Tie Breaker-Do the stats count?? Can we set rosters??

sethpoppel

Tie Breaker-Do the stats count?? Can we set rosters??

Post by sethpoppel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Tom,

1.) Will stats from the tie-breaker on Monday between the Rays and the Rangers count?

2.) If so, can we re-set our rosters for that one game? If we can, how do we do it because
there is no new period showing.

Thank you, Seth

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Tie Breaker-Do the stats count?? Can we set rosters??

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:32 pm

sethpoppel wrote:Tom,

1.) Will stats from the tie-breaker on Monday between the Rays and the Rangers count?

2.) If so, can we re-set our rosters for that one game? If we can, how do we do it because

Thank you, Seth
From the Rules page:

"The NFBC regular season will extend from the first game of the MLB regular season through the final game of the regular season (including one or more season-ending MLB tie-breaker games if needed)."

So the answer is YES. There will be a new Period showing shortly to set your rosters for Monday. Good luck all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DDK

Post by DDK » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm

That shouldn't be!

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Man I lost 8 points since last night holding on to 2nd place by the skin of my(insert body part here). This can't end soon enough!!!!!!!!
:evil:
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Just a heads up. Doesn't look like we can set rosters for Monday yet.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
sethpoppel wrote:Tom,

Thank you, Seth
From the Rules page:

"The NFBC regular season will extend from the first game of the MLB regular season through the final game of the regular season (including one or more season-ending MLB tie-breaker games if needed)."

So the answer is YES. There will be a new Period showing shortly to set your rosters for Monday. Good luck all.
I'm a little surprised this extra period isn't already programmed in. If it's not used/needed, then no big deal. However, this will be the fourth time in the last seven years that an extra game will be needed to break a tie and now everyone will have to sit around and wait to see when they can change their lineup.

Maybe the wait will be short (could even be done by the time I post this 8-)), but could have/should have been done sometime in the last week at the latest when after looking at the standings it became very possible that a tie would happen.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Rangers activating Nelson Cruz for tomorrows game. 50 game suspension is over.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

lrr

Post by lrr » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:08 pm

I guess there is precedent for an extra lineup submission tomorrow but I am troubled by it. If teams are tied or close, every category or point might matter. There may be no objective reason for a majority of teams to even submit a legitimate lineup. Or what if teams place Tampa Bay or Texas offensive players on the bench, and don't get those stats. I understand these issues might arise in the last week of the year, but they become more glaring tomorrow should they occur.

Rog

Post by Rog » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:13 pm

what happens if they dont set their lineup? Do they get last weeks roster?

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:14 pm

since this was all in the rules before the season began- it is another rule change proposal for next year for those troubled by it or unable to sleep at night because of it.

sethpoppel

Post by sethpoppel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Greg...the new period is showing up, but the rosters are currently locked and we can't move our players??

I am assuming that will be corrected??

Money

Post by Money » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by Money on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

sek729

Post by sek729 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 am

TERRIBLE RULE!!!!!! There is absolutely NO REASON some teams should get 163 games. This is absurd!! I am up 0.5 pt with a legitimate shot of losing this tonight. So freaking angry I could SPIT. :evil:

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:25 am

It's the same rule everywhere. I realize it sucks for some teams but its been this way forever and all roto formats do it the same.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 am

It seems odd to me that this game has its own scoring period. To me...this game is an "add-on" and should be part of the last period. Clearly the rules indicate that this game counts but I don't see why this game should be considered as a new period and all of the teams are allowed to activate all of their Ray / Ranger players. I mean....you grind it out all year and now a Sam Fuld or a David Murphy might decide your fate because they are able to be activated for a play-in game? My vote would be to clarify the rules for upcoming years and any play-in games be a part of the last period.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:37 am

I actually never thought about it this way but it is considered a one game PLAYOFF so maybe not counting this game has some merit since it can be looked at as a playoff game. I am personally fine either way but it does "penalize" teams who do not have anybody playing.

Jeff

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:50 am

JohnP wrote:It seems odd to me that this game has its own scoring period. To me...this game is an "add-on" and should be part of the last period. Clearly the rules indicate that this game counts but I don't see why this game should be considered as a new period and all of the teams are allowed to activate all of their Ray / Ranger players. I mean....you grind it out all year and now a Sam Fuld or a David Murphy might decide your fate because they are able to be activated for a play-in game? My vote would be to clarify the rules for upcoming years and any play-in games be a part of the last period.
Good point. Maybe this is a good discussion for a rule change for next year that any play in game uses the lineups from the previous scoring period.

lrr

Post by lrr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:24 am

Asking for a rules clarification. In 2011 and 2012, the MLB season ended on a Wednesday. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe there was a one game playoff in those years. If there were a one game playoff on a Thursday, would there be a new lineup submission? I don't think the rules specifically state there is a new lineup submission for a playoff game. I understand the stats count. But for new lineup submission purposes, does it matter if a one game playoff is on a Monday or a Thursday?

sek729

Post by sek729 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:I actually never thought about it this way but it is considered a one game PLAYOFF so maybe not counting this game has some merit since it can be looked at as a playoff game. I am personally fine either way but it does "penalize" teams who do not have anybody playing.

Jeff

It's asinine for any league to be counting it. It's an unscheduled game created out of circumstances. When the season begins, we have everybody's 162 game schedule. This wild card 163rd game that may or may not happen for a tiny select amount of teams/players is patently absurd. The players in particular did nothing noteworthy in their performance to deserve such an extra game and if they had played better than their performance YTD, the game would have never taken place.

It absolutely should be stricken from the league rules

joshguy

Post by joshguy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 am

This is not a playoff game. This game tonight will go into the record books as a regular season game with regular season stats.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 am

In 2007, my place in the overall standings changed from third to fourth due to a playoff game. It cost me $5,000
I may again be haunted this year by a playoff game under more minor circumstances.
Still, it is part of the regular season. A part of the season that has to be played.

I do think that John's suggestion of not opening up another scoring period for folks with TEX/TAM players makes sense.
They should not benefit because they happened to have a Geo Soto stashed away. If they didn't play a guy like Soto yesterday, they should not have the benefit of playing him today.
'Soto Rule' sounds good to me.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Money

Post by Money » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am

lrr wrote:Asking for a rules clarification. In 2011 and 2012, the MLB season ended on a Wednesday. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe there was a one game playoff in those years. If there were a one game playoff on a Thursday, would there be a new lineup submission? I don't think the rules specifically state there is a new lineup submission for a playoff game. I understand the stats count. But for new lineup submission purposes, does it matter if a one game playoff is on a Monday or a Thursday?
You're exactly right. In 2011 an extra game was quite possible with the season ending on Wednesday. When setting your lineup for the short week you had to take into consideration the possibility of the Thursday game. It never happened. I believe a lineup reset is allowed here because it is a Monday.

I am in the camp that this game does not belong. I understand that that MLB considers it a regular season game for stats, it just doesn't feel right that arbitrarily some players get a shot at 163 games. It was quite possible with a three way tie that there would've been two games and we wouldn't be done until tomorrow night. :cry:
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:54 am

Guys, Major League Baseball considers this a regular season game, so yes this is part of the NFBC season. If Miguel Cabrera lost the Triple Crown because somebody else got a 163rd game to beat him statistically it would count. It might not seem fair to Cabrera, but it's the way MLB has handled tie-breaker games forever. This has always been in our rules and it's not uncommon for a tie-breaker game to happen. Russell said it's happened 4 out of the last 7 years and with two Wild Card teams in each league it will likely happen more often going forward.

Again, it's part of the MLB regular season and thus part of our season long stats. This is a season-long contest and no rules change is necessary. We play until the end. Good luck to all and good luck to the Rays and Rangers today.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

sek729

Post by sek729 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:54 am

LOL AT THIS.

Some guy in my league, who has no chance to change his position, just put in Nelson Cruz into his lineup! THE ONLY WAY HE CAN AFFECT THE PRIZE STRUCTURE IS BY KNOCKING ME OFF IN A CATEGORY!!!!!

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!!!!! :evil: Some stooge with no skin in the game, was allowed to change his lineup for this 163rd game that could very likely change the Top 2 positions.

lrr

Post by lrr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 am

Greg,

We understand your position. But many of us are commenting on this new lineup submission for the game tonight. What in the rules supports that specifically? Also, if the game were on a Thursday, would there be this new lineup submission? Thanks.