Ideally, When Would You Want Draft Spots?

How Many Days In Advance Do You Want Draft Picks For This Year's Main Events?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:40 pm

a) Day of Event
18%
b) Day Before Event
3%
c) 2-3 Days
3%
d) 4-5 Days
3%
e) 6-8 Days
51%
f) 9 or more Days
23%

Total votes: 39

Greg Ambrosius

Ideally, When Would You Want Draft Spots?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 pm

The number of days before your drafts that we can provide your draft spots varies from contest to contest. This year in the Draft Champions Leagues we've given owners less than 24 hours notice and folks have handled the quick turnaround very well. We haven't heard a single complaint about the timing of draft spots yet this year.

In the Online Championship, we are also set up to run KDS the night after we fill up a league and even a few minutes before the start of a league if needed. Again, owners have adjusted nicely to this and are well prepared when draft spots are announced.

For the high-dollar private leagues, we'll likely email each league and come up with a solution that isn't too early but isn't right on top of the draft date, either. It makes sense to announce those a bit closer to Draft Day.

In the Main Events, we've had a tradition of announcing draft spots the week before the drafts. It gives everyone 7-8 days to prepare for the draft spots. That's been the case for the NFBC Classic, although the NFBC XII last year had several leagues that formed days before the draft and sometimes even the day before the draft. Again, everyone adjusted just fine.

So with all of that being said, let's just talk about the NFBC Classic and the NFBC XII, our 2 Main Events. Ideally, if you had your choice, how many days in advance would you want your draft spot? Vote once above and we'll just see what the consensus is. Even if it shows us a range of options, that would be good information. And we'll probably send out a survey for this rather than just do a Message Board posting. I just wanted to start it here to see some instant feedback on the boards.

Okay, how many days in advance -- again, ideally for you -- would you want your Main Event draft spots?
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Ideally, When Would You Want Draft Spots?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 pm

After the initial poll, I talked with a friend in the NFBC about the poll. He said that by the time March comes, the Live Main Event becomes like Christmas to a child. With each day that passes, the anticipation builds more and more as that day of unwrapping his present and seeing who he selects becomes clearer and clearer. He told me that the leagues and draft picks that were picked a week in advance was like the stocking stuffer given before Christmas.
A small token to make the wait to Christmas more bearable.

From a strategic point of view, there's really no difference. We can pick from any spot at any time. It's the same whether our pick is given to us eight days or eight minutes before a draft.
Personally, I love the buzz, the trash talk, the 'I got so and so pick, what'd you get? ' or 'So and so is in my league, who's in yours? There's nothing like it. And there's nothing that get's the Boards more filled and more excited.
That, would be missed.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:After the initial poll, I talked with a friend in the NFBC about the poll. He said that by the time March comes, the Live Main Event becomes like Christmas to a child. With each day that passes, the anticipation builds more and more as that day of unwrapping his present and seeing who he selects becomes clearer and clearer. He told me that the leagues and draft picks that were picked a week in advance was like the stocking stuffer given before Christmas.
A small token to make the wait to Christmas more bearable.

From a strategic point of view, there's really no difference. We can pick from any spot at any time. It's the same whether our pick is given to us eight days or eight minutes before a draft.
Personally, I love the buzz, the trash talk, the 'I got so and so pick, what'd you get? '. There's nothing like it. And there's nothing that get's the Boards more filled and more excited.
That, would be missed.
Agree. Nothing logical about it at all, but I like that week to build the anticipation and buzz to think of who I may get. And I wish I was so sophisticated as many seem to be to really plot out a draft strategy, but really, I just think about my first few picks. And I like a week to drive myself crazy with the endless possibilities. Sorry Chad, sometimes the fun/buzz outweighs the logic of waiting to do KDS as late as possible. Then again, I prefer my Manhattan's with MM46 like I like my NFBC draft slots, primarily to generate a BUZZ!

COZ

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Didn't we do this poll already? Is this the Cocktails & Dreams second chance poll? :twisted:
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 pm

I've drafted in Live KDS leagues for both baseball and football. I've obviously also drafted in leagues that provided early draft spots. Each provides advantages and both are fine. Either way, it's cool with me.

When announcements come out, I'm actually much more concerned with who else ends up in my league than where I'm drafting. I believe it likely has a much greater effect in how I do in my drafts as well.

I'd like to see a KDS based on who we want in our leagues with us. Instead of listing draft spots, we'd list an order from the players we'd least like to see in our leagues to those we want drafting in the seat right next to us.

My KDS would look something along the lines of this......

420. Juprinka
419. Childs
418. Lindy
417. etc.
416. etc.
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
V
1. Massotto

Think of it Mikey, you'd be the Braun, Trout, or Cabrera of this format. :D

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

That is priceless Glen!! Too funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm still laughing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Now THAT, is some funny stuff! :lol:
On my tombstone-

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Glenneration X wrote: I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
V
1. Massotto

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Logically, the later the better. I don't think there are very sound arguments for needing them that early. Not that big of deal in baseball though. In football with games played and so many guys moving so fast the last week in football, I do think logic needs to be used there though for sure. To me it is more fun trying to execute correctly than bantering with people in football. I don't talk much trash anyway:) In baseball it is so much deeper and more complex that it really doesn't matter very much. Like Greg said, I don't think people have a problem finding out late. But if this fun weeklong banter needs to occur, then so be it. No Thursday night game to impact things greatly etc in baseball. I am seemingly in the minority on this anticipation being a key part of the experience. So fire up the picks early if it is that important. No big deal at all. Only thing I ask is that things are staggered, so we can start from different places in different events if we want. With a hard 48 hour or 24 hour deadline that autoruns KDS before your draft, we would all know exactly when it happens and know when we can look to see our spot. And we also know exactly when the consistent deadline would be across all events. When the deadline is simply a certain time for all events a certain weekend it is a bit problematic.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Seems like the winning vote is 7-8 days which i think works well. I look forward to finding out my leaguemates as well as my pick and talk with you guys in Vegas about it. Greg put me down for the party.

Dan DaSilva

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:50 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:After the initial poll, I talked with a friend in the NFBC about the poll. He said that by the time March comes, the Live Main Event becomes like Christmas to a child. With each day that passes, the anticipation builds more and more as that day of unwrapping his present and seeing who he selects becomes clearer and clearer. He told me that the leagues and draft picks that were picked a week in advance was like the stocking stuffer given before Christmas.
A small token to make the wait to Christmas more bearable...............

................. There's nothing like it. And there's nothing that get's the Boards more filled and more excited.
That, would be missed.
Nice to see people got their picks..........but not the same.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 pm

It will be next week for you, Russel :D
On my tombstone-