I Have The 7th Pick In Monday's FSTA Draft

Greg Ambrosius

I Have The 7th Pick In Monday's FSTA Draft

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am

Okay, SiriusXM just ran KDS live on the Rotowire Fantasy Show this morning for Monday's FSTA Experts League in Las Vegas. There are 13 teams in this league, which is a strange number. But what the heck, I'm playing and after finishing 5th last year I'm ready for a better run.

The top 6 guys all took the top 6 picks, so that wasn't any fun. I wasn't in any of those. Then we had Todd Zola take 12, another owner take 13 and someone take 10. I finally got called and took No. 7. I like 6 players who I would be happy to take, so 7 doesn't thrill me. My hope is that someone falls. If not, then I have a decision to make.

I'm sitting between Ray Flowers and Charlie Wiegert. It will be like an old Fanball class reunion!! :lol: I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about. I'm sure Charlie won't stop talking!! :lol: Oh well, should be fun. Tom is arriving late for this draft, so my buddy Rex Weddle is going to sit with me and help me track the draft. Can't wait.

Okay, who do you think will go in the Top 6 (I already know the Top 5)? And who should I take? I'm open for any and all ideas. Since I pick 20th overall in the second round, I should get a good pick there. Let's see some guesses at my first two picks. I'll let you know who I agree with. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Re: I Have The 7th Pick In Monday's FSTA Draft

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 pm

So, Braun, Miggy, Trout and Cano go top four, them probably McCutchen and Kemp. Right in the middle of that draft will pay dividends later, but you have so many options:

1) Meat - Pujols or Votto
2) Meat with risk - Hamilton
3) Balance with risk - Cargo
4) Oooh/Aaaah pick - Strasburg, Verlander, Kershaw

Me? I am going Votto or Cargo. But what do I know. I have no facial hair.

If you go offense, I am guessing you go pitcher in the second (one of Kershaw or Verlander drop, or Price).
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 pm

I tend to agree with Wayne on the first six picks - obviously if you can take McCutchen (or Cano) you do it with a BIG :D

If Kemp is the one left you have to weigh your risk aversity, frankly I would probably take Pujols and suspect that will be the best player for you to start with.

GL

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Cano will be gone.

I like the 12 spot (13 team league)

1-6 were gone and I just don't see a whole lot of difference from 7-13 and I like the ability to pair up picks at the wheel.

I took 12 over 13 since you get to play the "he already has a SS so I can take mine on the way back" sort of game.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:28 pm

ToddZ wrote:I took 12 over 13 since you get to play the "he already has a SS so I can take mine on the way back" sort of game.
Wish you luck. Thought that last year. In my case, they went ahead and took the shortstop (or whatever) anyway.

Jerks. :lol: :roll:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:So, Braun, Miggy, Trout and Cano go top four, them probably McCutchen and Kemp. Right in the middle of that draft will pay dividends later, but you have so many options:

1) Meat - Pujols or Votto
2) Meat with risk - Hamilton
3) Balance with risk - Cargo
4) Oooh/Aaaah pick - Strasburg, Verlander, Kershaw

Me? I am going Votto or Cargo. But what do I know. I have no facial hair.

If you go offense, I am guessing you go pitcher in the second (one of Kershaw or Verlander drop, or Price).
I am thinking Meat or Balance. Can I get a full season out of Votto?? If so, I could be happy with that pick. Someone tell me to take him over Pujols and Cargo. MAKE MY DAY!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Cargo and Votto both had injuries (Carlos "minor" that nagged him the second half, Joey more serious and had surgery), so that will need to be considered. I have them even on that regard.

Votto hits in Great American, where as far as I am aware of they do not soak the baseballs in Coors Lite like they do at home in Colorado. Votto had a 470/567/1037 OBP/SLG/OPS in an OFF year and was better than Pujols in that regard and is at least four years younger than Pujols. Last five years, Votto line drive rate has not dipped below 20% and the last two years was 28% and 30%. No home/road poision. No Cargo, but will chunk in a handful of SB.

BA anchor with prodigious power. Cincinnati has a chance to compete in the central and that means Votto might get meaningful September AB. Colorado with SF, LA, and Arizona in that division? Fourth at best.

Like them both, but Votto is a real knuckle dragger. MEAT!
Charles Krauthammer

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Don't trust Cargo at all with his propensity for injuries, and his 20+ stolen base days may soon be in question. I would go Votto, Pujols, Strasburg, Kershaw, or Verlander over him if those were my only options to pick from. I lean toward offense though with my first few picks though anyway. I made an exception for Strasburg once this year drafting out of the 13 hole. The options that you will have on the turn will be sweet. 8-) Excellent chance that you get two potentially top five performers if it works out the way it's shaping up for you. Be interested to see how it works out.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks for the early input. I agree, I think the first two picks can still be solid. I'm leaning Votto now. Charlie can have his beloved Pujols in an Angels' uniform right after me!! :mrgreen: Okay, keep the thoughts coming. Votto-Longoria? Votto-Reyes? What do you think the start will look like?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:45 pm

pretty hard to tell when it is a "lite draft" - 13 teamer and those of us drafting are pretty much only doing 15s

But I agree with MTMouth you get a very nice player - personally I would take one of the three STUD SP
and do yourself a favor and don't take a second injury concern by drafting Longoria ..... well unless it's Eva ;)

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Captain Hook wrote:pretty hard to tell when it is a "lite draft" - 13 teamer and those of us drafting are pretty much only doing 15s

But I agree with MTMouth you get a very nice player - personally I would take one of the three STUD SP
and do yourself a favor and don't take a second injury concern by drafting Longoria ..... well unless it's Eva ;)
I will return the favor and agree with Hook here. No way I'm taking Longo or Tulo in the first two rounds until they demonstrate at least one full year of the most important skill of all: HEALTH! Pass. Although since there is no money on the line for this draft that I know of, then what the hell, take him if he's there. :mrgreen: Maybe you can snag Joey Bats on the way back if you go with Votto to start. Or how about Justin Upton? Lots of possibilities...
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 am

votto
longoria
hamels

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:pretty hard to tell when it is a "lite draft" - 13 teamer and those of us drafting are pretty much only doing 15s

I will return the favor and agree with Hook here. No way I'm taking Longo or Tulo in the first two rounds until they demonstrate at least one full year of the most important skill of all: HEALTH! Pass. Although since there is no money on the line for this draft that I know of, then what the hell, take him if he's there. :mrgreen: Maybe you can snag Joey Bats on the way back if you go with Votto to start. Or how about Justin Upton? Lots of possibilities...
Yeah, one thing to remember about these industry leagues is this: With no money on the line, the ONLY goal is to win the league. Nobody cares about second place or third place. You win the league and then proclaim to the industry that you are the FSTA Industry League CHAMPION!! So honestly, injuries from a year ago aren't my biggest concern. If Longoria doesn't pull a hammy again this year, he's a bargain at 20. Same with Tulo. I have to pick players with upside who can lead this team to FIRST PLACE!! Nothing else matters.

Upton is possible. But I can see a scenario like Greg Churchill says just above. Not a bad start.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 am

I think you'll be able to watch this draft in real-time at these locations:

http://www.rtsports.com/fsta

or

http://www.rtsports.com/siriusxm

This starts around 4 pm PT on Monday. Enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Baseball Furies wrote:

Yeah, one thing to remember about these industry leagues is this: With no money on the line, the ONLY goal is to win the league. Nobody cares about second place or third place. You win the league and then proclaim to the industry that you are the FSTA Industry League CHAMPION!! So honestly, injuries from a year ago aren't my biggest concern. If Longoria doesn't pull a hammy again this year, he's a bargain at 20. Same with Tulo. I have to pick players with upside who can lead this team to FIRST PLACE!! Nothing else matters.

Upton is possible. But I can see a scenario like Greg Churchill says just above. Not a bad start.
thanks. my first three picks lg 2136. similar mind set. only pay the top three, so have to draft for upside. hope it works.

Lobbyist999

Post by Lobbyist999 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:12 am

I'll follow it on account of the drafters, but the format itself is a head-scratcher. Given the litany of experts that are out there, how could they not have added 2 more and play in a format that is a lot more relevant.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Lobbyist999 wrote:
I'll follow it on account of the drafters, but the format itself is a head-scratcher. Given the litany of experts that are out there, how could they not have added 2 more and play in a format that is a lot more relevant.
Well said. Pointless to do a 13-team draft. If you can't fill it with 13 interested, industry professionals, then make it a 15 team, NFBC-style format by inviting a couple of past NFBC champions to jump in with the "experts" for fun, and have the FSTA pay their way out to Vegas. At least this will make it a bit more interesting and relevant that way.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Well they can't get started on time but I will try and post early picks

1.01 - USA Today - Ryan Braun
1.02 - Fantasy Alarm - Miguel Cabrera
1.03 - Colton & Wolfman (Rotoworld) - Robinson Cano
1.04 - Fantasy Sharks - Mike Trout
1.05 - Fantistics - Matt Kemp
1.06 - Fantasy Drive - Andrew McCutchen
1.07 - NFBC (Greg) - Joey Votto
1.08 - CDM Sports - Albert Pujols
1.09 - RTSports - Prince Fielder
1.10 - Rotowire - Giancarlo Stanton
1.11 - Baseball HQ - Carlos Gonzalez
1.12 - Mastersball - Buster Posey
1.13 - KFFL (Heaney) - Jose Bautista

2.01 - KFFL - Dustin Pedroia
2.02 - Mastersball - Justin Upton
2.03 - Baseball HQ (Shandler) - Adrian Beltre
2.04 - Rotowire - Bryce Harper
2.05 - RTSports - Evan Longoria
2.06 - CDM Sports - Troy Tulowitzki
2.07 - NFBC - Josh Hamilton
2.08 - Fantasy Drive - Hanley Ramirez
2.09 - Fantistics - Clayton Kershaw
2.10 - Fantasy Sharks - David Wright
2.11 - Colton & Wolfman - Jason Heyward
2.12 - Fantasy Alarm - Ian Kinsler
2.13 - USA Today - Justin Verlander

okay last one for me ..... Cheers
Last edited by Captain Hook on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Atta boy GREG!
Charles Krauthammer

slopshot

Post by slopshot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Why Sale over Grenkie?

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Value picks so far : Josh Hamilton middle 2nd round (Greg), Steven Strasburg middle 3rd round, Max Scherzer middle 9th round

Drafted too early: Ryan Howard early 5th round, Austin Jackson end of 6th round, Jose Altuve end of 7th round

Interesting draft. A lot of speed going early.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm

I was shocked to see Ryan Howard drafted so early. I just don't see it. Too early by many rounds in my opinion.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Greg - why Castro over Strasburg in the 3rd round?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 am

Who was drafting for Shandler? First fifteen rounds six pitchers, five outfielders, serious injury risks...not quite the program he preaches. What wonky strategy was he trialing?
Charles Krauthammer

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Who was drafting for Shandler? First fifteen rounds six pitchers, five outfielders, serious injury risks...not quite the program he preaches. What wonky strategy was he trialing?
That Markakis pick in rd 6 was genius though...
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb