FAST Draft Champions Leagues Now On Registration

Greg Ambrosius

FAST Draft Champions Leagues Now On Registration

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:08 pm

We have added another layer to the Draft Champions Leagues which are available now on Registration. These new $150 and $400 FAST Draft Champions Leagues are for owners who don't want to wait hours for their picks; they will be available to make picks quickly during the day. Here's where you can find them on Registration:

Click on Sign Up Now
Under Games 1 on your Registration page pull all the way down to the bottom
There you will see links for $150 Draft Champions (4 Hours) & $400 Draft Champions (4 Hours)

Those leagues will automate separately from the regular $150 DCs and will form once we get 15 teams. We will add this separately on the Countdown page as well (they aren't on there yet) and will have separate signup threads for these FAST drafts. Nobody has to jump on a message board thread to join a FAST league; just sign up online and we'll promote the names in the next FAST draft.

Anyone who enters this format must know the mantra that has been set by the NFBC community. Doughboys listed it here:

"A fast/slow draft is reserved for those who maintain constant access with phone or computer.
Expectations are that they will draft within minutes of being up in a draft. And if not, communicating to others why they will not.
Most fast/slow picks are made in seconds, some in minutes, hours for the dead of night only'

In a good Draft Championship draft, the clock becomes a non factor."

These are reserved for those owners who understand that they will be ready to draft and that this league might get done in less than a week. The clock is set at 4 hours per pick, but only at night will that be a factor. At night the league will agree to have two owners have their next picks in their Que and to let the 4 hour clocks run through until the next day's draft starts up. Communication is the key during the day and at night. Again, only sign up for these 4-hour Draft Champions Leagues if you are comfortable with this FAST 50-round format.

The option is now available. Good luck all and hopefully this helps. On the signup thread for these DCs, we will add this link to the Signup List for all to see. Good luck all and enjoy. Hopefully this will be a popular alternative to what is already a very successful DC format. Thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad the option is now on Registration.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mdecav

Re: FAST Draft Champions Leagues Now On Registration

Post by mdecav » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Great to see this in motion, Greg!

From a programming sense I still suggest for 2016 that all DC's go to four hours except for an 8 hour window where each owner can choose if they wish to have the larger window when they go to sleep. I love faster DC's but I'd like to go to sleep at night knowing my pick won't necessarily come up. Yes the auto-pick is effective but I often have those "if-then" situations occur depending on who picks before me which an auto-pick cannot do.

Brock

Post by Brock » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm looking forward to drafting in one of these. The feedback has been tremendous so this format sounds great. Thanks NFBC.

Doggy

Post by Doggy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:20 pm

The rules should be explained better as im in the 2nd day of my Fast/Slow and only on round 8. i think my low draft was about the same. Rules say it should be much faster.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Doggy wrote:The rules should be explained better as im in the 2nd day of my Fast/Slow and only on round 8. i think my low draft was about the same. Rules say it should be much faster.
This one started 27 hours ago and is almost through Round 9. Getting through 7-8 rounds per day is easily much faster than an 8-hour DC. There's nothing wrong with getting this one done in 7 days, which is the pace you are on. Good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Guys are taking turns vanishing for 2-4 hours which would be fine if we had a way to contact them when they're on the clock but some refuse claiming they check regularly. I was optimistic because we have 9 cell phone numbers but it hasn't helped.

Greg, if you had the cooperation of a facilitator, would it be feasible (if not a mild pain) to have a 1-hour DC where the facilitator called you at a time convenient for you between 7-9PM CST and you could change it manually to an 8 hour until the facilitator called you again between 9-10AM CST?

The guys who want it fast want it really fast but no one is comfortable going to bed at night with the thought they might go on the clock and miss a run or have their queue drained. I tell them to load up the queue with players but it sounds like they only put in 3-6 max. We already know it's a good idea to do Draft Prep so guys like Kuroda don't wind up getting auto picked but the database is so big I think many are reluctant.

Can the clock change on the fly like that?

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Oh boy. 9 rounds in 27 hours and we want a facilitator to call everyone?? :shock: Carry on. I'm going back to bed and starting this day over. This has to be a bad dream...this can't be real. I've never seen a day like this in 12 years of running this contest. :oops:
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:40 pm

this is/was definitely a rare day. it's almost like 90% of the folks had their drinks spiked at breakfast. train wreck after train wreck. must be getting close to spring training. 8-)

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Oh boy. 9 rounds in 27 hours and we want a facilitator to call everyone?? :shock: Carry on. I'm going back to bed and starting this day over. This has to be a bad dream...this can't be real. I've never seen a day like this in 12 years of running this contest. :oops:

Not sure how you misunderstood my question.

As an example I'm the facilitator for the current DCx4hrs. At 10pm ET I call you or Tom and you guys switch the league from a 1 hour clock to an 8 hour clock. The draft continues. Tomorrow I call you at 10am ET and you put it back to a 1 hour clock. Solves the problem of people signing up for a "fast draft" but then disappearing for hours at a time while on the clock and also alleviates the fears managers have of winding up on the clock at 3am.

I don't mind the pace we've got now but these guys take turns going awol and everyone in chat starts to ask why they agreed to sign up for a fast draft and why didn't they read the rules.

We know there's no hope for the software to change so I'm throwing out ideas trying to help the customer experience for your customers. Let's make it better for them and watch registrations multiply. The overall top prize for the DC could double.

Who said anything about "calling everyone" ??

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:30 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Oh boy. 9 rounds in 27 hours and we want a facilitator to call everyone?? :shock: Carry on. I'm going back to bed and starting this day over. This has to be a bad dream...this can't be real. I've never seen a day like this in 12 years of running this contest. :oops:

LMFAO! I feel for you, Greg. I can take over from here if you'd like. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Interesting in reading this thread how some people live in LA LA Land. You can find it on the map just west of Douchebagville where Hughes lives and Dobies looks forward to visiting soon. I'm driving. :twisted:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 am

Baseball Furies wrote:

LMFAO! I feel for you, Greg. I can take over from here if you'd like. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Interesting in reading this thread how some people live in LA LA Land. You can find it on the map just west of Douchebagville where Hughes lives and Dobies looks forward to visiting soon. I'm driving. :twisted:

Mikey doesn't play the DCs except when he can choose his competitors, right? So who are you catering to Greg?

Perhaps this genius can give you a better idea on how to keep things moving in a format where the participants have agreed in advance it's to be a FAST slow draft.

Awaiting his insightful wisdom.
What helps you more Greg, ideas or insults?

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:52 am

Deadheadz wrote:

Not sure how you misunderstood my question.

As an example I'm the facilitator for the current DCx4hrs. At 10pm ET I call you or Tom and you guys switch the league from a 1 hour clock to an 8 hour clock. The draft continues. Tomorrow I call you at 10am ET and you put it back to a 1 hour clock. Solves the problem of people signing up for a "fast draft" but then disappearing for hours at a time while on the clock and also alleviates the fears managers have of winding up on the clock at 3am.

I don't mind the pace we've got now but these guys take turns going awol and everyone in chat starts to ask why they agreed to sign up for a fast draft and why didn't they read the rules.

We know there's no hope for the software to change so I'm throwing out ideas trying to help the customer experience for your customers. Let's make it better for them and watch registrations multiply. The overall top prize for the DC could double.

Who said anything about "calling everyone" ??

No, I didn't misunderstand and no I don't want phone calls at 10 or 11 pm ET so that I can change the clock. 8 rounds a day is a FAST draft. I have no problems with that. I can't make the customer experience PERFECT for everyone; I assume some in your league are happy with that pace and others want it faster. It's the same feelings people have in online drafts, live drafts and even in-person conversations. Not everyone picks at exactly the same pace, but at the end of the day we have a great draft and a great league. Enjoy it rather than always finding what's wrong about it and looking for a new solution.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:52 am

This must be Groundhog Day. Again, please just post about baseball, boys.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:No, I didn't misunderstand and no I don't want phone calls at 10 or 11 pm ET so that I can change the clock.
Somewhere in a once quiet spot in Iola at around 10-11pm.....

Will today never end????

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:29 am

Fine Greg.

No more complaints. No more push to improve the DCs.
If the fast slows wither, it was meant to be.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 am

FYI the current FAST DC has completed 14 rounds in 47 hours. Hope that meets your expectations folks.

Not complaining, just stating a fact.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am

Deadheadz wrote:.

FYI the current FAST DC has completed 14 rounds in 47 hours. Hope that meets your expectations folks.

Not complaining, just stating a fact.

So 7 rounds a day. Complete in 7 days. It's Feb. 19th and you'll be done around Feb. 24th. Mission accomplished. Not complaining, just stating a fact.

Dude, these are YOUR leagues. Is this an upgrade from a 14-21 day draft? Yes. Is there a prize for being done in 5 days rather than 7 days?? No. I mean, the two previous FAST drafts were done in 5 days and 6 days. Why is your pace such a problem for this format? Please don't answer. We'll discuss on the phone rather than bore everyone here. And correct, if this format doesn't fly, that's for all of you to decide. But it appears to be an option that is working, and yet the majority still like the 8-hour option. Options are good. Options work.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Corleone

Post by Corleone » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 am

I've been part of both Fast/Slow drafts and I think they are a great addition overall. Even with draft #2 being significantly slower than #1, it is still a big step up in speed from the usual 8 hour DC.

I think those of us who were in #1 expected a similar lightning round pace like #1 showed us was possible. It hasn't worked out that way but still enjoyable and worthwhile to have that option.