BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN!

Edwards Kings

BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN!

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:36 am

From ESPN:

"Greg Walker resigned from the coaching staff Tuesday, a move that was expected after the Braves struggled through a miserable season offensively. Atlanta batted .241 as a team and scored only 573 runs, the second-lowest total in the majors. Only seven teams hit fewer homers than the Braves (123), an especially troubling number because the team had the fourth-most strikeouts (1,369) and was supposedly built for power.

Down the stretch, the offense was especially feeble. The Braves lost 18 of their final 25 games to fall out of playoff contention, a stretch that included six shutouts and an average of less than 2.4 runs per game. In a statement issued by the team, Walker said he told manager Fredi Gonzalez of the decision to quit during the final weekend of the season at Philadelphia.

Walker had been the hitting coach for three years, coming to Atlanta after serving in the same position with the Chicago White Sox from 2003-11."

A quote that did not make the final press version of the report:

"And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!" from long-time Braves homey Wayne Edwards.

"Don't come back here!" collectively shouted from White Sox fans"

ESPN further reports:

"I grew up in south Georgia and have been a Braves fan my whole life," said Walker, a native of Douglas. "I am grateful for the opportunity they gave me."

Further quotes that did not make the final version:

"I want his South Georgia passport rescinded!" said Edwards. "I bet he don't even like grits!"

Further from ESPN:

"Gonzalez is scheduled to meet Wednesday with interim general manager John Hart, a session that could lead to more changes on the coaching staff. Walker's assistant hitting coach, Scott Fletcher, is also thought to be in jeopardy."

Further quotes that did not make the final version:

"Ya think?! Hey, Walker and Fletcher....Mendoza called. He wants his line back! The Braves hitters are so screwed up they couldn't hit a wall if they ran into one!"

So, in a way, the Braves win....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bama

Re: BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN!

Post by Bama » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 am

Poor guy. Its hard to make chicken salad with only chicken shit to work with. I guess Atlanta needs as many scapegoats as they can find but until they get rid of some of their overrated garbage position players then I don't see it getting any better for the next hitting coach.

The Mighty Men

Re: BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN!

Post by The Mighty Men » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Wayne is right. Walker was awful in Chicago. Why would anyone expect him to suddenly become a good hitting coach?
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1