Live Scoring

Quahogs

Re: Live Scoring

Post by Quahogs » Sat May 12, 2012 11:42 am

ToddZ wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Not talking about daily games, you know what "high stakes" mean? There is nothing like what the NFBC offers, not sure why this is so hard to figrue out.
Are you aware of some of the payouts some of those contests are offering? They are most certainly of the high stakes variety.

My point is (sorry if this is so hard for you to figure out) that while there are many that can afford to play multiple contests here and elsewhere, there is a huge faction with just enough "disposable" income to enter one contest.

So if someone has not cashed enough to warrant continuing to play year after year, they may sate their fantasy appetite playing the daily games -- smaller entries, immediate reward - no concern about having a squad with five DL guys on reserve, etc.

There is a fixed amount of money that can be spent on contest of this nature, regardless of "the stakes". While there is obviously a new audience for these daily games, there is also most certainly a crossover audience.

THAT is much more of a long-term threat -- NFBC vets turning to the daily games.

Since one of the thrills of the daily games is the real-time aspect of it, one way to help defuse the migration is having that same nightly "thrill" here.

The irony is, on a personal level, I am a whole lot closer to Gekko on this, though I admit to peeking at the live scoring a few more times than him 8-)
SPOT ON Todd. For sure the one I'm involved with is quite the high stakes venture. If you want high stakes action it is quite simple to hang your H2H shingle out there and play for 2-3k a night. Sick of the injuries? bad draft wearing you down? Then go grab a team for the night. Want to sit back and root for Hamilton Cargo and Halladay for a night on your team? Bingo, have at it.

The Daily game rush is for real and is no doubt competing for your wallets with the 6 month roto draft gamers. I equate it to horse racing - 7:05 the bell goes off and BAM the live scoring kicks in and and the standings are moving on the fly. Teams are jockeying all night long and boy what a hoot to follow.

To me the two games complement each other but for some like Todd said (or I think he said) I can see people allocating their fixed baseball budget for the dailies. That wasn't apparent last year.

In a nutshell LIVE scoring is the meat and potatoes of the daily games and it works flawlessly. The Dailys and their live scoring could very well shift this landscape. STATS has to do whatever it takes to address this.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I play daily games at Fanduel as well. Been doing so for quite a while. They use STATS for live scoring and have consistent issues. Go there sometime and view the chat room. It's BLOWS up when this occurs. The other night when live scoring went out for about two hours, it was also out at Fanduel. Frustrating for sure. I bring this up only because daily games may be great and a threat but it also has it's issues. They have live scoring issues regularly. I'm not pleased when that happens with money on the line in a one night format... and having to do the math myself.

Zman

Post by Zman » Sun May 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Actually it's all very scary when you think of how much we depend on computers and the programers keeping track of standings and category totals. I wonder just how off they are and we can't even notice.

Even scarier is the fact that this is simple math in a sports hobby. God bless the programers at the nuke plants.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 14, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks for all the feedback on Live Scoring. This is definitely Priority One. Hell, the last thing we want is for the live drafts and online drafts and Slow Drafts and everything else we've worked so hard on to get overshadowed by one area of the game site that isn't up to par. We not only want every aspect of our game site to be up to par but to be the very best in the industry. There isn't anyone on our STATS team that wants to be part of anything less than the best.

We'll do all we can to improve the speed of Live Scoring and obviously we have to get the doubleheaders issue corrected. We should be able to accumulate the stats from both games and keep them there for you or at the very least show the results of Game 1. The four issues Alan listed are the areas we'll look to improve right now, while still working on the Live Overall Standings and the other enhancements.

We know that Live Scoring is also extremely vital in football and everything we're doing here with the enhancements will be carried over to football. We will have Live Scoring for the Draft Champions Leagues this year and for the overall standings, two things we didn't have last year. We know how much all of this leads to the enjoyment of you folks competing in our events. And we know other sites have all of this as well, so in a competitive environment we have to be better than everyone else.

Nobody likes to hear criticisms, but you folks are just pointing out what we need to do to be the best in Live Scoring. You WANT us to be the best and I appreciate it. None of us want a single night of the baseball season to be frustrating, whether it's through FAAB bidding or Live Scoring or Setting Your Lineup, or anything else. So we focus on this and get it better.

We have access to other sites, we have our IT team looking at everything and as soon as there's anything to report we will. I'm not trying to be vague or promise things we shouldn't be able to deliver or condescending as someone said. I'm taking your input, working with the IT team and doing all we can to make Live Scoring better. But enough talking and time to get it done. I hope to post updates more regularly. Again, thanks for the input.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 14, 2012 8:01 am

Steel Lugnuts wrote:I'm starting to think that the NFBC has become so big, it's almost as though they are not able to keep up with growth and expectations. We're not talking about a bunch of single 10-team leagues like cbs sportsline, this is obviuosly way more complicated when you consider the grand scheme of things.

That being said, there is alot of money being paid into the NFBC, they need to figure it out and keep the masses updated as to the progress and make this work...which I'm pretty sure they will.
I don't want to reply to every post on this thread, but the insinuation that we've become too big to get Live Scoring better isn't accurate. The programming for any aspect of our contest is the same whether we're running one league or 1,000 leagues. We'll analyze why there is a lag in the display of live scoring stats and get it right for all of our leagues and hope this leads to even more growth in the future.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Mon May 14, 2012 9:32 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Thanks for all the feedback on Live Scoring. This is definitely Priority One. Hell, the last thing we want is for the live drafts and online drafts and Slow Drafts and everything else we've worked so hard on to get overshadowed by one area of the game site that isn't up to par. We not only want every aspect of our game site to be up to par but to be the very best in the industry. There isn't anyone on our STATS team that wants to be part of anything less than the best.

We'll do all we can to improve the speed of Live Scoring and obviously we have to get the doubleheaders issue corrected. We should be able to accumulate the stats from both games and keep them there for you or at the very least show the results of Game 1. The four issues Alan listed are the areas we'll look to improve right now, while still working on the Live Overall Standings and the other enhancements.

We know that Live Scoring is also extremely vital in football and everything we're doing here with the enhancements will be carried over to football. We will have Live Scoring for the Draft Champions Leagues this year and for the overall standings, two things we didn't have last year. We know how much all of this leads to the enjoyment of you folks competing in our events. And we know other sites have all of this as well, so in a competitive environment we have to be better than everyone else.

Nobody likes to hear criticisms, but you folks are just pointing out what we need to do to be the best in Live Scoring. You WANT us to be the best and I appreciate it. None of us want a single night of the baseball season to be frustrating, whether it's through FAAB bidding or Live Scoring or Setting Your Lineup, or anything else. So we focus on this and get it better.

We have access to other sites, we have our IT team looking at everything and as soon as there's anything to report we will. I'm not trying to be vague or promise things we shouldn't be able to deliver or condescending as someone said. I'm taking your input, working with the IT team and doing all we can to make Live Scoring better. But enough talking and time to get it done. I hope to post updates more regularly. Again, thanks for the input.
Thanks Greg, this is exactly the approach I had hoped and new you'd take. Upfront communication and honesty is a cornerstone of the business you've built. Communication like this goes a long ways. Thanks again.
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 pm

We are putting everything else we were working on aside until we get this corrected. This not only is Priority One right now, it's the only thing we're working on.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks Greg! As with many other things you have and stats have accomplished, you will get it right. Programming is not easy and for those that don't understand data bases and programming, no doubt this is a very complicated issue and especially when the "live" aspect of it is considered. Data out is only as good as the data in and considering all the individual game feeds and collection methods, it can be quite slow getting it perfected.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 16, 2012 3:57 pm

BK METS wrote:OK, so not to beat a dead horse, let me list the problems I have seen with live scoring, in a list (which is my favorite thing to do, as everyone knows) and anyone add to the list if they see something missing.

1) Live scoring for teams involved in doubleheaders does not work AT ALL, neither game, it doesnt keep track of the 1st game and then erase it for the 2nd game like ESPN. It shows nothing. It doesn't show you any stats at all for any of the hitters or pitchers in either game. I am not sure I can be any clearer - ZERO STATS FOR DOUBLEHEADERS

2) Slow draft stats are very erratic. Sometimes, stats don't show up at all, sometimes, only hitters show up, sometimes only pitchers show up. Most of the time, the stats are extremely slow

3) Stats do not show up for up to a minute, once the team is loaded, up to two minutes for pitchers. I can literally walk away from the computer, after loading my team, go to the bathroom, and come back, and the team is still not completely showing.

4) Unlike last year, there is no way to simply click on an opposing team to see what their stats are for the day... the only way this can be done is to scroll all the way to the bottom and scroll to the team, then wait the additional 1-2 minutes for their stats to appear below our teams stats.. by that time, I have lost interest

Anyone have anything to add?
We do want to update the Live Scoring thread to let you know we are working on every issue here. There are definitely some areas of Live Scoring that can be corrected quickly and some areas that will have to be enhanced at a later date. I'll look at Alan's four points above and give you all the latest update:

1. Live Scoring for doubleheaders is set up to show the first game's stats, keep those stats visible for each player and then show another line for the Game 2 stats. Those stats are not being added together in Live Scoring, but the first game's stats should be visible and included in your team totals at the bottom. As for the stats not showing at all on Thursday, we continue to look into that and will eliminate that problem. We have replicated Thursday's doubleheader on several different browsers and didn't see those same problems everywhere, but we're working on it now and certainly hope to have no issues when the next doubleheader arrives.

2. We corrected this issue with the number of hitters appearing and Slow Draft Live Scoring shouldn't be running any slower than other rosters.

3. We are working on the speed of Live Scoring now and it will take some time but we hope to have this much faster in the coming weeks. I can say that Live Scoring this year is faster than it was last year because we did make an upgrade here, but it's currently set up to have hitter stats appear within 15 seconds and pitcher stats to appear 15 seconds later. That's not quite the 1 minute and 2 minutes that some have reported, but 15-30 seconds may feel that long. Still, we're working to make Live Scoring appear as fast as possible and we are doing all we can to get that done. It's not an easy process, but all resources are on this area. Everything else has been put on hold until this is done.

4. This setup is exactly the same as it was last year. Could it be improved to a hyperlink on each team so that you can more easily see the Live Scoring of any team in your league? Yes, definitely. This will be something we can work on after we have everything else done that we're currently working on. It's an enhancement for the future and it will be well received, but first we have to work on some other items like a toggle link for Set Lineup, Live Overall Standings and a few other items. To see Live Scoring of any team in your league now, just scroll down to the bottom of your page and using the pull-down menu choose any team. Again, it will take 15-30 seconds to load that team, but that is how it is set up now and how it was set up last year.

Again, thanks for identifying areas of concern within Live Scoring. We're working on them and hope to have a much improved Live Scoring setup soon. This is as important to us as it is to you.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed May 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for the update, Greg.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Post by 751542 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 pm

ty
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"