Owner Michael Black

Gekko

Owner Michael Black

Post by Gekko » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Just a warning to my NFBC brothers and sisters to STAY out of draft champion leagues that Michael Black signs up for. He is someone who feels he gets 8 hours to make every pick. He even logs in, sees the picks that were made, knows he's on the clock, and then leaves for hours claiming he is conducting research or talking things over with his "conglomerate of owners". Here are some of his posts:

"I represent a conglomerate of owners. There is a lack of agreement at this time."

"you dont give a shit about my time. Always wanting me to rush and make a pick. Rules say 8 hours"

"We do get 8 hours a pick. just saying."

"I do not wish to quarrel. Enjoy the draft, and don't worry about the time.....i don't."

and finally, when other owners type in the chat log if anyone emailed him that he's been on the clock for hours, he replies back "what is the point in emailing me? I've been online the entire time"

Greg/Tom: I won't sign up for anymore leagues this guy is in, and if he happens to sign up for a league I'm in, remove me immediately. sorry to cost you guys revenue, but the guy is KILLING your leagues.

PS - I heard is is doing the same thing to another league right now.

Bronx Yankees

Re: Owner Michael Black

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 pm

You have my sympathies. I have not come across that guy, but know that you can have 13-14 responsive, considerate owners, but it only takes one or two absentee and/or inconsiderate owners to ruin it for everyone else. The new four-hour limit drafts are the way to go for now.

Going forward, I wouldn't mind seeing even more flexibility with the draft clock. For instance, it would be nice to have a four-hour clock or shorter (three-hour or two-hour) for most of the day, with a longer clock for the middle of the night. If folks knew they could sleep uninterrupted, there may be a lot of interest for shorter clocks during waking hours.

Another thought would be to have personal clocks. For instance, everyone would get 24 hours total (or shorter) to make their 50 picks. Under this approach, the longest a 15-team draft possibly could go would be 15 days, but they really would be far quicker because most teams probably wouldn't use their entire allotment. Once your 24 hours are up, you are on auto pick the rest of the way and must keep your queue stocked. With this approach, there would be a limit to how long someone could make others wait while he checks with others in his "conglomerate." it also is fair because everyone gets the same amount of time.

I know these suggestions are not possible this year. I think the NFBC has done a GREAT job this year increasing the types of 50-round drafts that are available to different types of owners (with varying levels of patience, a trait I lack on occasion). I love the four-hour format and may not do another eight-hour draft. In future years, greater flexibility with the clock may allow even more options (which, in turn, should increase customer satisfaction and help the 50-round format continue to grow rapidly).

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Surrender Dorothy

Post by Surrender Dorothy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:58 pm

I've done 7 DCs so far this year, and the first 6 were absolutely a blast. Without a doubt, the best fantasy product available. All of the owners were excited, mostly considerate. The drafts flew by: the quickest was over in 9 days, and the longest took about 19. All the while, owners were checking, talking noise in the chat, building camaraderie.

Then I signed up for the draft with Micheal Black.

This is like a return to the early days, when it seemed like every DC had a t least one owner who thought it was his given right to use all 8 (or even 12) hours every pick. Complete disregard for basic math, and for the time of the other owners. One owner like this can single-handedly shut this format down.

Like Gekko, I've this guy to my "do no draft list".

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 pm

That's why I have adopted a firm policy of not signing up for drafts that I'm not at least familiar with all 14 other names on the list, and probably never again for anything that is not a "4-Hour Express" or a "well-paced" draft option. Sorry to hear of your plight. It does suck. I am a recovering Marcel victim. :(
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

tavo2311

Post by tavo2311 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 am

Being new I don't do a ton of these things like some of you guys (yet). I only did two last year, and thus far two this year. But man my success rate is bad! Once last year and now this guy currently, completely killing the fun of what be my most favorite type of draft. I guess I am hitting .500!

I just missed the 4 hour one but will be in the next one.

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 am

Gekko who are the NFBC sisters?

Our draft has a similar guy whose name I will not print but will gladly advise of privately.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Mark,

Vegas currently has you at 1/5 to win the draft champions overall. You knew by the shear volume of your leagues that you'd run into this. With that said I do appreciate the heads up. These contests are not supposed to be contested in this manner. There a chosen few that simply do not understand. There is one of them running around LA right now and he needs to be caught. ;)

Don't know where that came from, it's been a long weekend. :D
Joe

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:37 pm

I tried to get my home league, which is an auction, to play as a group in one of these last year or the year before and running a "multi-owner" team is difficult. Not something I would try again, but as I have done this, I do understand his position. When I tried it, we had five(or more) co-owners and of course five or more different options and opinions. Catcher early? Wait on pitching? Upside vs certainty? What I did after about ten rounds was assign rounds like in the snake 11 & 20, 12 & 19 ... 15/16. You might want to suggest the idea.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Why don't you calm down Mark ? Mr. Black is probably working on some hilarious shit b/w his picks :twisted:
michael ian black.jpg
Comedy takes time ya know!
michael ian black.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Always be closing.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 pm

I do sympathize for anyone who has an experience of one owner who sabotages a draft. It ruins the whole experience for everyone involved. I have often wanted to post a thread like Gekko did here, but have always taken the high road. Maybe a nudge to Greg or Tom once or twice, but I haven't taken it to the boards.

I would like to provide an update on Michael Black. I am in DC 58 with him. When I saw Michael signed up after me I almost called Greg and had him put me in the next one. I figured that since this will be my last DC of the year outside of the 1k that starts on Monday, that I didn't care if DC 58 took 4 weeks. I would be plenty occupied with the big boy DC.

I just thought I would take a few minutes to let anyone who cares know that Michael has figured out the type of community he has now entered. We started Thursday at 5pm and are wrapping up Round 4 now. Michael has posted his cell phone number for texts and has picked in a very timely fashion. He was at the Blackhawks game tonight and made 2 picks during the game. He has been engaging in the chat room and I consider him the type of player you would like to play with in a DC format.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Elvis Lives

Post by Elvis Lives » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Ando wrote:I do sympathize for anyone who has an experience of one owner who sabotages a draft. It ruins the whole experience for everyone involved. I have often wanted to post a thread like Gekko did here, but have always taken the high road. Maybe a nudge to Greg or Tom once or twice, but I haven't taken it to the boards.

I would like to provide an update on Michael Black. I am in DC 58 with him. When I saw Michael signed up after me I almost called Greg and had him put me in the next one. I figured that since this will be my last DC of the year outside of the 1k that starts on Monday, that I didn't care if DC 58 took 4 weeks. I would be plenty occupied with the big boy DC.

I just thought I would take a few minutes to let anyone who cares know that Michael has figured out the type of community he has now entered. We started Thursday at 5pm and are wrapping up Round 4 now. Michael has posted his cell phone number for texts and has picked in a very timely fashion. He was at the Blackhawks game tonight and made 2 picks during the game. He has been engaging in the chat room and I consider him the type of player you would like to play with in a DC format.
I agree with Ando. I was in the earlier draft with Michael, and it was rough in the early going. In our current draft, however, Michael is doing exactly as Ando stated above, and it has turned out to be a pleasure to draft with him. Believe me, I was as frustrated as anybody - but if we're going to rip people, especially those new to this wonderful activity, I think we also need to be fair in giving them props when they not only get on board, but really help in moving the draft forward.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Ando wrote:I do sympathize for anyone who has an experience of one owner who sabotages a draft. It ruins the whole experience for everyone involved. I have often wanted to post a thread like Gekko did here, but have always taken the high road. Maybe a nudge to Greg or Tom once or twice, but I haven't taken it to the boards.

Well said and well done on the Ando. Great to hear I don't have to make a trip out to Chicago to pay a friendly visit to Mr. Black. ;) Great to have MB in the fold and playing nice in the NFBC sandbox with the rest of us kids... 8-)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry