How Does DFS Affect Your Season-Long Participation?

Greg Ambrosius

How Does DFS Affect Your Season-Long Participation?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Okay, Chad brought up the topic today about daily fantasy sports games possibly cutting into season-long participation for many in the industry and I thought it would be fun to hear from the most dedicated fantasy baseball player base in the industry about this. I know many of you are playing DFS along with NFBC games and we've even partnered with FanDuel the last couple of years to sponsor our live drafts and provide some NFBC-only weekly games. We will be working with FanDuel again in 2015 and hope to announce the $100 off discount very soon. So let's hear it, are we sleeping with the devil or is this a marriage of two industry leaders?

First thing I'll ask is:
Will daily fantasy baseball cut into your season-long participation in 2015?

or

Will you enhance your season-long participation with daily fantasy baseball during the season?

Are people playing DFS games without playing season-long games these days? Is it easier to just play DFS without learning the player pool early? Has the live draft lost its luster with you as a fantasy player or is that still part of the fun?

Give us your honest answers because as the market grows we want to grow with it. We've had 11 years of incredible growth and 2014 was our biggest year ever even with all of the competition around us. We know that some of our customers have left us to just play DFS, but we've also gotten several new customers who have succeeded in DFS and are looking to branch out. So it works both ways. Let's hear what your plans are in 2015.

One of the most important jobs I have each year is setting the guaranteed prize money around the expected participation level in each contest. If I set it too high, we don't make money. If I set it too low, we don't get the expected buzz beforehand and possibly sell out too early. I need to know what the competition is providing and plan correctly. For 2015, with Easter on our Second Weekend and DFS growing, I kept our guaranteed prizes based on 2014's numbers, the first time I didn't project major growth across the board. In fact, for the NFBC Primetime we just had to cut the grand prize from $100,000 to $80,000 because our prizes were based on 300+ teams and we had only 240 teams last year. This year prizes are based on 252 teams and that's it. Yes, we dropped $20,000 from the prize pool, but we are also planning for 5 less leagues and understanding that the market isn't clamoring for this format. Still, we believe a 12-team Main Event makes sense.

Okay, let us know what you think of the fantasy baseball market today. Are you doing it all? Are you playing more fantasy baseball games than ever before? Are you growing toward one market over another? Is this also happening for you in football or are the sports different? Thanks for any feedback and this should be an interesting thread.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Re: How Does DFS Affect Your Season-Long Participation?

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 pm

DFS appeals more to both a gambling and casual mentality to participating ... instant gratification, lottery-type payoff, ability to hedge and structure/diversify investment in multiple entries, and for the casual/curious player a minimal commitment of time and money. Given that, the market is (obviously) bigger and likely to stay that way.

Season leagues are more analytical, more about projecting and evaluating players and teams. I think they're more engaging for those that have a real interest in the game of baseball as opposed to those who just want to gamble on it. I also think they're far more beneficial to the professional sports leagues themselves in terms of driving interest, relative to DFS.

The gambler community is much bigger than the wish-I-was-a-GM community, so DFS should continue to grow at a faster pace until saturated. However, I don't think DFS is a big threat to the season games because there is a smaller, but still growing niche of players like the majority of us here that have an actual interest in MLB beyond just gambling on it. I think you'll continue to see exactly what you've seen so far, Greg ... DFS will pull a small percentage of players from the season ranks, but the advertising reach of DFS will likewise fuel interest for a small percentage of players from DFS to season leagues. Given that you get to pull from the larger pool, it should be a net positive for the NFBC.

DFS aside, my shift this year is toward more DC, less FAAB. I think the DC can be the faster growth format because of the reduced time commitment in combination with ever-shrinking attention span. The primary challenge here to accelerating DCs even further is being getting better control of the time flow of these leagues.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:38 pm

I play DFS because on days I have time to review the weather/lineups I can make money long term playing 50/50's. The number of people who put in a dead lineup because they didn't hear about a late scratch or inclement weather is greater than the rake %. I don't get excited about DFS because he really is kind of a basic game. You look at splits, etc but must of your competitors know the same information and the sample size is so ridiculously small that the predictive value is not there like it is in NBA. For me, profit comes from entering a large enough 50/50 that will have enough dead entries to give me an advantage in the long run. ON days where I'm especially busy and haven't had time to follow the latest developments I do not play.

