Signs you could have a sociopath in your DC league

mdecav

Signs you could have a sociopath in your DC league

Post by mdecav » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:19 am

1. Announces early on in the chat room he's "not there to make friends"
2. Gets into juvenile arguments with multiple owners...
2b. ...to the point where the administrator (presumably Tom) has to step in
3. Purposely does not use auto-pick
4. Announces to everyone - on more than one occasion - he will take 5+ hours to make his pick because he's busy
5. Names a player in the chat room before the player has been drafted

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Signs you could have a sociopath in your DC league

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:38 am

mdecav wrote:1. Announces early on in the chat room he's "not there to make friends"
4. Announces to everyone - on more than one occasion - he will take 5+ hours to make his pick because he's busy
I feel for you.
These types of owners simply have their own agenda's. The sad thing is that we are at their mercy.
And their is little mercy in the heart of the fellow described.
Luckily, I feel that drafters like him are getting fewer and farther between. Most drafters are courteous and just want to have a good time in having a draft.

This year, I decided to draft with a fellow I have never seen eye to eye with. I disliked the thought that I couldn't get along with somebody in the NFBC.
That didn't work out and I have resolved just to stay away from this drafter in the future.
Last year, I started a list of drafters that were making drafts uncomfortable for others in leagues.
It was both the right and wrong thing to do.
It was right in that it was helping others in knowing who makes drafts slow, tedious, and uncomfrortable.
It was wrong because their may have been a reason in personal lives for some drafters making those drafts slow.
I advise folks now, to make personal lists. If not enjoying a draft with somebody or see a name on the Message Boards that is making life tough for other drafters, make a note to avoid him.

Overall, my drafting experience has been wonderful in Draft Championships.
Most have been attentive, communicative, and just happy to be drafting.
The fast/slows have been AWESOME.
By the same token, I've been in drafts with a knucklehead like the one you have.
It only takes one guy soiling a draft room to turn the draft from "This is awesome" to "I swear, I will never do another one of these things again".
Good luck.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 am

And yet my no-cost, no-IT solution that solves 90% of this problem continues to go un-heeded, 3 years and running ... :oops:

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:51 am

mdecav wrote:1. Announces early on in the chat room he's "not there to make friends"
LOL. Bingo. Love the guy who's all business and "not there to make any friends"-types. They never chat, never acknowledge their slowness, never apologize for lengthy delays, and always have a quirky drafting system to prove how much smarter they are than everyone else. It's the cold-blooded, I'm-just-here-because-of-the-ROI, poker-ization of the Fantasy Baseball world.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:08 am

COZ wrote:
LOL. Bingo. Love the guy who's all business and "not there to make any friends"-types. They never chat, never acknowledge their slowness, never apologize for lengthy delays, and always have a quirky drafting system to prove how much smarter they are than everyone else. It's the cold-blooded, I'm-just-here-because-of-the-ROI, poker-ization of the Fantasy Baseball world.

COZ
Actually, he's worse. He's very vocal when it's not his turn, but when it's his turn he goes silent. So far we are almost four hours into his pick today. I forgot to mention this originally but when people started complaining about him delaying his pick, he posts a cell number to text him when his pick his up. Then later he tells the league that's not his number but a gambling site that only provides multiple incoming texts that you can't stop. I have no idea if that's true but even posting that crap gives you an idea of his mental state.
Last edited by mdecav on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:11 am

KJ Duke wrote:And yet my no-cost, no-IT solution that solves 90% of this problem continues to go un-heeded, 3 years and running ... :oops:
What was it again? Would love to hear it. Perhaps we can petition for it together to finally make it happen.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:55 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote: feel for you.
These types of owners simply have their own agenda's. The sad thing is that we are at their mercy.
And their is little mercy in the heart of the fellow described.
Luckily, I feel that drafters like him are getting fewer and farther between. Most drafters are courteous and just want to have a good time in having a draft.

This year, I decided to draft with a fellow I have never seen eye to eye with. I disliked the thought that I couldn't get along with somebody in the NFBC.
That didn't work out and I have resolved just to stay away from this drafter in the future.
Last year, I started a list of drafters that were making drafts uncomfortable for others in leagues.
It was both the right and wrong thing to do.
It was right in that it was helping others in knowing who makes drafts slow, tedious, and uncomfrortable.
It was wrong because their may have been a reason in personal lives for some drafters making those drafts slow.
I advise folks now, to make personal lists. If not enjoying a draft with somebody or see a name on the Message Boards that is making life tough for other drafters, make a note to avoid him.

Overall, my drafting experience has been wonderful in Draft Championships.
Most have been attentive, communicative, and just happy to be drafting.
The fast/slows have been AWESOME.
By the same token, I've been in drafts with a knucklehead like the one you have.
It only takes one guy soiling a draft room to turn the draft from "This is awesome" to "I swear, I will never do another one of these things again".
Good luck.
I don't do nearly as many drafts as most on these boards do, and the ones I have done have been relatively good (less the one DC last year when the first pick took over an hour. Really?? First pick?? Okay...something about time difference and all..).

But just an observation..
If these mal-participants (good word, eh?) are so busy taunting and stirring the pot, I wonder how their actual draft/baseball acumen really is? As annoying as they may be, might it be that they are spending too much time doing things other than focusing on the draft at hand and distracting you/us too? And "we" are letting them have our attention.
Maybe I'm just not that good (and I'm not), but I wouldn't have the time or focus to come off the draft to complain.

Here's what I'm getting at....
Dan..I'd be curious, as you identified some players in last year's memorable thread, I wonder how those players actually finished. I wonder if they are really the quote/unquote dead money? In which case, maybe we look at them in a slightly different light. Instead of being a hindrance and a bother, maybe we should look at them as that poker player who doesn't know when to call or raise. We should just humor them...take their money...and move on. Worry about the real players and how their roster is being constructed. To quote a popular song "I got one less problem wit out you". :lol:

I'd bet if we matched those names to their finishes last year, we might find a correlation to ability.
Sorry...maybe its just the former coach in me, but I spent a fair amount of time trying to subtly (as opposed to these gentlemen) refocus my opponents attention. And I'm careful to also not fall prey to those tricks.

Meh...my 2 cents on a boring snowy Tuesday in NJ.
Now pardon me while I get back to my fantasy prep. :ugeek:

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Please add 6. Stays on the clock with the #1 overall pick.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Last year, I was picking 14th and the guy picking 15th took Feliz. A few rounds later, I took Soria, apparently right before before he was about to handcuff them together and the dude just flipped out. Cussed me out and disappeared for eight hours. Then took another eight count with his turnaround pick. I thought that was a wee bit of an overreaction. :lol: