And the hits just keep on coming....

Steel Lugnuts

Re: And the hits just keep on coming....

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:09 pm

BK METS wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:"It just makes it harder to replace a player when they are injured if their backup is already on someone else's roster."

I have no idea what this means and how it relates to having an extra roster spot or two.
Think about it. Let me know if you figure it out. :D
No thanks, I'm done thinking...besides, you're just stalling until you figure it out. ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 pm

For one of my teams today where I lost Hamilton and Zimmerman this week to join Kershaw, Tex, and now maybe Kazmir and Crawford, I had to drop Kendry Morales today, who I was hoping to stash until he was finally signed, to make sure I'd be able to field a full roster this week. Last week I had to drop Travis Wood for this team.

On another team, my reserves are filled with 6 players on the DL and another minor leaguer.

Tough choices have to be made. That's the game.

I spent a good portion of today struggling with FAAB for my 15 teamers and AL Auction team. FAAB is barren enough. I've always been against the idea of DL roster moves whether they'd benefit me at any particular time or not. FAAB is the heart of fantasy sports. It's what separates the greatest players from the merely great. Let's keep it somewhat meaningful.

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 pm

The rules are set up to reward the healthy owners. The hurt teams have to make tough decisions to add possible valuable players to the pool so they can survive an injury. It's like a double hit.[/quote]

+1

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:17 pm

I agree with Alan and Bama.

The game is fine the way it is. If you think a few more bench spots would help, you should see how bad it is for some of the teams in the Draft Champions leagues. They have 27 bench slots and injuries are still crippling their teams.

A large bench would just mean a manager with no injuries could have a bunch more good players on their bench if they work the FAAB well and keep the breakouts and callups away from their opponents. A bench with 7 players makes it so it's not easy to hoard too many top backups without having to drop another good player.

Does it bother anyone that as soon as things don't go the way a manager hoped, he starts lobbying for the game to be changed? Are there any managers with no injuries who are in the top 3 of their league who are campaigning for DL slots or larger benches?

Most of us seem to prefer NFBC to the competition. Why change a great thing so drastically?
Last edited by Deadheadz on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:"It just makes it harder to replace a player when they are injured if their backup is already on someone else's roster."

I have no idea what this means and how it relates to having an extra roster spot or two.
Think about it. Let me know if you figure it out. :D
No thanks, I'm done thinking...besides, you're just stalling until you figure it out. ;)
Add roster spots and you can forget about picking up a backup closer, starter, or corner infielder... they will mostly all be on rosters already and if they aren't, the lack of available decent players in FAAB will cause bids to be even more ridiculous than they are now.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 pm

I think everyone is getting a little carried away with what adding one or two DL spots would do to a league, it's not "drastic" and "not ruining what the NFBC has become", etc...geeze.

Not unlike what real baseball teams do, they add a player to the DL and can then roster another player...when said player comes off the DL, then you must drop a player from roster...you don't see them having to drop them completely from the team just because they are on the DL.

And I disagree with what someone mentioned earlier, a lot of these DL stints are only 15 days, not season long. Those season long DL stints are no big deal as you have to drop them, the 15 day are the ones it would be nice to stash for a couple weeks.

This obviously won't go through as most of the users chiming in here are old school and can't accept change, so they will make sure it doesn't happen.

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:49 pm

BK METS wrote:
Add roster spots and you can forget about picking up a backup closer, starter, or corner infielder... they will mostly all be on rosters already and if they aren't, the lack of available decent players in FAAB will cause bids to be even more ridiculous than they are now.
Agree with this. People will stash the DL players in DL Slots and then stash closer to be, prospects, etc. In the 15 team event, the FA player pool is pretty thin for the most-part. Doing this would make it similar to only leagues where you're just looking for ABs and innings at some points in the season.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:I think everyone is getting a little carried away with what adding one or two DL spots would do to a league, it's not "drastic" and "not ruining what the NFBC has become", etc...geeze.

Not unlike what real baseball teams do, they add a player to the DL and can then roster another player...when said player comes off the DL, then you must drop a player from roster...you don't see them having to drop them completely from the team just because they are on the DL.

And I disagree with what someone mentioned earlier, a lot of these DL stints are only 15 days, not season long. Those season long DL stints are no big deal as you have to drop them, the 15 day are the ones it would be nice to stash for a couple weeks.

This obviously won't go through as most of the users chiming in here are old school and can't accept change, so they will make sure it doesn't happen.

Other sites with DL slots usually have only 3-5 bench spots to begin with. You get 7 at NFBC which you can use for DL or non-DL players. What's the problem?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:I think everyone is getting a little carried away with what adding one or two DL spots would do to a league, it's not "drastic" and "not ruining what the NFBC has become", etc...geeze.

Other sites with DL slots usually have only 3-5 bench spots to begin with. You get 7 at NFBC which you can use for DL or non-DL players. What's the problem?
Besides you...I've never been in a league that has DL spots. And how many starters are in your supposed league that 3 bench spots? 23 like the NFBC has?

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Deadheadz wrote: Other sites with DL slots usually have only 3-5 bench spots to begin with. You get 7 at NFBC which you can use for DL or non-DL players. What's the problem?
Besides you...I've never been in a league that has DL spots. And how many starters are in your supposed league that 3 bench spots? 23 like the NFBC has?
Yep. Go surf to ESPN or CBS and you'll see for yourself.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:12 pm

TParsons wrote:
BK METS wrote:
Agree with this. People will stash the DL players in DL Slots and then stash closer to be, prospects, etc. In the 15 team event, the FA player pool is pretty thin for the most-part. Doing this would make it similar to only leagues where you're just looking for ABs and innings at some points in the season.
If someone is stashing a player on DL, it's probably because he was a starter, and would therefore need to roster another starter, not to stash a closer to be or prospects...no way 7 bench spots would afford this to happen.

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
TParsons wrote:
BK METS wrote:
If someone is stashing a player on DL, it's probably because he was a starter, and would therefore need to roster another starter, not to stash a closer to be or prospects...no way 7 bench spots would afford this to happen.
You're going to remove an equivalent amount of players from the FA player pool as number of DL slots you add. It gives owners further roster flexibility, so if you're afforded the ability to DL Minor/Hamels and you're fine with the rotation you have in the coming weeks, it only makes sense to take a flier on some spec plays in hopes of hitting. Currently you wouldn't be able to do that since you have those guys clogging your bench slots. For some the DL player will definitely be a starter for a starter. I had to do this w/ Reyes, but most of the time you are going to have a CI, OF, or P already rostered that might be better than anybody on the waiver wire. On top of that anybody that is lucky enough to have a fully healthy squad will be scooping up any wired player to take advantage of the DL slot, so you can say good bye to guys like Maybin, Quentin, Profar, Harrison, etc. Add 2 DL slots and you're removing 30 players from the FA player pool in the 15 team format. That's a lot!

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 pm

TParsons wrote: You're going to remove an equivalent amount of players from the FA player pool as number of DL slots you add. It gives owners further roster flexibility, so if you're afforded the ability to DL Minor/Hamels and you're fine with the rotation you have in the coming weeks, it only makes sense to take a flier on some spec plays in hopes of hitting. Currently you wouldn't be able to do that since you have those guys clogging your bench slots. For some the DL player will definitely be a starter for a starter. I had to do this w/ Reyes, but most of the time you are going to have a CI, OF, or P already rostered that might be better than anybody on the waiver wire. On top of that anybody that is lucky enough to have a fully healthy squad will be scooping up any wired player to take advantage of the DL slot, so you can say good bye to guys like Maybin, Quentin, Profar, Harrison, etc. Add 2 DL slots and you're removing 30 players from the FA player pool in the 15 team format. That's a lot!
Exactly. Not to mention drafting of injured players because you know you can stash on the DL and it won't "hurt" you by tying up a precious bench spot. Keep it the way it is.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm

COZ wrote:
TParsons wrote: You're going to remove an equivalent amount of players from the FA player pool as number of DL slots you add. It gives owners further roster flexibility, so if you're afforded the ability to DL Minor/Hamels and you're fine with the rotation you have in the coming weeks, it only makes sense to take a flier on some spec plays in hopes of hitting. Currently you wouldn't be able to do that since you have those guys clogging your bench slots. For some the DL player will definitely be a starter for a starter. I had to do this w/ Reyes, but most of the time you are going to have a CI, OF, or P already rostered that might be better than anybody on the waiver wire. On top of that anybody that is lucky enough to have a fully healthy squad will be scooping up any wired player to take advantage of the DL slot, so you can say good bye to guys like Maybin, Quentin, Profar, Harrison, etc. Add 2 DL slots and you're removing 30 players from the FA player pool in the 15 team format. That's a lot!
Exactly. Not to mention drafting of injured players because you know you can stash on the DL and it won't "hurt" you by tying up a precious bench spot. Keep it the way it is.

COZ

Agreed, and that would definitely happen.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:16 pm

A DL list would just be gamed. It should not even be a consideration.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:44 am

Word on the street is that Pedroia is DOA

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:20 am

Gekko wrote:Word on the street is that Pedroia is DOA
Did you get an update from a source that I haven't found yet or are you just speculating off yesterday's news that he's going to Boston to get his wrist checked out?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 am

From another MB Forum...
"2 for 27 last week and the double on Saturday was a fly out waiting to happen until Soriano got turned around."

Furthermore last week:
27AB - 2 hits and 5Ks

Prior season stats:
28AB - 10 hits and only 1 K

If he continues to play hurt, results will likely be subpar, ie DOA

If he's out for a while, also a likely DOA scenario

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:30 am

Glenneration X wrote:For one of my teams today where I lost Hamilton and Zimmerman this week to join Kershaw, Tex, and now maybe Kazmir and Crawford, I had to drop Kendry Morales today, who I was hoping to stash until he was finally signed, to make sure I'd be able to field a full roster this week. Last week I had to drop Travis Wood for this team.

On another team, my reserves are filled with 6 players on the DL and another minor leaguer.

Tough choices have to be made. That's the game.

I spent a good portion of today struggling with FAAB for my 15 teamers and AL Auction team. FAAB is barren enough. I've always been against the idea of DL roster moves whether they'd benefit me at any particular time or not. FAAB is the heart of fantasy sports. It's what separates the greatest players from the merely great. Let's keep it somewhat meaningful.
Glen,

As we both have a similar number of teams I will have to humbly disagree with my neighbor. Please keep in mind I am not bitter nor am I whining. I love the strategy involved in the 15 team leagues and the tough decisions that have to be made. That being said the sheer amount of injuries on an almost daily basis can not and should not be ignored. I am not saying the I have the answer but it should certainly be given a closer look. As I stated previously I agree about not increasing the bench size or adding dl slots but maybe allowing 5 DL moves for each team for the entire season. Im not sure if that's the right number (maybe three) but something to possibly soften the blow. It almost seems like the best path to victory now is to be the most fortunate owner and miss out on the incredible number of injuries.

knuckleheads

Post by knuckleheads » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 am

1) If you feel the need to say, "I'm not whining," experience tells me you're probably whining.
2) Outlaw, if you don't like the injuries, I suggest we bring back PEDs. :D
3) If you don't want a clogged bench, don't draft and sit on Hamels, Chapman, and Iwakuma.
4) If you don't like your starters getting hurt, don't draft Tulowitzki, Mauer, CarGo, or anybody named Drew.
5) Quite simply, 450 players takes a lot out of the potential pool. For example, it is enough to take every starting position player, all 5 starters, and 2 relievers from every team in baseball. Tell me exactly who outside of that pool should be regularly rostered?

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 am

knuckleheads wrote:1) If you feel the need to say, "I'm not whining," experience tells me you're probably whining.
2) Outlaw, if you don't like the injuries, I suggest we bring back PEDs. :D
3) If you don't want a clogged bench, don't draft and sit on Hamels, Chapman, and Iwakuma.
4) If you don't like your starters getting hurt, don't draft Tulowitzki, Mauer, CarGo, or anybody named Drew.
5) Quite simply, 450 players takes a lot out of the potential pool. For example, it is enough to take every starting position player, all 5 starters, and 2 relievers from every team in baseball. Tell me exactly who outside of that pool should be regularly rostered?
Moron, i'm not whining, as I repeat myself. All I am trying to say is that injuries are at an all time high and maybe should be looked at a little closer. You talk about not drafting guys like Tulo, Mauer and Cargo? How about Ryan Zimmerman? Alex Cobb? Avisail Garcia? Guess we all should have known better and stayed away from them too?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:06 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:It almost seems like the best path to victory now is to be the most fortunate owner and miss out on the incredible number of injuries.
This has always been a key component every year.

I've been hurt by injuries just like everyone else. This week I Lost uehara, Cobb and maybe kazmir in AL auction. Crushing blows to be sure. However, I'm okay with that because I understand that's the way it goes sometimes. I'll have to sharpen my skills a bit and see if I can overcome a 2/7 off suit

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 am

Gekko wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:It almost seems like the best path to victory now is to be the most fortunate owner and miss out on the incredible number of injuries.
This has always been a key component every year.

I've been hurt by injuries just like everyone else. This week I Lost uehara, Cobb and maybe kazmir in AL auction. Crushing blows to be sure. However, I'm okay with that because I understand that's the way it goes sometimes. I'll have to sharpen my skills a bit and see if I can overcome a 2/7 off suit
Mark,

Not disputing that for one second. But if you are losing a player a week (at least) to injury that is a different story.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 am

The not knowing is worse. I guess i'm starting Kazmir this week, especially with Cobb out, but I just know the news will break 5 minutes after the line-ups lock.

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:24 am

I would suggest 2-DL spots and maybe 1-ML (Minor League) spot. Three of my 7 are on the DL and two are in the minors I would rather not drop, although may have to.

I suppose just expanding the bench spots to 10 would also do the trick.[/quote]

These suggestions come up every year on this issue and get debated by the few who come to these boards. My suggestion is to have/take a legitimate poll via email of every owner on the subject, just like was done with moving the FABB end time. Simple questions, Add 1-2 DL slots, Add 1 minor slot, add both, expand rosters to 32,33,34? or Do nothing-leave as is. Something along those lines.[/quote]

Roy,

I agree as it has been talked about year after year and nothing has changed at all. Unfortunately what has changed (dramatically) is the number of injuries occurring on an almost daily basis. As one who has gotten crushed the first few weeks by injuries I still think a seven man bench is the way to go. Increasing the bench size will obviously hurt the FAAB pool, especially in the 15 team leagues. I don't think adding two or three DL spots will be fair because if a team somehow has no injuries his bench will theoretically be one, two or three players shorter than those teams using the DL spot.

What I would like to see considered would be to give every team "X" number of DL moves for the year. Let's face, the odds of a team going through an entire year without having a player go on the DL are slim to none. Was thinking maybe 5 would be a reasonable number. Heck, some teams may use up all 5 in the first month the way injuries are occurring. Not sure if five is enough or too little but something should be done to minimize this contest basically becoming a war of attrition. I'm pretty sure that is now how the NFBC would want to crown a champion.

I know having invested a lot of money this year how the injuries have sucked the life out of me already after two weeks but how about the guys in the Platinum having invested 20K? What if they drafted Cobb, Ryan Zimmerman and Beltre (just to throw a few names out)? To not have ANY dl relief or flexibility is pretty tough to overcome when injuries are occurring on a daily basis. I always thought that roto/fantasy baseball should be as close to real baseball as possible. Well in real baseball teams can put a guy on the DL and call up a player to fill that spot.

Im sure there is no easy answer but I certainly think that this warrants some serious discussion. Rather than posting a poll I think that an email should be sent to all in the NFBC family to get some feedback on this issue (with maybe 4 or 5 options) to see what might be able to be done for 2015 and beyond.[/quote]

Jeff, That wasn't me posting . It was Outlaws, I use Roy's Outlaws.