WORST CALL I'VE EVER SEEN

rockitsauce

WORST CALL I'VE EVER SEEN

Post by rockitsauce » Wed May 02, 2012 2:59 pm

watching Dodgers-Rockies and 1st base ump Tim Welke just called Jerry Hairston out w/ Todd Helton's foot about 2 ft away from the bag. You'll def see this on SC & MLB network. This was not even close. Talk about needing glasses, holy schnikes :shock:

oh, and Kershaw appeared to hurt his oblique on a throw to 1B the next half inn. :shock: :o
Always be closing.

Hells Satans

Re: WORST CALL I'VE EVER SEEN

Post by Hells Satans » Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 pm

could have gone either way

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed May 02, 2012 3:18 pm

lmao!! holy toledo, that is awful

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Ridiculously bad.

More fodder for the instant replay fans.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Post by 751542 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:37 pm

seriously?? this ump is a professional?? i know we all make mistakes but REALLY?? horrible. he should be on the unemployment line. lets not forget where the ump stands at first...if nothing else he was out of position, i know i know...union will never get rid of him...horrible. its like me making a burrito when a pizza was ordered :o
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Wed May 02, 2012 3:46 pm

way way worse than that rt. you would just make the pizza and not charge for burrito- and i like both anyway. here- la is f...d and nothing is done.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 pm

RoundTrippers wrote:seriously?? this ump is a professional?? i know we all make mistakes but REALLY?? horrible. he should be on the unemployment line. lets not forget where the ump stands at first...if nothing else he was out of position, i know i know...union will never get rid of him...horrible. its like me making a burrito when a pizza was ordered :o
Wow.

Do you fire every employee that makes a mistake on an order? Or is yours the only restaurant in America that has never made a mistake :roll:
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Hells Satans wrote:Image

could have gone either way
I’ve never really been a proponent of instant replay, and I don’t know what the game situation was when this call happened, but a bad call like that does have me wanting to change my mind.

I think I could live with a challenge system like the NFL. Each manager gets one replay challenge per game..
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Post by 751542 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm

lets just say with your philosophy i wouldnt want to eat in your restaurant. i have standards! that call does not pass my standards and you ok with it right?? i have had 18 straight months of increased revenue, i must be doing something right! maybe its my standards! :D

PGromek

Post by PGromek » Wed May 02, 2012 4:06 pm

"In baseball, a neighborhood play is a force play where a fielder receiving the ball in attempting to force out a runner at second base, catches and quickly throws the ball to first base in a double play attempt without actually touching second base, or by touching second base well before catching the ball. By every rules code, such a play is not an out, because to record a force out, the fielder with the ball must actually touch a force base before the forced runner arrives (pro Rule 7.08(e)). In professional baseball, the umpires frequently call the play as an out, disregarding the strict application of the rule in favor of traditional practice."

1st basemen are finally getting the same respect from umps

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm

RoundTrippers wrote:lets just say with your philosophy i wouldnt want to eat in your restaurant. i have standards! that call does not pass my standards and you ok with it right?? i have had 18 straight months of increased revenue, i must be doing something right! maybe its my standards! :D

My philosophy??? You mean the one were I wouldn't fire a 27 year employee on the spot because he made a mistake.

I wasn't questioning your restaurant standards........ And I'm happy that you are making money.

I just thought it was a little over the top to suggest a guy should be fired for making a mistake.
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm

PGromek wrote:"In baseball, a neighborhood play is a force play where a fielder receiving the ball in attempting to force out a runner at second base, catches and quickly throws the ball to first base in a double play attempt without actually touching second base, or by touching second base well before catching the ball. By every rules code, such a play is not an out, because to record a force out, the fielder with the ball must actually touch a force base before the forced runner arrives (pro Rule 7.08(e)). In professional baseball, the umpires frequently call the play as an out, disregarding the strict application of the rule in favor of traditional practice."

The ump was perfectly positioned not to see Helton's leg was off the bag. His second mistake was assuming Todd Helton is 11 feet tall. Still, this could happen everyday in baseball and I wouldn't want instant replay - just better umpires.

If I order Mr. P's, the delivery guy better not bring me Taco Bell! Yeah, I'd can the slacker too. :twisted:

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Wed May 02, 2012 4:53 pm

History is FULL of guys who got canned after making a mistake - usually they make them on national TV as well, and usually with their mouths.

For the record the ump in question was Tim Welke. Yeah - the guy who blew (well that is my opinion of it) the "foul tip" call on Carlos Pena with the bases loaded in last year's playoffs.

Oh yeah - he was also the guy who obscured a Braves OF from making a catch in the WS against the Yanks.

And this guy is a crew chief!

He has plenty more "mistakes" on the resume.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Money Men

Post by Money Men » Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Looks like the ball beat him to me.

Post by 751542 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:47 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
PGromek wrote:"In baseball, a neighborhood play is a force play where a fielder receiving the ball in attempting to force out a runner at second base, catches and quickly throws the ball to first base in a double play attempt without actually touching second base, or by touching second base well before catching the ball. By every rules code, such a play is not an out, because to record a force out, the fielder with the ball must actually touch a force base before the forced runner arrives (pro Rule 7.08(e)). In professional baseball, the umpires frequently call the play as an out, disregarding the strict application of the rule in favor of traditional practice."

The ump was perfectly positioned not to see Helton's leg was off the bag. His second mistake was assuming Todd Helton is 11 feet tall. Still, this could happen everyday in baseball and I wouldn't want instant replay - just better umpires.

If I order Mr. P's, the delivery guy better not bring me Taco Bell! Yeah, I'd can the slacker too. :twisted:
lol kj, too funny! :lol: your right i would can his ass!

Zman

Post by Zman » Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 am

He's just trying to make Jim Joyce feel better about the worst call in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyXvnFhD2_E

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu May 03, 2012 9:31 am

But where are the other umps? The home plate ump couldn't see this and sort of call a quick conference and say "Hey Tim, you're not gonna wanna see this one on sports center tonight." ?? :shock:

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat May 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Atlas wrote:But where are the other umps? The home plate ump couldn't see this and sort of call a quick conference and say "Hey Tim, you're not gonna wanna see this one on sports center tonight." ?? :shock:
This brutal blown call and this comment has provided me the perfect opportunity to unleash some thoughts about MLB umpiring that has been stirring in me for quite some time.

As a former HS & College Umpire and a 1993 Graduate of Harry Wendelstadt's Umpring School (yes, I had a dream to get into the minor leagues as an umpire), I have some background and credibility to render an opinion on this subject. Also, as an obsessive baseball fan, I watch a ton of games (4 TV set-up, DirecTV Game Mix on main TV, MLB tonight on the other with 2 channels free for flipping) I see first hand a lot of bad calls day in, day out. And the frustration of watching routine calls get blown daily has caused me to call out MLB Umpires as a whole.

Anyone that has ever umpired the two man system (used in low level minors & taught at the pro schools) knows one of the first drills taught is the play at first base. Field Umpire should try to position himself at a 90 degree angle to the throw (thus, different spots for throw from 3rd base v. 2nd base, etc. due to angle of throw). And the home plate umpire is required to bust his ass down the first base line to the 45 foot line and position himself to watch for swipe tags and the first baseman pulling his foot off the bag. And we practice the drill over and over, with swipe tags and the 1st baseman pulling his foot off the bag. And the specific mechanics taught are that on any swipe tag/pulled foot, is the field umpire points to the home plate umpire and shouts "Did he get the tag OR Did he have the bag?" and the Home Plate Umpire now positioned straddling the 1st base line at the 45-foot line (i.e. where the runners' box begins) watching for a possible tag or pulled foot, would then shout back...." YES HE DID!" or "NO, HE DID NOT!" and then the Field Umpire with this information from the Home plate Umpire would then render the call. It is a quick mechanic and when executed properly looks AWESOME and impressive that both umpires are so in tune, in position, & synchronized. THIS IS BASIC UMPIRING 101. One of the first things taught at the Pro Schools. But.....

And I will never forget this, after spending an entire day doing this drill, Charlie Reliford, (a since retired NL Umpire & now an MLB Umpire Supervisor) pointed at all of the on-field instructors, guys like Randy Marsh, Dana DeMuth, big Jerry Layne, Ed Hickox, etc. and asked all of them how many times in their life they ever asked for help on a call at first base, and all of them, to a man, said "NEVER, It's MY call. I don't need help." So after an entire day of being drilled in the proper mechanics of addressing the swipe/pulled foot call, the clear message given was not to ever ask for help. It is this macho, territorial (as Billy Ripken aptly called it on the MLB Network) mentality which is what causes, in my opinion, the worst officiating in all of the Major sports leagues. This call by Tim Welke, epitomized, to me, everything that is wrong with MLB Umpiring as a whole.

Brian Runge, Brian Gorman, Hunter Wendlestadt, Greg Gibson, Jerry Crawford (now retired)....What do all of these umpires have in common? They are all product of a huge patronage system where sons/relatives of MLB Umpires lo & behold are bequeathed lifetime union jobs in a profession where it is supposed to be based upon merit. This point was made very clear to me in 1993 when hundreds of guys were competing to fulfill their dreams of getting a shot to Umpire in the big leagues. But on the day when we were informed of the class rankings (and thus who would be selected into the Umpire Development Program and thus the Minor Leagues), the number 1 ranking went to Brian Runge, whose Dad, Paul Runge (himself the son of an MLB Umpire) came down to speak at the Banquet. To all of us who had just spent 6 weeks thinking we were competing based upon merit, it was clear it was based upon who you know, not how well you umpired. That was the talk amongst all of us at the school. Brian Runge ranked #1? The guy who was consistently late/hungover/red eyes to drills? Yup, the guy who called Phillip Humber's perfect game. To this day, one guy from our class has made it to the Major Leagues, Brian Runge, though the fix was in from Day 1. And people wonder why MLB Umpiring sucks, I offer the two examples above as to two reasons why! So Tim Welke's call was not just a "mistake," to me, it is but an obvious end result of a flawed patronage system.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat May 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Great Story Coz- thanks for the share!

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat May 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks. Correction - 1995 was the year I went to Umpiring School, not 1993 (graduated college in '93).
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Post by 751542 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 pm

great insight, thanks for taking the time!

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I had something posted about the two man system, but I pulled it back understanding where Coz is coming from. In this situation where a runner was headed to second... in the two-man system, the home plate umpire would go to third base to cover any potential play there. He wouldn't be down the line at first base as Coz suggested. The home plate umpire would also be in charge of any defensive/ runner interference. With NO runners on base in the two-man system, the home plate umpire would be down the line.

However, with four umpires on the field, it would work like the two-man with no runners on where the home plate umpire would be able to intervene on this call as the base umpires would oversee any bang-bang/ interference calls at their respective bags. Should the throw be overthrown, the base umpires would rotate on the fly as the home plate umpire has the call on balls out of play.

Good stuff Coz.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:57 am

COZ wrote:[ To all of us who had just spent 6 weeks thinking we were competing based upon merit, it was clear it was based upon who you know, not how well you umpired. That was the talk amongst all of us at the school. Brian Runge ranked #1? The guy who was consistently late/hungover/red eyes to drills? Yup, the guy who called Phillip Humber's perfect game. To this day, one guy from our class has made it to the Major Leagues, Brian Runge, though the fix was in from Day 1. And people wonder why MLB Umpiring sucks, I offer the two examples above as to two reasons why! So Tim Welke's call was not just a "mistake," to me, it is but an obvious end result of a flawed patronage system.

COZ
Now, at age 38, Brian Runge has been run out of the game of baseball for failing multiple drug tests. The drug(s) of choice were not revealed, but I would suspect drugs of the recreational variety. Looks like he couldn't stop partying. A lot of sadness everywhere over this, I'm sure.

Drug use calls into question the integrity of the game in multiple ways. Is the ump physically and mentally able to make good calls? Are they on the make to support their drug habit?... I makes me wonder if Runge was pocketing any cash from the balls etc. he might have saved from the no hitters and perfect games he called.

If there is a silver lining, perhaps this will help clean out the patronage, and support advancement by merit.

Very good write -up Coz, this kind of insight into the game can not be found anywhere else. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
- Robert

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 am

Wow. Thanks for re-visiting this Rainiers. I just re-read what I had written last year, and it was almost chilling to me. I had forgotten that I had brought up my thoughts on Brain Runge. And let me say that I am actually very sad to hear the news about him, as he was always a very nice & friendly guy. And he was a good umpire at the school, seemed to have worked in the Pac-10 prior to going to the school if my memory serves. But it was just common knowledge at Umpiring School, at least amongst the students, that he smoked pot and it was physically obvious some days.

It's funny because I remember his dad, Paul Runge as an NL Umpire while growing up, and then having Brian Runge the one member of our class make it to the Majors, I have always kind of followed Brian's career a bit more than any of the other umpires. And like his old man, he was regarded as a pitcher's umpire, and even adopted his Dad's "Strike 3" mechanic when ringing guys up. And just in the past month, prior to yesterday's news, I had "googled" him to see where he had been because I had not seem him in quite some time. All the reports indicated he he had been out since mid-season last year and had had been on leave for a "knee injury." Well the truth came out yesterday, and I'm guessing he had been on leave for drug usage, gone to rehab and had been tested regularly while on leave and must have relapsed (though that is complete speculation on my part). What a disappointment to a 3-generation umpiring family. And despite my feelings on the longest-standing patronage system that is MLB Umpiring, it is still a very sad day to me to hear the news that he could not beat whatever drug addiction he was facing. And while this is but a news-footnote to most and a small blurb in the papers, to me, it is vindication of the feelings I have felt since 1995 when I saw Brian Runge selected as the #1 Umpire of our class, despite all the obvious red flags.

COZ
COZ

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm

I am glad Runge is gone. I love when horrible umpires FINALLY get waxed. Shame that it took 14 years to can the jerk.

I damned near pissed myself with happiness when MLB refused to rehire Eric Gregg after he stupidly resigned in a labor dispute.

The worst problem baseball has? Steroids? No way. Just as benign as a bowl of breath mints when compared to the blind boys in blue behind the plate. Baseball has hamstrung itself with crappy umpires and can't find the cojones to deal with them. It seems that barely a night goes by where they don't negatively and improperly impact the game. And I am not talking about some honest guy being improperly excoriated like Bill "Two Call" Johnson (William Bendix in "Kill the Umpire" from 1950).

C.B. Bucknor. Joe West. Bob Davidson. And Angel Hernadez. Watching him crap on a game right now. Already tossed two. The best part of this guy got left on the sheets.

When these guys are in the crew, especially behind the plate, may as well not even watch. I am moving to "Big Bang Theory" reruns that I have seen a dozen times.

Runge gone. A dozen or more to go.

And to anyone who thinks "well, most of them do a pretty good job." Maybe, but the best job they do is cover for each others sorry asses. Reagan canned the air traffic controllers and the planes kept flying. Why can we do the same with MLB umpires?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer