Mike Trout

COZ

Mike Trout

Post by COZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 pm

The more I watch this kid play, the more I think we may be watching a truly great, once-in-a-life time player. I always enjoy watching players progress from the time they are drafted to their rise through the minor leagues, through the inevitable Baseball America cover and hype, and eventually to their promotion to the Show. And as one of the few people who watch the MLB Draft, I still remember Mike Trout on the set at the MLB studio for the draft two yeas ago. At the time of the draft, I had no idea who Mike Trout was, other than that he was from NJ and was the only player to show up in person for the draft.

But what strikes me today as I watch him, is how he makes the game look so easy. I think that's what is truly amazing, the ease with which he makes everything look. When he runs, he doesn't look like he is running hard, just smooth & effortless,(as opposed to Bryce Harper who always appears to be running hard) yet he is absolutely flying. And his swing, it is just a real smooth, short, compact swing. And again, as opposed to Bryce Harper, it looks effortless and like he barely makes contact....and then the ball is hit all the way to the gap and he is standing on 3rd base.

Whenever I see a young player, I always love to try to find a comparable player to compare him to. To me, I see the next coming of one of my favorite players of all-time....to me, in Mike Trout, I see the next Rickey Henderson....the speed, power, compact stroke...

I'm curious, who in history do you think Mike Trout compares to?

COZ

P.S. In my mid-20's, (15 years ago), my brother and friends used to do baseball trips to different stadiums. At Jack Murphy Stadium we stood in line at the concession stand waiting to place our order. And there in full uniform, in the middle of the game, we see a Padre pop out from behind the back and ask the concession women for some Cheese Whiz. Yup, Rickey Henderson in full unform asking for a cup of cheese whiz will forever be etched in my memory. That's my Rickey Henderson story. Swear to God.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Raskol

Re: Mike Trout

Post by Raskol » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:02 am

I couldn't agree more! Trout seems to float whereas Harper seems to be trying not to sink. Different styles can make all the difference? ;)
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Mike Trout

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:29 am

We see a player from our past for years. Watch him blossom and become one of the best players in baseball.
Then, the kids come up and are compared to the player that has succeeded for years. It's not fair to the kid, but, what the Hell, whatever we say won't hurt him :)
I liken Trout to Mickey Mantle.
Mantle was a switch hitter and had a more vicious approach at the plate. But, the way that both Mantle and Trout play the game is the comparable here. Both have/had the athleticism to make the game seem easy. Both seem to glide when running from home to first and from first to third.
Where the game seems so hard for mere mortals, it comes easier for guys like Mantle and Trout.
They look like they're cruising. Not like Alfonso Soriano turning a possible triple into a trotting around first base double.
No, they're more like Justin Verlander cruising, mowing down hitters and still finding an extra two or three miles per hour in the ninth inning.
It's a pleasure watching.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!