FAAB for rookie

mdecav

FAAB for rookie

Post by mdecav » Sun May 04, 2014 4:42 pm

A certain Toronto prospect is not available in the FAAB bidding. Can someone fix?

Atlas

Re: FAAB for rookie

Post by Atlas » Sun May 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Had to be activated/called up before 7am this morning.

This is not an uncommon event. Team announces they are calling someone up, but the "paperwork" isn't completed in time for our bidding.

Next week, I presume.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun May 04, 2014 6:09 pm

:arrow:
Before I read the first post, I assumed from the subject line it was a rookie who wanted help with FAAB.

I realize now that I was wrong and right at the same time. We've all been there.
:geek:

You'll find veterans (even DL ones who haven't yet played) in the Free Agent pool but rookie players not on the 25 man roster before 7am Sunday will not be in the FA pool until the next day and that's too late for FAAB this week.

The nice change they made this season is that any player who plays in an MLB game will stay in the FA pool even if they get sent down immediately afterward. This was not the case prior to this season.

Hope this helps.
:geek:
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun May 04, 2014 6:54 pm

mdecav wrote:A certain Toronto prospect is not available in the FAAB bidding. Can someone fix?
Here's why he wasn't added this week, from the Rules for all NFBC contests: The player pool is deemed closed of new free agents each Sunday at 7 AM ET before the FAAB bidding deadline and a player must have played at least 1 MLB game to be added to the pool at that time.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun May 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
mdecav wrote:A certain Toronto prospect is not available in the FAAB bidding. Can someone fix?
Here's why he wasn't added this week, from the Rules for all NFBC contests: The player pool is deemed closed of new free agents each Sunday at 7 AM ET before the FAAB bidding deadline and a player must have played at least 1 MLB game to be added to the pool at that time.

Greg
Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning/thought process in requiring a mlb game appearance before becoming eligible?
I mean, if a certain Toronto prospect were to have been brought up on Saturday...ahead of the Sunday 7am cutoff...why would it be beneficial to the league to wait until he has played a game before deeming him eligible?

Just curious.

swampass

Post by swampass » Sun May 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Here's my tip. dont stop searching for news and info til the clock says 10pm/7pm. can't tell you how many times with 5 minutes to go news breaks about a player. today its jay bruce... should be interesting to see who went for heisey. its not necessarily a good thing to get heisey but at least he should get some ab's in a good park for those of us starved for healthy OF's

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun May 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Atlas wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Greg
Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning/thought process in requiring a mlb game appearance before becoming eligible?
I mean, if a certain Toronto prospect were to have been brought up on Saturday...ahead of the Sunday 7am cutoff...why would it be beneficial to the league to wait until he has played a game before deeming him eligible?

Just curious.
Gekko needed more time to analyse the guys that were called up but hadn't yet pitched or played and Greg somehow agreed with him. Stupid rule if you ask me< it was fine before we fucked that up.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun May 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Atlas wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Greg

Just curious.
Don't listen to Bama, we didn't F up anything here.

Ever since the NFBC was formed in 2004, we've always had the rule in place that if a player wasn't drafted in your league and wasn't in the majors he wasn't available to be picked up until he arrived in the majors. What was our thought process there? We didn't want owners picking up top prospects weeks before they got called up to the majors and stashing them on their reserve rosters. We felt it would be fairer to have everyone bid on those prospects the week they got called up. Right or wrong, that has been the rule in all NFBC leagues since 2004.

Our owners helped us with the one game played minimum before being eligible in FAAB. In 2004 when we first used FAAB, players could be added to the free agent pool anytime on Sunday. Owners had to watch the free agent list all day long for last minute add-ins. The next year we put in a 7 am Sunday deadline for new free agents to be added to the pool so that owners could enjoy Sundays. Then we found that fantasy sites would announce that a player was being added to an MLB roster, but we could never add them to the free agent pool until it was official with Major League Baseball. So some prospects didn't get added by Sunday at 7 am and folks were upset. So we decided the easiest criteria was 1 game played before being eligible for bidding. It's definitive and everyone knows when a new prospect is being added.

As for Marcus Stroman, a lot of folks wanted to bid for him tonight, but he's not eligible to be picked up until he plays one game in the majors. That's the rule and we could have lively bidding next week. We'll see. Good luck all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Sun May 04, 2014 9:17 pm

He played today, so he's good to go next week.
Joe

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Atlas wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Greg

Just curious.
Don't listen to Bama, we didn't F up anything here.

Ever since the NFBC was formed in 2004, we've always had the rule in place that if a player wasn't drafted in your league and wasn't in the majors he wasn't available to be picked up until he arrived in the majors. What was our thought process there? We didn't want owners picking up top prospects weeks before they got called up to the majors and stashing them on their reserve rosters. We felt it would be fairer to have everyone bid on those prospects the week they got called up. Right or wrong, that has been the rule in all NFBC leagues since 2004.

Our owners helped us with the one game played minimum before being eligible in FAAB. In 2004 when we first used FAAB, players could be added to the free agent pool anytime on Sunday. Owners had to watch the free agent list all day long for last minute add-ins. The next year we put in a 7 am Sunday deadline for new free agents to be added to the pool so that owners could enjoy Sundays. Then we found that fantasy sites would announce that a player was being added to an MLB roster, but we could never add them to the free agent pool until it was official with Major League Baseball. So some prospects didn't get added by Sunday at 7 am and folks were upset. So we decided the easiest criteria was 1 game played before being eligible for bidding. It's definitive and everyone knows when a new prospect is being added.

As for Marcus Stroman, a lot of folks wanted to bid for him tonight, but he's not eligible to be picked up until he plays one game in the majors. That's the rule and we could have lively bidding next week. We'll see. Good luck all.
Okay. I understand. Thank you.
It just seems like we're trying to level a playing field instead of rewarding those who decide to put extra time in on their research.
Not a big deal. Happens infrequently.
Again, I was just trying to rationalize in my mind.
Thanks again.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm

You and many others were saved a lot of money which I saw spent elsewhere without the one game rule as people thought he would be starting .... turns out the Blue Jays want him to work out of the bullpen and prefer J.A. Happ as their fifth starter now. The bids will be a lot lower if he does pitch only in relief this week.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Captain Hook wrote:
You and many others were saved a lot of money which I saw spent elsewhere without the one game rule as people thought he would be starting .... turns out the Blue Jays want him to work out of the bullpen and prefer J.A. Happ as their fifth starter now. The bids will be a lot lower if he does pitch only in relief this week.
Not necessarily true. With the sharks that populate the NFBC, if minor leaguers were available to be bid on, someone would have picked him up for a dollar..... 3 weeks ago.