Live Chat With Greg & Tom, Friday, 3 pm ET

Greg Ambrosius

Live Chat With Greg & Tom, Friday, 3 pm ET

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am

It's the weather. I blame this terrible, terrible winter on my intense desire to get out of Wisconsin and somewhere that I can see sunshine, green grass and blue skies. I will do just about anything to get out of this gray, snow-covered area!!!

Unfortunately, I'm stuck in front of this computer for a few more weeks. LABR is 3 weeks away, so I need to hang in there until I get to Phoenix. Shawn and I also have a LABR NL title to defend and this year we're going for titles in the AL and NL!!! We've finished 1st and 2nd the last two years in the NL, but we haven't been close in the AL these last two years. Time to turn that around.

Okay, Shawn has agreed to do a Live Chat in two weeks. Until then, you're stuck with me and Tom. We know you're hovering around the boards, so that must mean you have questions. Feel free to post any question you have here and we'll answer as time permits. We'll then jump online for an hour tomorrow for a Live Chat, but feel free to post questions ahead of time. We are here all day, preparing for our STATS Fantasy Advantage show tonight on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio.

And welcome to all of the new NFBC members who are participating in our $150 Draft Champions leagues. Look at the list of signups and you'll see a lot of new members there. Give them a hearty welcome and treat them nice in the DCs!!! Welcome all.

Okay, what do you have for us?
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Re: Live Chat With Greg & Tom, Thursday, 3 pm ET

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 am

Is Wil Myers severely undervalued. The GG supercomputer has him providing 3rd round value (with potential of 1st round numbers) this year at the current price point of a 5th rounder

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:22 am

Gekko wrote:Is Wil Myers severely undervalued. The GG supercomputer has him providing 3rd round value (with potential of 1st round numbers) this year at the current price point of a 5th rounder
I'm a big Wil Myers fan, so I'd love to say I agree with you. Anyone who goes old school with no batting gloves is cool with me. But I actually think his ADP of 68 and the 21st OF being drafted is pretty strong. I wouldn't move him up at all and I'm not sure he will go any higher before March.

Why do I say that? While there's a lot to like about Myers, he strikes out so much that repeating that .293 average is going to be tough. His BABIP was .362 last year and as teams position him better his average could go down. The average is more of a concern for me than anything else, even though he did hit for good average in the minors. I think he's a legitimate 20+ home run hitter and he could easily reach 90 RBIs, but stolen bases will likely be 10 or less and he doesn't score a lot of runs. Can he hit .280-22-90-8 with 80 runs? Absolutely. But without more speed and runs, he's not a third-rounder in my book just yet. But his time is coming, for sure.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 am

Greg,

Rank these five pitchers:

T. Walker
D. Salazar
G. Cole
S. Gray
Cingrani

Also, do you think any/all will have an innings restriction and would it effect where you would draft them?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 am

Greg and/or Tom,

Which of these guys do you see being up before the All-Star Break?

J. Singleton
G. Springer
M. Semien
J. Marisnick
M. Choice
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:02 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:Greg,

T. Walker
D. Salazar
G. Cole
S. Gray
Cingrani

Also, do you think any/all will have an innings restriction and would it effect where you would draft them?
Jeff hiding his favorite one at the bottom!!! LOL

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 am

In football you guys changed the pre-draft settings to incorporate ranking by position and being able to import to all the other drafts. This made it very easy to draft online and do multiple slow drafts at the same time as if you spend 2-3 hours updating it by position you would have everything you needed right in front of you without having to refer to other prep materials. It's nearly impossible to rank 750 players in order of preference as you draft by position need a lot of the time. This is preventing me from signing up for multiple online events, is this something that will be addressed before the slow draft season is over?

Thanks,
Mike

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:Greg,

T. Walker
D. Salazar
G. Cole
S. Gray
Cingrani

Cole is an easy one at the top of that list for me, Jeff. He's got the power arm and he showed last year that he has ace potential. For 2014, I really like his makeup, the team he's on and that lively arm.

Salazar may have an even livelier arm and he would be my second choice. He has the skills to excel right now.

I like Gray and Cingrani in that order, but not by much. I'd love to see if Cingrani has added anything this off-season. With a better off-speed pitch, he could be awesome. But he definitely needs that secondary pitch.

Walker is as good as any long-term and I think he will be solid this year. I like him and James Paxton this year. But if anyone is getting an innings limit, it will be Walker. Still, all of these guys can go 180+ innings this year.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Greg and/or Tom,

Which of these guys do you see being up before the All-Star Break?

J. Singleton
G. Springer
M. Semien
J. Marisnick
M. Choice
Springer, Springer, Springer!!! What do the Astros have to lose by even starting the season with him in right field? If he's not up before June 1st I will berate the Astros mercilessly. Bring him up and watch this kid excel.

I think Singleton has the ability to be a good first baseman, but he deserves to get his act together in the minors first. I'd leave him down there for much of the season. I think Marisnick will be a solid pro, but why not give him a full year at Triple-A. What's the rush with him? Hell, he's only 22.

Choice could definitely be up before the All-Star break. That outfield is injury prone and he's put his time in at Triple-A. No doubt he could get called up and fill in nicely. Semien is ready for the bigs too if an injury happens, but he needs that opening first.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 am

edelman24 wrote:In football you guys changed the pre-draft settings to incorporate ranking by position and being able to import to all the other drafts. This made it very easy to draft online and do multiple slow drafts at the same time as if you spend 2-3 hours updating it by position you would have everything you needed right in front of you without having to refer to other prep materials. It's nearly impossible to rank 750 players in order of preference as you draft by position need a lot of the time. This is preventing me from signing up for multiple online events, is this something that will be addressed before the slow draft season is over?

Thanks,
Mike
It's the next item we are releasing Mike. I should know by tomorrow when it will be done, but it's very soon. It will include all of the features we had in football so that you can easily set this one player default listing and then copy it over easily to every other NFBC online draft. It's coming; in fact, I know it's coming soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 am

Greg/Tom

When shoveling, do you prefer the standard straight handle model or the new-fangled ergonomic type?
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 am

ToddZ wrote:Greg/Tom

When shoveling, do you prefer the standard straight handle model or the new-fangled ergonomic type?
A snowblower.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
edelman24 wrote:In football you guys changed the pre-draft settings to incorporate ranking by position and being able to import to all the other drafts. This made it very easy to draft online and do multiple slow drafts at the same time as if you spend 2-3 hours updating it by position you would have everything you needed right in front of you without having to refer to other prep materials. It's nearly impossible to rank 750 players in order of preference as you draft by position need a lot of the time. This is preventing me from signing up for multiple online events, is this something that will be addressed before the slow draft season is over?

Thanks,
Mike
It's the next item we are releasing Mike. I should know by tomorrow when it will be done, but it's very soon. It will include all of the features we had in football so that you can easily set this one player default listing and then copy it over easily to every other NFBC online draft. It's coming; in fact, I know it's coming soon.
Everyone has their own way if doing this, but I have never imported rankings or even set rankings within the draft room. Maybe I'm missing something? You could always use a spreadsheet Mike!

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 am

Or you could ALWAYS ask for a printout from the Gekko Super Computer!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:42 am

Has Tracy McGrady been added to the DC Draft rooms yet?
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:43 am

of course I could Mark and I do plenty of them how else could I keep up with you...however I can't handle doing 20 drafts at once like you do using paper or spreadsheets, I would much rather set it up online and not have to worry about checking anything once the draft starts. I can draft from my phone and not have to search for a player since my rankings would be there, it's the simplest way.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Joe Sambito wrote:Has Tracy McGrady been added to the DC Draft rooms yet?
Right after Russell Wilson.

Subscribe HERE

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Sure, kick a man in the nuts when he's down!!! :lol: This is THE WINTER FROM HELL!!

It's the snowblower at home, but this year that's not even enough. I need a four-wheeler with a plow in the front. That's my next new toy.

I bought one of those stupid ergonomic shovels a few years back and I hated it so much I never used it. When Tom and I moved into this office in Iola I brought in and told Tom "there, now we have a shovel for our front sidewalk." Little did I know how much I'd have to use that stupid shovel. I still hate it, but it's right at the front door, 6 months a year. I leave it outside, just hoping someone will steal it. :lol: Nobody has. Everyone in this town has their own stupid ergonomic shovel.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Gekko wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Thanks,
Mike
Everyone has their own way if doing this, but I have never imported rankings or even set rankings within the draft room. Maybe I'm missing something? You could always use a spreadsheet Mike!
I think you'll like this feature a lot. We had it in football and once you set your default rankings they are there for you in every online draft you enter. Then before your next draft you can just tweak your rankings slightly and save them and import those new rankings to your next draft. For a guy like you who does so many DCs, you should definitely do this. Your players will always be right there in the player default listings, waiting to be picked.

Right now it's too much work to do that in our Draft Prep. But this new one will be fun and easy. Look for it soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 pm

ToddZ wrote:
Joe Sambito wrote:Has Tracy McGrady been added to the DC Draft rooms yet?
Right after Russell Wilson.
No and no. ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Greg and Tom - I've got a few for you.

1. You've either missed or intentionally passed on the group of elite relief pitchers that get drafted real early (Kimbrel, Jansen, Chapman, Holland, Rosenthal). Who are the middle-of-the-pack relief pitchers that you think will produce strong value compared to their draft position?

2. Which players in the first round or two do you think have the biggest "bust" potential unrelated to injury?

3. Which players not being taken in the first five or six rounds do you think have a chance to be first round selections next year?

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Sure, kick a man in the nuts when he's down!!! :lol: This is THE WINTER FROM HELL!!

It's the snowblower at home, but this year that's not even enough. I need a four-wheeler with a plow in the front. That's my next new toy.

I bought one of those stupid ergonomic shovels a few years back and I hated it so much I never used it. When Tom and I moved into this office in Iola I brought in and told Tom "there, now we have a shovel for our front sidewalk." Little did I know how much I'd have to use that stupid shovel. I still hate it, but it's right at the front door, 6 months a year. I leave it outside, just hoping someone will steal it. :lol: Nobody has. Everyone in this town has their own stupid ergonomic shovel.
Hey, it's not like I've been totally devoid of this white crap! And since I moved out of the basement, I no longer have my 14 year nephew with his toy to do the dirty work - only one of those crappy ergonomic shovels.

Subscribe HERE

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Close your eye ,Think West Palm Beach Florida and spring training...then click your heels three times...by the way it was 83 here today.. it rained.....hard...or scottie beam him out of there...

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 pm

ToddZ wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Hey, it's not like I've been totally devoid of this white crap! And since I moved out of the basement, I no longer have my 14 year nephew with his toy to do the dirty work - only one of those crappy ergonomic shovels.

Greg, Your not along on the SNOW front.... Last year I bought a new house with a 20 car driveway in North Jersey. Not worried about snow, I've got 3 snow-blower, 2large 6hp, and 1 smaller 5hp. nothing to worry about. Takes 3-4 hours to clear everything, but I am also on a main road so the snow plows are not my friends. Well today we get 6 inches of snow with about 1 inch of ice on top. Five minutes into snow-blowing the clutch goes out on the snow-blower blades, ok go to back up snow-blower. About 20 minute in the choke starts sticking and them the pull cord breaks, now I have an electric start, but it stall like every 5 minutes and the only plug is at the bottom of the driveway. So let go to the little snow-blower, It runs 10 minutes and the chain breaks. 0 for 3 against snow today. Now if I play my cards right and bitch enough about the snow-blowers , I can talk the wife into let me buy a 4- wheeler /with a plow on it. New Toy......Maybe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:50 am

Yikes, Roy!! Your on-base percentage with snowblowers yesterday was not good. It looks like the East Coast got the worse of the storm yesterday. Just brutal pictures from Pennsylvania and other places. Good luck everyone out there. Nothing worse than ice and snow, followed by sub-freezing temperatures for the next couple of days. I hope everyone gets power restored soon.

I think the whole country is ready for spring and baseball. Let's thaw things out today with a Live Chat and see if collectively we can't start warming things up. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius