NFBC Participants Question.....

DOUGHBOYS

NFBC Participants Question.....

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

An April question for all NFBC players....and we can revisit the answers in October.....

John Buck has a minor leaguer eager to take his job.
Evan Gattis has a rehabbing veteran coming back for his.

Which of these two hot hitting catchers will have better numbers in October?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

King of Queens

Re: NFBC Participants Question.....

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 am

If you were a pitcher, who would YOU rather face?

Gattis will have the better numbers, and it won't be close.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am

Hmmmm.....the Braves have a long-time favorite coming back from injury (going out on rehab within about a week), a budding superstar at first base that will be back within a week, a right fielder that has been a major project for the Braves who, despite his current average, is a focus for their long-term team health as well as being one of the better arms in baseball, and a left-fielder who is smokin' hot right now not to mention the major off-season pick-up and salary committment.

Unless Gattis can learn to play third or the Braves go nuts and platoon McCann, when McCann and Freeman come back Gattis has no where to play.

Better ballplayer is Gattis, but I bet Buck ends up with more MLB AB and has better numbers (primarily counting stats) in October.

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Guys with a nickname like El Oso Blanco don't tend to fade into the background :D

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Quahogs wrote:Guys with a nickname like El Oso Blanco don't tend to fade into the background :D
another vote for ... Image

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 pm

I like Gattis, I really do. Great story. Would like him and the story better if he could hit the breaking stuff as well as the fast balls, but what a gutsy kid.

Who do the Braves sit in May when everyone is back so that Gattis can get AB in the majors :?:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 pm

I like Gattis. Check that, I love Gattis.
It's a long season and I can't see Atlanta going through the season without getting dinged at Catcher or one of the corners in the infield or outfield.
Buck gets hot once a year. This year, it happened to be at the beginning of the year. While Buck looks to be the Starter to Gattis backup role right now, I'll guess those roles are reversed come October.
Another vote for the White Bear.
On my tombstone-

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Gattis for me. They'll start him 2-4 times a week based on injury and rest once McCann returns. Will start vs almost all lhp.

The slipper will fall of Buck's foot shortly and by late June when d'Arnaud is up, we'll forget who the Mutts backup C is.

(but since I do own some share of the Buck/d'Arnaud combo in some DC's, feel free to keep that slipper on as long you'd like Johnnie!)
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

dan- you might have just accidently said buck is going to regress. old fast pitch softball players call it getting "hot" and getting "cold"

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Gattis* and I don't think he loses all AB when McCann returns - first of all he is coming back of injury so do you really think they will have him catch every day? Second it's a long season and the Braves know they will have a good shot to get into the playoffs and want to be ready to capitalize then so resting their three outfielders once in a while seems like a good idead; lastly (well not really but for this discussion) they have interleague games interspersed all year so there are several games in AL parks when he can DH.

* Especially with two periods per week and even better if you can guess when those days are the outfielders get rested

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:54 pm

John Buck sucks

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

I think you have to go with the player who has the much more talented supporting cast.....

John Buck in a landslide. :D

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 pm

I could not answer that question yet so I just picked them both up in the same league.
now just trying to figure out how to play them both, that's the tough part (hopefully not by a Mauer injury)

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:43 pm

And is it just me or are the early game stats not showing up yet?

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Gattis is the better player, but Buck will have more opportunity even when D'arnaud is called up. I would say Buck will have more HRs and rbis but Gattis will have the better average. Buck will get more ABs.

uky

Post by uky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Rog wrote:I could not answer that question yet so I just picked them both up in the same league.
now just trying to figure out how to play them both, that's the tough part (hopefully not by a Mauer injury)
hey Rog, don't forget about your "utility" slot!!!..... :D ;)
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:45 pm

uky wrote:
Rog wrote:I could not answer that question yet so I just picked them both up in the same league.
hey Rog, don't forget about your "utility" slot!!!..... :D ;)
I already have victor martinez taking that spot along with Mauer at first, Napoli at corner ,doumit in the outfield along with gattis now. just kidding but that would be a good lineup for everybody else in my league

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 am

Pertaining to Gattis, here's an update about McCann from RotoWorld:

Brian McCann - C - Braves
Brian McCann was in Atlanta earlier this week to have his right wrist examined.
McCann complained of tenderness in the wrist, so the Braves didn't want to take any chances. He was originally expected to test his surgically-repaired shoulder behind the plate in extended spring training games later this week, but it's not clear if the wrist will have an impact on his timeline. Evan Gattis and Gerald Laird will continue to fill in behind the plate until McCann is ready to return.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

California Aces

Post by California Aces » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:37 am

Depends if Buck continues to take questionable supplements.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:52 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:Pertaining to Gattis, here's an update about McCann from RotoWorld:

Brian McCann - C - Braves
Brian McCann was in Atlanta earlier this week to have his right wrist examined.
McCann complained of tenderness in the wrist, so the Braves didn't want to take any chances. He was originally expected to test his surgically-repaired shoulder behind the plate in extended spring training games later this week, but it's not clear if the wrist will have an impact on his timeline. Evan Gattis and Gerald Laird will continue to fill in behind the plate until McCann is ready to return.
And then a few hours later on Rotoworld....

Brian McCann (shoulder, wrist) is expected to begin catching in extended spring training games on Thursday or Friday.
Good news. McCann had his right wrist examined earlier this week in Atlanta, but the issue is described as minor and it shouldn't have an impact on his return from shoulder surgery. Assuming all goes well over the next few days, he could soon be cleared for an official minor league rehab assignment. The Braves are hoping he's ready to return somewhere around the beginning of May.
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Gattis was doing great until I started him in the Sirius Hosts League. 0-for-8 since then.

Sorry folks. I broke him.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 am

And now, with the Heyward surgery and tag-teaming Freddie Freeman to the disabled list, Gattis possibly becomes even more of an everyday player for awhile.
Should be interesting.

Nothing worse then setting a roster and waking up to find overnight that one of those players is out for the entire span.
A wayward Heyward kick to the jimmy's for his owners.
Bill Parcells could have been a fantasy owner when he would tell an ill player, "GET SICK ON YOUR OWN TIME!"
On my tombstone-

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am

Heyward to miss a series in Coors, no less. Double kick to the 'nads. :twisted:
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:And now, with the Heyward surgery and tag-teaming Freddie Freeman to the disabled list, Gattis possibly becomes even more of an everyday player for awhile.
Excellent. More 0-for-4s coming up.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:And now, with the Heyward surgery and tag-teaming Freddie Freeman to the disabled list, Gattis possibly becomes even more of an everyday player for awhile.
Excellent. More 0-for-4s coming up.
I'd still rather have Buck....maybe even Jesus Montero. ;)