries. Please man up.
By the way Coz, what's with Fister wearing his stirrups so tight?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 am

i don't even own fister!

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Glenneration X wrote:By the way Coz, what's with Fister wearing his stirrups so tight?
Did not even notice...too busy driving around various bus stops and going to the mall making fun of boys wearing skinny jeans.

I echo Kobe's sentiments, "Glad I'm not growing up in this generation."

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci