Pop-ups On FAAB: Why Are They There?

Greg Ambrosius

Pop-ups On FAAB: Why Are They There?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 am

There has been a lot of talk about the pop-ups on the new FAAB system, so let's talk about them here and understand why they are there and if they should stay there.

First of all, there aren't any more pop-ups on the new FAAB than there were on the old FAAB. Both have two pop-ups. But let's analyze them both and see if there's a solution here.

The first pop-up on the new FAAB is actually there to speed up the process, not slow things down. But let's see if it's working as planned. Here's how it works: When you select a player to drop, it asks you if you want to copy that drop to all conditionals. This only happens once when you choose the dropped player for the first time. If we don't ask this, then you'll need to tell the system who you want to drop for each conditional bid, which will take much more time than just telling the system that you want to cut the same player. Eliminating this pop-up would default to you cutting the same player in each conditional bid. Would that be better?

The second pop-up happens when you choose to delete a bid. This is set up in the event that someone accidentally clicks delete for a long string of bids.

The old page actually doesn't have a confirmation for deletes, but the old page has a pop-up to alert a user to choose a player to drop, which we removed on the new page.

We also don't have a pop-up if a person submits a bid without cutting a player. When that happens, the bid isn't run because the owner would have too many players. It actually says in your Bid History that you have too many players when that happens. Some owners have already failed to get players they wanted because they didn't cut someone. A pop up there could have saved them!! ;)

We're looking for feedback here to speed up the process for you. Again, if the first pop-up isn't needed, then we'll default to copying a dropped player to all conditionals since you would no longer have an option. You will just have to go and edit every drop if you don't want the same dropped player for each conditional. Would that be better than the current setup?

The second pop-up seems pretty standard on all sites: Confirming a deleted bid. That's a safeguard that seems to be needed to avoid costly mistakes, isn't it?

We are open for discussion and suggestions here and it's your FAAB system, so let us know what you think. We can make changes here where needed if they are needed, but at least you understand why the two pop-ups are there. Thanks for any feedback here.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Pop-ups On FAAB: Why Are They There?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 am

The dropped player pop up is the main culprit for me. When trying to make last minute changes, it is a nemesis.
Not only does it slow down the process in just being there, but it pops up at the very top of the page, away from where we're doing our faab'ing.
Annoying as all get out.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Eliminating this pop-up would default to you cutting the same player in each conditional bid. Would that be better?
YES!!!! That is what we intend to do 99% of the time anyway, and for the other 1% of the time we can easily edit those standalone drop selections.
Greg Ambrosius wrote: The second pop-up seems pretty standard on all sites: Confirming a deleted bid. That's a safeguard that seems to be needed to avoid costly mistakes, isn't it?
No, because if I copy a string from a previous bid, and let's say I want to delete the last 5 players from that copied string, I have to 1) delete, 2) confirm pop-up, 3) scroll back down to find my place on the page, and 4) repeat all of this four more times ... a very time-consuming 15 clicks and a bunch of searching for where I was.

We can make a mistake at anytime, so using this "safeguard" theory would suggest that a popup could be in order for everything we do on the site. But it's just faster not having it, and the secondary benefit is that we can immediately see what we've done without a page refresh moving us away from where we're working ... which in itself is a safeguard.

lrr

Post by lrr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 am

The first pop up discussion isn't clear to me. If you delete the first pop up, Greg, are you saying we would default to having to put the name of the deleted player into each conditional bid (which is not good) or would the system do that automatically (which is good)?

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 am

I have to gather that most owners want to cut the same player on each bid. Eliminating the dropped player pop-up would satisfy the overwhelming majority of players. Auto default makes sense in this situation... if you want to change that, it should be manual.

The second pop-up is irrelvent in my opinion. I get it, but how many actually read that? Even if there wa a mistake, the overwhelming majority would never double check anyhow. Owners should be doing last minute checks, which I'm sure most or all are already. If it's that big of a mistake, say someone cut McCutchen, it would be reviewed by the NFBC.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 am

lrr wrote:The first pop up discussion isn't clear to me. If you delete the first pop up, Greg, are you saying we would default to having to put the name of the deleted player into each conditional bid (which is not good) or would the system do that automatically (which is good)?
We could default to the same player being cut on all Conditional Bids. So if you wanted to change that player being cut, you'd have to do it in each of those Conditional Bids. But I do think the intent of most people is to cut that same player, so maybe we're being a penny wise and a dollar foolish here. Let's hear from others to see if that's correct.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 am

Definitively keep the first pop-up as I at least don't want to have to put in the same drop for all 20 conditional bids for any bid grouping.

Get rid of, or at least give an option to get rid of, the "confirm delete" pop-up. For most of us, it's not necessary and just an added step and hassle.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 am

Glenneration X wrote:Definitively keep the first pop-up as I at least don't want to have to put in the same drop for all 20 conditional bids for any bid grouping.

Get rid of, or at least give an option to get rid of, the "confirm delete" pop-up. For most of us, it's not necessary and just an added step and hassle.
If you were cutting Matt Moore in that bid group, Glenn, what if we just defaulted to Moore for all 20 Conditional Bids. Would that work?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 am

Glenneration X wrote:Definitively keep the first pop-up as I at least don't want to have to put in the same drop for all 20 conditional bids for any bid grouping.

Pay attention Glenn or you're going to blow a once in a lifetime chance !!! The system will by default copy the same drop down to the entire string. :evil:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 am

KJ Duke wrote:

Pay attention Glenn or you're going to blow a once in a lifetime chance !!! The system will by default copy the same drop down to the entire string. :evil:
Ohhhh!!! I'm with KJ then.

(I jump on quick at work every once in awhile and only really have a chance to quickly scan through the boards.
Thank God I have those who correct me when needed....which unfortunately is often. :? :mrgreen: )

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 am

:lol: I didn't think you'd lost your mind.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 am

Way to screw up the morning Lowry... probably bought Gowanus canal waterfront instead of Venice this morning too ! Beauty !

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
lrr wrote:The first pop up discussion isn't clear to me. If you delete the first pop up, Greg, are you saying we would default to having to put the name of the deleted player into each conditional bid (which is not good) or would the system do that automatically (which is good)?
We could default to the same player being cut on all Conditional Bids. So if you wanted to change that player being cut, you'd have to do it in each of those Conditional Bids. But I do think the intent of most people is to cut that same player, so maybe we're being a penny wise and a dollar foolish here. Let's hear from others to see if that's correct.
This would be a problem (again unless I'm just scanning too quickly). If I want to revise my dropped player, I'd have to manually do so for every conditional in that bid group one at a time?? I wouldn't want that. Is there anyway to default to changing them all out at once and providing an recourse to just change one of the drops for a single conditional if it's the 1 out of 100 times we want that option?

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 am

Tip for all those who hate having to do a lot of scrolling:

Track the players you're dealing with and then filter by Tracked rather than by All.
Makes for a much shorter list and much less (if any) scrolling.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bama

Post by Bama » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 am

Glenn having problem with his reading comprehension today, must have been up late. Definitely get rid of both popups as they are pretty much useless, as KJ pointed out the problems with both, and cause more errors than they save.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Glenneration X wrote: This would be a problem (again unless I'm just scanning too quickly). If I want to revise my dropped player, I'd have to manually do so for every conditional in that bid group one at a time?? I wouldn't want that.
Agree Glenn, changing the drop in a bid string should default to changing all players in the bid string below the player clicked within the same bid group. That would save a lot of time versus changing each one individually.

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Yes, that is correct. I ALWAYS have the same player to be cut/drop, but conditional (or differing) bids on the free-agent-to-be-acquired. If I drop/cut a second player or multiple players, I usually have the same conditional bids on the free-agent-to-be-acquired. Don't think I've ever inter-mixed different players to drop/cut in the same string of bids. So I always start with the player to be dropped, then I do a string of conditional bids for that player to be dropped. I have NEVER done multiple (or different) player drops/cuts in a string of conditional bids. It is the free-agent players-to-be-acquired that is inter-mixed, at least for me.

So, to be clear, we should default to the same player being cut/dropped. That having been said, the pop-ups simply require hitting the "ENTER" button and they disappear (I have never scrolled up to click the "YES" button, I just simply hit "ENTER" and I stay where I am on the page). All this talk of scrolling up to click-away the pop-up is solved with a quick "ENTER" and it disappears with no scrolling. The issue with pop-ups, to me, while annoying, is a MINOR inconvenience.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci