Win $200,000 In The Debut NFBC Platinum League

Baseball Furies

Re: Win $200,000 In The Debut NFBC Platinum League

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:35 am

Quahogs wrote::lol: :lol: Thanks for the clarification on "wussies" I always thought it was Massotto speak for part "holy crap I just entered the Platinum and flushed 20k down the toilet" and part "whew I'm lucky I just nabbed big game hunter Fleming as my partner so now I have half a chance in hell as opposed to zero as long as I don't speak on draft day" :lol:
LMAO! Classic. Great. I'll see you and your attorney there for the live KDS drawing that day. :mrgreen
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 pm

Okay, how is it that the single most anticipated, highest stakes, premiere event in NFBC history has somehow dropped off the first page of the message boards?! :shock:

I think there should be at least some regular reports being posted every few days about this league, what's planned, what's happening with it, who's in it, etc. Not to mention updates on all the festivities that Greg and Tom have planned for us. :mrgreen:

There is also the matter of settling the live draft order draw and determination that was the decided on for this league at inception as was posted. This in and of itself is an event and would make for some great coverage and commentary (at least that's what my sources at Sirius/XM tell me ;) ).

So where are we with everything?
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:59 am

I don't give a crap about Sirius or what the Rules page states. I want the KDS done in advance

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:35 am

Hells Satans wrote:I don't give a crap about Sirius or what the Rules page states. I want the KDS done in advance
I will send out an email today to all NFBC Platinum owners with some options to choose from. We can have that discussion on that thread and figure out a game plan well in advance of the NFBC Platinum draft. At $20,000 per entry, it would be foolish for me and Tom to just choose one option and impose our will on the participants. A little discussion can solve this rather easily, we believe.

But we do agree that selecting the draft spots closer to the draft date makes sense here. By that weekend, everyone will have known all of their Main Event draft slots and can easily make a call on their Platinum preferences. We have several options to do this, whether that be before we all arrive in Las Vegas, or on Thursday night at the party, Friday before one of the day drafts, or even Saturday at some time. Let's get some options listed and discuss it through internally as a group.

There's no way we will all agree on the same timetable and that's a given with a group as determined as this. But we can still do this fairly and make it a bit exciting closer to the Draft Date. How close we do it and how we do it is up to the 15 participants. Let the discussion begin.

Look for the email shortly, once I thaw out from this -15 start to the day. :roll: Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 am

C'mon Massotto! This live KDS day of the day of the draft crap is just a ruse of yours to level the playing field. You figure since you can't get a permit to bring your dart throwing monkey to the Bellagio to help you prep then NO ONE should be able to ! Thing is Massotto we don't use monkeys like you do and would like to know in advance.
Attachments
dart-throwing-monkey.jpg
Massotto senior staffer working on his latest DC
dart-throwing-monkey.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 6233 times

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 am

Zing! :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 am

Quahogs wrote:C'mon Massotto! This live KDS day of the day of the draft crap is just a ruse of yours to level the playing field. You figure since you can't get a permit to bring your dart throwing monkey to the Bellagio to help you prep then NO ONE should be able to ! Thing is Massotto we don't use monkeys like you do and would like to know in advance.
Sorry, but the rules are the rules. And as I recall, Greg was adamant about changing them at all for last year's second Diamond, so there is no reason that it should be fair to me and others who signed up for this event as it was listed that he should start changing them now after the fact. If both you and your partner don't have the balls, skills, or the ability to hack it, there is always the Diamond the next day for which I'm sure you will have weeks of advanced planning for with your nice, cozy KDS done for you far in advance. Are you going to seriously say that me of all people, an obviously inferior player as compared to most other competitors in the NFBC, was able to win a high stakes, high dollar competition against competition that was arguably equal to or better than those signed up here for the Platinum with a live KDS drawing the day of the draft, but you can't?!. You are truly slipping my friend. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get the gorilla down off the building so that we can go back to our dart-throwing draft prep. :roll:

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 am

=]"Baseball Furies" Are you going to seriously say that me of all people, an obviously inferior player as compared to most other competitors in the NFBC, was able to win a high stakes, high dollar competition against competition that was arguably equal to or better than those signed up here for the Platinum with a live KDS drawing the day of the draft, but you can't?!.
True dat! That win was like lightening out of a clear blue sky. Caught ALL of us by surprise. Especially considering your showing/results the 1st weekend out in Vegas. It's like you came back to the 2nd weekend in NYC with everyone's playbook from Vegas... hey, wait a minute... :lol:

Massotto dumpster diving behind the Bellagio for discarded cheat sheets !
Attachments
dumpster-diving.jpg
dumpster-diving.jpg (107.47 KiB) Viewed 6207 times

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 am

I'd like it done as close to 3/29/14 at 6pm PDT as possible.

As a compromise, perhaps we can do it at the NCAA Viewing Party on Thursday night. Ideally, all 15 teams could have representation at the event. Pick your spot based not only on the remaining draft position, but who actually holds the spot(s) in front (or behind) you.

Edit: To clarify I would like this done LIVE, with spots picked as the KDS numbers are drawn. Best and fairest way to do it. Whenever we can all get together and do this, let's make it happen. Even if most of us are in the room, the one or two "stragglers" could be reached via cellphone.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Agree with Glenn.

Bama

Post by Bama » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 pm

King of Queens wrote:I'd like it done as close to 3/29/14 at 6pm PDT as possible.

As a compromise, perhaps we can do it at the NCAA Viewing Party on Thursday night. Ideally, all 15 teams could have representation at the event. Pick your spot based not only on the remaining draft position, but who actually holds the spot(s) in front (or behind) you.

Edit: To clarify I would like this done LIVE, with spots picked as the KDS numbers are drawn. Best and fairest way to do it. Whenever we can all get together and do this, let's make it happen. Even if most of us are in the room, the one or two "stragglers" could be reached via cellphone.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this. Much more important to me to have a choice of who im sitting by than some positon in a draft hoping for a certain player in the first rd that may or may not be there. The closer to the draft as possible to consider the latest news that might come out.

Purple Helmets

Post by Purple Helmets » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Sorry, but the rules are the rules. And as I recall, Greg was adamant about changing them at all for last year's second Diamond, so there is no reason that it should be fair to me and others who signed up for this event as it was listed that he should start changing them now after the fact. If both you and your partner don't have the balls, skills, or the ability to hack it, there is always the Diamond the next day for which I'm sure you will have weeks of advanced planning for with your nice, cozy KDS done for you far in advance. Are you going to seriously say that me of all people, an obviously inferior player as compared to most other competitors in the NFBC, was able to win a high stakes, high dollar competition against competition that was arguably equal to or better than those signed up here for the Platinum with a live KDS drawing the day of the draft, but you can't?!. You are truly slipping my friend. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get the gorilla down off the building so that we can go back to our dart-throwing draft prep.

I read this and it takes me back to 5th grade...maybe 4th.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 pm

Purple Helmets wrote:Sorry, but the rules are the rules. And as I recall, Greg was adamant about changing them at all for last year's second Diamond, so there is no reason that it should be fair to me and others who signed up for this event as it was listed that he should start changing them now after the fact. If both you and your partner don't have the balls, skills, or the ability to hack it, there is always the Diamond the next day for which I'm sure you will have weeks of advanced planning for with your nice, cozy KDS done for you far in advance. Are you going to seriously say that me of all people, an obviously inferior player as compared to most other competitors in the NFBC, was able to win a high stakes, high dollar competition against competition that was arguably equal to or better than those signed up here for the Platinum with a live KDS drawing the day of the draft, but you can't?!. You are truly slipping my friend. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get the gorilla down off the building so that we can go back to our dart-throwing draft prep.

I read this and it takes me back to 5th grade...maybe 4th.
Nice to be able to wax nostalgic though, isn't it? :mrgreen:

I swear, if some you guys were anymore serious, you'd be made of Formica. Translation: That's pretty stiff and solid if you catch the way I'm drifting. :roll:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks to everyone who responded yesterday to our email. Almost every single owner has responded and made their feelings known. That helps and it's a great starting point to know what everyone wants. Look for a followup email today as we come to a consensus here. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I thought I'd resurrect this thread in case anyone had anything else to add to the kds discussion. The non stop e-mails with "reply to all" is out of control.

I'm pretty sure that Greg is just going to make a decision and that will be that. Fortunately I'm not one that really cares either way. I hope it works out the best it can for all involved.
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Money wrote:I thought I'd resurrect this thread in case anyone had anything else to add to the kds discussion. The non stop e-mails with "reply to all" is out of control.

I'm pretty sure that Greg is just going to make a decision and that will be that. Fortunately I'm not one that really cares either way. I hope it works out the best it can for all involved.
I will make a final decision and that will be that. It's all good. As stated in the rules, we've all agreed to select draft spots that weekend and we will. And once I determine what date is best, we'll have a fun selection process and a GREAT league. End of discussion. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Money wrote:I thought I'd resurrect this thread in case anyone had anything else to add to the kds discussion. The non stop e-mails with "reply to all" is out of control.

I will make a final decision and that will be that. It's all good. As stated in the rules, we've all agreed to select draft spots that weekend and we will. And once I determine what date is best, we'll have a fun selection process and a GREAT league. End of discussion. Thanks all.
End of discussion?!! Now how the hell is that any fun? I think we should open it up to everyone on the boards for the next few weeks to take a vote see what they decide on when we should have our live KDS drawing. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I truly wish that I could post all of the back and forth that has been going on behind the scenes among us Platinum competitors for the rest of our NFBC brethren to read. It's classic shit that you cannot make up. You've never heard a group of grown men so stressed, twisted, angry, annoyed, hostile, antagonistic, peeved, agitated, irked, and hysterically at each other's throats over the minutia of trying to decide on when to pick a friggin' draft order in a way so everyone is satisfied. At least Greg is going to step in in a vain attempt to now to un-bunch everyone's respective panties. My PSYOPS game is already in full throttle and we haven't even arrived in Vegas yet. I love it! :lol:

In this photo: Jim Stanard when asked to comment on the Platinum Draft KDS debate

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated in the debut NFBC Platinum League. It was a fun draft, a fun draft spot drawing and I know the rest of the season will be fun. Well, that's easy for me to say since I didn't plunk down $20,000 for a spot at the table, but I still think it will be fun!! :mrgreen:

Good luck to everyone in this league.

Before the draft selection process there was a recommendation to use FAAB money to determine the draft spots in this league starting in 2015. I have no problem with that and it sure seemed like the consensus wanted that as well. If we agree to that, we'll put that in the NFBC Platinum rules for 2015.

However, then we all have to agree to be at the Thursday Night Party to make those bids. Or we could do blind bids, but I don't think that's what everyone wants. And if we award the bids on Thursday Night, then are we making that owner make his pick then? That doesn't seem like what we want to do, especially with this league likely being broadcast on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports radio going forward (if not TV in the near future).

After talking with several owners, they liked knowing their spots on Thursday rather than Saturday night minutes before the draft. So I propose if we use FAAB for draft spots, doing this all together on Thursday night in Las Vegas and NOT having owners make their selection at that time makes the most sense. You are bidding for remaining draft spots not knowing who is going ahead of you.

Let the discussion begin there and see where this goes. Then we'll put it in the rules going forward. Let's see your feedback.

And for those folks already signed up for the NFFC Platinum League, do we need this in place there as well or does Third Round Reversal already make the selection process interesting enough? I'll start that conversation over there now. Thanks all and good luck in this year's league.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Daveclum

Post by Daveclum » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:34 pm

On one hand it seems you want to make this a big event comparable to the world series of poker. On the other hand people who are in to this stuff are not permitted to watch.

jim.s

Post by jim.s » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 pm

First -- I would strongly prefer to know my draft slot more than a week before -- just like the main event.

Have an online chat room (or phone) auction one to two weeks before the draft. Someone nominates a spot (eg pick #1) and there is an auction for that. Next person nominates next pick to bid on etc. -- just like a player auction. The nomination order can be set randomly. KJ ran private keeper leagues where this system works great.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 am

jim.s wrote:First -- I would strongly prefer to know my draft slot more than a week before -- just like the main event.

Have an online chat room (or phone) auction one to two weeks before the draft. Someone nominates a spot (eg pick #1) and there is an auction for that. Next person nominates next pick to bid on etc. -- just like a player auction. The nomination order can be set randomly. KJ ran private keeper leagues where this system works great.
Good point JS, happy to ramp up the chat room to accomodate slot bidding for the PT/DMD leagues, same as the contract league.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:43 am

Daveclum wrote:On one hand it seems you want to make this a big event comparable to the world series of poker. On the other hand people who are in to this stuff are not permitted to watch.
You're right Dave, next year we should have a bleacher section ... as the last draft of the weekend there's no reason not to allow spectators if anyone wants to watch, it would only add to the fun of the event.

jim.s

Post by jim.s » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 am

Concerning spectators, I wouldn't mind, but they would need to be QUIET -- like at tennis, or golf events -- which would make it boring for them. I think it would be better to set up a second room that shows the draft board, but would allow talking and commentary. They do this at bridge and chess tournaments.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:10 am

jim.s wrote:Concerning spectators, I wouldn't mind, but they would need to be QUIET -- like at tennis, or golf events -- which would make it boring for them. I think it would be better to set up a second room that shows the draft board, but would allow talking and commentary. They do this at bridge and chess tournaments.
There's actually spectators at bridge tournaments? :shock:

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 am

Attachments
Ricoh+Women+British+Open+Day+Three+GhBLXySZQgwl.jpg
Ricoh+Women+British+Open+Day+Three+GhBLXySZQgwl.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 5415 times