Overall Main Event Grand Prize Increases to $200,000 in 2014

Baseball Furies

Overall Main Event Grand Prize Increases to $200,000 in 2014

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:14 am

What happened to this thread? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I got wind that this was up yesterday early evening and a rousing discussion had already begun on it. Did the Men in Black intervene? :?
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

poopytooth

Re: Overall Main Event Grand Prize Increases to $200,000 in

Post by poopytooth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:16 am

I haven't seen that.

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:00 am

Thank you. I saw $150k at most unless I missed something. I did see Greg mention doubling, so maybe that is it, but I didn't read that as a definite...more as a way to increase discussion.

I would be all for a larger overall prize for the main event. I think you have to get to $200k to increase entries. $150 is nice but $200k sounds much better...maybe the visual of the 1 becoming a 2. :D

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 am

Maybe throw a question mark in the thread title. Or change it. Or something.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:02 am

Hells Satans wrote:Maybe throw a question mark in the thread title. Or change it. Or something.
yup. could cause confusion, esp to newbies

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:40 am

Though I posted my thoughts in KJ's thread, I'll post here too as the discussion may move to this thread. Greg, if you're looking to bump the carrot in the hopes of increasing membership, don't do it incrementally. It won't have the impact you're hoping for. There's not as much of a psychological difference between $100K, $125K, $150K as you think. Figure out how to make it $200K and membership should increase. It's a proven formula in football.

PS...Mikey, I also agree that a question mark should be added to the end of your thread title. I like the idea, but we should avoid possibly confusing other players, especially potential new ones.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:04 am

After their talk Greg told Mouth to just sit tight for a week... yeah that will work :lol:
Attachments
bull-china-shop (1).jpg
>
bull-china-shop (1).jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 5795 times

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:21 am

I thought $150,000 was too much of a bump. Now, it's $200,000?
To tell the truth, I don't have enough income to play the Main Event if it nearly doubles in cost just to pay for additional advertising and line ONE person's pockets.
I know that pleading poverty isn't cool. I know that.
But, it would make me choose between Main Event teams that I have played for 10 years or a bunch of 50 rounders.
And with the honor and glory that goes with winning a Main League, I would probably choose the many drafts that the 50 rounders offer.
And most of you know how passionate I am about being 'live' and the Main Events.

I know I'm fighting Mikey and others who have more income and want to see every event go for that one large prize. In doing this, a lot of the drafters that have lost during the last few years will look at that increase and say, 'screw it, I wasn't winning anyway.'
We have Supers, Diamonds, and Platinums, and Plutoniums, why do we have to make the Main Event available only for the big spenders as well?
Keep that middle ground that Main Events are. It is enough to entice both the big and moderate spender. The price is large enough and small enough to entice most to come to 'live' events. Increasing the price may take travel expenses away from folks and they'll settle for more Online drafting. The ripple effect could be harsh for the future and 'Live' events may be jeopardized.

There are many that want to play auctions at a lesser price point. An untapped market. But the best idea is to increase fees on the Main Event for one fella?
To say I disagree with this would be putting it mildly.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I thought $150,000 was too much of a bump. Now, it's $200,000?
To tell the truth, I don't have enough income to play the Main Event if it nearly doubles in cost just to pay for additional advertising and line ONE person's pockets.
But, it would make me choose between Main Event teams that I have played for 10 years or a bunch of 50 rounders.
And with the honor and glory that goes with winning a Main League, I would probably choose the many drafts that the 50 rounders offer.
And most of you know how passionate I am about being 'live' and the Main Events.

I know I'm fighting Mikey and others who have more income and want to see every event go for that one large prize. In doing this, a lot of the drafters that have lost during the last few years will look at that increase and say, 'screw it, I wasn't winning anyway.'
We have Supers, Diamonds, and Platinums, and Plutoniums, why do we have to make the Main Event available only for the big spenders as well?
Keep that middle ground that Main Events are. It is enough to entice both the big and moderate spender.

There are many that want to play auctions at a lesser price point. An untapped market. But the best idea is to increase fees on the Main Event for one fella?
I don't think it would be the enormous cost increase you think it would be Doughy. A simple $150 increase per entry (or the cost of just one of those 50 rounders you are so fond of :P ), gets you 2/3 of the way there even if the total entries simply stand pat and the NFBC throws the full percentage into the prize pool to help grow its event. The remaining 1/3 would be attained by just increasing the total number of entries less than 20%, something I think would be easily achievable considering the carrot would be increased 100%.

I'm personally fine with leaving the Main Event as it is. In fact, I love it as it is. However, it is proven over a decade that entries have hit a plateau with the 100K top prize. If the goal is to increase participation in the Main Event, measures like this would probably have to be taken. Carrots work.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 am

Maybe the carrot works, maybe it don't, I don't know.
I do know that the 'Live event' would become less attended. That carrot can be achieved simply by staying home and being on the computer. For folks without the means, online becomes more and more of an option to cut costs for the consumer.
The 'Live Event' gets hurt by a price increase more than anything else.
Not to mention folks like me who would have to decide where to put their money.
On my tombstone-

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Maybe the carrot works, maybe it don't, I don't know.
I do know that the 'Live event' would become less attended. That carrot can be achieved simply by staying home and being on the computer. For folks without the means, online becomes more and more of an option to cut costs for the consumer.
The 'Live Event gets hurt by a price increase more than anything else.
Not to mention folks like me who would have to decide where to put their money.
I personally don't disagree with this thought at all Doughy. It's a tough call. My point however isn't to increase the top prize of the Main Event, just if you do so, don't do it halfway, do it where you have a real chance to make an impact.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 am

Greg has some studying to do ....

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:08 am

Keep that middle ground that Main Events are. It is enough to entice both the big and moderate spender. The price is large enough and small enough to entice most to come to 'live' events. Increasing the price may take travel expenses away from folks and they'll settle for more Online drafting. The ripple effect could be harsh for the future and 'Live' events may be jeopardized.

Well said Dough. I'm in the same boat and agree completely. Why isn't 100K enough? That is life changing for me, but perhaps not for those who are calling for bigger carrots. I think it's great that some of these same players can ask for platinum leagues. They have earned it and I have nothing against it. If I had that kind of money, I would probably do the same and spend it doing what I love, which is this game. However, you rarely see the middle class guy asking for higher fees to increase the pool prize. These discussions and threads are being dominated by the whales, but do not represent the hundreds of other players that make up these events who choose not to get involved on the boards or in such discussions. As a live event guy, I disagree with the motion as well.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:10 am

I would gladly pay an extra $100 if it would help build an auction platform at different prices. I would feel confident that that $100 and everybody elses $100 is helping to build a cornerstone for the NFBC.
Paying a lot more than $100 just for a little more advertising and to line one person's pockets? Uggh.
The auction site at different prices would benefit EVERYONE in the NFBC.
A price increase that is three-five fold of that $100 just to benefit ONE person makes little sense.
None at all, really.
On my tombstone-

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 am

Greg said the grand prize would go up slightly, at his last post, maybe to $125K. Not 200K. Mike, change the topic on this thread, bro... or put a question mark or something.

Also, there was talk of a 100K grand prize in the 12 team event. Maybe as a combination, it would be $200K.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 am

I 100% agree with Dan here.

I'm not interested in increasing the signup fee by $500/$1000 more to line the pocket of one player (Yes, I know that player could be me :o :roll: ). As it is my cost will be going up next year because the Chicago ME Live draft is cancelled and I will be adding travel cost to my bottom line. I guess I could play the Online ME , but I HATE :twisted: the online version of this event. That's right, I said hate. :twisted: I personally put most of the blame on the Online for the demise of the Chicago ME.

If this event goes up too much I would really have to weigh the total cost of playing the ME versus doing multiple 50's and satellites.

****Side Note*****

I found some of the comments made by Mike in his original "Letter to the NFBC" to be of questionable respect (or maybe restraint would be a better word) towards Greg and I said as much in a post. Mike, to his credit, responded to me and told me that was not his intent and that he just wants to improve the game, which I believe.

But then after talking with Greg he posted a 'wrap-up' in that thread that I again thought was borderline disrespectful. Now maybe I just 'read' them that way while no one else did, or maybe his writing style comes off a lot more sarcastic then intended (I know that has happened to me), but it seemed to be pushing the limit. And now this thread.

Maybe this ($200,000) is something Greg and Mike talked about as an option for the event, and this thread has already generated responses to that possibly proposal, which is good, but if it was talked about in your meeting then this thread really should have been started by Greg. And if not, it should be posted with a question mark at minimum or reworded altogether.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 am

Maybe if you want a really big carrot...market a $1,000,000 prize. Give it to anyone who wins the overall for main event, 12 team main event (forget what it is called), draft champions overall and the cutline overall title. Take the grand prize from each, somewhere around $350k or whatever it ends and add the difference to one million.

Advertise as the first million dollar prize...most people will not even try all leagues but the publicity will be good. (Just buy insurance in case a hog farmer decides to enter. :D

Ok, now that i have your attention, drop the cutline and do it for $500k...they will already have 200k+ you would be adding the difference....not saying it's peanuts...but I think you would grow the league entries....just a thought.

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:29 am

poopytooth wrote:Maybe if you want a really big carrot...market a $1,000,000 prize. Give it to anyone who wins the overall for main event, 12 team main event (forget what it is called), draft champions overall and the cutline overall title. Take the grand prize from each, somewhere around $350k or whatever it ends and add the difference to one million.

Advertise as the first million dollar prize...most people will not even try all leagues but the publicity will be good. (Just buy insurance in case a hog farmer decides to enter. :D

Ok, now that i have your attention, drop the cutline and do it for $500k...they will already have 200k+ you would be adding the difference....not saying it's peanuts...but I think you would grow the league entries....just a thought.
sorry...mtm hijacked my account... :lol:

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:37 am

poopytooth wrote:
poopytooth wrote:Maybe if you want a really big carrot...market a $1,000,000 prize. Give it to anyone who wins the overall for main event, 12 team main event (forget what it is called), draft champions overall and the cutline overall title. Take the grand prize from each, somewhere around $350k or whatever it ends and add the difference to one million.

sorry...mtm hijacked my account... :lol:
for the record...I would go $100 more for $200k overall in ME...

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 am

For the record, Glenn.
I am not all that fond of the 50 rounders. But they do provide a vehicle for me to do what I love most.
Draft.
I am fond of the Main Event. More than fond, I heart the Main Event. And am passionate about it.
That is the problem for me.
Raising costs a lot for the Main Event forces me to make a decision between drafting a lot and participating in the Main Event.

In small, it is the Corvette Syndrome for me.
I love Corvettes. Never owned one. Too expensive.
In my lifetime, I will have owned several cars that exceed the costs of a Corvette.
Those cars got me to where I wanted to go and were affordable.
Those cars are the 50 rounders.
If priced too high, the Main Event becomes the Corvette.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
On my tombstone-

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 am

Navel Lint wrote:

I 100% agree with Dan here.

I'm not interested in increasing the signup fee by $500/$1000 more to line the pocket of one player (Yes, I know that player could be me :o :roll: ). As it is my cost will be going up next year because the Chicago ME Live draft is cancelled and I will be adding travel cost to my bottom line. I guess I could play the Online ME , but I HATE :twisted: the online version of this event. That's right, I said hate. :twisted: I personally put most of the blame on the Online for the demise of the Chicago ME.

If this event goes up too much I would really have to weigh the total cost of playing the ME versus doing multiple 50's and satellites.

****Side Note*****

I found some of the comments made by Mike in his original "Letter to the NFBC" to be of questionable respect (or maybe restraint would be a better word) towards Greg and I said as much in a post. Mike, to his credit, responded to me and told me that was not his intent and that he just wants to improve the game, which I believe.

But then after talking with Greg he posted a 'wrap-up' in that thread that I again thought was borderline disrespectful. Now maybe I just 'read' them that way while no one else did, or maybe his writing style comes off a lot more sarcastic then intended (I know that has happened to me), but it seemed to be pushing the limit. And now this thread.

Maybe this ($200,000) is something Greg and Mike talked about as an option for the event, and this thread has already generated responses to that possibly proposal, which is good, but if it was talked about in your meeting then this thread really should have been started by Greg. And if not, it should be posted with a question mark at minimum or reworded altogether.
Naval -- you are accurate. The post by Mike was disrespectful. A slap in the face of a guy who has been nothing short of a class act with all of us. The reply to Potter was also disrespectful. The only thing that Mike continues to accomplish, is cement the opinion of others that he is the wannabe self-appointed NFBC union rep/ arrogant and entitled individual who thinks he is more important than he really is. Like how he pushed to get Greg to promote the MTM super on Sirius, because it would help promote the NFBC. I'm sure overall sales would skyrocket on that one. His opinion represents the small few who just let him talk and perhaps disagree, but rather not deal with it and want him to think he's making a difference. To be honest, I'm surprised that most other guys who know Greg well and have benefited financially from the NFBC are not standing up against the behavior. But, maybe they know that it wouldn't matter.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:53 am

With the success of the NFBC/NFFC (and connection to the ever growing Fanduel) why not grow the prizes by finding a sponsor or two (and not possibly not have to pass the increase along to the customer base). Just a thought.

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:55 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:With the success of the NFBC/NFFC (and connection to the ever growing Fanduel) why not grow the prizes by finding a sponsor or two (and not possibly not have to pass the increase along to the customer base). Just a thought.
yes!