Draft

nnoy

Draft

Post by nnoy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:05 pm

To call it brutal would be an understatement.

Goggles Pisano

Draft

Post by Goggles Pisano » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:47 pm

That was so much fun and the event was run to perfection. Better watch out guys I have a pretty good team :>

kgrady

Draft

Post by kgrady » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:39 pm

Was in the draft in NYC ... lots of fun. I was surprised at how swiftly the draft moved. We were done in just a shade over 4 hours. That includes 25 minutes worth of break time. It certainly helps to be organized and prepared.

My only criticism of the draft is that with all four leagues taking place in the same conference room, it was sometimes difficult to hear the names being drafted. Also, the draft board was a little hard to see if you were furthest away from it.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

Cellar Dwellers

Draft

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:30 pm

It didn't seem to hurt you though Kevin, you drafted an excellent team. I really wanted B.Giles, Berkman, and Rolen. Although some people think you took Rolen too early, I think it was a great pick at a weak position. I agree on the noise from the other leagues calling out players. It screwed me up twice, I crossed out D. Ortiz on my list cause I heard his name from the other draft and then drafted Kevin Millar, who I had slightly behind Ortiz. Also happened with Joe Randa who I crossed out when he wasn't really taken in our league. Oh well, overall a great time though.

Hoosier Hick

Draft

Post by Hoosier Hick » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:41 pm

I thought our league was very solid as a whole. Not a lot of suprises throughout the draft.

Chicago League 1 results for first two rounds:

Round 1

AROD

Soriano

Beltran

Pujols

Helton

Vlad

Prior

Tejada

Pedro

Manny

Nomar

Delgado

Schilling

Bonds

Wood

Round 2

Vasquez

Maggs

Sosa

Halladay

Rolen

Mussina

Ichiro

Renteria

Boone

Hudson

Sheffield

Chavez

Gagne

Sexson

R Johnson

I would be interested to see other leagues 1st and 2nd round results.

[ March 20, 2004, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Hoosier Hick ]
"People ask me what I do in the winter. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby

Return of the Aces

Draft

Post by Return of the Aces » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:49 pm

The draft was a blast. Really enjoyed it from start until finish. Here is how it went down in NY--League 4 in the first 2 rounds:

Round 1

Arod

Soriano

Pujols

Beltran

Helton

Guerrero

Boone

Prior--My pick

Tejada

P. Martinez

Sheffield

Bonds

Garciaparra

Ramirez

Schilling

Round 2

Delgado

Wood

Giambi

Renteria

Ichiro

Jeter

Ordonez

Chavez--my second pick

Gagne

Halladay

Kent

Thome

Sexson

Randy Johnson

Sosa

Hoosier Hick

Draft

Post by Hoosier Hick » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:01 pm

Wow boone went very high. A lot of similarities though. Man I feel fortunate to have gotten sheffield with the 26th overall pick.
"People ask me what I do in the winter. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby

RotoXpert

Draft

Post by RotoXpert » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:08 pm

I was pick 5 in league 13, and my first 3 picks were Beltran, Jeter, Gagne. Can't believe Gagne was there at 35.

Draft

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:37 pm

NYC League #1

1)ARod/Vazquez/Mussina/Piazza/Zito/Millwood

2)Soriano/Chavez/Gagne/AJones/Santana/Winn

3)Beltran/Rolen/Berkman/ABerroa/Huff/LCastillo

4)Pujols/Giambi/BGiles/MRivera/Smoltz/SGreen

5)Helton/Sosa/Furcal/Oswalt/KBrown/Sweeney

6)Vlad/Abreu/Sexson/CLee/Dotel/Contreras

7)Prior/Thome/Ichiro/Foulke/IRodriguez/Reyes

8)Tejada/Halladay/Kent/BWagner/GAnderson/Colon

9)Wood/Jeter/OCabrera/Blalock/ARamirez/Guardado

10)Sheffield/MOrdonez/Bagwell/CJones/LGonzalez/Floyd

11)Delgado/VWells/Pierre/Schmidt/Lowell/Webb

12)MRamirez/BBoone/PWilson/THudson/Morris/Thomas

13)PMartinez/Renteria/MGiles/DLee/Mulder/KMatsui

14)Garciaparra/Bonds/JLopez/Beckett/Vidro/Percival

15)Schilling/RJohnson/Posada/Crawford/MCabrera/MYoung

Curious to hear your opinions on this draft. I thought there were a lot of questionable picks...

Any especially strong or weak teams jump out at you?

Cellar Dwellers

Draft

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:23 pm

Is that correct? Team 10 was closed out on OF after just 6 rounds??? Some strange looking stuff in those first 6 rounds of that draft. Which team is your's?

nnoy

Draft

Post by nnoy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:38 pm

We honestly had 4-5 owners that I would classify as “weak” at best. My first five picks were: A-Rod, Sosa, Sexson, M. Rivera, and Giambi. Also D. Roberts fell to me in the 17th and Edmonds in the 13th. There was another “expert” in my league that greatly benefited from what would be considered these “strange” picks at best. Injuries and the like will ultimately decide this thing, but having 4 guys that were gone by the beginning of round 3 in most the other leagues is a nice advantage to start with.

[ March 21, 2004, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: nnoy ]

Cellar Dwellers

Draft

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:45 pm

Who were the 4 players that the other "expert" got that were mostly gone by the 2nd round in the other drafts. I take it you drafted in Chicago, correct?

nnoy

Draft

Post by nnoy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:48 pm

1 A-rod

2 Sosa

3 Sexson

4 Rivera

5 Giambi

6 A. Sanchez (my worst pick of the day but the next to last source of steals left on the board)

7. M Morris

8. Maddux

9. Benetiz

10. Chacon

11. Edmonds

12. Wilkerson

13. CC

14. R Ortiz

15. Erstad (another reach after seeing where he went in other leagues)

16. K. Escobar

17. B. Roberts

18. D. Wells

19. Randa

20. Grud

21. T. Walker

22. Pokey

23. G. Meche

24. Z. Day

25. DeJean

26. V. Zambrano

27. Lidle

28. J. Bard

29. T. Greene (clearly another weakness with the two drudge C’s)

Please post your teams as well

Chicago League #2, Pick #1

[ March 21, 2004, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: nnoy ]

nnoy

Draft

Post by nnoy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Pedro went #3, so he got Pujols in the 1st then Gagne in the 2nd. He also got Berkman in the 5th, Moose in the 3rd, and B Giles in the 4th.

[ March 21, 2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: nnoy ]

nnoy

Draft

Post by nnoy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:05 pm

1. A-Rod, Soriano, Pedro, Pujols, Beltran, Vlad, Prior, Helton, Dlegado, Manny, B. Boone, Schilling, Tejada, Renteria, Nomar

2. Bonds, Ordonez, Unit, Wood, Jeter, Chavez, Thome, Hudson, Halladay, Vazquez, Wilson, Gagne, Sheffield, Rolen, Sosa

3. Sexson, Kent, J Lopez, Moose, Oswalt, Cabrera, Pudge, Ichiro, Pierre, Posada, M Giles, Schmidt, V. Wells, Piazza, Furcal

4. C Crawford, D. Lee, Abreu, Beckett, K. Matsui, Huff, Wagner, Bagwell, Smoltz, Zito, B. Giles, Foulke, C. Lee, Rivera

5. Giambi, Reyes, K. Brown, Berkman, Hank, A. Jones, Lowell, Mulder, Baldelli, Castillo, D Ortiz, M. Cabrera, Vidro, Dotel, Colon

6. G. Anderson, Santana, C. Jones, Thomas, Ensberg, Damon, Podsednik, M. Young, Percival, Sweeny, Millwood, S. Green, L. Gonzalez, Contreras, A. Sanchez

7. Morris, A. Rameriz, Eddie G, Tex, Nevin, Glaus, Webb, Hinske, Kearnes, Patterson, Hildago, Isi, Fullmer, Hoffman

Cellar Dwellers

Draft

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:20 pm

Originally posted by nnoy:

Pedro went #3, so got Pujols in the 1st then Gagne in the 2nd. He also got Berkman in the 5th, Moose in the 3rd, and B Giles in the 4th. Yeah, you ain't kidding, that is scary that he was able to get all those guys. That's pretty power packed.

Cellar Dwellers

Draft

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:33 pm

nnoy-Looks like you've got a solid team as well. I especially like getting Randa in the 19th and Lidle in the 27th. Not sure if I'm too crazy about Chacon in the 10th, but I know some of the leagues had closers going real early, my league included. I don't have the round by round of my league, otherwise I'd post it for you. I can tell you though that my first four rounds picking out of the 15th hole were, Nomar, Magglio, T. Hudson, Orlando Cabrera.

viper

Draft

Post by viper » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:50 am

I don't have the draft lists for the NY#4 league and will have to wait until they are entered. My impressions during the draft were that saves did not go exceptionally early but that there were a number of slight (or more) reaches for steals. That was the premium category in our league for sure. No team started off pitcher/pitcher and no team tried a "closer" strategy. One of the other NY leagues had 3 teams start SP/SP. From the #14 hole, my team's first 4 picks were Manny, Wood, Rivera and Brian Giles.

Our draft facilitator was exceptional. The pace was maintained and he knows his players as did his assistant. This was the same guy who did the NY auction the night before. My hat is off to him.

I was impressed with the entire NY staff - not that my comments will result in pay raises but the were 1st class. If they are indicitative of the entire NFBC, then this will be very successful event in years to come.

nnoy

Draft

Post by nnoy » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:01 am

Originally posted by Cellar Dwellers:

nnoy-Looks like you've got a solid team as well. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but we ALL like our own teams at this point, and we ALL should think we can at least pull off our own leagues. By the time I took Chacon in the 10th it looked like I had no other option if I wanted to keep my 3-closer strategy. I spent about 80 hours preparing for this thing. I followed countless “expert” drafts and ran 100’s of draft simulations. I felt I had a pretty good idea going in what the “public” picks should be and I slotted the guys I REALLY wanted accordingly. All I can say about how it turned out is that the preparation paid off.

I’m happy with 23 of my 27 picks (Erstad, Sanchez and my two drudge C’s the exception.) But I knew going in I would wait on SP’s and take my C’s at the end. Having the discipline to stick with the strategy was the hardest thing to do. Seeing ALL the speed go off the board then still taking Giambi in the 5th had to be countered by taking A Sanchez about three rounds too early. Then taking Edmonds with a couple quasi-closers left on the board about killed me, but it was a necessary evil to maintain enough balance to have a team in a good position to make a run. It will be a VERY long 27 weeks that’s for sure, and I’m thrilled that unlike leagues where the shrewd traders have all the advantage, the advantage here lies with our drafts, lineup management, and the free agent wire.

King of Queens

Draft

Post by King of Queens » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:25 am

I drafted in NYC League #1, and was absolutely stunned that Pedro lasted until my 13th pick. Like Nathan, I feel I probably reached on some guys, but overall my team is pretty solid:

1)Pedro

2)Renteria

3)M.Giles

4)D.Lee

5)Mulder

6)K.Matsui

7)Glaus

8)Rhodes

9)Burrell

10)Dunn

11)D.Young

12)Durazo

13)Kolb

14)Cruz Jr

15)K.Wells

16)J.Bay

17)J.Thomson

18)C.Johnson

19)B.Molina

20)Weaver

21)Ol.Perez

22)Rodney

23)Blake

24)Williamson

25)Donnelly

26)Herges

27)Ayala

28)A.Gonzalez (CHC)

29)Grieve

Here's how I look at it. I shored up my middle infield with 3 of my top 6 picks. I could be totally wrong on this, but I feel the chances of my 2nd and 3rd tier OFs (Dunn, Burrell, D.Young, etc.) having as good a year as the 1st tier OFs is MUCH better than the Polancos and Cintrons of the world equalling the production of Giles and Matsui. Also, closers went very quickly in this league--was shocked that guys like Herges and Ayala were available until the end.

Would appreciate any thoughts you have...

Glenn

Hoosier Hick

Draft

Post by Hoosier Hick » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:22 am

That is about as far as I've seen D. Lee fall. Very nice 4th rounder.

scooter2022

Draft

Post by scooter2022 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:48 am

I was in league #2 in NY . We had the 14th pick with that said This is my team . I dont have it in the draft order this is just our whole team.

C)Varitek

C)LeCory

1b)M.Sweeny

2b)KENT

3b)A.Remirez

SS)furcal

CI)Wes Helms

MI)vizquel

of)B.Williams

of)J.Encarnacion

of)J.Gerut

of)S.Stewart

of)R.White

U)Reed Johnson

P)schilling

P)Pedro

P)Mulder

P)Ponson

P)Pavano

P)nathan

P)Percival

P)R.Wagner

P)B.Lidge

RES

E.munson

ainworth

beck

fliez

tomko

two other spots to fill in dont have them so i guess they were not that good of picks .

Over all very happy with our team to pick # 14 and end up with schiiling then perdo in the first 2 rounds. wow then add mulder in the 4th that was pretty dam good .

Well good luck to eveyone.

vulture 1

Draft

Post by vulture 1 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:02 am

What a great event. The draft board was a little hard to see. One guy suggested projection on the wall from a laptop. I think its a great idea, plus you can download the draft right to the website.

We were in Chicago league 1 pick#15. Our stratergy was to go for starters and place well in 4 catergories in pitching. The we thought outfield was deep. Our 1st 8 picks are:

Wood, Vasquez, D. Lee, B Abreu, M. Morris, Contreras, T. Hunter, F. Thomas. Can not remember the rest of the order because we wrote by position as follows:

c-Johnson, Laird, G. Quirnoz

2b-Polanco, B Roberts, Reese

3b- Muellar

ss-Guzman

of-Hidalgo, Encarncion, Cruz r., Mench, Rowand

Sp Dubose, Bensen

RP chacon,Hawkins, Herges, German, C.Codero,Spier

Light on closers

rotatorcff

Draft

Post by rotatorcff » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:14 am

I was in Chicago #2--Pick 2. The goal was to focus early on position and category scarcity. I was pleased Soriano fell to the 2nd pick, I know I'm in the minority but he would have been my 1st selection. The plan was to wait on OF and P, especially RP as I thought I's be able to get some middle tier closers in the teens.

Like a lot of other drafts, the closers went earlier than anticipated so the strategy had to be adjusted a little. Here's the team, I don't have the exact picks but where I remember the round, I have it listed (some in the teens may be 1 off):

1B S. Spiezio (19)

2B Soriano (1), Kent (3)

SS J. Reyes (5), Clayton (Res)

3B Rolen (2), A. Ramirez (7), Alfonzo (17)

OF C. Lee (4), Winn (8), Alou (11), Dmitri (15), Catalanotto (20), Mench (Res), Guiel (Res)

C C. Johnson (12), Moeller (22)

SP Contreras (6), Clement (14), Penny (16), Affeldt (18), Eaton (21), Jo. Acevedo (23), W. Alvarez, Arroyo and Carpenter (all 3 in Res)

RP Riske (9), Kolb (10), MacDougal (13)

Overall I'm pleased. This team has very good overall balance on O.

I like the IF. Getting Kent in the 3rd really put a stranglehold on the 2B position with 2 of the top 3 on my roster. I believe Boone and M. Giles are on the same team as well leaving the other 13 teams in a scarcity bind at that position. Reyes might have been a bit of a reach at 5, but the dropoff at SS was pretty severe after Jose. Getting A. Ramirez in the 7th and Alfonzo and Spiezio late tied up 3B to an extent as well. 1B was one of those positions where guys kept getting drafted right ahead of me (Wilkerson, N. Johnson, Klesko, Millar), so I kept pushing it down. With the quality I was able to obtain at the more scarce positions, I can live with Spiezio in that spot.

The OF doesn't have any stars, but is a group of solid, steady contributors with a couple decent guys on reserve for the inevitable Alou injury. I wound up drafting OF a little earlier than expected as there were just too many values to pass on, and many of my targeted SP were still on the board.

Since SP was not a priority, I was pleased with what I wound up getting. These were all guys on my target list. Now we'll just have to see how they perform ... but this is a high upside staff. If the pitching comes through, this can be a VERY good team. If not, it could be a long season.

The RP are a little shaky but I do have 3 guys who are in the closer role. I had to go a little earlier than anticipated and did not leave with the quality I had hoped. But I do like Riske and Kolb will be all right if healthy.

TBill

Draft

Post by TBill » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:21 am

I was in LV#4. In looking at the various boards afterward it seemed like Boone and Crawford were going early and in my league catchers and relief pitchers went fast. I may be UNintentionally tanking saves. Our facilatator was excellent and all our players were extremely well prepared. Our league got to every break much earlier than the other leagues.