SWEEP!!!!!

ALL-IN JD

SWEEP!!!!!

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:06 pm

In typical Mets fashion, after winning their World Series (against the Yankess) they get BROOMED by that powerhouse from Miami!!!! The Mets seem to be able to get up for the Yankees (and their significant others) but that's about where it ends!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BK METS

Re: SWEEP!!!!!

Post by BK METS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:In typical Mets fashion, after winning their World Series (against the Yankess) they get BROOMED by that powerhouse from Miami!!!! The Mets seem to be able to get up for the Yankees (and their significant others) but that's about where it ends!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are about as predictable as an Arod muscle strain... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:14 pm

No quicker than you made your way to the boards last Sunday night!!!! :D :D :D

And that was quicker than ANOTHER 90 + loss Met season!!! :D :D :D

On a brighter note, Ike is back!! :D :D

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Clicked on this topic and thought it was going to be about Arizona sweeping the Cubs :o :o :o :o :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

;)
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:No quicker than you made your way to the boards last Sunday night!!!! :D :D :D

And that was quicker than ANOTHER 90 + loss Met season!!! :D :D :D

On a brighter note, Ike is back!! :D :D
Typical Yankee fans... You would think all of those world championships and their 200 million payroll would get their fans interested in them, but they spend so much time worrying about the Mets, that they forget that their old, broken down team isn't in the playoffs as of now (thanks to a 4 game sweep by the METS, who SUCK!!) and the Mets are right where they are expected to be.

The Mets are building for the future. The Yankees are living in the past. A long summer in the Bronx with a lot of empty seats.. Oh wait, they have a lot of empty seats when they win, as well! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:44 pm

LOL!! Empty seats?????? You mean that ghost town i Flushing the Mets call home!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Building for the future???? Gotta love the typical delusional Met fan. I'm blinded by the brightness of a nucleus of Harvey, Wheeler.............Byrd, Cowgill, Tejada, Doody (Duda), Valdespin, Murphy, Legares (I could go on). I know if I was a Met fan (pains me to even type that) I would be giddy!! Let's not forget that sterling ownership that will get them to the promised land (promised land = .500 record)!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:LOL!! Empty seats?????? You mean that ghost town i Flushing the Mets call home!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Building for the future???? Gotta love the typical delusional Met fan. I'm blinded by the brightness of a nucleus of Harvey, Wheeler.............Byrd, Cowgill, Tejada, Doody (Duda), Valdespin, Murphy, Legares (I could go on). I know if I was a Met fan (pains me to even type that) I would be giddy!! Let's not forget that sterling ownership that will get them to the promised land (promised land = .500 record)!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cano and.................... nothing

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm

BK METS wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:LOL!! Empty seats?????? You mean that ghost town i Flushing the Mets call home!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cano and a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Over the next 5 years, the Yanks make the playoffs at least 4 times, the Mets maybe once... just the way it is...

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Outlaw wrote:
BK METS wrote:

Cano and a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Over the next 5 years, the Yanks make the playoffs at least 4 times, the Mets maybe once... just the way it is...
Let's not forget that Santana, Bay, & Francisco's salaries are off the books next season. Cano would look real good in blue and orange. He probably is resentful of how the Yankees have treated him in salary negotiations and would want to teach them a lesson by heading across town. I'm guessing he'd also like to hang out with teammates closer to his own age rather than a bunch of senior citizens. :P

Remember you heard it here first. :D

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:35 am

The Mets have some young stars/prospects, but they better bring in at least 2 big bats for next year. A power hitting OF and a first baseman that can hit at least .200....

As for the Yankees..this isn't 1999 anymore....Big George is gone and new ownership is more interested in the bottom line than in winning championships. They are still getting killed by the end years of the AROD contract. CC doesn't look the same, No Mo next year. They have some holes to fill.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:33 am

Cano and a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Over the next 5 years, the Yanks make the playoffs at least 4 times, the Mets maybe once... just the way it is...[/quote]

Let's not forget that Santana, Bay, & Francisco's salaries are off the books next season. Cano would look real good in blue and orange. He probably is resentful of how the Yankees have treated him in salary negotiations and would want to teach them a lesson by heading across town. I'm guessing he'd also like to hang out with teammates closer to his own age rather than a bunch of senior citizens. :P

Remember you heard it here first. :D[/quote

Now thats Funny, The Mets spending $180-200M for Cano... Maybe after they finish paying off Bonilla's salary they might be able to spend a few million.... look at the Mets Attendance, 3rd yr in row it is declining - not a good recipe for making money... In fairness, MLB attencdance is aslo declining and this year is down almost 3% and the trend is not MLB's friend. Keep escalating the ticket prices and this is what happens.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:52 am

Outlaw wrote:Now thats Funny, The Mets spending $180-200M for Cano... Maybe after they finish paying off Bonilla's salary they might be able to spend a few million.... look at the Mets Attendance, 3rd yr in row it is declining - not a good recipe for making money... In fairness, MLB attencdance is aslo declining and this year is down almost 3% and the trend is not MLB's friend. Keep escalating the ticket prices and this is what happens.
History tells us that when the Mets put up an exciting product, they're always near the top in attendance figures. When they don't, well....

They have a real chance to put an exciting product on the field next season. Harvey has already created a stir, Wheeler may add to that. With the young stud catcher coming up, if they can add a couple more nice bats next season, who knows.

I'm thinking Cano and Choo. :)

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 am

Glenneration X wrote: I'm thinking Cano and Choo. :)

Now thats some real fantasy thinking... that would cost what - 320M?

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:30 am

i think Mets fans are deluding themselves into thinking d'Arnaud is a saviour and that Wheeler, etc will become stars.
add into that that the Braves and Nats themselves have younger, more proven talent already contributing on the major league level, and it may be a long wait for the Mets and their fans.
anything can happen, and will, but there are already two younger, better teams for them to climb over, and a wild card in the Phillies who will break the bank once their TV contract is signed.
enjoy Harvey though, stud for sure.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree, Bryan.
When hearing Mets fans today, I think of the Royals fans of yesterday. Wheeler and D'Arnoud have really done little to distinguish themselves this year. D'Arnaud has gotten hurt. Bad enough that this year will most likely be a lost year for him.
It's funny, when hurt at the minor league level, we give players a pass, thinking it more flukish that at the higher level.
But, it could be a sign of things to come.
Wheeler has been ok this year and he has a little injury bugaboo too.

Baseball America builds these kids into future superstars before they're done with AA. Fans have every right to be excited. At the same time, remember all the high bids on Fernandez, and Cingrani, and Gausman, and Wacha. In effect, we play the part of Baseball America with those bids, while playing the fans after they're rostered.
Fans only think about how good Wheeler will be. They don't see him struggling like most young pitchers do. They build him up, and then after they see that he is not the next Sandy Koufax, they'll defend him and say, 'he's only a kid'. When they should have been thinking that from the get-go.

There are posts that say the Mets have an advantage over the Yankees during the coming seasons because of their prospects and the Yankees age.
Possibly, but kids like Wheeler and D'Arnaud would not only have to play well, they would have to excel. The Mets have two, maybe three offensive players that may play for other teams right now. David Wright would play for all teams. Daniel Murphy would play for some. So may Lucas Duda.THAT is a lot of holes to fill. More than the kids on the farm.
Wheeler can't fix that and neither can D'Arnaud.

The Yankees use their farm system as a bonus. If a pitcher like Phelps or Nova or Joba or Robertson can help them, they'll look at that as a bonus.
If an offensive player like Nunez, Adams, Romine can help them, they'll look at it as a bonus.
It's not their bread and butter.
Their bread and butter is free agents. Even being partially paralyzed with huge contracts for players not earning them, they are still free to sign middling free agents like Ichiro, Youkilis, and Kuroda to get them through tough times.
The Mets organization can't/won't do this to help their ball club. They'll rely on dollar store guys like Byrd, etc to make their team a little more palletable for their fans appetite.

It's amusing watching the spats between Mets and Yankees fans. The Mets fans take hope in the youngsters that will soon arrive. While Yankee fans know that if they need a piece or two, they'll trade a youngster, throw in a little cash, and make their team younger with the addition of a 36 year old veteran.
It all works. And both sides think their team is doing the right thing because they are fans of those teams.

Now that I've written all that crap, I have a hypodermic question for y'all.
Let's say that Jacoby Ellsbury ends this year with a line like this:
.300/105/15/80/40
Real good numbers, but nowhere near his best year.
Still, numbers that reflect well for free agency.
During the off season, he signs a seven year deal with the Yankees.
Here's the question-
With that short right field fence and maybe a little drive to show the Red Sox that he was treated like Alfredo Aceves, during his stay, does Jacoby Ellsbury become a top five pick?
Top 10?
Where would he be on your lists?

I ask this question because of the differences I see as a non-fan of either the Yankees or Mets.
I see Ellsbury possibly flourishing with the Yankees. If signed by the Mets, I don't.
Simple as that.
I don't know if it's the park, the lineup, the league, the organization...I really don't know.
But, in the question posed above, Ellsbury becomes a top 10 consideration for me with the Yankees.
With the Mets, I see Jason Bay coming to the Mets and wouldn't touch him.
Somebody else will have to tell me why. I really don't know myself.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:04 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I agree, Bryan.
When hearing Mets fans today, I think of the Royals fans of yesterday. Wheeler and D'Arnoud have really done little to distinguish themselves this year. D'Arnaud has gotten hurt. Bad enough that this year will most likely be a lost year for him.
It's funny, when hurt at the minor league level, we give players a pass, thinking it more flukish that at the higher level.

Baseball America builds these kids into future superstars before they're done with AA. Fans have every right to be excited. At the same time, remember all the high bids on Fernandez, and Cingrani, and Gausman, and Wacha. In effect, we play the part of Baseball America with those bids, while playing the fans after they're rostered.
Fans only think about how good Wheeler will be. They don't see him struggling like most young pitchers do. They build him up, and then after they see that he is not the next Sandy Koufax, they'll defend him and say, 'he's only a kid'. When they should have been thinking that from the get-go.

There are posts that say the Mets have an advantage over the Yankees during the coming seasons because of their prospects and the Yankees age.
Possibly, but kids like Wheeler and D'Arnaud would not only have to play well, they would have to excel. The Mets have two, maybe three offensive players that may play for other teams right now. David Wright would play for all teams. Daniel Murphy would play for some. So may Lucas Duda.THAT is a lot of holes to fill. More than the kids on the farm.

The Yankees use their farm system as a bonus. If a pitcher like Phelps or Nova or Joba or Robertson can help them, they'll look at that as a bonus.
If an offensive player like Nunez, Adams, Romine can help them, they'll look at it as a bonus.
Their bread and butter is free agents. Even being partially paralyzed with huge contracts for players not earning them, they are still free to sign middling free agents like Ichiro, Youkilis, and Kuroda to get them through tough times.
The Mets organization can't/won't do this to help their ball club. They'll rely on dollar store guys like Byrd, etc to make their team a little more palletable for their fans appetite.

It's amusing watching the spats between Mets and Yankees fans. The Mets fans take hope in the youngsters that will soon arrive. While Yankee fans know that if they need a piece or two, they'll trade a youngster, throw in a little cash, and make their team younger with the addition of a 36 year old veteran.
It all works. And both sides think their team is doing the right thing because they are fans of those teams.

.300/105/15/80/40
Here's the question-
With that short right field fence and maybe a little drive to show the Red Sox that he was treated like Alfredo Aceves, during his stay, does Jacoby Ellsbury become a top five pick?
Top 10?

I ask this question because of the differences I see as a non-fan of either the Yankees or Mets.
I see Ellsbury possibly flourishing with the Yankees. If signed by the Mets, I don't.
Simple as that.
I don't know if it's the park, the lineup, the league, the organization...I really don't know.
But, in the question posed above, Ellsbury becomes a top 10 consideration for me with the Yankees.

you got a way with words Dough, spot on....

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I agree, Bryan.

.300/105/15/80/40
Here's the question-
Top 10?

Simple as that.
The Mets will build their team from their pitching. Not just Wheeler, the Mets have a load of young pitchers throughout the minors, who are some of the top pitching prospects in baseball... The position players will arrive via free agency. The GM has already said that 40-50 million is a realistic number that the Mets will spend over the off-season and prior to the 2014 season. But, the predominant part of the Mets success will occur, as long as they can bring up 1 or 2 arms, to add to Harvey as a #1 and Niese as a #3 or #4. I believe Parnell will be a top closer as well. He has had a very good season and has the stuff to be consistent.

The Mets will sign, at minimum, 2 good outfielders, during the offseason, maybe a defensive shortstop with a little more pop than Tejada. With that, plus their young pitching, they can compete next year.

As far as the Yankees, they continue to miss the boat as far as how they should RE-build their team. The Yankees huge success in the late 90s and early 00s were NOT from signing big free agents. In fact, they had no big time hitters, in that era. Jeter/Posada/Bernie/ONeill/Tino/Brosius/Pettitte/Mariano... these guys were the core of one of the best 4-5 year runs in MLB history and none of them were considered superstars, at the time. The core, Jeter/Posada/Bernie/Mariano/Pettitte were homegrown. Other than 2009, when most of their core was still together, the Yankees have been basically a first or second round playoff team, having the largest payroll in baseball. Their payroll in 1997-2001 was pretty much the same as the other top teams in the league. Since then, their payroll has been 20-50% higher than the rest of the league. What does that say for spending a ton of money on free agents and trading young talent for top stars? It is not the way to build nearly an entire team. The Yankees themselves have proved that, along with many other teams, such as both LA teams. When is the last time the Yankees have brought up a good young starting pitcher from their farm system? Pettitte?

Maybe the Mets don't compete next year, but I like direction they are moving.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 pm

I guess I don't get putting down the Yankees for playing the free agent game. They know what they are getting. The players they go after are veterans that have done well with other teams.
Royals fans were expecting pennants as soon as 2011. Now, they're just plain pissed.
Counting on kids is tough. Especially young arms. Not one Royals kid came up and made a difference for them as a Starter.
And Duffy, Lamb, and Montgomery were as highly touted as your Mets youngsters.
They get hurt, under perform, or whatever. It happens.
The Yankees play the free agent game. They're not as good at it with new ownership, that is a given, but mistakes about money can be covered with, you guessed it, more money.

Alan, you believe in your team. All fans do.
I don't believe that Mets management will put that much money into their team without a transfer of ownership.
And also believe they just have too many holes to fill and will not be contenders by the time Wheeler and Harvey start thinking about free agency and greener pastures.
Yes, possibly the Yankees.
On my tombstone-

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Alan,

You paying attention and listening to Mr. Kenyon??? :D :D :D

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Harvey will look good in Bronx pinstripes in 5 years...

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:21 pm

I was just stating historical fact. Dan has a right to his opinion, which is normally dead on, but in this case, is flawed. There is nothing wrong with signing free agents and trading for top players, but teams win world series by doing a combination and somehow the Yankees seem to think that money can buy them a world series but the fact is, it never has. Even the 2009 yanks had 6 homegrown starters. They need to rebuild the right way, but they wont. And it will prove to be a long term failure. As the Yankees attendance decreases for a 4th straight year, and way down this year from last, the fans will continue to be bored and frustrated with the overpriced, over the hill stars they continue to spend over 200 million on. Unlike what has been said previously, MLB attendance has actually gone up over the past 3 years. Yet the Yankees can't sell out a game. I never said that everything the Mets do is brilliant. All I said was I like what they are doing and the future is bright. As their GM says, with over 50 million coming off of the payroll, they will spend next off-season and combined with the young pitching talent, they will have a chance to compete and that's all that a fan can ask for. If you are telling me the future of the Yankees is signing overpriced superstars, then so be it. Maybe they will do what's never been done and win with 90% of starters from other teams. And as Glen suggested, Cano would look pretty good in orange and blue, especially after the Yankees insulting offers. At least George spent money wisely and paid his homegrown stars.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 pm

You're just too much of a fan, Alan. You'll never admit to the problems.
There's nothing wrong with that, I deal with it all the time with local Rockies fans.
Carry on :D
On my tombstone-

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:You're just too much of a fan, Alan. You'll never admit to the problems.
There's nothing wrong with that, I deal with it all the time with local Rockies fans.
Carry on :D
Dan, if you have seen my posts over the past 5 years, you would see that I am one fan that kills the Mets on a regular basis. I even re-named my screen name to "BK" Mets for the hopeful bankruptcy of the franchise, so new owners would come in and change the thinking. But, since, they have begun to rebuild. I think I am as objective as a fan can be, but pretty much everyone in baseball, from scouts to GM's, have touted the Mets for the smart decisions they have made over the past few years, from the trade of Beltran for Wheeler, to the trade of Dickey, for D'Arnaud and Syndergaard, to the signing of Wright. There is a short term plan and a long term plan happening with this franchise and although the short term plan brings in guys like Marlon Byrd and Rick Ankiel, the long term plan has been to build up the farm system with a bunch of power arms, with hopefully a few turning out to be good and I think they are well on their way there.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 pm

weren't you proclaiming dickey to be a 1st rounder, even #1 overall pick BK? :mrgreen:

your fandom is clouding your judgement. your judging the mets and their future performance in a vacuum. talent wise, now and future, they are behind 3 teams in their own division. unless syndegaard and d''arnaud and wheeler and montero, etc do turn out to be as good as mets fans believe, they are in for a long run of seasons sans postseason

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:47 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:weren't you proclaiming dickey to be a 1st rounder, even #1 overall pick BK? :mrgreen:
No, that would have been Toxic Assets.. I praised his great season, as everyone else did, but I was happy with the trade, and stated so when it happened.