Jose Fernandez Expected to Go on DL; MRI Scheduled

Hells Satans

Jose Fernandez Expected to Go on DL; MRI Scheduled

Post by Hells Satans » Mon May 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

Sources: Jose Fernandez expected to be placed on disabled list. Exact nature of injury not known. #Marlins

clarkspencer ‏@clarkspencer 3m

Source: #marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez undergoing MRI in Los angeles

Hells Satans

Re: Jose Fernandez Expected to Go on DL; MRI Scheduled

Post by Hells Satans » Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Not sure how much I would read into the MRI in LA thing. Miami is in LA to play this week and Frank Jobe is dead.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon May 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Hells Satans wrote:Not sure how much I would read into the MRI in LA thing. Miami is in LA to play this week and Frank Jobe is dead.
On second thought, you can officially panic if you own Fernandez since ElAttrache is the Tommy John guy now that Jobe is dead.

Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert 1m

Fernandez is having an MRI in Los Angeles at Kerlan-Jobe Clinic. Possible that he will be seeing Dr. Neal ElAttrache for consult.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon May 12, 2014 3:55 pm

VELO from his last start. That doesn't look good after pitch 46 or so

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Hells Satans wrote:VELO from his last start. That doesn't look good after pitch 46 or so

Shoulder, I saw it in that start...

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 pm

damn. that kills about half my teams

Roger Dorn

Post by Roger Dorn » Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Gekko wrote:damn. that kills about half my teams
Yep, me too. Back to hiding.
Attachments
head-oven.jpg
head-oven.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 5774 times

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 12, 2014 4:24 pm

This would depressing if I didn't own him at all. Pulling him out of half a dozen lineups now.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon May 12, 2014 4:37 pm

Marlins placed RHP Jose Fernandez on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 10, with a right elbow sprain.

HE GONE (at least you had time to get him out of your lineup...assuming you had a replacement)

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm

At least it is not the coded diagnosis of doom, the dreaded "strained forearm".

Sorry guys...that just sucks...what is that...the equivalent of one full season in the majors and already on the DL.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon May 12, 2014 4:51 pm

I think Doughboys will officially be in mourning when he sees this - or maybe he saw it and is going postal in Colorado

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon May 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Roger Dorn wrote:
Gekko wrote:damn. that kills about half my teams
Yep, me too. Back to hiding.
This picture made me laugh. Out loud. Lowell.

Live by the slider, die by the slider. I don't have him anywhere (other than my salary cap entries), but damn if this isn't awful news for baseball. Very sad to hear. Good kid.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:At least it is not the coded diagnosis of doom, the dreaded "strained forearm".

Sorry guys...that just sucks...what is that...the equivalent of one full season in the majors and already on the DL.

MLB has data from their new injury tracking system that is saying all these young hard throwing pitchers, if they are going down with an injury, its at between 250-550 professional innings pitched. If they make it past that, the arm surgeries go way down from that point on. Fernandez was right at 350 IP's in the pros.

MLB TV has a injury panel discussion that aired yesterday with doctors, Smoltz, Costas, Jim Kaat all discussing the high amount of arm injuries with young pitchers. The doctors can almost predict now who will need surgery. Approx 50% of all pitchers in the majors currently have had some sort of Arm surgery. 20 years ago, it was 15%. The next big one who could down based on a variety of factors is Kershaw... His mechanics alone spell doom for him. If you have a son, who's a pitcher, he needs to play catch 10 more times than he throws from a mound. Playing catch is a lost art among kids and pros.

They re re-running the show a couple of times over the next few weeks.
Last edited by Outlaw on Mon May 12, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Captain Hook wrote:I think Doughboys will officially be in mourning when he sees this - or maybe he saw it and is going postal in Colorado
I feel the same way I did when Harvey went down. I feel bad for my teams, but I feel sorrier that I don't get to see him (probably) for a long time.
It's too bad.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Elbow Sprain, ligament involved, Obligatory MRI being already taken and being reviewed, TJ surgery a possibility... He Gone..

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Outlaw wrote:Elbow Sprain, ligament involved, Obligatory MRI being already taken and being reviewed, TJ surgery a possibility... He Gone..
Debbie Downer much?
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Outlaw wrote:Elbow Sprain, ligament involved, Obligatory MRI being already taken and being reviewed, TJ surgery a possibility... He Gone..
Debbie Downer much?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Outlaw wrote:
Hells Satans wrote:VELO from his last start. That doesn't look good after pitch 46 or so

Shoulder, I saw it in that start...
Heard that he was throwing up before the San Diego game when got lit up. Wonder how much that factored into this injury (forced him to muscle up pitches and throw mechanics out of whack?) and curious what the narrative on this post-mortem will be. Redmond to blame? Why make him pitch if throwing up prior to the game? Don't they say it's not the number of innings or pitches, but the stressful pitches? Doesn't pitching while sick create stress pitches?

As an aside, have we fully appreciated the greatness and durability that is Randy Johnson? Was reading my new Baseball Digest this month where they discuss lefty pitchers and I noticed his career numbers and DAMN. The big lefty mullett has some awesome career numbers, wish Iwould have appreciated his greatness more while still playing.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Everybody has a reason after the fact. The truth is we don't know who will be the next Tommy John victim.
We can use velocity, age, innings, but the truth is that we don't know till it happens.

If Felix Hernandez receives bad news this week, the no strike out game will be used as a precursor.
For Darvish, it'll be the stress and pitches in trying to get a 'no-hitter'.
Nobody knows till it happens, then, everybody knows why.
On my tombstone-

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 12, 2014 5:23 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Everybody has a reason after the fact. The truth is we don't know who will be the next Tommy John victim.
We can use velocity, age, innings, but the truth is that we don't know till it happens.

If Felix Hernandez receives bad news this week, the no strike out game will be used as a precursor.
It's pretty predictable these days with all the Data they have and all the "known" reasons, only question for most pitchers now is when, not IF.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Outlaw wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:Everybody has a reason after the fact. The truth is we don't know who will be the next Tommy John victim.

It's pretty predictable these days with all the Data they have and all the "known" reasons, only question for most pitchers now is when, not IF.
Ok Mike, pick three pitchers that will have Tommy John this year.
It's predictable, right?
On my tombstone-

EWeaver

Post by EWeaver » Mon May 12, 2014 5:38 pm

injuries define success and failure to such a extreme extent now that i'm losing my ability to enjoy playing fantasy baseball.

might as well throw darts at random names, this is a joke

also, too bad for jose, he was a pleasure to watch. hope he comes back ASB 2015 and does a wainwright, not a beachy

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 12, 2014 5:40 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Outlaw wrote:

Ok Mike, pick three pitchers that will have Tommy John this year.
It's predictable, right?

I could give you 10 without even looking, the only question, as I said is when.. 4 weeks ago I when I was looking at data and actually put a list together, and I know it's after the fact, but Fernandez was high on the list of pitchers who probably would have an arm injury. But I'm not going to name anyone, lets just say I'll avoid most of them next year. Just check the PRO innings of the last 50 pitchers to have surgery, almost all of them within a range of IP. Another tell tale piece of Data is velocity, the higher it is at young ages, the higher the odds surgery is on the Horizon. Someone like Rosenthal could last 5 years, because he wont hit the innings range until then.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 12, 2014 5:42 pm

EWeaver wrote:injuries define success and failure to such a extreme extent now that i'm losing my ability to enjoy playing fantasy baseball.

might as well throw darts at random names, this is a joke

also, too bad for jose, he was a pleasure to watch. hope he comes back ASB 2015 and does a wainwright, not a beachy

the number of pitchers who come back as good as before is around 70%. its no guarantee that even someone like Harvey will be the same.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Right.
The predictability comes in knowing why AFTER the fact.
I ask for three.You have 10. None are given until afterwards.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Mon May 12, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-