Season long to me is where my heart is because that is where the real skill comes into play. The preparation is so much greater than any other sport. You can through hard work really gain advantage over peers and strive to improve each year. DFS doesn't offer that.

Sorry for the long answer...the botttom line is I do both and one has no bearing on doing the other. I could take or leave DFS but I will always play season long. For me a bigger competitor to the amount of money I spend on season long fantasy is what I spend gambling on sports.

Off topic...my biggest bet peeve is the amount of programming time Sirius XM devotes to DFS. I get a show from 6 to 7 with the latest on weather/injuries but it really is ridiculous trying to analyze who is going to do what in a sample size of 4 AB's.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm

KJ Duke wrote:DFS appeals more to both a gambling and casual mentality to participating ... instant gratification, lottery-type payoff, ability to hedge and structure/diversify investment in multiple entries, and for the casual/curious player a minimal commitment of time and money. Given that, the market is (obviously) bigger and likely to stay that way.

Season leagues are more analytical, more about projecting and evaluating players and teams. I think they're more engaging for those that have a real interest in the game of baseball as opposed to those who just want to gamble on it.

The gambler community is much bigger than the wish-I-was-a-GM community, so DFS should continue to grow at a faster pace until saturated. However, I don't think DFS is a big threat to the season games because there is a smaller, but still growing niche of players like the majority of us here that have an actual interest in MLB beyond just gambling on it. I think you'll continue to see exactly what you've seen so far, Greg ... DFS will pull a small percentage of players from the season ranks, but the advertising reach of DFS will likewise fuel interest for a small percentage of players from DFS. And given that you get to pull from the larger pool, it should be a net positive.

DFS aside, my shift this year is toward more DC, less FAAB. I think the DC can be the faster growth format because of the reduced time commitment in combination with ever-shrinking attention span. The primary challenge here to accelerating DCs even further is being getting better control of the time flow of these leagues.
Thanks for the input KJ. Much appreciated. I agree with your assessment of the less FAAB leagues, which is why I was so pumped to debut the NFBC Cutline Championship this year. I think we've worked together to put a quick, appealing format together that allows 2+ hour drafts every night, an optimal scoring lineup feature that saves time for everyone and very, very minimal free agent pickup periods to improve your team. From the All-Star break to the end, there are no moves an owner has to make, which allows some folks to carry on as normal with their fantasy football preparation. I think that contest will appeal to both segments of fantasy players and could be an even bigger hit than our Draft Champions Leagues in 2016. Wish we could have pulled it off for this year.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Daily and Season long are two different monsters as everyone knows. Daily is all about finding the best bang for your buck and having more luck on your side on any given night. To gain an advantage imo in daily fantasy, you have to play every day almost so you can have the sample size bigger to take advantage of your players you think are undervalued and your stars playing like they should. I play DFS more for just gambling if want to know if I won or lost in that given day or more as a lottery ticket. With that said, DFS will never cut into my participation in season long games. I get "more bang for my buck" playing a season long game than in DFS. It is also, in my mind, how fantasy should be. More a game of skill than luck (yes I know DFS is also a game of skill but more luck is involved if you are not playing everyday). DFS is more of a side game since I'm already paying attention, it doesn't really enhance anything I do with the participation with my teams. Just like CDM salary cap game has nothing to do with how I manage my NFBC team. Every game is different and serves a different purpose; I don't really see them connected even though they all have the same philosophy behind them.

IMO, DFS is made for the U.S. public. Short attention spans and easy to sign up and easy to understand. Does that mean they will win anything? No. Many probably don't even know they are swimming in shark infested waters that do it do a living or close to it. The live drafts are what make the NFBC what it is. Sure, guaranteed prize money and stability help, but there is nothing like the live drafts and being in a room with people that speak your language. I for one like the family atmosphere and competition knowing that only the best come to play here. If only you could market it like it was the WSOP and have the industry think that as well, you might see a huge increase like the WSOP is now with newbies all around the world coming to join to just get the experience.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:18 pm

There is definitely a lure for baseball for me. Football is pot luck IMO.

My conservative DFS baseball goal this year is $15,000 in profit from an initial investment of under $1,000. IF I decide to use more seed money, I'll make a run at 50K+

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:25 pm

It seems as though all of the highly recognized DFS players have formed syndicates. We'll I formed one as well. I'll take my chances with this guy over ANY of theirs.

The DFS community is on notice...

Enjoy your remaining time at the top. There's a new syndicate in town.

GoCrazyFolks

Post by GoCrazyFolks » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:57 pm

DFS is mainly NBA for me; probably way too much. Some NFL thrown in but very little baseball for most of the reasons stated above. I do participate in many of the cheaper Draft Masters "draft it and forget it" leagues, especially NL and Al formats.
Rick Hayden
aka Go Crazy Folks

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:09 pm

GoCrazyFolks wrote:DFS is mainly NBA for me; probably way too much. Some NFL thrown in but very little baseball for most of the reasons stated above. I do participate in many of the cheaper Draft Masters "draft it and forget it" leagues, especially NL and Al formats.
NBA DFS seems like the learning curve and key attributes are small (relative to baseball)...meaning...anyone can read what all the NBA DFS experts say and load their lineups with top recommended player and switch out players near lineup lock if someone should get scratched. In summary, good luck consistently making money in that format.

For me, I want to play in leagues where the learning curve and key attributes are large and complex 8-)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Gekko wrote:
GoCrazyFolks wrote:DFS is mainly NBA for me; probably way too much. Some NFL thrown in but very little baseball for most of the reasons stated above. I do participate in many of the cheaper Draft Masters "draft it and forget it" leagues, especially NL and Al formats.
NBA DFS seems like the learning curve and key attributes are small (relative to baseball)...meaning...anyone can read what all the NBA DFS experts say and load their lineups with top recommended player and switch out players near lineup lock if someone should get scratched. In summary, good luck consistently making money in that format.

For me, I want to play in leagues where the learning curve and key attributes are large and complex 8-)
I sure hope they have message boards for you over there.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Greg - You have a monopoly on my message board posts 8-)

Texas Connection

Post by Texas Connection » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 pm

It's funny I happen to be reading this while I am playing in the WSOP circuit event in Tunica, Mississippi. I happen to be wearing my fanduel.com free shirt that I got maybe 3 years ago from fanduel at the NFBC drafts. It use to be very few people knew what fanduel even was when I was playing these tournaments. Now it seems like all of the under 40 crowd at the events are playing them.

This morning at my table (before my set lost to a bigger set). The dealer played on fanduel and another guy had started playing 2 months ago. He said he did it just for entertainment and he didn't join earlier because he thought it might be similar to the whole black friday thing in poker when the government shut down all the U.S. internet poker sites. He really enjoyed the game and knew he was a small fish but he didn't care. I asked him if he would consider doing a season long game on NFBC. He had no interest and thought it would be too difficult and time consuming.

I am a huge baseball fan and believe I will always love the season long game. The problem I had with the NFBC only daily games last year was I think they were always on Fridays. I played a couple an inevitably there was an injury that happened and I had to focus on my NFBC teams first and left injured guys in my daily lineup simply because I had much less at stake and ran out of time. I may look at doing more daily games on days other than Sunday and Friday this year. My guess is that most people that play in the NFBC would have to believe that they had an edge in the daily games because of all of the baseball knowledge they would have versus many in the daily games who may just be gamblers trying to hit the lottery.

Jon

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Gekko wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Greg - You have a monopoly on my message board posts 8-)
Not exactly what I wanted to see. :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Texas Connection wrote:It's funny I happen to be reading this while I am playing in the WSOP circuit event in Tunica, Mississippi. I happen to be wearing my fanduel.com free shirt that I got maybe 3 years ago from fanduel at the NFBC drafts. It use to be very few people knew what fanduel even was when I was playing these tournaments. Now it seems like all of the under 40 crowd at the events are playing them.

This morning at my table (before my set lost to a bigger set). The dealer played on fanduel and another guy had started playing 2 months ago. He said he did it just for entertainment and he didn't join earlier because he thought it might be similar to the whole black friday thing in poker when the government shut down all the U.S. internet poker sites. He really enjoyed the game and knew he was a small fish but he didn't care. I asked him if he would consider doing a season long game on NFBC. He had no interest and thought it would be too difficult and time consuming.

I am a huge baseball fan and believe I will always love the season long game. The problem I had with the NFBC only daily games last year was I think they were always on Fridays. I played a couple an inevitably there was an injury that happened and I had to focus on my NFBC teams first and left injured guys in my daily lineup simply because I had much less at stake and ran out of time. I may look at doing more daily games on days other than Sunday and Friday this year. My guess is that most people that play in the NFBC would have to believe that they had an edge in the daily games because of all of the baseball knowledge they would have versus many in the daily games who may just be gamblers trying to hit the lottery.

Jon
That's a good point and maybe we'll do those next year on Tuesdays when there's a full slate of MLB games and allow FanDuel to open it up to FanDuel members as well. A mix of NFBC and Fanduel owners battling for the Main Event free entry might be interesting. Good points and get the hell out of that casino right now!!! :lol:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:33 pm

As someone who has played both and had some legit success in DFS (making the FD Championship 2 of the last 3 years in baseball), my view is that DFS is simply too difficult at this point to win consistently at anything but the lower level games. Two/three years ago, it was easy money. Now, there are dozens of extremely intelligent DFS players who are playing DFS as a full-time job. Simply as a matter of time allocation, I can't do enough research to truly compete on a day to day basis with guys who have no other job. Unless you're unemployed or independently wealthy, you won't have the time to do the analytical work they are doing. You are going to get smoked if you try to grind it out everyday by spending 45 minutes picking your lineup. If that's your plan, don't play above $25 games.

At this point, I generally stick to large tournaments and qualifiers for the big money championships.
Last edited by Hells Satans on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsjanoff

Post by gsjanoff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I play both DFS and yearly leagues and like most players I play them both for different reasons.

As of now, I intend to keep playing both. Could there be a time when I resort to 1 over the other? Sure, but other factors would be in play causing me to do so, and if I’m being totally honest, DFS would win out over yearly leagues.

I have had success in both. My daily play has been much more successful than my yearly play, at least compared to results in yearly leagues that are only NFBC leagues, but that is part of the fun of NFBC as the level of player is superior to any other contest I have found and as a result, that is what makes the yearly leagues of the NFBC special to me.

The competition level is the #1 reason that draws me to the NFBC. The live drafts are second as I treat them as a vacation in addition to doing something I love. If the NFBC ever discontinued live drafts and went solely to an online format, that would probably be the end for me as at that point, the draft, which is the most fun part of the season, is nothing more than another draft, all be it, with better competition than most contests. In addition, the friendships you make with people doing the same thing you love to do are second to none. Frankly, after the draft, the rest of the season is pretty much downhill, unless you are having success early on and it keeps driving you. At least that’s my opinion.

There is a lot to be said for DFS as well. The main positive is immediate pay off if you win, and the lure of winning keeps you coming back. With season long leagues, you have many more considerations.

Winning at DFS requires an immense amount of time each day you play, but as some have pointed out, you play when you want and should only do so if you have the time to commit.

I personally find if you don’t put in the time to either DFS or yearly, you pay the price. Yearly requires prep time up front, and if it’s done right, a lot of prep time. Yearly also requires prep time weekly for FAAB.

Daily requires research each and every time you play, whether it researching splits for individuals, left versus right, or splits for teams home versus away, or weather factors, simply a planned day of rest for X player, or minor nagging injuries, extremely stupid line-up decisions by a team’s manager, and any number of other contributing factors.

I think both DFS and yearly require a little bit of luck, but it seems much less so on DFS as injuries are much less of a factor and depth is of no consequence since you can have anyone you want if you are willing to pay the price.

In a way, playing DFS is like competing in an auction league or multiple auction leagues each time you play. There is a threshold each of us is willing to pay for a player, and once that threshold is reached, we pass and go another direction, and since there are numerous ways to build a winning team, that adds to the allure.

I hate to say anything is truly easy when it comes to fantasy sports, but I do think it’s fair to say there is a lot more dead money in DFS than in the NFBC. I can’t speak for the NFFC having never played, but I suspect the same is true.

When I play DFS, I expect to make money, and I’m somewhat shocked when I don’t. I can’t say that about the NFBC, strictly because of the level of competition.

Ultimately, I hope to play both DFS and the NFBC for a very long time, as it’s a hobby I truly enjoy.

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:25 pm

DFS does not affect my season-long participation one bit. I think DFS may be the most overrated
fantasy thing ever. Daily is too random for my tastes and ya always have that pesky salary cap to deal with. Ya always seem to be looking for salary cap cheap plays, too much salary cap gaming rather than skill, Imo. It's beyond me why they don't go to a weeklong contest for baseball. I would totally do $100 week-long contest. Make it happen, DFS. But it won't affect my season long participation. You're stuck with me here, Ambrosius.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:53 am

COZ wrote:DFS does not affect my season-long participation one bit. I think DFS may be the most overrated
fantasy thing ever. Daily is too random for my tastes and ya always have that pesky salary cap to deal with. Ya always seem to be looking for salary cap cheap plays, too much salary cap gaming rather than skill, Imo. It's beyond me why they don't go to a weeklong contest for baseball. I would totally do $100 week-long contest. Make it happen, DFS. But it won't affect my season long participation. You're stuck with me here, Ambrosius.

COZ
I'm in the same boat. Daily leagues do nothing for me. I'm sure if you put in the time you can get good at it, but it feels like luck or the lottery to me. Baseball is a 162 game season. The best players have many crappy days. Would I love to own Mike Trout for the 2015 season? Sure (if I could ever get the first pick with this KDS system that hates me). Do I want to own Mike Trout on the third Wednesday in May? Who knows? Jeff Francoeur might be better that day.

I've tried the Fanduel promotion where you invest $50 with them and get a $100 NFBC credit, but, honestly, I did it more because I felt I'd be stupid not to as opposed to any great desire to play in daily leagues. Hell, for the same reason, I'd do that promotion again this year, but I would not expect to "get into" the daily leagues or play them once that $50 was gone.

I don't mean to knock daily leagues, the people who play them or folks who excel at them based on real skill and dedication - they are just not for me. Similarly, compared to NFBC-style roto, head-to-head and points leagues don't do much for me anymore. Hopefully, daily fantasy sports will bring more folks into fantasy baseball and we can convert them into season-long players. To me, there is nothing more satisfying from a fantasy perspective than drafting a team and managing it to victory roto-style over the entire marathon-long baseball season.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Corleone

Post by Corleone » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:07 am

I've been playing season long leagues for 20+ years and NFBC for 5. I just started playing DFS at the beginning of the 2014 MLB season and i'm hooked.

I love the daily lineup building and salary cap management. I've had some success in GPPs (mainly NBA) without spending hours every day pouring over spreadsheets. I just try to locate the best value and good situations for players to thrive. Also - rotogrinders.com FTW.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but in DFS you always get to wipe the slate clean for the next day. If I draft this year's Kris Medlen in round 9 of my Draft Champions league I'm stuck with that the entire season.

I'll never stop playing season long, particularly the DC format which is by far my favorite of any fantasy league I play, but DFS has definitely captured a good chunk of my attention.

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:49 am

Personally not a fan on DFS unless its somehow tied to the NFBC. (Drop $50 in to get $100 off entry or Win a NFBC main event entry contest)

Can we get on the "Win a Main Event Entry" Fanduel game earlier this year? They started off hot last year then fell off quickly once we couldn't fill them. I think this was due to waiting for the Fanduel link which always came out too late. Probably not an easy change since it's their game.

Assuming fanduel systems cooperate why not try to have early signups? I don't think we need to know the player prices first in order to decide whether to signup. Especially at the start of the season when you have 100% attention of all owners. This will tie in very well with the deposit promotion. Some like myself will just turn that Fanduel deposit into the "Main Event Entry" tournament. I assume you could really knock out a bunch of these in April. Just an idea. Thanks

Jason

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:13 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:I'm in the same boat. Daily leagues do nothing for me. I'm sure if you put in the time you can get good at it, but it feels like luck or the lottery to me.
I played Daily football for the first time this season and I found it was impossible to ignore the lotto feel of it all. The two things I didn't like about Daily were the lotto feel and having the entire NFL player pool to choose from. I'm an old-school fantasy guy I guess. I like having my team and figuring out how best to attack each week with the players on my roster. It's the "You're the GM" aspect of the game I find most enjoyable.

Addressing the lotto aspect, in two of the tourneys I played in during the NFL divisional round in the playoffs one winner was due to having Davante Adams in their lineup and another was due to having Danny Amendola. From a fantasy perspective, there really was no good reason to start either one of those guys that week except neither one was dead and both were dirt cheap. But what I found in Daily football were the big winners were the guys who were able to find the most obscure players to have big weeks. That runs contrary to season-long where, typically, it's the most talented players who help you win big.

On our Sirius show and on Twitter I talk about "Go For Broke" plays in fantasy football late in the season when you need to roll the dice and take a shot at a guy who could blow up but comes with the risk of getting you a zero. I do not advise people starting those types of players until late in the season when it's make or break time. However, in Daily football you have to start those guys every week if you want to win big. At least that's how it seemed to me.

I enjoyed the Daily football experience overall. I'll keep doing it next season on some level. But the two things it can't duplicate for me are the fun of the drafting experience and all the prep work that goes into that (which is something I personally enjoy) and having a team to manage as opposed to having every player in the league at my disposal.

Ultimately, though the great thing is that both formats offer things the other does not. However, I don't look at it like an either-or situation. That's one thing I think the industry needs to avoid doing - pitting the formats against one another. I went off on that on our Sirius show last year because I felt there were people on the channel beginning to do too much of that and I found it unnecessary and counterproductive. I believe we should be doing everything to embrace all formats which brings new players to the industry. That's the best way to help this industry continue to grow and prosper.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Red Sox Nation- wrote:Personally not a fan on DFS unless its somehow tied to the NFBC. (Drop $50 in to get $100 off entry or Win a NFBC main event entry contest)

Can we get on the "Win a Main Event Entry" Fanduel game earlier this year? They started off hot last year then fell off quickly once we couldn't fill them. I think this was due to waiting for the Fanduel link which always came out too late. Probably not an easy change since it's their game.

Assuming fanduel systems cooperate why not try to have early signups? I don't think we need to know the player prices first in order to decide whether to signup. Especially at the start of the season when you have 100% attention of all owners. This will tie in very well with the deposit promotion. Some like myself will just turn that Fanduel deposit into the "Main Event Entry" tournament. I assume you could really knock out a bunch of these in April. Just an idea. Thanks

Jason
Good idea on the early signups. I like that idea. And you guys tell me which day works best for you; maybe Tuesday is the best day to do this with full lineups. That way you're not working on FAAB like on Fridays. Just say the word.

Fanduel has gotten so big that getting them to create this special contest isn't easy, but I'll talk with them after we've agreed to everything and see if we can get a good contact there to do this. I think we can make this happen with NFBC only members, but allowing non-NFBC members might not be a bad solution to filling these all up each week. Should be fun.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:06 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Red Sox Nation- wrote:Personally not a fan on DFS unless its somehow tied to the NFBC. (Drop $50 in to get $100 off entry or Win a NFBC main event entry contest)

Jason
Good idea on the early signups. I like that idea. And you guys tell me which day works best for you; maybe Tuesday is the best day to do this with full lineups. That way you're not working on FAAB like on Fridays. Just say the word.

Fanduel has gotten so big that getting them to create this special contest isn't easy, but I'll talk with them after we've agreed to everything and see if we can get a good contact there to do this. I think we can make this happen with NFBC only members, but allowing non-NFBC members might not be a bad solution to filling these all up each week. Should be fun.
Tuesday sounds like a good idea. Mon-Fri-Sun require attention to our lineups/FAAB. Try Tuesday to start. Thanks

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Jason

+1
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:11 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
The two things I didn't like about Daily were the lotto feel and having the entire NFL player pool to choose from. I'm an old-school fantasy guy I guess. I like having my team and figuring out how best to attack each week with the players on my roster. It's the "You're the GM" aspect of the game I find most enjoyable.

But what I found in Daily football were the big winners were the guys who were able to find the most obscure players to have big weeks. That runs contrary to season-long where, typically, it's the most talented players who help you win big.
Nailed it!

COZ

COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci