Looking For Help on Player Default List

Greg Ambrosius

Looking For Help on Player Default List

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 am

Okay, I'm finalizing the NFBC player default list for online drafts so that we at least have a pretty good semblance of a draft list before you enter the draft room. We want to at least get the first 500 or so players in a good position so that when you start to work on your Draft Prep list it won't take you so much time. Also, if someone times out on a pick we want to hopefully have worthy players near the top of the list, not retired or injured players.

But even more importantly, I need to get rookies who didn't play a down in the majors into the player default list. Help me along the way if you can with a full list of rookies we should have available in the draft room right away. I'll take any and all suggestions here. Go ahead, someone start me with a solid list. Thanks.

Also, where should I list these interesting guys:

Michael Wacha -- did his value rise from this post-season performance?
Billy Hamilton -- is he Top 100 or headed back to the minors?
Byron Buxton -- is he the next Mike Trout?

I think I know where each should go, but I'm interested in some opinions. Thanks for any help here and drafting season is getting closer with each passing day. Be ready.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Outlaw

Re: Looking For Help on Player Default List

Post by Outlaw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Michael Wacha -- around 50 or so, could see him goign as low as 30 or so
Billy Hamilton -- anywhere from 75-125- but a gamble as to whether he makes to club even. Depends on if they sigh Choo.
Byron Buxton -- 250 or so- too young and they may leave him int he minors for 2-3 months.

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Buxton hasn't reached AA ball yet and is having a quiet fall league so it looks like he may need at least another full year in the minors. Looking forward to seeing him in New Britain next year though!
Last edited by whale4evr on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Outlaw wrote:Michael Wacha -- around 50 or so, could see him goign as low as 30 or so
Billy Hamilton -- anywhere from 75-125- but a gamble as to whether he makes to club even. Depends on if they sigh Choo.
Byron Buxton -- 250 or so- too young and they may leave him int he minors for 2-3 months.
ALL way overhyped!!!! LOL

wacha in the 2nd!!! ROLMAO!!! Hamilton in the 5th!!! Come on!!!!!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Michael Wacha -- Was viewed by scouts as a #3 type starter entering the year.okay, move him up some, but realistically i cant see him going b4 the 6th

Billy Hamilton -- is he Top 100 or headed back to the minors? Q up dee gordon from a few years ago. teams got torpedo'd by banking on 50 sb from him at SS. FAIL. stick him around the 12th round (180) for now

Byron Buxton -- is he the next Mike Trout? i dont see him being an impact bat this year. somewhere in the 30-40th round (lets say 500 overall)

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

I need to get rookies who didn't play a down in the majors into the player default list.
Got football on the mind, I see.. :lol:

Wacha will go in the top 50 picks in every league I am in. :D

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:56 pm

BK METS wrote: Wacha will go in the top 50 picks in every league I am in. :D
sounds like a winning bet...for your opponents!! LOL :lol:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Let the hype begin.....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:28 pm

On the other end of the spectrum......

Eric Albright pointed out that in the 34th round of the first 50 rounder of the season, not one Minnesota Twins Starter has been selected.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:45 pm

When Wacha gets shut down in June with a sore elbow, people will go "Oh, I'm so unlucky. That was a great pick in the 3rd round if he could just have stayed healthy."

Overdrafting young SP who haven't been through the injury years yet is a great way to give me your money.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Gekko wrote:
BK METS wrote: Wacha will go in the top 50 picks in every league I am in. :D
sounds like a winning bet...for your opponents!! LOL :lol:
I'm the proud owner of Michael Wacha in the first 50 round draft of 2014. I think he has great stuff and will have a very strong year. While I do not expect him to be so unhittable next year as big league hitters get used to facing him, I'm looking for 160-175 Ks, around a 3.00 ERA and 1.2 WHIP (assuming, of course, he stays healthy). While wins are unpredictable, 15 is possible on a really good Cardinals team.

I grabbed Wacha in Round 8, with pick #113. I think that is a very reasonable place to grab him and he was a target of mine. I can see Wacha going in the seventh round, maybe somewhere in the sixth round as the hype builds, but would never take him myself within or near the top 50 picks. There are a number of really good, well-established starters available in that part of the draft that I think would be safer selections. To each his own. Slotting the young studs is always challenging.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

BEF

Post by BEF » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:But even more importantly, I need to get rookies who didn't play a down in the majors into the player default list. Help me along the way if you can with a full list of rookies we should have available in the draft room right away. I'll take any and all suggestions here.
Football reference notwithstanding, let's get back to the original intent of the thread. I would expect to see these rookies (in alpha order) not currently listed likely to be drafted, especially in the later DC leagues. I know a few of them had a cup of coffee in September so cannot 100% vouch for their 2014 rookie status:

Javier Baez (CHC)
Jessie Biddle (PHI)
Archie Bradley (ARI)
Kaleb Cowart (LAA)
Heath Hembree (SF)
Erik Johnson (CHW)
Rafael Montero (NYM)
Jimmy Nelson (MIL)
Justin Nicolino (MIA)
Mike Olt (CHC)
Kyle Parker (COL)
Joc Pederson (LAD)
Aaron Sanchez (TOR)
Jonathan Schoop (BAL)
Jonathan Singleton (HOU)
George Springer (HOU)
Robert Stephenson (CIN)
Marcus Stroman (TOR)
Oscar Tavares (STL)
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Mike - 8th round sounds much more reasonable

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Bef - from your list, I really like Bradley for this coming year

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 pm

BEF wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:But even more importantly, I need to get rookies who didn't play a down in the majors into the player default list. Help me along the way if you can with a full list of rookies we should have available in the draft room right away. I'll take any and all suggestions here.
Football reference notwithstanding, let's get back to the original intent of the thread. I would expect to see these rookies (in alpha order) not currently listed likely to be drafted, especially in the later DC leagues. I know a few of them had a cup of coffee in September so cannot 100% vouch for their 2014 rookie status:

Javier Baez (CHC)
Jessie Biddle (PHI)
Archie Bradley (ARI)
Kaleb Cowart (LAA)
Heath Hembree (SF)
Erik Johnson (CHW)
Rafael Montero (NYM)
Jimmy Nelson (MIL)
Justin Nicolino (MIA)
Mike Olt (CHC)
Kyle Parker (COL)
Joc Pederson (LAD)
Aaron Sanchez (TOR)
Jonathan Schoop (BAL)
Jonathan Singleton (HOU)
George Springer (HOU)
Robert Stephenson (CIN)
Marcus Stroman (TOR)
Oscar Tavares (STL)
Noah Syndergaard (NYM)
Jose Abreu (ChicW)
Nick Castellanos (Det)
Masahiro Tanaka (FA)
Jameson Taillon (Pitt)

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Gekko wrote:
Outlaw wrote:Michael Wacha -- around 50 or so, could see him goign as low as 30 or so
ALL way overhyped!!!! LOL

wacha in the 2nd!!! ROLMAO!!! Hamilton in the 5th!!! Come on!!!!!

Didnt say I would take any of them. just input for preseason rankings... Come March when Spring training starts and drafts are going on, all 3 of them could be ranked totally differently. Wacha though, I got him in round 10 of the premature draft before his post season run. So thats 150. If hes around at 50 to 75 I'll take him all day long next spring.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Outlaw wrote: If hes around at 50 to 75 I'll take him all day long next spring.
if you are being truthful, you will get wacha in every one of your drafts. :P

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Gekko wrote:
Outlaw wrote: If hes around at 50 to 75 I'll take him all day long next spring.
if you are being truthful, you will get wacha in every one of your drafts. :P
I'll take him, you won't so we shall see. Plenty of other owners will be on him, as much as you probably want him under the radar, he will not be... even though he is getting lit up tonight too...

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Outlaw wrote: Wacha though, I got him in round 10 of the premature draft before his post season run. So thats 150. If hes around at 50 to 75 I'll take him all day long next spring.
so a few weeks ago, you pass on wacha until the 10th round. now, a mere 27+ innings later, you move him up to the 4th or 5th round and will take him "all day long" there? not sure what to say about that :P

i'm thinking you are getting sucked into his overachieving in the playoffs. the offseason should cool that off. btw, 10th round is a nice pricepoint. good job there 8-)

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Gekko wrote:Michael Wacha -- Was viewed by scouts as a #3 type starter entering the year.okay, move him up some, but realistically i cant see him going b4 the 6th

after tonight's FAIL, 7th or 8th round looks reasonable. 115 overall

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Gekko wrote:
Gekko wrote:Michael Wacha -- Was viewed by scouts as a #3 type starter entering the year.okay, move him up some, but realistically i cant see him going b4 the 6th

after tonight's FAIL, 7th or 8th round looks reasonable. 115 overall
While tonight's fail does not phase me as a Wacha owner - pretty tough spot tonight for any pitcher - I have to agree with you about his "value" at this point in time. Rounds 7-9 still is very heady territory for a pitcher with less than half a year in the bigs. He has great stuff, but so do a lot of other pitchers who have been doing it for years. If he actually gets drafted around #50, in Round 4, then I don't think he's going to be on any of my other teams. I'm OK with being aggressive if you really like a player, and perhaps Wacha will be great next year, but that is just too high for me. Case in point: in the same draft I picked Wacha at 8(113), I also picked King Felix at 4(53). If forced to choose between the two, it wouldn't take me a nanosecond. Yes, it's possible King Felix will get hurt and/or be outperformed by Wacha, but that's not how I'd bet my money. There are a lot of really good pitchers available in Rounds 4-6 that I'd rank ahead of Wacha.

Anyway, reasonable minds can differ, and that's part of what makes this game so interesting and challenging. I also definitely share the love for Wacha. His stuff is impressive, notwithstanding tonight. (Pitching in May or June against the Padres, Marlins and Cubs without a DH also will be a little easier than facing the Red Sox, with a DH, at Fenway, in an elimination game in the World Series.)

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:26 am

I would prefer no default rankings, but understand the need for it to help speed up the draft and help the teams that don't know 750 MLB ready players. I think you should NOT use the drafts already run (the Doughboy private leagues) and instead have a formula that you share with the league.

Something like:

Top 100 based on final 2013 rankings.
Second half top 150 and put the the those that were not in the top 100 from 101 to 150.
Then take the list of submitted 2014 rookies (including international signings) and place the top 15 as round 11.
Any top 75 from 2013 main event not listed
Do the same for top 200, second half top 300 and then next 15 prospects.
Any top 150 from 2013 main event. (Exclude retired)
Top 45 MI from second half.
Top 25 catchers from 2013 and top 25 catchers from second half (as most teams like to end round 23 with a full starting lineup.)
Repeat with top 300 and second half top 400.
After that I would rank relief pitcher all the number 1 and number 2s on whatever depth chart system you like best.
The top four GS on each MLB team.
The next 45 in MLB ABs in in 2013.
The top 150 from 2012 main event. (Exclude retired)
Anyone drafted in over 10% of 2103 main event.
The next 30 is MLB GS
The top 10 in AAA in HR, SB, RBI, runs and qualifying BA
The top 5 in AAA in ERA, k/9 and qualifying ERA
The top 10 on each MLB team in PAs in 2013
The top six on each MLB 2013 GS
The top 5 in AA in HR/pa, SB/g, runs/g and qualify BA
The top 5 in AA in ERA, k/9
Remaining of MB listed prospects
All the C listed on the depth chart.
Anyone on two or more main event end of season rosters.
The top 200 in MLB k/9 (10 IP min)
The top 450 in MLB PA
The top 300 in MLB k/9
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill