Thanks To Dan Kenyon For Doughboys Daily Stuff

Greg Ambrosius

Thanks To Dan Kenyon For Doughboys Daily Stuff

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:45 am

Last year we opened a Forum for Dan Kenyon called Doughboys Daily Stuff so that folks could enjoy his retrospectives and opinions on baseball. Dan put a lot of time and effort into that Forum and he kept many of you coming to the Message Boards each day to see what he had to say. We thank him for all the time he took to do that.

Dan says he now has a new job and he won't be able to post on a daily basis like he has in the past. That's unfortunate for all of us, but we totally understand. That being said, we'll leave the Forum open so that people can read old posts and to encourage Dan to post when he can. And like I told him, I'm keeping it open because like every great rock 'n roll band I expect a reunion tour in the near future!! :lol:

Personally, I always loved Dan's historical notes and perspectives on the game. He taught me things about past players I loved that I never knew before. I'm not as old as Dan (at least I don't think so!!), but I love the history of the game as much as he does. I have a feeling he will continue with some of his old-time stories, or at least I hope so.

You know, the Message Boards of our high-stakes events and all high-stakes events were really THE PLACE to be in the early years. They were the place you learned about some of these top high-stakes players, where you bragged about your home league wins, where you debated about upcoming prospects and where you debated about prospective draft picks. It was THE PLACE to communicate and really the only place to discuss that one upcoming draft. Think about it: In the early years, we spent months talking, debating and dissing each other for one draft, the Main Event.

In the WCOFF back in the early days, they had one Saturday draft and folks lived on the Message Boards every day discussing players, draft spots, strategies before their one Main Event draft. There really were no other events leading up to the Las Vegas live draft; so folks lived on the boards and talked football. The same thing happened in the early days of the NFBC and NFFC. Before anyone knew anyone else, you had guys like Gordon Gekko trash-talking daily and some people found it amusing and others hated it. I've left it all alone through the years because this was your playground and I figured you'd all find a way to deal with the bullies and nannies. Kids always work it out for themselves.

Because we now have year-round drafting and Daily Fantasy Sports, there's less time for people to post daily on Message Boards, especially during the season. That's okay. As Quahogs said, we've debated all the rules, we've adjusted the game together with good debates, and we continue to ask for software upgrades. The forums are still useful, but in different ways. And since we all know each other so well now, we understand the smack talk better and can deal with it better. It's not so offensive anymore.

Tom and I try to keep the boards informative during the off-season with draft results, but these are your boards. They are a way for you folks to stay in touch with each other. And again, during the season everyone is so busy with their teams that it's understandable that traffic is down and postings are down. It's okay. It's a natural progression with you folks playing in so many leagues and in so many ways today (DFS especially).

We hope you find time Dan to keep posting in the Daily Stuff forum. And hopefully everyone appreciates what Dan has done these last 3-5 years. He's been a joy to read each day. Let's thank him for his time and effort so far and encourage him to return regularly when time permits. I know I want him to return when he can.

Thanks to all who stay on the boards and provide blogs on their teams or insights on injuries or anything else. The weekly contest was a way to keep folks together during the season and to give folks another draft to talk about. I think it's working. But if we need to do more for the boards we will.

Good luck all and THANKS DAN for all you've done with your writings. They are Hall of Fame caliber.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Re: Thanks To Dan Kenyon For Doughboys Daily Stuff

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 am

Completely agree. Dan's posts are routinely excellent, well-written, educational, and a pleasure to read. Doughboys Daily Stuff is something I check daily for new material. I hope it keeps coming (to the extent Dan's schedule allows).

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am

With all due respect to all others who post and are invested in these boards, Dan IS this board. The best without doubt.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Yup, even during the dog days of summer when the boards are typically a barren wasteland, Doughy always gave us a reason to visit. Congrats on your new career opportunity Dan. I'm happy for you, even as I'm sorry for the rest of us that'll have to settle for fewer good reads around these parts.

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:37 am

I've often thought that Dan is such a good sports writer that his posts shoulda coulda been in SI or ESPN Magazine.

His ability to weave baseball history, humor, and fantasy baseball into entertaining, educational, ease-to-read essays is unparalleled on these boards and really, anywhere in the sports reporting world. And to do it which such class all along the way raised up all of us who participate and read these boards.

Thanks, Dan.
- Robert

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 am

Rainiers wrote:I've often thought that Dan is such a good sports writer that his posts shoulda coulda been in SI or ESPN Magazine.

His ability to weave baseball history, humor, and fantasy baseball into entertaining, educational, ease-to-read essays is unparalleled on these boards and really, anywhere in the sports reporting world. And to do it which such class all along the way raised up all of us who participate and read these boards.

Thanks, Dan.

Well Said on all the above comments

Hopefully Dan will still find time once in great while to share his wisdom and insights, He is what they call a Baseball Junkie, but the term that really fits, is "Great Guy"!

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:39 pm

I love Dan's posts! I've assumed he'll post as time permits. Unless I'm missing something here? I'm hoping Dan is in good health and we can be happy about a new direction he is pursuing. Time for a class update???

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:25 am

Walla Walla wrote:I love Dan's posts! I've assumed he'll post as time permits. Unless I'm missing something here? I'm hoping Dan is in good health and we can be happy about a new direction he is pursuing. Time for a class update???
I'm doing fine, John. And I will post as time permits.
My part time job at 10-12 hours per week at the softball fields has turned into supervising, staffing and being the on-site supervisor for the Park and Rec program. I also score keep for the minor league team here, so my wife likes to say that I'm the only one in the world that is around a ball park seven days a week and spends his spare time watching and listening to MLB games and then writing about them.
Since my time is cut to make posts, I suggested to Greg that he take down my 'Doughboys Daily' subject line, but he is keeping it open........ Thanks Greg.
There were some posts that I was working on, especially one about a Hall of Famer, and I will get those posted.
And as I get more comfortable with my job, I'm sure that I can steal away more and more time to make more posts.
It's a labor of love.
Thanks for all the thoughts from everybody. They're very much appreciated.

Dan
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am

Good to hear that the one-of-a-kind Mr. Kenyon will continue to make these boards interesting.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 am

So I assume Frito-Lay said you were over-qualified for their taster opening?
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:39 am

Sounds like you will be busy this summer.......

I'm glad to hear that you will still be writing here as time permits :D
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Good to hear Dan. As you can see, you are much appreciated on these boards by us and by all of our participants. It sounds like the new job will lead to a few more baseball stories from your day job experiences. We all look forward to them.

Baseball, baseball and more baseball. You can never get enough.

We look forward to the next Daily Stuff when you have time.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:18 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote: My part time job at 10-12 hours per week at the softball fields has turned into supervising, staffing and being the on-site supervisor for the Park and Rec program. I also score keep for the minor league team here, so my wife likes to say that I'm the only one in the world that is around a ball park seven days a week and spends his spare time watching and listening to MLB games and then writing about them.
Funny, but when I read that Doughy had less time to post on these boards due to new work commitments, I assumed that he had gotten a writing gig for ESPN, CBS, Rotoworld, SI or some other sports entity that had finally wised up to Dan's obvious gifts for putting pen to paper (or keyboard in this case). There are so many less gifted writing talents that have filled these roles (trying to avoid a mirror while writing this last part), I figured it was just a matter of time before one of these sites came knocking at Dan's door.

Until that eventuality comes to pass, at least his new endeavor keeps him in a place he obviously loves most, the ball field. Enjoy Dan. It's few that get to make money at something they truly love. You're one of the lucky ones.

sandckaye

Post by sandckaye » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:26 am

Just a personal note...I AM glad and happy for Dan that he has a job that he loves and would do for free...Dan is one of the most respected players in this league and I am proud to call him my friend..He has been the only reason I keep coming back to the message board. Good luck on your new job and write when you can I will be looking forward to seeing them

Stan