Kendrys Morales

Edwards Kings

Kendrys Morales

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:47 pm

The Twins and Kendrys Morales have agreed to a one-year contract worth a prorated portion of $12 million.
That means that Morales, pending he passes his physical, will earn in the neighborhood of $7.6 million this season. No word yet on what a corresponding roster move may be once he does sign, but Jason Kubel is a candidate to be designated for assignment.

OK. Who had the Twinkies in the "Where will Morales land pool"? No one? NO ONE! And you call yourself experts! :lol: 8-)
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Captain Hook

Re: Kendrys Morales

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:23 pm

:lol: ROFL tru dat Wayne

and while other spots would have been better, Morales should still be good for some needed help with HR/RBI as the DH for the Twinkies

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Do you think he gets traded in 6 weeks?

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Didn't see this at all. Seems a strange landing place. Little if any opportunity to play first base and hitting in a pitcher's park by most accounts. If all he could get was a pro-rated one-year deal, you'd think he'd try to play for a team in a hitter's park, kind of like how Nelson Cruz wound up with the Orioles. Of course, you never know whether other teams really were making contract offers.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:26 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:Didn't see this at all. Seems a strange landing place. Little if any opportunity to play first base and hitting in a pitcher's park by most accounts. If all he could get was a pro-rated one-year deal, you'd think he'd try to play for a team in a hitter's park, kind of like how Nelson Cruz wound up with the Orioles. Of course, you never know whether other teams really were making contract offers.

Mike

It was a surprise to me too, but maybe it shouldn't have been.

The Twins have been making a strong effort to put a competitive team on the field this year. With Arcia, Willingham healthy and now Morales in the middle of the order, their offense is much improved.

As far as being a good fit or not for Kendrys, at least it's a AL team. He is not much of a fielder, and the DH role will be good. Target Field is more forgiving to left-handed pull hitters, and Kendrys lefthanded swing will play OK there. Its also better than landing with the Yankees where he might not get full time at bats.

On a side note... The Twins and Astros are making many moves that demonstrate they are trying to be competitive, and that is so refreshing. Same can't be said of the Pirates, which is sadly ironic. The Bucs were the ones that were considered playoff contenders at the beginning of the year.
- Robert

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:22 am

Good points. Kudos to the Twins for spending the money to get Morales. While I don't see any hitters that are scary to pitch to, the offense is a lot better, with a nice mix of young players with potential. Pitching still is a big weakness, although Hughes has been a good pickup (thought Nolasco would be much better, especially at home). The Astros actually may be very good in a couple of years. Numerous very high draft picks are bound to help, and it seems like they have a lot of young talent with upside. To me, the Pirates have been a huge disappointment. For them to largely stay pat (losing Burnett, gaining Ike Davis) after being THE feel good story last year is a real shame, especially for their fans. I don't want to hear about being a small market team - the fans stepped up and they had strong attendance last year. Instead of investing increased revenues in the team, they spent squat. Polanco should have been up months ago (and, no, unfortunately, I don't own him on any team, so this is not sour grapes). I also think their "strategy" of blackmailing Polanco by keeping him in the minors because he wouldn't sign an extremely team-friendly long-term contract is bush and won't make guys like Polanco want to spend their entire careers in Pittsburgh.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:00 am

"Mitch Moreland will undergo surgery on his left ankle this week.
The hits keep coming for the Rangers. It's not clear when Moreland suffered the injury, but he's expected to be sidelined for the next three months, meaning this could potentially be a season-ending injury. Donnie Murphy will be used at first base for now, but general manager Jon Daniels will consider other internal and possibly external options."

Jon Daniels: Sombitch...Mary...Get Morales' agent on the line!

Mary: Pick up line one (under her breath)....doofus...

Jon Daniels: Hey buddy..how are...what? WHERE? MINNESOTA! OK...gotta go...I got...I got..ummm...I got another big time stick on the other line...yeah...right...that's the ticket. Right...let's do lunch? (after he hangs up) And I will probably be serving you...You want fries with that?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Wow! You'd think with Fielder gone and Moreland hurt, the Rangers would be able to outbid the Twins for Kendrys Morales. Perhaps the Rangers are just packing it in with all of the injuries? They may not be, but it sure seems like it. Even without knowing about Moreland's injury, you would've thought the Rangers would be all over Morales on a one-year rental.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

swampass

Post by swampass » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:Wow! You'd think with Fielder gone and Moreland hurt, the Rangers would be able to outbid the Twins for Kendrys Morales. Perhaps the Rangers are just packing it in with all of the injuries? They may not be, but it sure seems like it. Even without knowing about Moreland's injury, you would've thought the Rangers would be all over Morales on a one-year rental.

Mike

i think i read that moreland didnt disclose the injury until AFTER the morales signing. what a shitty move by him if true. i get why you fight through because you are now starting at first but at some point you got to come clean. i wonder if he messed it up when he pitched in interleague. he looked pretty nasty as a pitcher but as an owner i can say that he stunk as a hitter this season.

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 pm

As a morales owner who has been waiting patiently I just can't believe it was Minnesota and not the rangers that signed him. Very disappointing. Brilliant move by them but bad for us owners!

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:26 pm

He's a much better fantasy player than a real player. That's a lot to pay for a player that can only play DH and hasn't played since last season. Texas also likes to rotate their players through the DH slot to get them a breather without getting their bats out of the lineup. They clearly need to do something about the holes that are Donnie Murphy and Michael choice, but they may be better off addressing that through a trade than dumping a bunch of money on a guy that hasn't be right since his injury.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:29 am

Chthroop wrote:As a morales owner who has been waiting patiently I just can't believe it was Minnesota and not the rangers that signed him. Very disappointing. Brilliant move by them but bad for us owners!
This is still good news. The park effects @ Target Field haven't been too bad in recent years and Morales hit well in a pitcher's parks last season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor