Greg Holland

mattjb

Greg Holland

Post by mattjb » Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 am

Why is he not being credited with the one out save for yesterday?

Daveclum

Re: Greg Holland

Post by Daveclum » Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 am

Just looking at the box score.But,if you do not pitch a complete inning the tie run has to be on deck.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed May 16, 2012 7:16 am

Daveclum wrote:Just looking at the box score.But,if you do not pitch a complete inning the tie run has to be on deck.

He needed a full inning.
From what I gleen from the box score, Holland came in with a 3 run lead and recorded the last out.
By definition:
1.He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
2.He is not the winning pitcher;
3.He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
4.He satisfies one of the following conditions:

1.He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
2.He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
3.He pitches for at least three innings

So he satisfied # 3 of the basic requirements, but fell short on the second set.

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Thank you, Atlas. Nicely explained. I still get confused by the requirements for a Save situation. Guess thats what happens when you have an essentially made up statistic, by a sportswriter no less. There is nothing natural or intuitive about the Save. The significance given to the "Save" & its silly definition is bastardizing the sport and making managers and relievers prisoners to its meaningless concept. Thanks to Jerome Holtzman & Tony LaRussa for making the meaningless somehow relevant.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed May 16, 2012 4:05 pm

P.S. Remember when Relievers were called "firemen," because they put out fires of other team's rallies? And the Rolaids Reliever of the Year (R-O-L-A-I-D-S spells relief)(brilliant marketing tie-in) was given a golden-plated firefighter's helmet? I even remember the old league-leaders baseball cards would recognize the Firemen of the Year (never knew what it meant at the time). Now they're called closers, and they come in with a "clean inning," yet they're still awarded a firefighter's helmet?Blasphemous, Rolaids. Blasphemous.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

well i learnt something new. thanks.