Live Scoring - Stats Presentation

Money

Live Scoring - Stats Presentation

Post by Money » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd like to solicit some feedback on the stats presentation line within live scoring. I've had communication with the NFBC about the way the stat line is presented. Greg suggested that I post a thread for feedback.

I personally would like to see columns that separate the stats. The NFBC thinks that I'm in a minority and most would rather see balls, strikes, outs and a lot of the other nice features. I think there should be a combination of both.

If you use live scoring please comment on your preference and if it's a big deal or not. If you don't use live scoring please don't comment as you probably don't care about the visual stat lines.

There have been comments in other threads about this. Many don't re-post as it's been stated previously. I would like anyone that feels the stat line should be presented differently to post so here. If you use live scoring and don't see a need for a different presentation of the stats please post that as well.

Thanks.
Joe

CALI CARTEL

Re: Live Scoring - Stats Presentation

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Would much prefer the stats in columns, hard to tell if my guy had 1 2B or 1 BB without taking a good look at it. And the game by game batting average is a waste of space, do you really need to see (.600) to know that 3-5 is a .600 average?

AB- R - H - 2B - 3B - HR - RBI - SB - BB - K (would be all that we need at a maximum, can even cut out the 2B/3B and/or K if needed for space).

Never watch the live scoring for my batters while they are hitting, so couldn't care less if there were Ball/Strike/Out's shown on NFBC; I'm either watching the game on TV, listening on Radio, or watching Gamecast on ESPN. It's nice that the live stuff is here, but it's kinda weird just watching it on it's own without knowing the context of the rest of the lineup or the opposing pitcher.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 pm

I would agree that the having the stats lineup perfectly would help at first glance. It does take awhile to get used to the formatting. With that said though, I'm fine either way as I have gotten used to how it is now. I take a cursory glance at what everyone is doing, and mainly pay attention to the bottom part of the stats that are already lined up which tell me total at bats, and IP, etc.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 am

I would love to see the stats presented as they are in the "old version", using the "new version" speed.

For those that haven't noticed, at the very bottom of our current 'Live Standings' page there is a Legend box. In that box is a link that will allow you to watch the live standings using the 'old version'. I would suggest that everyone take a look at that version today and use that as a basis for making suggestions.

It may or may not be the final version of what everyone likes, but in my opinion it's far better than the way the stats are currently presented.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 am

I am not a fan of the new live scoring layout, I agree the columns lined up are a much easier way to view the stats(or lack thereof! :evil: ) I find myself always clicking at the botom to go to the old format. If both models are going to stay in usage, is there a way to make the old stlye the default?
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

Money wrote:I'd like to solicit some feedback on the stats presentation line within live scoring. I've had communication with the NFBC about the way the stat line is presented. Greg suggested that I post a thread for feedback.

I personally would like to see columns that separate the stats. The NFBC thinks that I'm in a minority and most would rather see balls, strikes, outs and a lot of the other nice features. I think there should be a combination of both.

If you use live scoring please comment on your preference and if it's a big deal or not. If you don't use live scoring please don't comment as you probably don't care about the visual stat lines.

There have been comments in other threads about this. Many don't re-post as it's been stated previously. I would like anyone that feels the stat line should be presented differently to post so here. If you use live scoring and don't see a need for a different presentation of the stats please post that as well.

Thanks.
I much prefer the old layout and prefer the columns that separate the stats. The current layout is not easily readable. Do not need to know Errors or other stats that clutter up the line. I agree with all of Joe's prior posts and I commend you for pushing this issue as I pretty much feel the same way as you do. Love the speed of the new version, but the current layout just lacks the cleanness and more appealing layout of the old format. If we could do the old layout with the speed of the new system, that would be perfection to me. That having been said I can live with the new version, but if you want to know my preference, definitely columns for the categories similar to the old layout. And I miss the orange numbers, nothing quite like seeing that number "1" pop up in orange under the Win column (no idea why I miss that but I do). I, for one, have been using the old format because the layout of the new version is so annoying to me. The fact that people are using the older version in spite of its slowness, really, to me, says it all in regards to the look and layout of the new live scoring.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

jvetter

Post by jvetter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am

I know I am brand new on the boards and don't have any clout, but I wanted to give my two cents.

I really like the new format mainly because it gives information on XBH, BB, and K for hitters and hits and walks information on pitchers. It gives a more complete summary of the game for each player then the old format. I think this could be moved into a column format but separate the hitters and pitchers so you don't have unnecessary columns (IE - don't have a column for WHIP/ERA etc. taking up unnecessary space for hitters).

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 am

Count me as another who very much misses the columns way we had before. It is harder to look at this one and figure out what each guy did quickly. I usually just look at the bottom total now, but would love for it to be the way you propose.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 am

I don't follow live scoring much, but when I do, my eyes just travel to the bottom of the page.
The top is too convoluted with unneeded information. Some say that we can never have too much information. In this case we can.
Most participants are looking for a clean and fast page for updates.
The old version is clean, the new version is fast.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Scared $ Dont Make $

Post by Scared $ Dont Make $ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10 am

Old view with columns was much cleaner. If you need all that extra crap/stats go look at a site with all that extra junk. We are in a league with 10 categories... so the other 100 stats in todays world are meaningless to a majority of the owners.

The best way to design apps/sites is use the KISS methodology. Keep It Simple Stupid

You always have people that want to over-complicate things, but the majority of people like clean lines and simplicity. The new layout is convoluted and sloppy. I work with developers so this was the simplest way for them to present the stats.

Simply add two separate code blocks (hitters vs pitchers and add columns specific to each code block). And learn how to size the columns correctly with rounded numbers on categories with decimal places. That was the issue with the old layout is they did not set the column width regardless of screen size. They tried to do it dynamically which caused stats to fall off the side of the page.

Its as simple as setting up the Live Scoring to look IDENTICAL to Team Stats with Standard stats columns. That layout is perfect and supplies the basic categories with a few more relevant ones. And everything fits on the screen with no issue there. So have the same developer that worked on that page work on the live scoring page :D Because two different developers will give you two totally different results.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 am

I prefer the old version far better than new version. As for speed, to me they are both the same. In talking about the speed, the old version is the same no matter what browser I use or whether it’s XP, Win 7 or Win 8. The new version is actually slower in win xp, no matter what browser I use. It constantly hangs and slows my computer. In win 7 it is a little better, but not much. As I primarily use Win XP still, for other reasons, I use the old version when I do check. The reason anyone has speed issues is because of Adobe Flash. Flash is a resource hog when opening any web page that requires it.

The old version is just cleaner to look at. I agree with the other comments the newer version is too busy to look at.

whatever is done I do hope the old version remains an option for everyone.

gsjanoff

Post by gsjanoff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

I think the old version is easier to read than the new version, but the new version is significantly faster.

In my opinion, we only need the information pertaining to our scoring categories.

If we could have what we had last year, but as fast as the new version, and also add in that we are able to see stats for both games when our players have double headers, which I don't recall having previously, I think that would be better than what is there now.

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Agree with several on here that the setup last year was better minus the speed. The columns are so much friendlier on the eyes in the older version. Go with the old layout and juice up the speed for perfection.

Nevadaman

Post by Nevadaman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 am

Old version was much better, except for the loading times and bugs. The new version is faster, but hard to read. As several posters have previously stated, we need the old version back with the speed upgrade of the new presentation.