NFBC Rules Changes For 2014

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Rules Changes For 2014

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:35 pm

While all of you are finalizing your rosters for the final week of the NFBC season, we are behind the scenes getting everything ready for the 2014 NFBC season. Yes, our 10th anniversary season is coming to a close, but we are already looking forward to our 11th NFBC season.

Through the years, all of you have helped us tweak our rules to where I think we have a very solid game. Our eligibility requirements are very solid, our minimum Innings Pitched was increased to 1,000 this past season in most events and seemed to really help. Other rules have been tweaked slightly to make the game better.

For 2014, I really don't see a lot of rules changes that need to be made. I know there were a lot of injuries this year and that makes the game tough, but we aren't going to change the 20 games played eligibility requirement or the in-season games total less than 10 games for a new position. We are, however, currently looking into the possibility of a Friday pitcher's change for any pitchers who have not pitched yet as of Friday morning. Our goal with Friday changes has always been to help owners who have had early week or mid-week injuries to players and that's why years ago we allowed DL pitchers to be removed for the weekend games. Unfortunately, that opened up loopholes that we hadn't planned for, plus the DL designation by teams was tough to comprehend. We are looking into a better solution, which would deal with pitchers who haven't pitched yet Monday through Thursday. I'll let you know if that's feasible for 2014 or not because we just started talking this through with the programmers. But that is the one rule change that could be tweaked if we feel it can be understood easily and implemented perfectly.

My plan is to keep minimum Innings Pitched again at 1,000 for all events outside of the Diamond League, which will be 1,200 in 2014 since we pay 4 spots in that contest. We can talk about changing the Diamond League payout for 1 of the leagues if owners would like and we will also tweak some of the prize payouts/entry fees for at least one national contest next year. But outside of that, I expect few changes in 2014.

Am I missing anything here? Feel free to post your suggestions here if I'm missing anything because our goal is to launch the new season after the World Series and start drafting shortly after that. To do that, we need to have rules locked and loaded for 2014, so speak now or forever hold your peace!! Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: NFBC Rules Changes For 2014

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm

After further review, Tom and I are looking at one other rules change involving minor-league callups. Through our first 10 years of the NFBC, if a minor-leaguer was called up to the majors for a spot start, let's say, and then sent back down to the minors that same week he wasn't eligible to be picked up via FAAB. Tom and I agree that going forward it would make sense to just allow players to be picked up via FAAB once they reach the majors and keep them in NFBC free agent pools even if they go back down to the minors. The key is allowing everyone a first shot at these prospects when they get called up and that will still happen even if we make this slight change to the rules. Again, we are exploring this possible change thanks to the suggestions of our users on another thread earlier this season. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Post by Bama » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:00 pm

I would hope that we're not really considering Fri pitchers changes. Any form of strreaming pitchers is not something that i would want and wouild really change the dynamics of the contest.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Bama wrote:I would hope that we're not really considering Fri pitchers changes. Any form of strreaming pitchers is not something that i would want and wouild really change the dynamics of the contest.
There will be no streaming pitchers rules changes in the NFBC CHAMP.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm

The one change I've been thinking about for some time involves this week of play. I was going to wait until the end of the year, but seeing how you've asked. There are so many pitching rotation changes and minor leaguers getting playing time this week that the element of luck truly creeps into the equation. Why not be like football and close up shop one week early?

This is not something that you'd have to decide in time to implement for the DC leagues as those can run the course seeing as there are no roster changes. The "Hail Mary" that inevitable comes for all of us can simply be done in week 26 when there are reasonable roster and rotation expectations.

I'm sure this has been debated and thought through in the past, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I am also against any change to the current pitching rules.
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Another rules change that we are working on involves locking down your starting lineup in 2014. In football, we allow you to lock down your starting lineup at different times, 5 minutes before the start of any players' game for that weekend. That means you don't have to lock them down until Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening or even 5 minutes before the Monday Night Game.

For NFBC 2014, we'll likely implement this flexibility as well, although we're still working on it. Not every MLB team plays on Monday night and allowing this same flexibility in baseball for players who first play on Tuesday makes sense. Again, we're still working on this, but it's something we currently have for football and basketball (new in 2013-14) and it's something that I'm very confident will be available for the NFBC in 2014. I think it's a change that will be kind to NFBC owners.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Post by Bama » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:21 pm

After Re-reading yourpost we're considering an idea worst than that of streaming pitchers by allowing some teams to be able to change out pitchers while others cannot. Totally unfair and oh the manipulation that could occur with this.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:36 pm

Bama wrote:After Re-reading yourpost we're considering an idea worst than that of streaming pitchers by allowing some teams to be able to change out pitchers while others cannot. Totally unfair and oh the manipulation that could occur with this.
I'm all ears Kenny: Show me how you manipulate a pitcher's spot that has had 0 IP Monday through Thursday. How is that different from our current hitter's rule? And even with our current hitter's Friday rule, some owners can swap out more hitters than others. I love the discussions on all of this, so let it begin.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Happenstance

Post by Happenstance » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Can you please clarify: I understand that under the proposed rule, if a pitcher hasn't pitched as of Friday, you would be able to move him from your active roster to your bench and replace him with another pitcher. However, would it also be required that the newly activated pitcher also not have pitched so far that week?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Happenstance wrote:Can you please clarify: I understand that under the proposed rule, if a pitcher hasn't pitched as of Friday, you would be able to move him from your active roster to your bench and replace him with another pitcher. However, would it also be required that the newly activated pitcher also not have pitched so far that week?
No, of course not. You could replace a pitcher who hasn't pitched yet as of Friday morning with any pitcher you have on your reserve squad. The trick to this, however, is that no pitching moves could be made before Friday morning, whereas hitting moves can be done at any time during the week. We're looking for good and bad on this possible change before finalizing anything for 2014.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

joshguy

Post by joshguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Can we add 5 rounds to the draft champion leagues? I know by rd 50 most people just want it to be over but checking all my leagues, there are still a lot of viable hitters and pitchers left. Plus, I would guess that I am averaging 10-15 guys on my bench who are on the DL right now.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Greg, I like all of the possible changes you discussed. In particular, I like the pitcher rule - no reason to be locked into a guy on Monday morning if he doesn't pitch until the weekend. We all need to check our lineup for Friday hitter changes anyway.

Money

Post by Money » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:55 pm

OK, I'm going to take the opposing point of view on the pitching rule change. I will try to be brief but thorough at the same time.

The proposed pitching change means MORE time invested into strategy, faab and software nuances. For many this will equal less teams, including me. I will probably spend the same money, just play fewer teams. I surely will only commit to the time it takes to properly run the amount of teams I sign up for.

I will figure it out (the new rule) because I have the time. The new player will not, even though they may think they are. You do not want to make the talent gap larger within your (the NFBC) player pool.

The new player coming to the NFBC is already at a decided disadvantage. This will continue to lengthen the gap between those that are good enough to compete and those who aren't quite there yet. As a game operator I feel you need to keep everyone in the game as long as possible. I was a player that was on the brink of leaving a couple of years ago, the 12 team format and it's rules allowed me stay and learn. This rule will only separate them (the veterans) from the pact and discourage them from getting better after an unsuccessful season or two.

These moves cannot be made until Friday? Is that EST, PST, MST or CST? I'd like to see how the timing would be fair. Right now folks can change hitters prior to Friday, you're going to commit them to a computer Friday morning? This does not work and will create havoc, not for me but many others.

The strategy debate and to properly apply it to the game and faab is another conversation. To do it right is time and labor intensive, period.

More Time = less players in the NFBC in the long run. If you want to simply be a niche game I say go for it. If you want to grow, keep it as it is.
Joe

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:58 pm

1. I like the idea of adding another 5 rounds to DC leagues
2. I like the idea of minor leaguers staying in FAAB pool even if demoted after their initial callup
3. I like the idea of removing pitcher from lineup if they haven't pitched as of friday morning
4. in today's afternoon game, if i had placed Matt Joyce in my Util spot, but then wanted to put him at OF after the TB game began, I'd be out of luck. Any chance of allowing that flexibility?

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Gekko wrote:1. I like the idea of adding another 5 rounds to DC leagues
2. I like the idea of minor leaguers staying in FAAB pool even if demoted after their initial callup
3. I like the idea of removing pitcher from lineup if they haven't pitched as of friday morning
4. in today's afternoon game, if i had placed Matt Joyce in my Util spot, but then wanted to put him at OF after the TB game began, I'd be out of luck. Any chance of allowing that flexibility?
Agree completely on #4. I could of used this today in my main event as I learned after 3PM that Plouffe was not starting. Is it his wrist? who knows but I didn't want to take the chance to get zeroes. I already had Valencia locked at UTIL so I couldn't move Plouffe to UTIL to replace with a OF. Seems like a change that benefits all of us.

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Various ways this pitching rule change may work

#1 - Starting a DL/minor league pitcher MON-THUR and swapping them out for a double starter on FRI who has a bad MON-THUR matchup and a favorable FRI-SUN matchup. (Mon Chacin at Coors - Sat Chacin at SD)

#2 - Pulling out a closer/RP who hasn't pitched MON-THUR for a SP pitching FRI-SUN

#3 - Removing an injured/scratched/sick/paternity/bereavement pitcher for a FRI-SUN pitcher.

Perhaps roster composition will add more SP to teams. I think the hitter FRI changes added more bats. I'm not sure which way I lean on this. I like it a lot for the #3 scenario for sure.

Jason

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Red Sox Nation- wrote:
Gekko wrote:1. I like the idea of adding another 5 rounds to DC leagues
Agree completely on #4. I could of used this today in my main event as I learned after 3PM that Plouffe was not starting. Is it his wrist? who knows but I didn't want to take the chance to get zeroes. I already had Valencia locked at UTIL so I couldn't move Plouffe to UTIL to replace with a OF. Seems like a change that benefits all of us.
Agree with this.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Money wrote:OK, I'm going to take the opposing point of view on the pitching rule change. I will try to be brief but thorough at the same time.

The proposed pitching change means MORE time invested into strategy, faab and software nuances. For many this will equal less teams, including me. I will probably spend the same money, just play fewer teams. I surely will only commit to the time it takes to properly run the amount of teams I sign up for.

I will figure it out (the new rule) because I have the time. The new player will not, even though they may think they are. You do not want to make the talent gap larger within your (the NFBC) player pool.

The new player coming to the NFBC is already at a decided disadvantage. This will continue to lengthen the gap between those that are good enough to compete and those who aren't quite there yet. As a game operator I feel you need to keep everyone in the game as long as possible. I was a player that was on the brink of leaving a couple of years ago, the 12 team format and it's rules allowed me stay and learn. This rule will only separate them (the veterans) from the pact and discourage them from getting better after an unsuccessful season or two.

These moves cannot be made until Friday? Is that EST, PST, MST or CST? I'd like to see how the timing would be fair. Right now folks can change hitters prior to Friday, you're going to commit them to a computer Friday morning? This does not work and will create havoc, not for me but many others.

The strategy debate and to properly apply it to the game and faab is another conversation. To do it right is time and labor intensive, period.

More Time = less players in the NFBC in the long run. If you want to simply be a niche game I say go for it. If you want to grow, keep it as it is.
Disagree with this. It won't mean more time. Most of us who are trying to win these leagues are making Friday batting changes anyways, as it is. Most likely, by Thursday, we have the news that a starter, who is in our lineup, isn't going to be pitch, by being hurt or is sent down to the minors. Winning these leagues is supposed to be difficult. This isn't football where winners are more of a crapshoot. Those who win these leagues put a lot of time into it and I personally believe that this doesn't add more time to research, even with additional teams. This rule is being put into effect for the limited amount of times that pitchers in your lineup get hurt or sent down to the minors midweek. It is a positive. Keep the rule change. On a separate note, if you had Halladay in your lineup for 2 starts in this final week, this rule would not help you... :evil:

lrr

Post by lrr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:45 pm

There was a previous thread that discussed allowing one pitching change on Friday regardless of whether the pitcher switched out already pitched. Call it modest streaming. I thought the thread had good points and was generally positively received. It would eliminate all loopholes. It wouldn't take much extra time since lineup changes for hitters is made on Fridays anyway. It would add strategy.

The rule proposed here opens up all the loopholes rejected for years--the Colorado rule (first bad pitching match up--leave him on your bench till Friday). Put a DL player or minor leaguer in your lineup until Friday. I am not in favor of the rule proposed here.

Money

Post by Money » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:46 pm

BK, the discussion about time has to include strategy. I mentioned that it should be reserved for another time. To think its as simple as a plug and play given your current roster is naive. As the season goes on there will be multiple strategies employed. If you don't participate in those strategies you'll be at a disadvantage. Executing these strategies will be time consuming.

It is not as simple as many believe. I for one will cut way back with the institution of this change. I understand your point of view and know I would benefit from this rule change. The trade off of time to execute it properly is not one I will embrace.
Joe

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Bama wrote:After Re-reading yourpost we're considering an idea worst than that of streaming pitchers by allowing some teams to be able to change out pitchers while others cannot. Totally unfair and oh the manipulation that could occur with this.
I'm all ears Kenny: Show me how you manipulate a pitcher's spot that has had 0 IP Monday through Thursday. How is that different from our current hitter's rule? And even with our current hitter's Friday rule, some owners can swap out more hitters than others. I love the discussions on all of this, so let it begin.
It's the old John Smoltz rule! :lol:

Here's how it works: for the final week, I'm unsure if Sonny Gray or Jarrod Parker are going to pitch this weekend. Either way, they're definitely not going to pitch before Friday. I plug in Brandon Beachy into my starting lineup on Monday. On Friday, it's clear who the A's will roll out this weekend. I replace Beachy with either Parker or Gray. If neither pitches, I plug in my spare reliever from the bench. Or another starter who isn't scheduled to play until Fri/Sat/Sun.

Same logic can be applied earlier in the season as well for weekend starters. It gives you an out if a 5th starter is skipped (happened with Erasmo Ramirez a few weeks back), or a postponed game kicks a weekend starter over to Monday. Basically anytime you have a starter not schedule to pitch until Friday, you're incentivized to plug in a DL pitcher.

This is the manipulation that occurs with such a rule.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:56 pm

lrr wrote: The rule proposed here opens up all the loopholes rejected for years--the Colorado rule (first bad pitching match up--leave him on your bench till Friday). Put a DL player or minor leaguer in your lineup until Friday. I am not in favor of the rule proposed here.
That's the other big loophole -- allows owners to avoid the bad first start of a two start week.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I have no idea why the pitcher rules need to be changed. Is there a huge portion of the players clamoring for this?

I'm a strong vote against it based on the points described above. I spend way too much of my life on this as it is.

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm against any changes to the way pitchers are done right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

EWeaver

Post by EWeaver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:50 pm

King of Queens wrote:
lrr wrote: The rule proposed here opens up all the loopholes rejected for years--the Colorado rule (first bad pitching match up--leave him on your bench till Friday). Put a DL player or minor leaguer in your lineup until Friday. I am not in favor of the rule proposed here.
That's the other big loophole -- allows owners to avoid the bad first start of a two start week.
"We are looking into a better solution, which would deal with pitchers who haven't pitched yet Monday through Thursday."

It is unclear if the above (by Greg) means hasn't pitched Mon-Thur in a fantasy lineup, or hasn't pitched Mon-Thur in a reality lineup. And the difference is significant (the Colorado rule would or would not apply).

I've split an ME team for two years, and I'd echo what Money said. Our first year we were 13th in our league and about 400th overall (coming from a pretty strong fantasy background). This year, we will certainly cash in our league and finish in the top 15% overall...and I'd attribute a TON of that difference to learning curve, specifically w/r/t roster management and increased understsanding of FAAB (not just luck!). These "small" rule changes an incoming owner will not appreciate, but returning owners will...and when you're already going against the best guys in fantasy, it really starts to add up...