One Championship

One Championship

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:39 am

It is a shame that two reputable groups have to compete against each other for the same event. I wish people could put personal issues and personal gain aside to allow us to have one mega event, rather than spread the talent base over two different contests. We all have great contacts and friends in the industry, and it would be great to compete against every one of them and crown a true champion for 2004.

I know the opportunity existed last year to consiolidate, just a shame to see us where we are today. Unfortunately, it is indicative of our desire to put personal gain above all else :(

Just some thoughts - sorry for the soapbox

One Championship

I guess my take on it is that competition makes for a better product and better customer service as the different entities need to compete for their customers. This is for fun so why do we need to have one overall champion? Different games allow for more players to get in the mix and have a little fun.

One Championship

Different games? The rules are identical

One Championship

I have to agree with Herron and I believe there will be only one event as early as this year and no more than two years at most. There just isn't enough high stakes Baseball gamers willing to come to Vegas to support two events on the same day, although I would have done both if they had been on different days.

I looked long and hard at both events and it finally came down to choosing the one I felt would survive. I felt the NFBC had four big things going for it.

1. The three cities approach.

While it may take a couple years for NY and Chicago events to draw a lot of gamers they should be able to fill 2 or 3 leagues in each city which would already equal what the WCOFB is shooting for.

2. A crazy gung-ho baseball nut front man in Greg Ambrosius.

He seems to be online 24 hrs. a day and has put together an excellent format that is used in both events

3. Greg and Krause hosting the National Fantasy Sports Trade conference the day before in the same hotel gives them a pretty good captive audience to pull entrants from and I believe most of the fantasy baseball websites will throw their support behind the NFBC and send entrants.

4. I believe Krause will only do a Baseball championship event and will be able to spend all their resources year round on just this event. The WCOFF is a monster event and it's understandable that it draws more attention than the baseball event, but being a baseball guy I want to be the bride and not the bridesmaid. I want my baseball event to get year around attention and as long as the WCOFF is as big as it is the WCOFB will always play second fiddle.