And the hits just keep on coming....

ALL-IN JD

Re: And the hits just keep on coming....

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:49 am

Next you ask? That would be Alex Cobb with the dreaded oblique injury! Absolutely incredible!

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:12 am

Alex Cobb on the 15 day DL, oblique stain!

One of my DC's: A. Cobb, M. Moore, C. Hamels, J. Paxton, D. Robertson, N. Jones.

I'm having a hard time fielding enough pitchers who actually start, should be called the Decimated Championship.

EDIT: Didn't see the previous post about Cobb being out.
Last edited by Steel Lugnuts on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 am

I know this has been discussed in the past but with the increasing amount of injuries every year maybe we should rehash the idea of a DL slot.
It's only 2 weeks into the season and I have 2 players on the DL on each of my ME teams.
I know that every team is dealing with injuries but this seems ridiculous.
It seems like this year the injuries are especially out of control. It feels like the winners will be the ones who were lucky enough that their players stayed healthy.

Krys

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 am

This has gotten ridiculous. There has to be a legitimate discussion next year about DL spots, extra bench slots, extra FAAB....something.....that allows for dealing with all these injuries that you have no control over.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:41 am

la Jolla wrote:This has gotten ridiculous. There has to be a legitimate discussion next year about DL spots, extra bench slots, extra FAAB....something.....that allows for dealing with all these injuries that you have no control over.
I would suggest 2-DL spots and maybe 1-ML (Minor League) spot. Three of my 7 are on the DL and two are in the minors I would rather not drop, although may have to.

I suppose just expanding the bench spots to 10 would also do the trick.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:30 am

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
la Jolla wrote:This has gotten ridiculous. There has to be a legitimate discussion next year about DL spots, extra bench slots, extra FAAB....something.....that allows for dealing with all these injuries that you have no control over.
I would suggest 2-DL spots and maybe 1-ML (Minor League) spot. Three of my 7 are on the DL and two are in the minors I would rather not drop, although may have to.

These suggestions come up every year on this issue and get debated by the few who come to these boards. My suggestion is to have/take a legitimate poll via email of every owner on the subject, just like was done with moving the FABB end time. Simple questions, Add 1-2 DL slots, Add 1 minor slot, add both, expand rosters to 32,33,34? or Do nothing-leave as is. Something along those lines.

Brock

Post by Brock » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:08 am

The pool in 15 team leagues are thin enough with 450 players drafted. I have one team with 6 guys either injured or in the minors. To me it's part of the challenge playing this way. Adding more spots would make it easier but I don't think that's the way the game was intended. It sucks to keep getting news that one of our players hits the dl but it is what it is. Good luck to all.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:10 am

Brock wrote:The pool in 15 team leagues are thin enough with 450 players drafted. I have one team with 6 guys either injured or in the minors. To me it's part of the challenge playing this way. Adding more spots would make it easier but I don't think that's the way the game was intended. It sucks to keep getting news that one of our players hits the dl but it is what it is. Good luck to all.
It also wasn't intended to be played with a bunch of steroid users off the juice and getting injured! lol

Perhaps the DC leagues should be 12-teams, that would leave more talent available to fill all those roster spots, which in this day and age, are badly needed. Not guys on the bench that are starting in 2.3% of leagues, but you have to start them because of injuries.
Last edited by Steel Lugnuts on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:11 am

Outlaw wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:

These suggestions come up every year on this issue and get debated by the few who come to these boards. My suggestion is to have/take a legitimate poll via email of every owner on the subject, just like was done with moving the FABB end time. Simple questions, Add 1-2 DL slots, Add 1 minor slot, add both, expand rosters to 32,33,34? or Do nothing-leave as is. Something along those lines.
Roy,

I agree as it has been talked about year after year and nothing has changed at all. Unfortunately what has changed (dramatically) is the number of injuries occurring on an almost daily basis. As one who has gotten crushed the first few weeks by injuries I still think a seven man bench is the way to go. Increasing the bench size will obviously hurt the FAAB pool, especially in the 15 team leagues. I don't think adding two or three DL spots will be fair because if a team somehow has no injuries his bench will theoretically be one, two or three players shorter than those teams using the DL spot.

What I would like to see considered would be to give every team "X" number of DL moves for the year. Let's face, the odds of a team going through an entire year without having a player go on the DL are slim to none. Was thinking maybe 5 would be a reasonable number. Heck, some teams may use up all 5 in the first month the way injuries are occurring. Not sure if five is enough or too little but something should be done to minimize this contest basically becoming a war of attrition. I'm pretty sure that is now how the NFBC would want to crown a champion.

I know having invested a lot of money this year how the injuries have sucked the life out of me already after two weeks but how about the guys in the Platinum having invested 20K? What if they drafted Cobb, Ryan Zimmerman and Beltre (just to throw a few names out)? To not have ANY dl relief or flexibility is pretty tough to overcome when injuries are occurring on a daily basis. I always thought that roto/fantasy baseball should be as close to real baseball as possible. Well in real baseball teams can put a guy on the DL and call up a player to fill that spot.

Im sure there is no easy answer but I certainly think that this warrants some serious discussion. Rather than posting a poll I think that an email should be sent to all in the NFBC family to get some feedback on this issue (with maybe 4 or 5 options) to see what might be able to be done for 2015 and beyond.

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:34 am

I'm sorry but the answer can't be "well injuries strike every year and every team has to deal with them." Or "this is the way the game is intended to be played." Depending on when the injuries occur and how many each team sustains, owners are left having to cut players they need, pass on adding pieces they would want, and rather just have to fill holes and tie up every bench spot with injured players. The volume of injuries to good players has become so high, that a shift in our game rules needs to occur to balance it out.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:42 am

The whining on these boards is starting to remind me of football -- and we are still many months away from that adventure.
Guys --- the NFBC is the best of the best. Especially at the highest levels (which I don't play). This needs to be a challenge. Drafted guys that got hurt? That's why you can pick up free agents each week and you are given $1,000 of FA money to last throughout the year. It takes strategy to think about who you want to spend $$ on and how much. Is it better to put a DL guy on your bench knowing he won't be back for a month, OR do you put him back out in the FA pool knowing another team might grab him later. I did draft Kris Medlen on my auction team, so I've been hit by the injury bug too. Count me as COMPLETELY OPPOSED to any changes to accommodate more DL players. This is supposed to be a tough format -- it is NOT your local yahoo league.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:The whining on these boards is starting to remind me of football -- and we are still many months away from that adventure.
Guys --- the NFBC is the best of the best. Especially at the highest levels (which I don't play). This needs to be a challenge. Drafted guys that got hurt? That's why you can pick up free agents each week and you are given $1,000 of FA money to last throughout the year. It takes strategy to think about who you want to spend $$ on and how much. Is it better to put a DL guy on your bench knowing he won't be back for a month, OR do you put him back out in the FA pool knowing another team might grab him later. I did draft Kris Medlen on my auction team, so I've been hit by the injury bug too. Count me as COMPLETELY OPPOSED to any changes to accommodate more DL players. This is supposed to be a tough format -- it is NOT your local yahoo league.
It's not about free agent pickups, it's about dropping a guy that may be on the DL for 15-days that you normally wouldn't drop, or dropping Springer, or Bradley from the minors, just to field a team. Waaaayyy too many injuries nowadays for a such a short bench of 7-players, JMO.

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:13 pm

It's not about whining and yahoo leagues. My request is to look at how we are allowed to respond to all these injuries by way of roster management. I shouldn't have to blow up my team in week 3 because my injury run came this early in the season.

joshguy

Post by joshguy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:14 pm

7 man benches are enough. If you have to drop a minor leaguer, those are the chances you take when you draft that player. You're already playing a spot down for 2 to 3 months, at least. Those are the drawbacks when taking such a player.

If there were DL spots, we might as well make the 15 team Main Event a Draft Champion league because thats all they would be. Basically everyone waiting around some random closer to lose his job so we could make a meaningful FAAB move.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:14 pm

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:The whining on these boards is starting to remind me of football -- and we are still many months away from that adventure.
THIS!!!!

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:16 pm

joshguy wrote:7 man benches are enough. If you have to drop a minor leaguer, those are the chances you take when you draft that player. You're already playing a spot down for 2 to 3 months, at least. Those are the drawbacks when taking such a player.

If there were DL spots, we might as well make the 15 team Main Event a Draft Champion league because thats all they would be. Basically everyone waiting around some random closer to lose his job so we could make a meaningful FAAB move.

THIS as well...this is the main event for a reason, im only in one fantasy baseball league this year and it my third crack at the main(took 2 failed shots last year)...dont mess with the cadillac of Roto Baseball!!!

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 pm

joshguy wrote:7 man benches are enough. If you have to drop a minor leaguer, those are the chances you take when you draft that player. You're already playing a spot down for 2 to 3 months, at least. Those are the drawbacks when taking such a player.

I already acknowledged the fact I will probably have to drop a minor leaguer, but thanks anyway. Seven bench spots for a league that has 23 starting players is not enough with all these injuries in my opinion.

And adding a couple extra bench or DL spots would not make it a DC league, a little over exaggerating, don't ya think?

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm

NEXT...... Scott Kazmir pulled, diminished velocity his last inning! You can't make this stuff up!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:54 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:NEXT...... Scott Kazmir pulled, diminished velocity his last inning! You can't make this stuff up!
Yes you could...lol... and it would be funny... this is not funny..... possible shoulder for Kazmir, initial report

Seems the all the old farts aren't breaking down at the pace all these younger players are.

In any case, the continuing rise of injuries in baseball — in 1996 there were 398 trips to the disabled list and 19,677 days missed and the numbers have been over 400/20,000 ever since, rising to 521 disabled list trips and 29,387 games missed in 2013 — has become maddening to general managers, managers and fans alike. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have a reasonable explanation for it.

letter I recently got from one fan — no doubt a fantasy league player — summed up everyone’s frustration:

“I am a 37-year-old man who has not stretched or done anything athletic since high school. I drink too much, smoke cigars, eat poorly and am overweight. I play softball two games a week and give it my all and have never had a pulled muscle or any other injury issue. I therefore can’t, for the life of me, understand how come a world-class, well-conditioned athlete like Jose Reyes can’t even get out of the batter’s box on his first at-bat of the season without going on the DL!”

Or as every Yankee fan from the Bronx to Bogota could be heard screaming last week: “How in the hell does David Robertson — a pitcher for goodness’ sake! — strain his groin?”

“I can’t ever remember any pitchers when I played going on the disabled list with leg injuries, and that was before the designated hitter, when all the pitchers had to bat and run the bases every game,” said Ralph Branca, who won 88 games in the big leagues, mostly with the Dodgers, from 1944-54. “I can only surmise that was because we all ran. . . and ran. (Don) Newcombe and I were both big guys and before games on days we weren't pitching we’d play pepper for a while and then run 8-10 laps from first base to center field and walk back. That’s what all the pitchers did, the reason being you needed to strengthen your legs for pitching off the mound. In spring training, we ran every day.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z2yoFNIsPw

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:59 pm

I like it the way it is. A lot of these injuries are season long injuries and they can be dropped. Larger rosters doesn't make it any better. It just makes it harder to replace a player when they are injured if their backup is already on someone else's roster.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:43 pm

"It just makes it harder to replace a player when they are injured if their backup is already on someone else's roster."

I have no idea what this means and how it relates to having an extra roster spot or two.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:51 pm

The free agent pool is thin enough as is, expanding roster would only make it harder to replace injured players. Make the tough decision on who to cut from your bench (if anyone) to cover injuries and move on and quit bitching cause everyone has to deal with it.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:54 pm

Bama wrote:The free agent pool is thin enough as is, expanding roster would only make it harder to replace injured players. Make the tough decision on who to cut from your bench (if anyone) to cover injuries and move on and quit bitching cause everyone has to deal with it.
The rules are set up to reward the healthy owners. The hurt teams have to make tough decisions to add possible valuable players to the pool so they can survive an injury. It's like a double hit.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:"It just makes it harder to replace a player when they are injured if their backup is already on someone else's roster."

I have no idea what this means and how it relates to having an extra roster spot or two.
Think about it. Let me know if you figure it out. :D

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Bama wrote:The free agent pool is thin enough as is, expanding roster would only make it harder to replace injured players. Make the tough decision on who to cut from your bench (if anyone) to cover injuries and move on and quit bitching cause everyone has to deal with it.
This is a forum for discussion and you call it bitching? Whatever!