Cardinals - 20 Games after Pujols

Winston's Empire

Cardinals - 20 Games after Pujols

Post by Winston's Empire » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Well it might still be a small sample size, but the Cardinals appear to be OK without King Albert and they still have their $275 Million bucks to build their team long into the future.
After 20 Games the Cardinals are sitting 13-7 and the Pre Season AL WEST Favorite Angels are 6-14. I don't think Pujols or the Angels will be this bad all year, but I think that their stinking up the West Coast so bad and the Cards hot start surely makes the Pujols departure easier to swallow in St. Louis.
The truth is Albert is 32 years old and his contract is going to look very bad in 5 - 7 years.... Or next week if he doesn't get it going! :P
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Rainiers

Re: Cardinals - 20 Games after Pujols

Post by Rainiers » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:09 am

I agree Max, in the end Pujols' contract will feel worse than Abreu's, worse than Wells'.....when will the Angels learn? While Pujols should be fine through the first 500 games of his 1620 game contract, the last 500 games will likely be painful to behold if you are Artie or an Angel fan.
- Robert

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:56 am

The Cardinal organization has been doing this for years. Added Berkman last year, win a WS. Let Pujols go, sign Beltran for two years. They believe the organization is bigger than one player. They have to be the smartest, or one of the smartest, small-market organizations in all professional sports.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

mlbbug

Post by mlbbug » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:12 pm

The Cardinals organization probably took a look at Pujols dropping more than 200 points off his OPS over the last 4 years,combined that with approaching age 32 season and the dollars and length of contract needed to keep him and wisely let him go to the Angels. King Albert went over 100 AB's in a stretch last year( I believe 105) without a HR :o :o . When you add that to his OPS decline and his rapidly rising GB%( haven't seen too many ground ball HR's in MLB) the Redbirds could wind up on the better end of the deal in the long run. :!:

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 pm

mlbbug wrote:The Cardinals organization probably took a look at Pujols dropping more than 200 points off his OPS over the last 4 years,combined that with approaching age 32 season and the dollars and length of contract needed to keep him and wisely let him go to the Angels. King Albert went over 100 AB's in a stretch last year( I believe 105) without a HR :o :o . When you add that to his OPS decline and his rapidly rising GB%( haven't seen too many ground ball HR's in MLB) the Redbirds could wind up on the better end of the deal in the long run. :!:
God, I wish I would have read this dose of reality instead of Verducci's suckfest SI cover story on Pujols prior to the Main Event. Drafted Pujols 3rd overall and thought it was a "no brainer," absolute steal. What a sucker I am. James "wet noodle bat" Loney has more HR's than Pujols. And to think I passed on Kemp (no way would he match his career year) to draft Pujols. God, I'm going to be sick every time I think of this. I hate, hate this game of fantady baseball. Total mind F¥€%!!!

Lets go Albert! Step it up!
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:03 pm

COZ wrote:
mlbbug wrote:The Cardinals organization probably took a look at Pujols dropping more than 200 points off his OPS over the last 4 years,combined that with approaching age 32 season and the dollars and length of contract needed to keep him and wisely let him go to the Angels. King Albert went over 100 AB's in a stretch last year( I believe 105) without a HR :o :o . When you add that to his OPS decline and his rapidly rising GB%( haven't seen too many ground ball HR's in MLB) the Redbirds could wind up on the better end of the deal in the long run. :!:
God, I wish I would have read this dose of reality instead of Verducci's suckfest SI cover story on Pujols prior to the Main Event. Drafted Pujols 3rd overall and thought it was a "no brainer," absolute steal. What a sucker I am. James "wet noodle bat" Loney has more HR's than Pujols. And to think I passed on Kemp (no way would he match his career year) to draft Pujols. God, I'm going to be sick every time I think of this. I hate, hate this game of fantady baseball. Total mind F¥€%!!!

Lets go Albert! Step it up!
Ditto...I had Kemp in one league and Pujols in another, so at the 3rd pick, I took King JuiceBag and regretting it ever since. I might be able to trade him for Kershaw in my H2H league (team has tons of pitching but hurting at 1B), but he has to start hitting soon or he won't be worth Randy Wells!! It would suck to be an Angel fan, they got hosed.