The Official "Why Did I Draft Josh Hamilton?" Thread

Tom Kessenich

The Official "Why Did I Draft Josh Hamilton?" Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Hamilton has been putrid to start the season but he may have hit rock bottom today. The Rangers intentionally walked Pujols three times to pitch to Hamilton and each time the strategy worked as Hamilton made an out. Hamilton's post-March 1 ADP in the NFBC was 17.63 and with one week of the season nearly in the books he has to be one of the top candidates (if not the top candidate) for Bust of the Year. He's now 1-for-20 with 10 strikeouts.

Fellow Hamilton owners feel free to chime in here. It's been real ugly.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Glenneration X

Re: The Official "Why Did I Draft Josh Hamilton?" Thread

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Hamilton has been putrid to start the season but he may have hit rock bottom today. The Rangers intentionally walked Pujols three times to pitch to Hamilton and each time the strategy worked as Hamilton made an out. Hamilton's post-March 1 ADP in the NFBC was 17.63 and with one week of the season nearly in the books he has to be one of the top candidates (if not the top candidate) for Bust of the Year. He's now 1-for-20 with 10 strikeouts.

I don't have Hamilton on one of my 14 teams. He was a bigtime avoid for me due mostly to the change in scenery and loss of his Arlington support system.

That said, it's real, real early and I wouldn't be all that surprised if I ended up regretting that avoid tag I placed on Mr. Hamilton when all is said and done.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm

I don't have Hamilton on any of my eight teams. I really thought Hamilton, and Stanton, were overpriced given numerous risks. Last year, Hamilton put up great numbers, but he also looked truly horrible at times. His contact rate is a big question mark for me, plus he's hitting in a tougher hitting home park with the pressure of a large contract (not to mention the usual big health risks). Surely he will not be putrid all year, and I bet he will have a few very hot streaks, but I just don't see anything close to last year's numbers when all is said and done.

I'm sure some of my high picks will be busts this year, but I truly was never tempted to take Hamilton this year.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I took Hamilton 26th overall in the main event and i would do it all over again! It was between him and Wright, but I had Wright on my first main event team(28th overall), so I went Hamilton and hell I ended up with Wright 35th overall to boot!!!

Go Amazins...(Hamilton will be ok, slight regression but still be fine)

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:35 pm

They must really be in his head now.
He's walking a tight rope as it is.
Gotta believe that he's being pushed to his limits.
Problem is, if he starts to crack, it will become more than just a slump.

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:08 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:Hamilton has been putrid to start the season but he may have hit rock bottom today. The Rangers intentionally walked Pujols three times to pitch to Hamilton and each time the strategy worked as Hamilton made an out. Hamilton's post-March 1 ADP in the NFBC was 17.63 and with one week of the season nearly in the books he has to be one of the top candidates (if not the top candidate) for Bust of the Year. He's now 1-for-20 with 10 strikeouts.

Idiot right here (raising my hand.) Ignored all the off-season peripherals, swinging-miss percentage crap, the avoid/bust lists, and thought I'd be a contrarian and get good value since everyone was avoiding him like the plague. And thought hitting behind Pujols and Trout would lead to more men on base and thus more fastballs. Brilliant.

Everytime I see that one-handed-guess-fastball whiff swing I want to puke. It's like swinging-miss percentage in action. Starting to hate him almost as much as I hated Pujols at this time last year.
Josh Hamilton Strikeout.jpg
Josh Hamilton Strikeout.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
Puke.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

CASS

Post by CASS » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 am

How about Mr America Mike Trout? keeping up the 25-30% K rate that everyone seemed to ignore when taking him over miggy and braun. Seems to be a little book forming on how to get mikey out...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm

:evil:
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 pm

As soon as official thread posted he goes 2 for 3.... Since I have him in 1 of 2 auction leagues I am glad to see signs of life

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 am

Chthroop wrote:As soon as official thread posted he goes 2 for 3.... Since I have him in 1 of 2 auction leagues I am glad to see signs of life
Grounding out with the bases loaded and nobody on in the first was a killer. So even though he had three hits it felt like an empty night. But let's hope it's an indication he's going to get untracked.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

:evil:
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mlbbug

Post by mlbbug » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Hate to pile on here but Hamilton just whiffed with another pitch down and way from the strike zone and left the bags loaded in 1st inning vs Jarrod Parker :roll: .

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 am

Two bases loaded situations with less than two outs in his first 3 ABs and nothing. 8 runners left on base in his first 3 ABs. He's an absolute train wreck right now. I'm sure things will get better at some point primarily because they can't get any worse.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Scared $ Dont Make $

Post by Scared $ Dont Make $ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 am

If I recall everyone was saying the same things about Pujols last year. He was washed up, he was old, the steroids were wearing off. Then May showed up and Albert woke up. Then by the end of the year Pujols had Pujols numbers.

Same issue with Hamilton, trying to justify his big contract... once he settles in, he will be fine for all you alarmists :D :D
And he is a streaky hitter. I would bench him if I owned him until he woke up... haha :lol:

Or maybe just cut him because he is done!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 am

I expect Hamilton to improve (again it's damn near impossible for him to get worse at this point) but there's no denying he's been pathetic so far. It's obviously early and there's obviously a lot of season left to be played but it's painful watching Hamilton right now and he's absolutely killing his fantasy owners. I see no reason why his owners can't bitch about that if they want. :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mlbbug

Post by mlbbug » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

Hey Tom, they say misery loves company so look at this:Matt Kemp 1st round,pick #5: 3 for 25,.120 BA with 0 HR/2 rbi,0 SB. Hamilton is: 4 for 29,.138 BA, 0 HR/3 RBI. I definitely feel your pain. :shock:

Rich McCormick
Astoria,NY

P.S. I was actually considering taking Justin Upton at 1.5 (right after Terry Haney grabbed Bryce Harper at #4,my original choice at #5) but blurted out Kemp's name at the last minute.....ugh! :!:

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Hamilton. Yard.

(reaches arms out wide)(hugs television)(doesn't let go).

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Tom Kessenich

Re: The Official "I'm So Glad I Drafted Josh Hamilton" Threa

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Thread title change. :D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Raskol

Re: The Official "I'm So Glad I Drafted Josh Hamilton" Threa

Post by Raskol » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Thread title change. :D
Fair weather fan! :mrgreen:
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson