Tie-Breaker MLB Games After Sunday

Greg Ambrosius

Tie-Breaker MLB Games After Sunday

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 am

Just a heads up that FAAB is now complete in the NFBC. Even if there is an MLB regular season tie-breaker game on Monday, we do not allow any free agent pickups this weekend.

Major League Baseball considers any tie-breaker game as part of its regular season, so the NFBC also includes those games if they are played this season. The NFBC season ends when the MLB regular season ends. If there is a game played on Monday as part of the regular season tie-breaker, those results will count in the NFBC. Owners will be able to adjust their starting lineups on Monday as if that is a new week. It's how we've always run the end of the season in the NFBC.

Good luck everyone and thanks for a great, great NFBC season.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

JohnP

Re: Tie-Breaker MLB Games After Sunday

Post by JohnP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

I don't like this rule. I agree that this is how you have always handled it. Agree that MLB considers it part of the regular season. Just doesn't feel right to have leagues potentially decided on a 163rd game that only a small percentage of the player pool will be involved in. Obviously a few owners will be more fortunate than others and will potentially have the ability to gain some stats that additional day. Furthermore, that "advantage" is amplified by granting the ability to change lineups on Monday. If the season ended on a Wednesday and the tie-breaker game was Thursday - would you be able to change your lineup? But since it is a Monday you call it a new period and we can change line-ups? Here is hoping there are no league titles or money finishes decided by these potential games!

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:32 pm

JohnP wrote:I don't like this rule. I agree that this is how you have always handled it. Agree that MLB considers it part of the regular season. Just doesn't feel right to have leagues potentially decided on a 163rd game that only a small percentage of the player pool will be involved in. Obviously a few owners will be more fortunate than others and will potentially have the ability to gain some stats that additional day. Furthermore, that "advantage" is amplified by granting the ability to change lineups on Monday. If the season ended on a Wednesday and the tie-breaker game was Thursday - would you be able to change your lineup? But since it is a Monday you call it a new period and we can change line-ups? Here is hoping there are no league titles or money finishes decided by these potential games!
I agree... This could seriously benefit my team in the national auction championship. If OAK/CLE/LA/SF play a Game 163 I could have Bauer, Hudson and Kershaw all starting, with Allen or Doolittle in for a possible save.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 am

Here's another scenario..

The Yankees look in serious danger of being rained out on Thursday.
Do they make it up? When?
They're in Boston for the last weekend.

Do they maneuver Baltimore back in on Monday for the make up and give Jeter his last game at home?
Buck will be pissed and rightly so.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 am

Atlas wrote:Here's another scenario..

The Yankees look in serious danger of being rained out on Thursday.
Do they make it up? When?
They're in Boston for the last weekend.

Do they maneuver Baltimore back in on Monday for the make up and give Jeter his last game at home?
Buck will be pissed and rightly so.
So long as the game doesn't have any playoff implications, it won't get played. I'm not sure if best overall record counts in that scenario.

This, by the way, is why I agree with the manner NFBC handles the 163rd game.

It's a quirk, just like teams only playing 161 games or playing a bunch of extra inning games. We don't control for that.

I do however, agree there should be no lineup changes on that Monday.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 am

You know what the implications are?

$$$$$$$$$$ for the Yankees!

They're going to want this sell out in the worst way.

Big money!
souvenirs...concessions...parking...