SWEEP!!!!!

DOUGHBOYS

Re: SWEEP!!!!!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Cubs sweep the White Sox....eye opening
Mets sweep the Yankees......surprising
But, if the Astros keep their lead and sweep four games in LA, THAT is the sweep of the year. :o
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

JEagle

Post by JEagle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Matt Harvey was the 7th pick in the draft....The yankees haven't picked that high since 1992. It's hard to rebuild with Harve's when you pick in the high 20s every year....The yankees could trade for a wheeler also if they didn't want to pay their stars either. I'd rather have Beltran all this time then Wheeler......And for Doughboy that pick in 1992 for the Yankees was Derek Jeter
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:47 am

JEagle wrote:Matt Harvey was the 7th pick in the draft....The yankees haven't picked that high since 1992. It's hard to rebuild with Harve's when you pick in the high 20s every year....The yankees could trade for a wheeler also if they didn't want to pay their stars either. I'd rather have Beltran all this time then Wheeler......And for Doughboy that pick in 1992 for the Yankees was Derek Jeter
Lame excuse. Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera and Cano were undrafted. Pettitte in the 22nd round and Posada in the 24th round.

Billyhaze

Post by Billyhaze » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 am

speaking of the Met's future, and how bright it is supposed to be...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... iew_latest

"They make Mets executives, minor-league coaches and players alike wonder how much of the results they're seeing are real and how much are a desert mirage. The implications are significant, both in terms of player evaluation and player development." excerpted from story

California Aces

Post by California Aces » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:01 am

SWEEP OF YEARS! Angels/Astros (at home no less)

Only live about 25 minutes from the "BIG A". At least I have my fantasy teams to root for.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 am

Billyhaze wrote:speaking of the Met's future, and how bright it is supposed to be...

"They make Mets executives, minor-league coaches and players alike wonder how much of the results they're seeing are real and how much are a desert mirage. The implications are significant, both in terms of player evaluation and player development." excerpted from story

Good stuff!
On my tombstone-

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 am

Billyhaze wrote:speaking of the Met's future, and how bright it is supposed to be...

This is a great article. I wondered what the hell the Mets were doing in Las Vegas and now I know. If you've ever been to that ballpark, it's past the Stratosphere and old Sahara, out where nobody goes. It's an old ballpark that must just bake in the summer. The Major League Baseball Players Association used to hold its Home Run Derby out there in February and I went a few years in a row. What an old joint that is.

It makes no sense for the Mets to have their top affiliate that far away. Callups are a day away. Crazy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 am

Nice Article.... Mets ownership is a disaster... Blame Madoff I suppose... I wonder why the Mets wont Use the new Brooklyn facility for a triple A team, I guess it has MLB territorial restrictions or maybe they would outdraw the the MLB Mets. they could also go and try and cut a deal with Ducks out on long island, but that too probably would impact Mets attendance.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Over the last few years, I don't think either New York team has an ownership that can fully be trusted. During that time, both ownerships have built new ball parks, only to see attendance fall in both venues. Even to new lows before the new ball parks were built.
The Yankees have few people from outside of New York that will spend the money they are charging for seats, parking, and refreshments.
The Mets don't have a team on the field worthy of watching.
Let's look at some attendance for these two teams leading up to this year.
In parenthesis is where each team ranked in MLB attendance for that year.
And yes, I know the economy has changed :)

Yankees:
2006- 52,392 (1)
2007- 52,729 (1)
2008- 53,069 (1)
2009- 45,364 (2)
2010- 46,491 (1)
2011- 45,107 (2)
2012- 43,733 (2)
2013- 39,087 (5)

Their prices have prohibited more and more folks from coming to watch. Their play on the field and injuries to key players have also not been beneficial to the bottom line.
Since opening their new ball park, attendance has shrunk by 14,000 customers a game. That is a lot of folks.

Mets:
2006- 43,327 (3)
2007- 47,579 (3)
2008- 51,165 (2)
2009- 38,941 (7)
2010- 32,401 (12)
2011- 30,108 (14)
2012- 28,035 (17)
2013- 26,673 (20)

Almost half the attendance now than in 2008.
The Mets problem isn't one of price. It is a problem of product. Most common baseball fans have never heard of a Mets player, besides David Wright. And for a New York team, that is unthinkable.
If wanting to see a ball game in the New York metro area, a fan has the option of paying the big bucks to see the Yankees, watch the Mets, or watch a high school, College, or minor league game. I'm guessing the third option wins a lot.

The Mets organization as long as under current ownership will always be suspect. They have not done much right over the years. Some say things are better now, but following the Omar Minaya era is child's play at best.

The Yankees may have more to fear. This Steinbrenner isn't like the old Steinbrenner. He pays attention to the luxury tax. He thinks about signing Robinson Cano. He drives the price down on Jeter. These all may be good for his bottom line. And maybe even smart. But to fans, it is a warning sign.
The elder Steinbrenner was a fan first, owner second. The current Steinbrenner is an owner first, a fan second.
And sometimes the elder Steinbrenner seemed to live under a lucky star....

A little story about that, then I'll get back on track....
I don't remember the year, but both Bernie Williams and Albert Belle were up for free agency. The Yankees, and George in particular wanted Belle more than Williams. They courted Belle and had him very close to signing. In the mean time, the Red Sox were courting Bernie Williams and were close to an agreement there.
But then, luck smiled on the Yankees. Belle did not like how the New York media was 'all over him' every time he came to town. Steinbrenner and Cashman informed him that that was part of the job in being a Yankee.
Belle got cold feet in fearing that his life would be an open book and signed with Baltimore.
The Yankees called Williams. Williams had never really wanted to leave the Yankees and signed for two million dollars less than what the Red Sox offered.
The Yankees were ready and able to make a mistake, and were saved by the mistake himself.

The Yankees are under a different star now. They , like the Mets, have an owner who has not been embraced by their fan base. Comparing these organizations on the field is apples and oranges. They have different methods in the accumulation of their players. The Mets are once again building. The Yankees buying, although they no longer go for the big ticket players.
Comparing ownerships is easier than the teams on the field.
Neither can be recognized as top owners.
On my tombstone-

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Dan,

I do agree about the Yankee situation but I still believe that they will spend (not like old regime) to win. I also believe that they have one of the best GM's in baseball and sometimes he can get things done with a little arm twisting. They may not spend like a drunken sailor but I do believe they will find payroll "flexibility" when they have to. Just my humble opinion.

JEagle

Post by JEagle » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm

The yankees attendance is down strictly because of ticket prices. They are way too much since the new stadium opened. No to mention they did not renew their deal with stubhub as most of the mlb teams did. This has really hurt them this year as a lot of fans(myself included) only buy tickets from stub hub because they are priced right. As much as I love the yankees they are filled straight with greed and do not care whatsoever about their fans. It's sad....
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

chest .rockwell

Post by chest .rockwell » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Danny boy you might get a kick out of this story. As you know I wanted to go to every stadium before I was 40. Well I am 41 and still have three to go Toronto (next month), Detroit, and Cleveland.

I have said the exact same thing at every ticket counter the first time I go to a stadium. Give me the best you have this may be the only time I see a game here. Well at Yankee stadium lets just say that lead to a moment of shock. It was I think like 2 grand for two seats. I responded back give me two good seats. I ended up half way up the first baseline mid closer to upper level than lower level. Unbelievable.... Funny thing is the spots where the seats they wanted to sell my were completely empty.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm

chest .rockwell wrote:Danny boy you might get a kick out of this story. As you know I wanted to go to every stadium before I was 40. Well I am 41 and still have three to go Toronto (next month), Detroit, and Cleveland.

I have said the exact same thing at every ticket counter the first time I go to a stadium. Give me the best you have this may be the only time I see a game here. Well at Yankee stadium lets just say that lead to a moment of shock. It was I think like 2 grand for two seats. I responded back give me two good seats. I ended up half way up the first baseline mid closer to upper level than lower level. Unbelievable.... Funny thing is the spots where the seats they wanted to sell my were completely empty.

Holy Cow!
What a great resolution for you, Kent! Every ball park by 42 is just as good.
Awesome.

$3,000-$5,000 to sit in back of home plate and watch every Hall of Famer play against each other in a game in their prime.
That would make me think.
Any team of today?
No.
On my tombstone-

Billyhaze

Post by Billyhaze » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Yanks should promote those seats as adopt a player seats, might help pay to keep Cano in NY

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Say what you want about the Mets, but Citi Field is a beautiful park and a great place to watch a ballgame. It sure beats Shea. I'd have no problem watching a game there again. Who the hell is inviting me? Heck, it's a great place for a fantasy draft as well. ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

chest .rockwell

Post by chest .rockwell » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Say what you want about the Mets, but Citi Field is a beautiful park and a great place to watch a ballgame. It sure beats Shea. I'd have no problem watching a game there again. Who the hell is inviting me? Heck, it's a great place for a fantasy draft as well. ;)

Could not agree more it is in my top 5 along with SF, Pitt, Fenway, and Wrigley. Let's make it 6 and say Camden Yards too. Did not think I would be all that impressed with it, but I really liked it.