Win $200,000 In The Debut NFBC Platinum League

Tom Kessenich

Re: Win $200,000 In The Debut NFBC Platinum League

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am

Good thing we didn't give Britney a Quiet Please paddle in the Vegas suite. Some of you guys may not have gotten out of their alive.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

coldwater coyotes

Post by coldwater coyotes » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks to everybody for being so welcoming to my son.
He has changed our team name from Coldwater Coyotes to "Upton or Hawkins" .. Hawkins being the maiden name of my wife.
(We do have Hawkins on our team).

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:16 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Daveclum wrote:On one hand it seems you want to make this a big event comparable to the world series of poker. On the other hand people who are in to this stuff are not permitted to watch.
You're right Dave, next year we should have a bleacher section ... as the last draft of the weekend there's no reason not to allow spectators if anyone wants to watch, it would only add to the fun of the event.
This is what I love about this league: Opinions are as far ranging on draft selections as it is on player projections. Some folks are asking for draft spots two weeks in advance and others want them on the night of the draft. Some folks want spectators and others want complete quiet. I don't see this being a spectator event as it was already pretty loud in that room without anyone watching.

I know that Dave and many others wanted to come in and watch the Platinum draft that night. We could have had 100 people watching that draft after the Main Event. But you want a smaller boardroom to make the Platinum draft intimate and to allow everyone to hear the picks clearly. I think we did that, while still allowing SiriusXM to see the draft results and comment on them in an adjacent room. I think we can show folks this league online and on the radio without interrupting the live drafters. But it's tough to do that with a live audience or folks commenting in the background on every pick.

The key is to make sure the folks who are plunking down $20,000 per team aren't interrupted or are in a tough setting to even hear every pick. We'll see how this all progresses through the years and if this eventually progresses toward TV coverage and a live audience. Maybe it will happen that way. But for now we envision a similar setup next year to what we had this year with it still being a private draft with only the participants and workers.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:41 pm

The Peanut Gallery

Statler: "Well, there is nothing like a good pick..."
Waldorf: "And that was nothing like a good pick!"
Statler and Waldorf: "HeeHeeHeeHeeHee!"
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Money

Post by Money » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: Before the draft selection process there was a recommendation to use FAAB money to determine the draft spots in this league starting in 2015. I have no problem with that and it sure seemed like the consensus wanted that as well. If we agree to that, we'll put that in the NFBC Platinum rules for 2015.

However, then we all have to agree to be at the Thursday Night Party to make those bids. Or we could do blind bids, but I don't think that's what everyone wants.
With the Tigers rainout today and short schedule I'm bored and figured I'd chime in here. I was not part of the conversation at the Thursday party. I speak only behalf of myself and not Chad on this one because I have no idea where he stands on this.

I oppose the FAAB auction for draft positions. I guess I'm a traditionalist. To me FAAB is for securing free agents during the season and has nothing to do with draft positions.

With that said, if that is the direction that this goes, I will only support it if this is a blind auction, just as FAAB is. Why would you change the blind part of it for this purpose? FAAB is a calculated gamble, why should this be different? Have it go blind and roll our the positions in the order of the bids, highest to lowest.

Once again, I'm opposed to using this process at all. That in itself should get most to support it. :)

All right, back to the few games on the slate tonight.
Joe

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Money wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: Before the draft selection process there was a recommendation to use FAAB money to determine the draft spots in this league starting in 2015. I have no problem with that and it sure seemed like the consensus wanted that as well. If we agree to that, we'll put that in the NFBC Platinum rules for 2015.

However, then we all have to agree to be at the Thursday Night Party to make those bids. Or we could do blind bids, but I don't think that's what everyone wants.
With the Tigers rainout today and short schedule I'm bored and figured I'd chime in here. I was not part of the conversation at the Thursday party. I speak only behalf of myself and not Chad on this one because I have no idea where he stands on this.

I oppose the FAAB auction for draft positions. I guess I'm a traditionalist. To me FAAB is for securing free agents during the season and has nothing to do with draft positions.

With that said, if that is the direction that this goes, I will only support it if this is a blind auction, just as FAAB is. Why would you change the blind part of it for this purpose? FAAB is a calculated gamble, why should this be different? Have it go blind and roll our the positions in the order of the bids, highest to lowest.

Once again, I'm opposed to using this process at all. That in itself should get most to support it. :)

All right, back to the few games on the slate tonight.
Someday I hope to have enough $$$ to do this,but to chime in anyway ;). I love the idea of faab for draft order. When trout goes 50/50 for several years there should be a"cost" to getting a super elite player

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Im not in favor of the faab for draft spots either and spoke with with a couple of other owners other than joe who were less than luke warm to the idea so that should seal the fate of this discussion. I thought the live Kds was pretty good after some of the guys who were a little tense about spots got on Greg''s nevres a little. Always thought that Kds is the fairiest way to do spots and doing it live can become an event unto itself.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:33 pm

Bama wrote:Im not in favor of the faab for draft spots either and spoke with with a couple of other owners other than joe who were less than luke warm to the idea so that should seal the fate of this discussion. I thought the live Kds was pretty good after some of the guys who were a little tense about spots got on Greg''s nevres a little. Always thought that Kds is the fairiest way to do spots and doing it live can become an event unto itself.
No way random selection is the "fairest"way - it's the preference of those who hope to get lucky. Huge, huge, huge edge at the top this year and that should not be left be chance with $200k on the line. Live bidding makes for an even better event.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:40 am

I'm with KJ 100% on this one.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:55 am

I'm with KJ as well. I would imagine with so much invested and so much to play for, we'd all want as much control over our outcomes as possible. Anything that reduces the "luck" factor in a league like this has my backing.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:01 am

Spend all your faab on a good pick. half of it on a pick you don't particularly like or just take the f'n 15th pick. great system. excuse me if I don't like it.

lschechter

Post by lschechter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:07 am

I didn't scroll back too far, so I apologize if this was already answered...

For the bidding for draft spot idea, I could see having an auction for the #1 spot...then a new auction for the #2 spot...then new bidding for #3, etc....but if you used blind bids, wouldn't you also have to have separate blind bids for the #1 spot, #2 spot, etc.?

For example, I might be willing to pay a high bid for the #1 spot...but if I wasn't the winner--and suppose I was third highest--
I don't want to be stuck paying that same amount for #3

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 am

Bama wrote: or just take the f'n 15th pick.
Exactly what I did. Chose the 15th pick...because there were no choices. :evil:

Every year is different. Last year I really wanted a pick in the 10-11-12 range, and was able to secure that in all my leagues. This year, pretty much everyone wanted a top pick. If not #1, then a pick early in the 1st round. Look at the way KDS went down for this league. Every owner, with the exception of one, took the highest possible draft slot. I think that's pretty telling.

Any system that gives people more control will have my vote. To be honest, I think this is pretty much a no-brainer.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:16 am

lschechter wrote:I didn't scroll back too far, so I apologize if this was already answered...

For the bidding for draft spot idea, I could see having an auction for the #1 spot...then a new auction for the #2 spot...then new bidding for #3, etc....but if you used blind bids, wouldn't you also have to have separate blind bids for the #1 spot, #2 spot, etc.?

For example, I might be willing to pay a high bid for the #1 spot...but if I wasn't the winner--and suppose I was third highest--
I would think the bidding would have to be similar to what is done for the football Gridiron or in KJ's MLBC leagues.
Live bidding until everyone but the winner drops out and that's the price in FAAB.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:17 am

lschechter wrote:I didn't scroll back too far, so I apologize if this was already answered...

Good point, Larry. It should be 15 separate open auctions for each slot, starting with #1 and working down to #15.

lschechter

Post by lschechter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 am

either that or 15 separate blind bids.

Which leads to this hugely important question...for spot #15 do you get it for free or have to bid $1??? :-)

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:33 am

I think that once you reach a point where no one is willing to bid for spots, you simply revert to "KDS by baseball draw" at no added FAAB cost.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 am

King of Queens wrote:
Bama wrote: or just take the f'n 15th pick.
Exactly what I did. Chose the 15th pick...because there were no choices. :evil:

Every year is different. Last year I really wanted a pick in the 10-11-12 range, and was able to secure that in all my leagues. This year, pretty much everyone wanted a top pick. If not #1, then a pick early in the 1st round. Look at the way KDS went down for this league. Every owner, with the exception of one, took the highest possible draft slot. I think that's pretty telling.

Any system that gives people more control will have my vote. To be honest, I think this is pretty much a no-brainer.
King, no one has ever accused me of having a brain. I say play the game, kids is part of our game and the way everyone plays it in the NFBC. I don't see a reason to change. Last years Main Event winner opted out of the number 2 hole in this league.

This is much to do about nothing at this point as we have an entire season in front of us. Now, more importantly, Mr.Lowy have you heard of any FAAB updates?
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 am

Whatever we decide for the draft selection process will be decided on early enough to get it down in the rules in November. And that's what we'll go with it. Those signing up for the Platinum will know this selection process well in advance. We'll agree to FAAB bidding for draft spots or Brittany picking them again in the Bellagio suite. Either way works for us.

The new FAAB setup is on track to debut yet for your bids this weekend. Hopefully very soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Whatever we decide for the draft selection process will be decided on early enough to get it down in the rules in November. And that's what we'll go with it. Those signing up for the Platinum will know this selection process well in advance. We'll agree to FAAB bidding for draft spots or Brittany picking them again in the Bellagio suite. Either way works for us.

The new FAAB setup is on track to debut yet for your bids this weekend. Hopefully very soon.

Will the info I've already put in FAAB carry over to the new setup automatically? If not, please DO NOT switch it over until next week. I will be unhappy if I need to start the FAAB process over again tomorrow.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 am

Is there a link in which we can follow the standings in this league? I followed the draft online and would be interested in checking out the standings time to time especially since i had liked a few teams after the draft especially that of Glenn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 am

Hells Satans wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:Whatever we decide for the draft selection process will be decided on early enough to get it down in the rules in November. And that's what we'll go with it. Those signing up for the Platinum will know this selection process well in advance. We'll agree to FAAB bidding for draft spots or Brittany picking them again in the Bellagio suite. Either way works for us.

Will the info I've already put in FAAB carry over to the new setup automatically? If not, please DO NOT switch it over until next week. I will be unhappy if I need to start the FAAB process over again tomorrow.
Yes, it carries over. You can see that now as the new FAAB setup is live.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 am

Wolfpac wrote:Is there a link in which we can follow the standings in this league? I followed the draft online and would be interested in checking out the standings time to time especially since i had liked a few teams after the draft especially that of Glenn
If you have an NFBC team, you now have access to look at any league standings. Just go to Standings in the green navigational bar, pull down to League and then you'll see a pop-up window right under the header "League Standings". Pull down to the Platinum League and see those standings every day. It's a very nice setup.

As expected, this is a very close league already, with Will Tyrer leading with 105.5 points. This is going to be a battle right down to the last pitch.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:14 am

Wolfpac wrote:Is there a link in which we can follow the standings in this league? I followed the draft online and would be interested in checking out the standings time to time especially since i had liked a few teams after the draft especially that of Glenn
Which Glenn? If it's Glenn Schroter's team, then I agree.
If it's the other Glenn.... :shock: , I'm sorry to hear that for the sake of your teams. :?

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:21 am

Not a participant in this league but I do know most of the players and have run and created leagues for years including the original league that the GridIron was based on so let me just add a few points
1) put me in the camp with not wanting to use FAAB dollars for draft slots
2) I think in the really BIG money leagues like this there should be bidding for the draft slots, but
3) owners should be willing to use real money to do so - it may cost and additional two, three, even five thousand to secure the first and/or second draft slot but no one who is paying a league fee of $20K should be bothered about that - in football the two things were almost equal (bids for 1st pick and basic league fee) - here it would be ten to twenty percent, much more reasonable but some owners could do both for $20,001

and Yes to answer a previous question there would be a $1 minimum bid for any slot