Win $200,000 In The Debut NFBC Platinum League

KJ Duke

Re: Win $200,000 In The Debut NFBC Platinum League

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 am

King of Queens wrote: Good point, Larry. It should be 15 separate open auctions for each slot, starting with #1 and working down to #15.
That's how we always ran it for the NFBC keeper and contract leagues, never a complaint in six years. Same for the Gridiron except there we bid real money. We also allow $0 bids, no reason to spend FAAB on a spot if no one else wants it.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 am

Captain Hook wrote:3) owners should be willing to use real money to do so - it may cost and additional two, three, even five thousand to secure the first and/or second draft slot but no one who is paying a league fee of $20K should be bothered about that
Perry, I guarantee you'd be wrong about this in regards to at least one participant.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 am

Captain - we discussed Gridiron-style bidding in Vegas, but there are greatly different depth of pockets among the participants. Some could bid any amount without a second thought, while others are close to maxed out for the entry fee. Bidding with FAAB levels the playing field perfectly, bidding $$$ could actually make it more uneven.

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:41 am

Count me in for the way KJ runs his contract league bidding process. It's the fairest system out there for draft spots. If Greg had allowed Tyrer's offer to bid on his number one pick, we were prepared to give him the $2K he wanted for it. Trout is worth a lot, but as someone who sat at the back of the draft, the biggest difference was in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would have much preferred to be at the front of the draft and would bid either FAAB or real money to be there.
SF

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 pm

la Jolla wrote:Count me in for the way KJ runs his contract league bidding process. It's the fairest system out there for draft spots. If Greg had allowed Tyrer's offer to bid on his number one pick, we were prepared to give him the $2K he wanted for it. Trout is worth a lot, but as someone who sat at the back of the draft, the biggest difference was in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would have much preferred to be at the front of the draft and would bid either FAAB or real money to be there.
SF
We had already offered him $3k. :D

coldwater coyotes

Post by coldwater coyotes » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Top bid was in fact $5,000 from a very high draft spot.. it would have needed a significant raise to have got me to move to that dark part of the world.
I was still negotiating with Nick to get me an introduction to Kate.

This year, at least, there was a significant advantage to having the number one draft spot so my vote for next year would be to use FAAB money for bidding on draft spots. I would imagine that the auction price for this year's number one pick would have been in excess of 200.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm

coldwater coyotes wrote: I was still negotiating with Nick to get me an introduction to Kate.
A lot of us would like to get into that negotiation, Will. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm

coldwater coyotes wrote:Top bid was in fact $5,000 from a very high draft spot.. it would have needed a significant raise to have got me to move to that dark part of the world.

This year, at least, there was a significant advantage to having the number one draft spot so my vote for next year would be to use FAAB money for bidding on draft spots. I would imagine that the auction price for this year's number one pick would have been in excess of 200.
I'd bet Lowy offers $999 in FAAB for the Kate Upton experience. :)

... gratuitous insert ...

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Jeez, looks like I was the one commoner in a roomful of the Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous!
The common man votes FAAB bidding for draft slots!!! ;) :D

Now KJ, if Kate was up for FAAB auction, I think my team would pretty much have the roster flexibility of a Drafts Champions squad when I was done with my bid. The other guys can fight over Trout. 8-)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 pm

We need to talk to Nick about getting Kate to help us run KDS for the Platinum during the Viewing Party.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Captain - we discussed Gridiron-style bidding in Vegas, but there are greatly different depth of pockets among the participants. Some could bid any amount without a second thought, while others are close to maxed out for the entry fee. Bidding with FAAB levels the playing field perfectly, bidding $$$ could actually make it more uneven.
Sorry Kevin it didn't look like there had been discussion so I offered my thoughts. At this level it should be up to the participants to decide because each of the systems has good points and bad points but I agree that some form of bidding is better for some than random draw - although there are those who prefer that

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Hells Satans wrote:
la Jolla wrote:Count me in for the way KJ runs his contract league bidding process. It's the fairest system out there for draft spots. If Greg had allowed Tyrer's offer to bid on his number one pick, we were prepared to give him the $2K he wanted for it. Trout is worth a lot, but as someone who sat at the back of the draft, the biggest difference was in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would have much preferred to be at the front of the draft and would bid either FAAB or real money to be there.
SF
I was prepared to spend as much of Massotto's money as needed:)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Keeping tabs ...

FAAB Bidding
1. Duke/ RT/ Stadtmueller
2. Stanard
3. Particelli/ Juprinka
4. Lowy
5. KOQ
6. Fleming
7. Tyrer

No Bidding
1. Berg
2. Norred

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:02 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Keeping tabs ...

FAAB Bidding
1. Duke/ RT/ Stadtmueller
2. Stanard
3. Particelli/ Juprinka
4. Lowy
5. KOQ
6. Fleming
7. Tyrer

No Bidding
1. Berg
2. Norred
Keeping tabs.....

Will be Bidding on Kate
1. Will Tyrer
2. Glenn Lowy
3. Tom Kessenich

Will not be Bidding on Kate
1. Anyone whose wife checks out the message boards.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Keeping tabs.....

Will be Bidding on Kate
1. Will Tyrer
2. Glenn Lowy
3. Tom Kessenich
I gotta rig the game otherwise I'll have no chance against the two of you.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Will be Bidding on Kate
1. Will Tyrer
2. Glenn Lowy
3. Tom Kessenich

Will not be Bidding on Kate
1. Anyone whose wife checks out the message boards.
2. Joe Berg (he's a "traditionalist" and this was not in the 1973 rule book)
3. Norred (might be persuaded to change mind if he can trade her for something of lesser value)

updated list ;)

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Is there a link in which we can follow the standings in this league? I followed the draft online and would be interested in checking out the standings time to time especially since i had liked a few teams after the draft especially that of Glenn
Which Glenn? If it's Glenn Schroter's team, then I agree.
If it's the other Glenn.... :shock: , I'm sorry to hear that for the sake of your teams. :?

Ill give you a hint sir...My first round pick was Hanley, 2nd round pick was Beltre, 4th round pick was Upton

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:
Keeping tabs.....

Will be Bidding on Kate
1. Will Tyrer
2. Glenn Lowy
3. Tom Kessenich
I gotta rig the game otherwise I'll have no chance against the two of you.
Bidding here! 8-)
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 pm

coldwater coyotes wrote:Top bid was in fact $5,000 from a very high draft spot.. it would have needed a significant raise to have got me to move to that dark part of the world.

I believe that Kate has an age threshold for which you sir, Mr. Tyrer, are grossly under or over qualified for based upon how she's scoring it. :mrgreen: Either way, it would take a lot of your money to buy her affections...which I'm sure you'd have no problem doing! :lol:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 pm

la Jolla wrote:
Hells Satans wrote:
SF
I was prepared to spend as much of Massotto's money as needed:)
I believe it was more like $3000 of my money, but we knew that Cassavettes would out bid the field from the two-hole no less! Wish I had that kind of money that I had nothing better to do with it than piss it away like that. :roll:

As far as FAAB bidding goes, live auction is fine by me if that's what the majority chooses, but I recommend that we apply Vickery to the bidding if we go with blind bidding.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:58 pm

I am not at all on board with bidding for draft position. I don't think any league should be different in the process just because it costs more to play.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:I am not at all on board with bidding for draft position. I don't think any league should be different in the process just because it costs more to play.
Reasonable viewpoint, but the reality is that EVERY league should bid for draft slots ... why should luck of the draw have a major impact on the outcome of any league?

That said ... I believe we don't/won't have it in overall contests for a few reasons: 1) many players would rather have a chance to get lucky than have a level playing field to start; 2) it would be time-consuming and more difficult to manage from a game operator standpoint; and 3) it might scare away some new entrants who don't have a feel for it and thus could feel they're at a disadvantage. None of these 3 reasons, however, should come into play with any Ultimate, Diamond or Platinum league.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:30 pm

I retract a bit of my statement. Certain contained leagues should have the ability to alter from the norm as they see fit. That just seems a bit drastic to me. Whatever Greg and Tom decide is the best for a particular league should be made known. And then if someone is uncomfortable with drastic differences they can choose to play or not play.

These things are far more important in football than baseball. I don't even like KDS in the first place when it has to be done other than right before the league starts. In big football leagues, having to set KDS before an actual game goes on is ridiculous IMO. WIth the depth of baseball lineups and the depth of the number of games it is not a huge deal to take luck of the draw to an extent. I would just prefer to not have to decide my draft spot based on free agent dollars. If they want to make it real money added to the prize pool, I might be more okay with it. Some people like to have the full 1k to bid on in free agency. Some might not. I can understand the logic, but I don't agree with it.