KC/TB Trade!

Edwards Kings

KC/TB Trade!

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:42 am

Is it just me, or do you all feel a disturbance in the Force!

There is a Doughboy's blog coming, I just know it...

Last edited by Edwards Kings on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Re: KC/TB Trade!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am

:lol:

I received one call late last night and two this morning already, plus a few e-mails.
I'm trying to hold back. I don't want to pile on....
But, you're probably right, I won't be able to contain myself. :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am

I responded to one of the columns on MLB.com about the trade - just couldn't help myself because adding Shields and Davis doesn't make the rotation of Guthrie, Santana, and Chen even close to the best in their division. I would have preferred that the Royals keep the prospects - Especially Myers and then when they were close add a key SP.

But Dayton Moore and his job are ALL IN on Kansas City making the playoffs in 2013 or 2014 because if that doesn't happen he should be running out of town so the people with the tar buckets don't catch up to him.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 am

Captain Hook wrote:I responded to one of the columns on MLB.com about the trade - just couldn't help myself because adding Shields and Davis doesn't make the rotation of Guthrie, Santana, and Chen even close to the best in their division. I would have preferred that the Royals keep the prospects - Especially Myers and then when they were close add a key SP.

But Dayton Moore and his job are ALL IN on Kansas City making the playoffs in 2013 or 2014 because if that doesn't happen he should be running out of town so the people with the tar buckets don't catch up to him.
If Moore knew he was going to trade Myers this off-season, then he definitely should have called him up last August to start the arbitration clock on someone else's player!! ;)

I think the Royals will live to regret getting rid of Myers.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 am

Wil Myers is the AL version of Brandon Belt -- a minor league BABIP monster than needs to make more contact or he is a .260 guy with some pop.

Put me on the KC side. Hitting/scoring runs won't be their problem -- keeping other teams from doing the same will be and Shields addresses that.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 pm

ToddZ wrote:Wil Myers is the AL version of Brandon Belt -- a minor league BABIP monster than needs to make more contact or he is a .260 guy with some pop.
Ouch! Not saying you are wrong, but Ouch! :o
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
ToddZ wrote:Wil Myers is the AL version of Brandon Belt -- a minor league BABIP monster than needs to make more contact or he is a .260 guy with some pop.
Ouch! Not saying you are wrong, but Ouch! :o
could be worse - he could have said the 2012 version of Brandon Wood ;)

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Difference is I have some level of faith that both Belt and Myers can indeed take the next step (just not assuming it will happen).

Wood?

Well, at least we get to keep the final slide of the spring First Pitch Forum series, the one picking potential Black Swan candidates -- we just change the team name every year. Ironically, this year it will be KC.

Subscribe HERE

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:21 pm

I think it was a terrible trade for KC. In exchange for Myers and a very good pitching prospect, they got Shields (for two years) and Wade Davis (who, having excelled in the bullpen, probably will be made a starter, where he has been mediocre). Myers will be raking for the Rays long after Shields has left KC. I know, I know, KC is making the move to win now. Well, it seems to me they are taking on about $12-15 million in extra salary in 2013 and 2014. For that amount of money annually, they probably could have added a Sanchez/Lohse/Dempster type and kept Myers long-term.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm

For what it's worth, I could not hold back.
You were right, Wayne :D
On my tombstone-

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Mike wrote:I think it was a terrible trade for KC. In exchange for Myers and a very good pitching prospect, they got Shields (for two years) and Wade Davis (who, having excelled in the bullpen, probably will be made a starter, where he has been mediocre). Myers will be raking for the Rays long after Shields has left KC. I know, I know, KC is making the move to win now. Well, it seems to me they are taking on about $12-15 million in extra salary in 2013 and 2014. For that amount of money annually, they probably could have added a Sanchez/Lohse/Dempster type and kept Myers long-term.

Mike

I am not a fan of the trade either ... BUT Shields is a much better pitcher than Sanchez (who wants 5 years/$90 million), Lohse or Dempster

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Hook - I agree that Shields is better than Sanchez, Lohse or Dempster, but I don't think the difference is all that huge. I think Lohse or Dempster - but perhaps not Sanchez - could be had for three years at or less than the annual cost of Shields and Davis. If you take the secondary players out of the equation, who would you rather have: (a) Shields for two years; or (b) Lohse or Dempster for three years PLUS Myers for at least five years?

I guess all I'm saying is that for the added salary that the Royals are taking on for 2013 and 2014, they could've upgraded their pitching without sacrificing Myers.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Andrew Friedman is a very smart man.
Freed up money. Filled an empty spot in right field.
Got a top prospect who was given up on. Got a top prospect pitcher who has a lot of promise.
And a big third baseman who could be traded or moved to 1B if he proves himself.
All this, for two years of Shields and Wade Davis.
Those four or five Tampa fans with season tickets will be ecstatic.
On my tombstone-

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 pm

KC is not looking for an incremental, "bang for the buck" improvement -- they are looking for a major upgrade.

And, Shields is significantly better than what's available in free agency. The 30+ innings he will toss is HUGE, since the KC 'pen is going to be key of the team does anything.

Subscribe HERE

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm

I think both teams did well, filling in areas of need. KC needed starting pitching and TB needed a big slugger. The only uncertainty in this deal, in my mind, is Myers, since he hasnt done anything yet in the majors and we have all seen big sluggers in the minors, who strike out a lot, not do too well in the majors. But, I think it was worth the risk for Tampa, to get a potential slugger and trade away their over-abundence of pitching. Even deal, in my mind, and refreshing we are talking about a deal between two low spending teams. The fact that the Yankees and the Dodgers were not a part of this deal is a win for everyone (except the Yankees and Dodgers)....

Brock

Post by Brock » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 pm

I like the trade 4 KC. At least now they have a legitimate ace and Wade Davis is a very good pitcher. KC's rotation now with Shields and Davis at the top instead of Ervin and Guthrie is huge. Wil Myers was very impressive in the minors last year but to date has no major league abs. With KC's young group of hitters this move for pitching seems like the right thing to do. Only time will tell but KC is going for it which is refreshing to see.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 am

Mike wrote:Hook - I agree that Shields is better than Sanchez, Lohse or Dempster, but I don't think the difference is all that huge. I think Lohse or Dempster - but perhaps not Sanchez - could be had for three years at or less than the annual cost of Shields and Davis. If you take the secondary players out of the equation, who would you rather have: (a) Shields for two years; or (b) Lohse or Dempster for three years PLUS Myers for at least five years?

I guess all I'm saying is that for the added salary that the Royals are taking on for 2013 and 2014, they could've upgraded their pitching without sacrificing Myers.

Mike
I agree with your point in general
...although in specifics Dempster wants more for three years AND wants to stay in the NL and I think Lohse is a much better NL pitcher as well

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 am

As a KC fan I am now okay with it. At first I thought it was far too much to give up. Then I remembered a few things that make it just fine.

1. At some point they need to try and win. All the prospects and talent in the world aren't going to matter if they don't get some pitching. They got some.

2. Wade Davis could still figure it out and be very very solid. Pretty good arm and he may have(very unlikely it translates to starting, but possible) found something last year in pen where he was LIGHTS OUT.

3. Most importantly, if the win now plan doesn't work out, and Shields doesn't start sucking and remains his normal solid then they will easily be able to flip him for a very nice haul. Probably not the haul they just gave up, but most certainly a nice package in any event. When I remembered this part of it, it made me okay with it. Most people don't take this into consideration when evaluating the trade.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:55 am

KC wins easily. Not even close.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:58 am

You waited a LONNNNNNGGGGGG time...

Charles Krauthammer