George Springer, Archie Bradley, Gregory Polanco Sweepstakes

Captain Hook

Re: George Springer Sweepstakes

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 am

Hells Satans wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:That move tells you all you need to know about where the D'Backs are going this year ... nowhere. I get the economic considerations. For low-budget and/or rebuilding teams, like the Astros and Cubs, it makes no sense to start the clock early. But, for the D'Backs, who supposedly had aspirations to compete with the Dodgers and others, this move is a joke. This guy isn't even close to a being a top prospect. So far, Arizona's pitching has been so bad that not only does Bradley belong in the rotation right now, I'd argue that he's already their best starting pitcher.

Mike
Bolsinger pitching in relief tonight. Could be Bradley time.
They said before the game that Bolsinger would pitch in relief tonight and then start Friday
Correction - Bolsinger will start Saturday against the Dodgers in LA

Rainiers

Re: George Springer, Archie Bradley, Gregory Polanco Sweepst

Post by Rainiers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:07 pm

No Bradley soon. No sign of Springer in Houston.

Maybe Polanco will be the first one. Since he was optioned to AAA, I think he has to stay down at least 20 days or the Pirates would lose his seventh year of control. So the 19 th at the earliest.
- Robert

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm

I also think it depends how Bradley pitches over the next couple of weeks.

If he throws gems over the next couple of weeks and Arizona pitchers continue to suck then the D-Backs will hear it from the fans. There will be too much pressure NOT to bring him up. If Arizona was leading the league in ERA that would be a different story.
If Bradley struggles with his control and has sub-par games then this will give the GM an excuse to refrain from bringing him up.

Its the same with Polanco. As long as Snider is hitting and the Pirates are winning, there will be no reason to call Polanco up but an injury could force the Pirates hand.

My best guess. Springer,Bradley,Polanco. In that order. But I still think Polanco has the biggest impact if he gets called up.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

This would be a great prop bet on who comes up first this year. Anyone want to set odds? :D

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 pm

I see the D'Backs are getting another stellar start from the current rotation tonight. Nope, definitely don't need Bradley.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:I see the D'Backs are getting another stellar start from the current rotation tonight. Nope, definitely don't need Bradley.

Mike
Really can't blame the Diamondbacks staff here. I mean they are facing an offensive juggernaut tonight. 8-)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:I see the D'Backs are getting another stellar start from the current rotation tonight. Nope, definitely don't need Bradley.

Mike
Really can't blame the Diamondbacks staff here. I mean they are facing an offensive juggernaut tonight. 8-)
I think Bronson Arroyo needs a little more time in the minors, maybe bring him back when he's 40 and has learned how to pitch.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Glenneration X wrote:

Mike
That's right. The Mets are finally hitting over .200 for the season!! Look out, our outfield is stronger than ever :D

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Mike
Brandon McCarthy with his 7.78 ERA pitches tomorrow.
Arizona has the Dodgers coming into town this weekend. It's going to get ugly real fast.
I'm changing my order. Bradley, Springer, Polanco......

This needs to be a $$$$ prop bet. How do we set this up?

I predict May 2 vs Padres @ spacious Petco Park will be his 1st start. 6 innings 2 runs 8 strikeouts

Krys

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Springer to be promoted Wednesday!

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 pm

U-C-O-N-N baby !!!! 2 national titles and now a ROY.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 pm

That's good news on Springer...

So Krys, we are now down to just two, so much for the three-way prop bet.

But there is still second place to decide in this horse race.

I'll take Polanco over Bradley. At home against the Reds on April 21. He goes 2 for 4.

Bradley should have been first, but GM Towers has his head up his ***. He won't find the next Derek Jeter there. Or be able to begin to straighten out his rotation from that position.
- Robert

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Rainiers wrote:That's good news on Springer...

I'll take Polanco over Bradley. At home against the Reds on April 21. He goes 2 for 4.

Bradley should have been first, but GM Towers has his head up his ***. He won't find the next Derek Jeter there. Or be able to begin to straighten out his rotation from that position.
Would be very surprised if Polanco beats Bradley.

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:55 pm

KJ Duke wrote:

Good point. Snyder is holding down right pretty good for now. Diamondbacks worse starting rotation in the league right now. Bradley before Polanco.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 am

GetALife wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:

Good point. Snyder is holding down right pretty good for now. Diamondbacks worse starting rotation in the league right now. Bradley before Polanco.
I'm pretty surprised that Bradley isn't already up. It's inexplicable. But it seems obvious right now that Bradley's next start will be Wedesday or Thursday in AAA, and the soonest he gets his first start for Arizona would be next Monday, also the 21st.

I'm thinking that there is a better than fifty-fifty chance the Pirates call up Polanco in Apirl. He is a huge upgrade over Tabata. Snider is a lefty like Polanco, so they keep him as the fourth OF over Tabata as Marte and Cutch are both right-handed, and because Snider is better overall than Tabata. Tabata is traded or designated for assignment.

If Polanco does get the call this April, I think the Pirates do it very soon after they are able to maximize his impact. They have to wait twenty days into the season because Polanco was optioned to AAA, not assigned like Bradley and Springer. That gets him up this weekend, Monday at the latest, beating Bradley up by at least a day or two.
- Robert

viper

Post by viper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:45 am

Don't they estimate that it costs a club $12M, on average, for that extra year of arbitration? Given the rotten Diamondback start and their chances of making the playoff given this start, they may have 12 million reason to keep him down. It is only about 6 additional lost starts right now. And that doesn't take into account a possible inning count limitation he might reach before the season's end. Never heard of an AB limitation on hitters.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 am

viper wrote:Don't they estimate that it costs a club $12M, on average, for that extra year of arbitration? Given the rotten Diamondback start and their chances of making the playoff given this start, they may have 12 million reason to keep him down. It is only about 6 additional lost starts right now. And that doesn't take into account a possible inning count limitation he might reach before the season's end. Never heard of an AB limitation on hitters.
Yep, $12 million is about right. But Arizona has never before been a club to hold a guy back for that. Good point about the IP limit. Your guess is as good as anybody's on what Towers is thinking.
- Robert

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 am

What do you think happens first for the M-E-T-S mets, mets, mets............Rafael Montero or Noah Syndergaard?
and is it likely the Cubs wait a while on Baez, Bryant?

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:59 am

GetALife wrote:What do you think happens first for the M-E-T-S mets, mets, mets............Rafael Montero or Noah Syndergaard?
If the Mets hold true to form, they wait till at least mid-year to bring up anybody. That's what they did with Harvey, then Wheeler.

Baez is big-league ready with his bat, but not with his glove. Bryant just isn't ready. Neither one until mid-year, maybe not Bryant at all this year, if they try and hold back his service-time clock.
- Robert

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:21 am

Jon Singleton anybody?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Tabata possible concussion=Polanco?

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Tabata is doing his best to land on the DL by crashing into fences.
Now all we need is Snider to step on a pebble and pull his hammy.

But seriously, if Snider struggles at the plate for a week or so, Polanco won't be too far behind.
Bradley vs Polanco is too close to call.

It should be fun to see what Springer does at the plate. I'll actually watch a Astros game now.
If Carter continues to struggle this month then Singleton next in early May?

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Jon Singleton anybody?

I think hes up soon Wayne, maybe another week. Correria will be up too, probably end of June, maybe even sooner.... Astros may just give them all the rest of this year in the bigs to get experience... Villar has been brutal so far with the Bat as have been Krauss and Carter.... a lot of fan heat on them to get moving with their prospects.

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Rainiers wrote:
GetALife wrote:What do you think happens first for the M-E-T-S mets, mets, mets............Rafael Montero or Noah Syndergaard?
If the Mets hold true to form, they wait till at least mid-year to bring up anybody. That's what they did with Harvey, then Wheeler.

Baez is big-league ready with his bat, but not with his glove. Bryant just isn't ready. Neither one until mid-year, maybe not Bryant at all this year, if they try and hold back his service-time clock.

Bryant is 21 or 22 already isn't he? He's at AA and producing. I could see midseason if he does well. Not at all if he struggles.

****EDIT ALERT****
and if the LAD outfield wasn't so crowded Joc Pederson would be up by now for sure.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm

The Cubs have been very methodical with their program since Theo took over.
Signing players this year, like Ryan Sweeney, Ryan Roberts (gone), Emilio Bonifacio and keeping players like Valbuena, Barney, and other 'expendables', signals that the Cubs are ok to play till September to play with this mediocre group of players.
Starting the clock early on a prospect would really serve little purpose. Cubs Management knows this.
Fans in Chicago are not pushing for the youngsters to come up. They know that once they do, they're team could become a contender quickly.
They're fine with being patient.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!