Disabled List

KJ Duke

Disabled List

Post by KJ Duke » Fri May 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I've never been in favor of it, but with the apparent accelerated rate of inactive players is the timing right to debate an NFBC Disabled List (maybe 2-player max) for the NFBC next season?

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Disabled List

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 24, 2013 2:40 pm

We should be progressive and change with the way play is on the field. I've never been a proponent of a disabled list either, but I would now entertain the thought.
I also think the game would be more enjoyable with just one catcher. And I know I'll get the folks that say, 'I don't like change, 'what about tradition, 'it's more challenging with two catchers' and I know all that, but the fact of the matter is if Buster Posey or even Mike Napoli goes down today, it is just too much of a penalty on their owners to now be saddled with Jose Molina.
Catchers have, for the most part, been lucky with few injuries this year.At the same time, they are the most prone to injury.

In a 15 team league, I ask myself,
Self? Would it be more enjoyable to roster one catcher or two?
And Self tussles, but has to admit that with so many injuries occurring, they are bound to hit catchers too, and one catcher would probably be the answer.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm

With the amount of injuries these days, yes I absolutely agree. Either a DL or expand the reserve with 2 additional players after draft day... This way the draft is still the same, but you can pick up 2 additional players without dropping anyone.

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Fri May 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Interesting idea that is certainly worth a debate. The one potential negative is that at this time of the year most teams would have 2 players each on the DL which means the free agency pool would be depleted of 30 players. (15 team league) That seems like a significant drop in talent from the free agent pool.

Post by 751542 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm

2 TIMES A WEEK PITCHER MOVES, SCREAMED FROM THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN DELAWARE!! :roll:

if nothing else, close the loophole and be able to sub in a pitcher for a active dl'd pitcher, i feel so unfulfilled when making my, "hitter" ONLY, moves on friday.
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri May 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Red Sox Nation- wrote:Interesting idea that is certainly worth a debate. The one potential negative is that at this time of the year most teams would have 2 players each on the DL which means the free agency pool would be depleted of 30 players. (15 team league) That seems like a significant drop in talent from the free agent pool.
That is my concern as well, how it affects the FA pool. However, some of those players might otherwise be sitting unclaimed in the FA pool, so maybe it depletes the pool by only 20 players? Whatever the number, I prefer it to just expanding the roster by 2 players. If possible, I'd also limit it to players who go on the DL while rostered, so teams cannot pick injured players to stash (if that is STATS-technically possible).

My reason for bringing this up is that in the past the DL seemed to be for players who were simply unable to play, whereas in the past two seasons there seems to be a rise in players being deactivated as a precautionary measure and then holding those players out longer for relatively minor injuries.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri May 24, 2013 3:22 pm

My vote would be no DL. Seven reserve spots seems like plenty to accomodate any injury stashes a team may need to utilize. I believe having a viable FAAB is a more critical tool to have at our disposal. I like the fact that we have to make hard choices once in a while. And this comes from someone who has so many injuries that I've had to leave a shelved player or two in my lineups while setting them tonight.

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 pm

One of the many things I love about the nfbc is the no dl. I would be open to opening up an eighth roster spot, but not a ninth. and yes I have 1 team in the oc that has 5 guys on the dl. The no dl just makes the competition that much harder. So many tough choices

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri May 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Seven reserve spots seems like plenty to accomodate any injury stashes a team may need to utilize ... And this comes from someone who has so many injuries that I've had to leave a shelved player or two in my lineups while setting them tonight.
Is this a bit contradictory? ;)

My vote used to be a clear no, now I'm on the fence. Don't disagree with your points though.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Glenneration X wrote:My vote would be no DL. Seven reserve spots seems like plenty to accomodate any injury stashes a team may need to utilize. I believe having a viable FAAB is a more critical tool to have at our disposal. I like the fact that we have to make hard choices once in a while. And this comes from someone who has so many injuries that I've had to leave a shelved player or two in my lineups while setting them tonight.
I agree with Glen. No DL... tweak some other rules possibly, but a DL in a 15 team would severley limit any addtional fixes or help one may think they can get from the FA pool. A 2 man Dl in a 12 team league would make the FA pool in a 12 teamer look like a 15 team league. It could also change draft strategy too in terms of stashing players. Part of drafting, at least for me, is trying to avoid injury risk players... like an Utley, Stanton, Tulo and others that seem to always miss a bunch of games.

there will be a years where injuries are'nt so bad, I hope...

Billyhaze

Post by Billyhaze » Fri May 24, 2013 5:58 pm

No DL

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Fri May 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I would support a 2 man dl and perhaps limit it one pitcher and one fielder.

My DL's so far:

Ludwick

Eaton

B.Roberts (anyone surprised?)
followed by Ellis
followed by Solano

B. Anderson
Beckett
Viciedo
Plouffe (7 day concussion)
R. Davis

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 pm

At the very least, I agree with RT and we need to allow DL'd pitchers to be replaced on Friday.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat May 25, 2013 5:13 am

As a new NFBC player this year I assumed the 7 player bench was meant to leave room for 2 (or more) DL players, since many other fantasy rosters allow only 5 on the reserve. With higher stakes and prizes I assumed the league creators wanted to keep the playing field level for everyone and therefore let everyone have 7 reserve players not just those who are stashing DL players.

Keeping things consistent for everyone is also why I assume you choose your pitching staff and don't get to change them mid-week.

Much like an MLB manager can put in a pinch hitter, we get to play matchups with our hitter by changing them mid week. In a real baseball game you expect/hope your SP goes the distance so I understand and agree that we shouldn't change out pitchers mid week. The only way I'd be cool with a rule change for replacing a pitcher would be replacing an SP with an RP just for the Sunday games. Like putting in a closer for the 9th inning. And to prevent "streaming" of pitchers, any stats for an RP eligible player who starts a Sunday game after going in to replace an SP wouldn't count.

The point being: either everyone should be streaming pitchers or no-one should be streaming pitchers. There are leagues with daily changes if you like to stream.

Back to the DL topic, my NFBC team current DL:

Austin Jackson
Adam Eaton
Michael Pineda
Brandon Beachy
Colby Lewis

Hoping for a big 2nd half to the season.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 am

No DL. No to expanded bench.

It would not improve the game, only change one strategy and replace it with another. Let's keep it as it is.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

uky

Post by uky » Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 am

This year, I would love additional or DL'd players on my bench as I have been riddled with 4-6 DL players all year. BUT, it WAS my choice to purchase Grandy, Teix, Jeter, Beachy, Motte at the auction. Now I have Kinsler on the DL. It was my choice to roster these guys and take the chance. It doesn't help the BS info we get from MLB about some of the injuries and possible return of players. Personally, I wouldn't want to make a knee-jerk reaction and change the rules, but it wouldn't bother me to be able to DL a player or two either. Maybe walk before we run and be able to DL one player next year. As for the two catcher idea, I like it as is. It's part of the strategy of the game we play.
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:10 am

Edwards Kings wrote:No DL. No to expanded bench.

It would not improve the game, only change one strategy and replace it with another. Let's keep it as it is.
Spot on comment. I agree. No to DL and no to expanded bench.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 am

Approx number of Total Disabled List Days in MLB from 2002-2012**

2002: 17,750
2003: 18,000
2004: 20,500
2005: 18,500
2006: 19,500
2007: 23,000
2008: 22,000
2009: 23,000
2010: 19,500
2011: 20,500
2012: 29,500

2013: ???????

2012 is clearly an outlier.

As for 2013, we have some anecdotal evidence that DL days seem high, but then again, I’ve never meet a fantasy player who didn’t think it was all his guys that were on the DL. :lol:

I’m always open for any discussion that will make this game better. However, one outlier data point and vastly incomplete information for a second data point seems to make this discussion premature until we at least get some final 2013 numbers.

**DL numbers come from Fangraphs
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat May 25, 2013 11:16 am

Hadn't seen the data. :shock:

PEDS ▼ DL# ▲, Wussification factor, or $+player agent influence? Maybe all three.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat May 25, 2013 11:30 am

KJ Duke wrote:Hadn't seen the data. :shock:

PEDS ▼ DL# ▲, Wussification factor, or $+player agent influence? Maybe all three.

Steroids removed/banned/tested after 2006 season. New PEDs testing for more then just Steroids in effect at end of 2011 season (October). Seems the PED's cocktails replaced Roids after the 09 season which correlated to various reports of when BioGenisis and other Clinics came onto the scene. PEDS used for 10 and 11 seasons then MLB and union agree to test for that and up goes the DL days for 12 and it appears this season... just saying.... If this will be the new norm goign forward, so be it, as long as it appears they have gotten rid of any form of PEDS/Drugs/HGH. It will stabilze over time as all players make the physical and training adjustments.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat May 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Just a small sample of what every day looks like now in MLB...by the end of today there will be 30 names on this list of mostly Regualr FT players.... and that will not even count the 10 players who get hurt each day that cuases them to miss time.... just saying...

5/25/2013
Aaron Hicks OF Minnesota Twins + Add To Watchlist Hicks is out of the Twins' lineup Saturday at Detroit, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

5/25/2013
Brian Dozier SS Minnesota Twins + Add To Watchlist Dozier is out of the Twins' lineup Saturday at Detroit, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

5/25/2013
Wilin Rosario C Colorado Rockies + Add To Watchlist Rosario is not in the lineup for Saturday's game in San Francisco, the Denver Post's Troy Renck reports.

5/25/2013
Kelly Johnson 2B Tampa Bay Rays + Add To Watchlist Johnson is not in the Rays' lineup Saturday versus the Yankees, the Tampa Bay Times reports.

5/25/2013
Todd Helton 1B Colorado Rockies + Add To Watchlist Helton is not in the lineup for Saturday's game in San Francisco, the Denver Post's Troy Renck reports.

5/25/2013
Matt Joyce OF Tampa Bay Rays + Add To Watchlist Joyce is out of the Rays' lineup Saturday against

Stephen Drew is not in Saturday's lineup against the Indians.
Drew is hitless in his last 17 at-bats since returning from a back injury, so the Red Sox are hoping that the day off can get him back on track. Jose Iglesias is starting at shortstop in his place.

Matt Wieters is not in Saturday's lineup against the Blue Jays.
Wieters played all nine innings in Friday's win, so the Orioles will rest him in a day game following a night game. Chris Snyder is starting at catcher in his absence.

Jason Kipnis is not in the Indians' lineup Saturday.
The Indians' are resting both Kipnis and Michael Bourn. Kipnis went 0-2 with two walks in Friday's loss to the Red Sox.

Michael Bourn is not in Saturday's lineup against the Red Sox.
No word yet on the reason for his absence, but the Indians are likely just giving him a scheduled day of rest. Bourn spent three weeks on the DL earlier this month with a finger injury.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sat May 25, 2013 3:24 pm

RoundTrippers wrote:2 TIMES A WEEK PITCHER MOVES, SCREAMED FROM THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN DELAWARE!! :roll:

if nothing else, close the loophole and be able to sub in a pitcher for a active dl'd pitcher, i feel so unfulfilled when making my, "hitter" ONLY, moves on friday.
From the desert in southern AZ I hear you brother :D

Absolutely agree.
Always be closing.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sat May 25, 2013 5:45 pm

I am one who leans toward no DL. I like that we have to make tough decisions week to week with roster management and faab. I like being posed with the decision to release a player on DL based on if I think I can get him back if I need him. Having said that, if we did go to a "DL" spot, maybe we start with one instead of 2?

I am curious to know the reason why on Friday we cannot make lineup changes with pitchers in the same way we do offensive players. I know Greg answered this questions before the season somewhere but I cannot remember what the answer was.

anyone know?

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 am

Driver Love wrote:I am one who leans toward no DL. I like that we have to make tough decisions week to week with roster management and faab. I like being posed with the decision to release a player on DL based on if I think I can get him back if I need him. Having said that, if we did go to a "DL" spot, maybe we start with one instead of 2?

I am curious to know the reason why on Friday we cannot make lineup changes with pitchers in the same way we do offensive players. I know Greg answered this questions before the season somewhere but I cannot remember what the answer was.

anyone know?
I'm probably messing this up, but if I recall correctly the pitcher change on Fridays was only allowed for the last 2 wks of the season a couple yrs ago. Some wiseguys were using some kind of loophole (w/in the rules) that enabled them to get xtra starts or some other advantage. I think the DL had something to do w/ that loophole.

I remember I loved it b/c I won a satellite that yr probably w/ help from that rule. I'd start a SP on Mon who threw b/w Mon-Thurs, then bench him on Fri. and throw a closer in there over the wkend to get some needed saves.

I know KJ or another vet can explain the situation far better than I. Bottom line is some felt it was a rule that basically allowed you to cheat. My thinking is if everyone can do it how is that cheating ?
Always be closing.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun May 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Year One (2004) of the NFBC featured a 6-man bench. We should consider ourselves fortunate! :mrgreen: