Slow Draft Idea

Surrender Dorothy

Slow Draft Idea

Post by Surrender Dorothy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 pm

One of the beauties of the slow draft is that it obviates the need to spend your entire Sunday evening trolling for pick ups. One of the main drawbacks is having double digit DL players, players who retire, etc.

A possible idea for next year would be to add one or maybe two FAAB periods during the season. I like the idea of a FAAB period every two months (June 1st and August 1st). The dates would be published well ahead of time, so each owner would have 2 months to figure out what they want to do.

I would *love* this feature this year, as at least three of my Slow Draft teams have 10+ DL players each.

Thoughts?

California Aces

Re: Slow Draft Idea

Post by California Aces » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Interesting but it would change the dynamics of the game.

We could design our own type of slow draft since, we already have the 50 round Fast, Slow draft. How about a Slow draft with half the picks fast and half slow with a couple of free agent pickups during the year?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:56 pm

I already posted this once or twice, but the All-Star break cries out for a supplemental draft for slow teams....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:57 pm

I am more than willing to trade the time FAAB takes on Sunday's for the risk I assume at having 14 players on the DL on a Slow Draft team. In Dough's Premier SD League, my high is 12 for the year.

Although I see where you're coming from in regards to the frustration angle of DL'd players in Slow's, you do realize that any major change like that would remove that league from the Slow Draft overall championship don't you? That big carrott in the sky that I'll never bite out of is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather just be frustrated by looking at all my red DL boxes.

It gets to the point of being kinda funny because if I didn't laugh about it, I'd probably cry!
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Matt, a supplemental draft during the All-Star break would be available for all leagues.
The Overall would remain the same, the only difference being the addition of players during the All-Star break.
This is just a thought for future years. The rules for this year are already in stone.
On my tombstone-

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Matt, a supplemental draft during the All-Star break would be available for all leagues.
The Overall would remain the same, the only difference being the addition of players during the All-Star break.
This is just a thought for future years. The rules for this year are already in stone.

I love this idea and we'd have 3 months to put in these FAAB moves which would run during the all star break.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:53 pm

I was thinking of a supplemental five round draft, but I like FAAB better.
Great thought!
There'd be less headaches logistically since some teams will have lost interest and won't put much effort into a re-draft. Plus faab would not limit us to the rounds of a supplemental draft.
Perfect deadline would be the hour the All Star game starts.
On my tombstone-

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I’d be against a one time in-season FAAB period. These leagues are ‘draft and hold’.

Injuries are unfortunate, but it happens; that’s one of the reasons that we are drafting 50 players. We all draft X-amount of C/MI/OF/P’s, so that we have backups to fill out roster spots. Sometimes those backups work out, sometimes they don’t, that’s an integral part of the draft and hold game.

The free agents available aren’t exactly difference makers anyway, at least not in my league. According to NFBC’s ranking, the best hitter available with a rank of 130 is Michael Saunders. I don’t want to have to bid $1000 of FAAB to get Michael Saunders.

Now maybe each team can make some marginal gains in the standings (which could be enough to win a championship), but these original “un-draftable” players are not going to move a second division team into a money position.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Not passing judgment on the idea one way or the other (yet)

Something I would be curious to learn is how many players are actually available in these leagues.

What we need is someone with a little bit of computer skills, access to several slow drafts and may have an hour or two to spare to do a little digging. Hmmm.....
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:52 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Matt, a supplemental draft during the All-Star break would be available for all leagues.
I thought about this being the possibility after I responded, Dan. Thanks for clarifying.

It appears I'm in the minority of the responses so far. I enjoy the 'You made you bed, now sleep in it' aspect of the 'Draft and Hold' format. I'm one who anguishes on the Plouffe/Ludwick/Campana pick 1 of 3 scenarios that rise before me twice a week in addition to all the pitching matchup options in these types of leagues. With that being said, I spend enough time on these as is coupled with FAAB in a number of other leagues. I'm not looking to add more (time consuming requirements).

Dan, to followup on one your threads on your Forum....how do you think a Jesse Jastremski would feel about navigating through 23 midseason FAAB's all at once? :shock: He's obviously an outliner in terms of the number of leagues, but many slow drafters are in multiple slow draft leagues. Just a thought there. Just my opinion on this. Love the format with this and would change my ways in regards to it if the masses get it changed. I just wouldn't "vote" for it.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:02 pm

No problem Russ and Matt. They're just ideas to think about.
We've gone from 45 to 50 players. The pool is so dry by the end of the 50th round, that going beyond is fruitless.
The only way to buoy some teams would be an addition during the season.
Ideas are meant to be kicked around and beaten up before being accepted or discarded.
All part of the process.

You're right, Matt! Mr Jastremski would be a busy guy!
But, at the same time, his teams could really use the infusion.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:03 pm

In Slow Draft 3 these players would be available: This was based on a 5 minute scan.

*Felix Doubrant
*Drew Smyly
*Wei-Yen Chen
*Drew Hutchinson
*Andy Petitte
*James Russell
*Ryan Cook

*Michael Saunders
*Jarrod Dyson
*Will Middlebrooks
*Kirk Nieuwenheis
*Brian Dozier
*Gregor Blanco
*Daniel Nava

Plenty of talent to fill in roster spots for many of our starting lineups. Middlebrooks would probably be the only Max player with a 1000 bid.

Rog

Post by Rog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 pm

in slow draft 2 I have 16 players on the dl and 6 demoted or in the minors.But I wouldnt change a thing ,I love the fact that everybody is in the same boat.Well for the most part depending on when you drafted .To be able to do any type of pickups would ruin the entire concept of it for me.

Scared $ Dont Make $

Post by Scared $ Dont Make $ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:29 pm

I will throw out my objective point of view since I am not in any slow draft leagues.

My theory is this if you have an All-Star break FAAB session:

The teams that are being beat up with injuries will need to fill many holes, thus spread their bidding dollars across many. They are also probably the teams struggling to compete by the all-star break.

The teams doing well in the standings will/would be smart to throw 1000 or 990+ on 1 player to really help them. And keep a 1 for some September call up flyers.

Since the draft pool will be so limited, the teams hammered with injuries won't end up getting enough fill-ins because the top teams will do the all-in theory because they just need to add 1 player for depth.

So this would really seem to actually help the guys at the top who just want 1 player to add depth or fill in 1 spot. So the gap between the haves and have-nots will most likely just widen even more.

You fix one of your issues with a midseason FAAB, and then the next request will morph into wanting a monthly FAAB to try to fulfill your teams lack of depth or lack of luck.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:53 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I was thinking of a supplemental five round draft, but I like FAAB better.
Great thought!
There'd be less headaches logistically since some teams will have lost interest and won't put much effort into a re-draft. Plus faab would not limit us to the rounds of a supplemental draft.
Perfect deadline would be the hour the All Star game starts.
A good idea gets better.
- Robert

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Scared $ Dont Make $ wrote:I will throw out my objective point of view since I am not in any slow draft leagues.

My theory is this if you have an All-Star break FAAB session:

The teams that are being beat up with injuries will need to fill many holes, thus spread their bidding dollars across many. They are also probably the teams struggling to compete by the all-star break.

The teams doing well in the standings will/would be smart to throw 1000 or 990+ on 1 player to really help them. And keep a 1 for some September call up flyers.

Since the draft pool will be so limited, the teams hammered with injuries won't end up getting enough fill-ins because the top teams will do the all-in theory because they just need to add 1 player for depth.

So this would really seem to actually help the guys at the top who just want 1 player to add depth or fill in 1 spot. So the gap between the haves and have-nots will most likely just widen even more.

You fix one of your issues with a midseason FAAB, and then the next request will morph into wanting a monthly FAAB to try to fulfill your teams lack of depth or lack of luck.
Actually, I think you would see a lot of $1000 bids with the teams doing worse getting the best players available due to the worst-record tie-breaker. Probably have to make this a completely random selection with no worse-record tie-breaker to avoid teams purposely tanking the week(s) before the All Star break to position themselves better for the lone FAAB draft ala the NBA a few years ago.
- Robert

Dak

Post by Dak » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 am

Leave it the way it is.............not necessary to explain why!!!!!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Dak wrote:Leave it the way it is.............not necessary to explain why!!!!!
ditto

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Very bad idea. I only do the slow drafts because so far I haven't been crazy enough to drop $1,400 on a main event team. The slow drafts are great because you don't have to go searching the waiver wires every week. Pick your 50 players, and you're done. My 2 slow draft teams have been hit hard by retirements and injuries, but that's ok. I should have made better picks. This idea is another example of..... 'If it's not broken, don't fix it!!!"

jwillh9181

Post by jwillh9181 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:56 pm

I totally agree no changes needed. Live with what you draft.

I am in 2 slow drafts and I loved that I had to place my bets and live with them, even though an early pick was Soria. I took Rendon with my last pick in one league, you never know. Well now I do lol

I will definitely be back if this keeps to a draft and lineup league, I don't have time for another FAAB league. Especially with lack of tools on this website(I am use to CBS).

Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 am

I vote for no changes.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 am

as much as wish there was a way to replace injured players ( I am avg 9 per team so far) I would vote for no changes also.

There is one other game that might be interesting, a slow draft 30 player roster with FAAB.

low talkers

Post by low talkers » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 am

I think 12-team slow drafts would be a great idea. Would allow the back end of rosters to be filled with better players.

Money

Post by Money » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:37 am

low talkers wrote:I think 12-team slow drafts would be a great idea. Would allow the back end of rosters to be filled with better players.
I think the 12 team slow drafts would be a nice addition. You could have two seperate championship pools.

Another change I'd like to see is the setting of lineups. In the NFFC slow draft competition you never even have to set a lineup, the computer does it for you. I realize the scoring with the ratio's isn't cut and dried vs the counting stats but a system could be easily devised.

I must admit I'd pay for a couple of slow drafts simply for the prep work for the main events. They're pretty darn good the way they are.
Joe