Question about the double steal

Deadheadz

Question about the double steal

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 pm

In the 9th inning of the Reds vs Pirates, BHamm was on 2nd and Votto on 1st with Phillips batting.

There was a double steal attempt and Votto was caught while Hamilton made it safely to 3rd. So far, no SB was awarded to BHamm.

Does Votto getting caught cancel the other SB in the MLB rules?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

GetALife

Re: Question about the double steal

Post by GetALife » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Look it up online in the MLB rule book, but I'm pretty sure if one gets thrown out then the other does not get a steal. It makes logical sense anyway, because it would be "nearly" impossible for both to be thrown out.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Correct, no steal.

slopshot

Post by slopshot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 am

Yeah, no stolen base for B.Ham because Votto was out a second.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

I suppose they were "defensively indifferent" to Hamilton because they were busy catching Votto in the act.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:29 pm

I think the safe runner is scored 'fielder's choice: advanced on throw' if I remember my scoring rules correctly.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:40 pm

whale4evr wrote:I think the safe runner is scored 'fielder's choice: advanced on throw' if I remember my scoring rules correctly.
I just know that if I had two cars taken and the police caught only one thief, the other car would still be stolen.

And if I had a car with the keys on the dash and the doors unlocked, the guy who took it would still be stealing the car not getting it "free" because I was defensively indifferent.

MLB has many great rules. I don't agree with all their rules regarding stolen bases, clearly.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
whale4evr wrote:I think the safe runner is scored 'fielder's choice: advanced on throw' if I remember my scoring rules correctly.
I just know that if I had two cars taken and the police caught only one thief, the other car would still be stolen.

And if I had a car with the keys on the dash and the doors unlocked, the guy who took it would still be stealing the car not getting it "free" because I was defensively indifferent.

MLB has many great rules. I don't agree with all their rules regarding stolen bases, clearly.
If no attempt is made on the trail runner and the lead runner is thrown out, there is no credit for a stolen base. It was not earned. If no attempt is made on the trail runner and the lead runner is safe, it is a stolen base. Awarded, but not earned. In short, there's nothing to complain about.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Deadheadz wrote:

A better analogy would be that there is only one cop and two thieves. He has to pick one to go after. Impossible to get both.
A catcher/pitcher should not be demerited for not throwing out both runners. It's an impossibility.

Their 'caught stealing' stats would become almost meaningless if this were ruled a stolen base.
A double steal is just that. It doesn't become a single steal if unsuccessful.
A double steal comes down to a fielders choice for the catcher. If one runner advances while another runner is thrown out on a double steal, he moves up because of a fielders choice.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:36 pm

A much better rule IMHO to gripe about is how wins are awarded. So many issues with the current approach that I can't even write them all