Billy Hamilton

ikenbaseball

Billy Hamilton

Post by ikenbaseball » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:59 am

"Billy Hamilton has been scratched from the Reds starting lineup on Saturday due to a jammed left middle finger."

How appropriate for us Hamilton owners!! :?

Krys

KJ Duke

Re: Billy Hamilton

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:18 pm

ikenbaseball wrote:"Billy Hamilton has been scratched from the Reds starting lineup on Saturday due to a jammed left middle finger."

How appropriate for us Hamilton owners!! :?

Krys
Yes, right back at ya Billy !

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:44 pm

anyone paying attention knew hamilton was a landmine this year!!! LOL

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Gekko wrote:anyone paying attention knew hamilton was a landmine this year!!! LOL
We'll see, Mr. Schandler. :P

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Gekko wrote:anyone paying attention knew hamilton was a landmine this year!!! LOL
What an incredibly bold statement 6 days into the season!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:24 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:
0-26 on GG teams, so i've held that belief throughout the entire offseason as well :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Gekko wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:
0-26 on GG teams, so i've held that belief throughout the entire offseason as well :D
I don't have Hamilton on any of my teams either, but drafting Hamilton was a play to win move and I can respect that.

Also just because one didn't draft Hamilton doesn't necessarily equate to one not believing he'd produce. The type of player Hamilton is required you to build your team around that one player. Many didn't feel comfortable doing that, I for one.

That said and as my neighbor pointed out, it's early. Let's give it more than one partial week before we deem the Hamilton experiment a failure. Even though as a non-owner, I wouldn't mind if he was.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:43 pm

'a play to win' move? LOL

as if taking someone else was 'a play to not win' move!! :lol:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Gekko wrote:'a play to win' move? LOL

as if taking someone else was 'a play to not win' move!! :lol:
What I meant (and I'm sure you realize what I meant) is that there were certainly safer players to take in those spots and safer strategies to follow than to build around a rookie with severe contact rate issues. However if he comes through and the team is built correctly around him (no easy task), it can be a winning play in lieu of a safe one.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 pm

looks like i'm gonna get burnt on Avisail Garcia. benched vs lefty. DOA

common theme emerging, don't draft the hype guys like hamilton and garcia. stick with the steady eddies :twisted:

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:07 pm

I drafted Hamilton once in one of the final DC's late in Spring.

Hamilton "fell" to me in the 5th round and I thought that he was best player on the board for that particular round and that particular team makeup. In this draft, I didn't want to play it safe but rather take some calculated risks.
I started my draft with Trout, Desmond, Joe Fernandez, Marte, Hamilton. Then I loaded up on power/average based players later on in the draft. i.e Billy Butler, Aaron Hill

I drafted 2 Main Events teams. In both drafts I had a plan in place based on my draft positions. If he dropped into the 5/6 round range and the makeup of my team to that point warranted, I would have considered drafted him.

Luckily for me, he was picked in the 3/4 rounds in both drafts. I wasn't really upset that he was taken, but rather a little relieved because the decision was already made for me.

Obviously, if he got off to a Emilio Bonifacio-like start, my feelings/post would be different. The season is long and unpredictable.
But right now I feel fortunate that I Hamilton didn't "fall" to me.

Krys

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 pm

If you don't draft rookies, you don't have these problems.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:11 pm

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:If you don't draft rookies, you don't have these problems.
guess i could have refrained from drafting jose fernandez last year and evan gattis and just drafted old vet RA Dickey! :lol:

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Billy is 0-12 vs Wainwright, Wacha and Miller. The rest of the team hit .212 against these pitchers.

Of Hamilton's 6 balls hit in play, you'd expect 2 to go for hits. If they sneak thru, he's hitting .167.
For the rest of the team, they had 2.5 hits per 12 abs in these games.
Flattening things out with expected BABIP, he is appx one-half hit short of the rest of his team in 3 games.

Time to hit the panic button? No. But go ahead and place your Schandler-esque "I told so posts" or two after 3 games, it can only help. :P
Last edited by KJ Duke on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Gekko wrote:
TOXIC ASSETS wrote:If you don't draft rookies, you don't have these problems.
guess i could have refrained from drafting jose fernandez last year and evan gattis and just drafted old vet RA Dickey! :lol:
Exactly. Remember that thread last year about how people overspent in picking up Fernandez as a free agent in week 1? uh huh
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 pm

R.A. Dickey -- now there is my type of guy and a knuckleballer to boot. Seem to get him every year and I did again this year on 1 of my 2 teams. The old guy got it done in today's game. Love it!
-------------------------------
Time to panic on Hamilton --- not yet. That will be when he's sent down to AAA.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 pm

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:R.A. Dickey -- now there is my type of guy and a knuckleballer to boot. Seem to get him every year and I did again this year on 1 of my 2 teams. The old guy got it done in today's game. Love it!
-------------------------------
Time to panic on Hamilton --- not yet. That will be when he's sent down to AAA.
Brilliance on your part. How did that work out for you last year?

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:23 pm

You know as soon as you sit Hamilton, he'll get 10 SB that week! Unless he's benched or like was mentioned, sent down to the minors, I'll be playing him. I am happy I only drafted him in one league though.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:You know as soon as you sit Hamilton, he'll get 10 SB that week! Unless he's benched or like was mentioned, sent down to the minors, I'll be playing him. I am happy I only drafted him in one league though.
He's as dangerous to sit as he is to start so long as he is the starting CF, considering that he could steal in a week what the average player does in a full season.

Jeff Erickson

Post by Jeff Erickson » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:12 am

I benched him for just this weekend, only because he was sitting on Friday night and thought I'd get three games from his replacement ... Abraham Almonte. Too bad that I didn't realize the A's were too cheap to operate their own damn tarp. If the Reds were 4-1 rather than 1-4 I'd be more confident that they won't make a panic move. That said, he'll be back in there for me on Monday.
Get a free 10-day trial at RotoWire:

http://www.rotowire.com/trial

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:32 am

R.A. didn't work out so well last year for me, but he did in 2012. We'll see what 2014 brings.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:13 am

I do get the "play to win" point. To me, a "play to win" pick is one of those huge upside, but definite downside picks. From a semantics point of view we all recognize all picks are designed to help the owner play to win. I understood the point GlennerationX was making. If Hamilton exploded for 95 steals and thus carried a category and allowed that owner to stock up on extra power or saves or something else, you can see how it is an aggressive play to win move.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 am

He also could be the only player in fantasy history that is just as valuable out of the lineup, maybe even more so, than in the lineup.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:He also could be the only player in fantasy history that is just as valuable out of the lineup, maybe even more so, than in the lineup.
Agreed. He certainly had much better success stealing bases last year as a pinch runner than he's had so far this year when relying on his own bat to get on base.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:38 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:He also could be the only player in fantasy history that is just as valuable out of the lineup, maybe even more so, than in the lineup.
Agreed. He certainly had much better success stealing bases last year as a pinch runner than he's had so far this year when relying on his own bat to get on base.

Mike
I'd be happy to see him guaranteed one PR appearance per game. 100SB and 80R with no damage to the BA category would be fine. No one expected HR or RBI anyway.
Last edited by Deadheadz on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz