"This is Our F**cking City..."

Rainiers

"This is Our F**cking City..."

Post by Rainiers » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 pm

I just watched a wonderfully poignant ceremony that preceded today's Red Sox game. It was in front of a packed house and a broadcast to a very large television audience.

At the tail end of all the other speakers, they handed the microphone to an eloquent David Ortiz. He thanked the Mayor, Governor, the police, etc. He ended the ceremony with the following proclamation... "This is our F**king City, and no one is going to dictate to us. Stay Strong!"

Im not huge fan of cussing, but it seemed appropriate here...

Here is a link to a clip of it if you are interested..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gbBkY4YZgo
- Robert

BK METS

Re: "This is Our F**cking City..."

Post by BK METS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:12 pm

The story of Jeff Bauman is amazing, after losing his legs, being the key person in catching these scumbags. Good to see guys like Julian Edelman and Bradley Cooper recognize a true American hero.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:23 pm

This is a game I won't soon forget.

Neil Diamond's rendition of Sweet Caroline during the seventh inning stretch was awesome.

Followed by Nava's go ahead 3-run home run in the bottom half of the inning. How healing this must be for Boston.

i might have to put a bid in on Nava tomorrow just because...
- Robert

JaserD

Post by JaserD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:41 pm

There may be equal, but there's no better city in the world. Boston Strong!

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Good for Ortiz. I hope he doesn't get fined, but I'm sure it will only endear him more to the fans.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Rainiers wrote:I just watched a wonderfully poignant ceremony that preceded today's Red Sox game. It was in front of a packed house and a broadcast to a very large television audience.

At the tail end of all the other speakers, they handed the microphone to an eloquent David Ortiz. He thanked the Mayor, Governor, the police, etc. He ended the ceremony with the following proclamation... "This is our F**king City, and no one is going to dictate to us. Stay Strong!"

I couldn't understand a f**cking word he said.. :lol:

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Last edited by Deadheadz on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Rainiers wrote:I just watched a wonderfully poignant ceremony that preceded today's Red Sox game. It was in front of a packed house and a broadcast to a very large television audience.

Beautiful pre-game ceremony. Perfect way to begin the healing with the video montage with "Allelujah." I actually cringed when I heard Big Papi's F-bomb and felt it was classless, but not enough to ruin an otherwise perfect ceremony. He could have delivered the exact same message without the profanity, inappropriate given the stage.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Coz, I cringed too when I heard it. I actually replayed it because I couldn't believe my ears...not believing that he would.
Not believing that he would use that word openly, in front of kids and grandmas and everyone. But if anyone could make using the fbomb endearing, it's Big Papi. Here is a large strong man, a leader on his team and in the clubhouse, using the strongest English words he knows to emphasis a point that is very very dear to him. This is our town, damn it! Don't mess with us! It must have felt great to hear to many Bostonians.

Anyways, I got over it pretty quickly. It's important to, because I think we will now be hearing it over and over again. It could eventually supplant "Bucky f**king Dent" as a signature Red Sox phrase.

I'm sure he made a whole lot of people cringe, especially MLB, sponsors and the like, as well as you and me. But I'm going to give him a free pass on this one and I hope MLB does too.

Robert
- Robert

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 am

Ortiz was totally wrong! nothing but an attention grabber.... no place for it...

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:04 am

Outlaw wrote:Ortiz was totally wrong! nothing but an attention grabber.... no place for it...
Outlaw,

Your completely entitled to your opinion. I get it and respect it. But not unexpectedly, Ortiz's profanity is getting a different reception in Boston. This from this morning's Boston Herald, a good read:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_ ... rike_chord

Robert
- Robert

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:54 am

As the reporter also noted, Ortiz was angry, and rightfully so, but, since he is a "public" figure- thats not the type of message to send to young children - anger and cursing? He couldve said "this is our Great city"

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 am

In the heat of the moment, I understand why he said it. My young boys were watching it with me and looked at me with their mouths open, as I have discouraged cursing and don't let them watch movies with cursing. But, its only a word and, in this case, an adjective expressed in proudness and patriotism and joy. I explained to my boys that they are not to use the word, but sometimes, they will hear it and need to know the context of how it is said and why. In this case, I give Ortiz a pass.. as did the FCC.

uky

Post by uky » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 am

I'll chime in on this. I don't like the fBomb's going off in orchestrated situations by athletes when kids are involved. I understand how Papi is deemed a HERO by Bostonians. However, if the Boston City Police Commissioner had stood out there with that Bostonian accent and done it, I don't think we'd be questioning the motive. The people of Boston NEED to be angry and pissed at what happened to their great city over the last few days. I like it a lot better when the real heroes speak out and are recognized for bravery, rather than a athlete trying to get his props.
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:39 am

My take as a life long Bostonian that has been known to use salty language on occasion...

I've seen Ortiz applauded and lauded

I've heard it called classless, inappropriate and attention-getting.

My problem with the curse is I don't feel it was necessary.

I feel the same point could have been made in an equally if not more poignant manner with a different choice of words.

But then, this is how I feel about cursing in general, even though as stated, I swear on occasion. In fact, right after Neil Diamond did his thing, I tweeted "David Ortiz says now let's get some <expletive> runs."

I thought it was funny.

But in general, I think cursing is often the lazy way out of expressing what you want to say. There are times where the message can be delivered in a manner just as meaningful, heartfelt and intense but devoid of cursing. I find by doing so, the message is that much more effective and impactful.

In my not so humble opinion, yesterday was such an instance.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Boston had a packed house. They let you know how they felt about it.
Im not an advocate of cursing just to curse and only Ortiz will know if it was premeditated.
Sure, maybe he stole a moment, but in the end, I will leave parenting and explaining to parents. BK Mets seems to have done a great job, in my opinion, and admittedly, from someone who curses too much, sometimes not even realizing it.

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 pm

And Todd...the tweet is funny, too bad twitter doesnt do accents. :lol: