Money

Re: $$$ Jose Valverde $$$

Post by Money » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Jim Leyland is an ASS
Joe

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Wow....Such a big likeness in Closers in baseball to kickers in football.
Both are remembered for what they do at the end of the game.
Both either have to be an amazing young guy, consistent, or old Mr. Reliable (Even if they aren't) to his Manager/Coach
Both can be retired retreads like Valverde or Gregg who makes their Managers feel better.

Two weeks ago, Valverde and Gregg were dead to fantasy baseball.
Now $$$
Bid and take a shower....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 am

The only problem is (which I feel as a Benoit owner in the Auction Championship) the Tigers have won only two games so far that would have offered a save opportunity. Every other win has been by four runs or more. Benoit has only one save, Detroit two total. YeeeHawwww!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Billyhaze

Post by Billyhaze » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:47 am

Valverde is not good, not wasting my FAAB on him

CASS

Post by CASS » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 am

He's apparantley looked great in his tune ups. Ex proven big time closer for a great team getting the job on apr 24th? Get those pocket books out cause the money is gonna be flying this sunday night! I expect bids in the 400 and up range....esp if your pen is a mess. It's papa grande time!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:45 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Wow....Such a big likeness in Closers in baseball to kickers in football.
Both are remembered for what they do at the end of the game.
Both either have to be an amazing young guy, consistent, or old Mr. Reliable (Even if they aren't) to his Manager/Coach
Both can be retired retreads like Valverde or Gregg who makes their Managers feel better.

Two weeks ago, Valverde and Gregg were dead to fantasy baseball.
Now $$$
Bid and take a shower....
Gregg is not the closer in Chicago. He came in after Marmol already blew the save. The only reason I can see Gregg getting a few chances is, they don't want to put Russell in the role and have to take it away from him when Fujikawa comes back. Its pretty easy to replace Marmol or Gregg. They signed Fujikawa to be the closer and he will be the closer.

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

CASS wrote:He's apparantley looked great in his tune ups. Ex proven big time closer for a great team getting the job on apr 24th? Get those pocket books out cause the money is gonna be flying this sunday night! I expect bids in the 400 and up range....esp if your pen is a mess. It's papa grande time!
Joy. To quote Quahogs, I have Albequerque and Benoit everyFUGGINwhere. Puke. Will definitely be rooting for Valverde to get shelled. Top of the 9th, here we go......

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

PGromek

Post by PGromek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 pm

1-2-3 inning but there were some hard hit outs

He threw nothing but the heater. Fastball in the 93-95 range.

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Can't hear you on the bridge here, Paul....waves are very noisy even from 100 feet above.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 pm

And the cherry on top of this Valverde-is-the-closer sundae is that I now have two useless set-up turds to carry on my bench in order to justify my draft-day brilliance (read: stupidity) in case Valverde has a melt-down.(get it? Sundae metaphor? Sorry. Dumb.)

To quote the great Chris Farley, "I'm such an IDIOT!"

COZ
COZ

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 am

Don't worry guys...Benoit got a four out Hold with one whole strike-out. Those Holds are sooooo valuable in the NFBC.....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 am

COZ wrote:And the cherry on top of this Valverde-is-the-closer sundae is that I now have two useless set-up turds to carry on my bench in order to justify my draft-day brilliance (read: stupidity) in case Valverde has a melt-down.(get it? Sundae metaphor? Sorry. Dumb.)

To quote the great Chris Farley, "I'm such an IDIOT!"

COZ
And I'll still trade you Phil Coke for a three-leg chair :o ;) ;)
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 am

When I drafted him with my 30th pick, I heard a few chuckles and even the moderator was laughing. I said something to the group along the lines of "ok, I know he sucks, but what the heck!" Here's to hoping maybe I can vulture 5-10 saves to go along with the 7.66 era and 1.8 whip(am I being generous?) before he gets blown out again....at least I saved some faab money! :o
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Cotton1 wrote:When I drafted him with my 30th pick, I heard a few chuckles and even the moderator was laughing. I said something to the group along the lines of "ok, I know he sucks, but what the heck!" Here's to hoping maybe I can vulture 5-10 saves to go along with the 7.66 era and 1.8 whip(am I being generous?) before he gets blown out again....at least I saved some faab money! :o
:D

He is throwing hard and at his age...you are good...until his test comes back positive...

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Cotton1 wrote:When I drafted him with my 30th pick, I heard a few chuckles and even the moderator was laughing. I said something to the group along the lines of "ok, I know he sucks, but what the heck!" Here's to hoping maybe I can vulture 5-10 saves to go along with the 7.66 era and 1.8 whip(am I being generous?) before he gets blown out again....at least I saved some faab money! :o
As the Benoit-Albequerque owner, that was probably me chuckling in a very loud ahahahaha-that'll-never-happen-whata-waste-of-a-pick smart-alecky tone-of-voice followed shortly by a more somber & serious, Ted Knight-in-Caddyshack Hardee- har-har old man fake chuckle as I contemplate the possibility of Valverde-as-closer while trying to convince myself with my-now-fake-confident-chuckle that this will never happen, slowly fading into a slight whimper as I envision your last round pick of Valverde actually becoming the closer.

COZ
COZ

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm

COZ chillin to satellite radio 1st hearing about Valverde's callup and insertion to new closer
Attachments
caddyshack205.jpg
caddyshack205.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 6056 times

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Ahahahaha. Other than the fact that I don't fish and I'm not black, pretty much spot on. Good one Quahogs!

COZ
COZ

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Be interesting to see where some of the bids for Valverde are at.. I went a little silly..

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Likewhat17 wrote:Be interesting to see where some of the bids for Valverde are at.. I went a little silly..
What do you consider silly?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Likewhat17 wrote:Be interesting to see where some of the bids for Valverde are at.. I went a little silly..
I went big across the board - looked very good last time out, can't see him losing the job if he keeps pitching well and Detroit as good as anywhere for save opps. But I'll still lose to silly! :D

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm in at $542