Was Second Round The Key This Year?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:34 am

There has been a lot of discussion about the first round in this year's draft and there's no question that every good team needs an anchor to build the foundation around. There were some solid choices in the first round like Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero and David Wright, and a few disappointing performers like Derrek Lee and Mark Teixeira.

But it's interesting to note that the second round may have been the most important round of the 2006 draft. Fantasy MVP candidates like Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano and Travis Hafner went in the second round along with guys like Chase Utley, Derek Jeter and Grady Sizemore. Teaming up one of those key second round choices with the right first round pick seemed to be the recipe to success.

Here's the ADPs of the second round picks:

15. Jose Reyes (ADP was 16.64)

16. Chase Utley (16.88)

17. Carlos Beltran (17.64)

18. Miguel Tejada (17.84)

19. Michael Young (19.24)

20. Jimmy Rollins (19.88)

21. Ichiro Suzuki (20.04)

22. Alfonso Soriano (23.04)

23. Juan Pierre (23.52)

24. Todd Helton (24.32)

25. Derek Jeter (26.72)

26. Aramis Ramirez (27.64)

27. Travis Hafner (28.64)

28. Grady Sizemore (28.92)

29. Jake Peavy (30.68)

30. Victor Martinez (32.44)

Oh, by the way, Ryan Howard was the 41st ranked player, going as high as 28th in one league and as low as 66th in another. Ouch.

Obviously you needed more than two picks to create a championship team and the last 28 rounds were just as important as the first two, but the major surprises seemed to land in the second round. Did you team up the right two during your draft? Or do you regret the decision you made in the second round? Whatever happened, just remember one thing: In six more months we get to do it all over again! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:32 pm

Interesting topic. Yeah, I went Bay then Pods and now I wonder why I have a team full of good players that is not quite getting it done. The plan was more to go Derrek Lee then Pierre, but Lee had the ST injury so I took Bay a little early at 5 because I didn't really like anyone else. I really wated a speedster in the second and Pods was the only guy left.

My preferred draft pick, though, was actually 5 mostly because I figured it would be early enough in the second for a good speedster (wrong!) and early enough in the third to get Howard (it was) so at least part of my plan worked out.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Dirt Dogs

Post by Dirt Dogs » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:08 am

Yeah too bad i lost Hafner when i need him most right now! My league is so close in HR and i just lost my best guy!
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:29 am

Originally posted by RedSox Nation 2:

Yeah too bad i lost Hafner when i need him most right now! My league is so close in HR and i just lost my best guy! That guy is a hitting machine. Tough break indeed. By the way, Hafner went as high as 16th in the NFBC and as low as 44th. Wow, getting him at the end of the third round would have been a good start, huh?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:47 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by RedSox Nation 2:

Yeah too bad i lost Hafner when i need him most right now! My league is so close in HR and i just lost my best guy! That guy is a hitting machine. Tough break indeed. By the way, Hafner went as high as 16th in the NFBC and as low as 44th. Wow, getting him at the end of the third round would have been a good start, huh? [/QUOTE]Greg- best guess you think Hafner will go 1st round on avg in the NFBC next year?

[ September 12, 2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Chest Rockwell ]

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:11 pm

I bet he goes at the end of the 1st 11th to 15th. While a hitting machine, lack of a postion and speed makes it hard to pick any higher imho...

spy

[ September 12, 2006, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Spyhunter ]

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:46 am

Chest,

There were alot of 2nd rounders this year that warrant 1st round consideration. Maybe picks 13-15 may not be a bad place to be in '07? ;)
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by RedSox Nation 2:

Yeah too bad i lost Hafner when i need him most right now! My league is so close in HR and i just lost my best guy! That guy is a hitting machine. Tough break indeed. By the way, Hafner went as high as 16th in the NFBC and as low as 44th. Wow, getting him at the end of the third round would have been a good start, huh? [/QUOTE]Greg- best guess you think Hafner will go 1st round on avg in the NFBC next year?
[/QUOTE]I'm going to start a thread about the first round in 2007 soon. It's never too early to start talking about next year! :D Stay tuned.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius